HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Which Vets to Retain?

Old
10-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Pantherfan12

vCash: 500
Keep:
Dvorak
Reasoner
Weaver
**Higgins** depends on how he does on offense.
**Vokoun** depends on playoff race,if we're in and can re-sign him to a one/two year contract then yes, if we're out and get a good package,then no.

Let go:
Allen
McCabe
Stillman
Reinprecht

We'd be opening up cap space to re-sign players we need, youth who need to be signed and possibly go get some offensive threat (Semin comes to mind because I hear rumors that he and Washington aren't happy) I am not sure how credible the sources are when it comes to Semin and I am sure a lot of people would be against it because they think he is a one dimentional player, but that's kind of what we need. We seem to have the gritty,hard-working, big hearted, no nonsense team players, so all we're missing is that one guy who can score goals whether he can be two-dimentional or one dimentional. I can see a top line of Booth-Matthias-Semin and I picked this line because Booth has been our leading scorer and fan favorite. Matthias is definately coming into his own, a big 6'4 center who has been pretty impressive and then Semin who is that natural goal scoring phenomenon. (day dreaming, sorry)

I want to take a risk and let Ellerby and Gudbranson have the spots currently held by McCabe and Allen. Right now, I think Ellerby is getting his chance to shine and has done a good job so far. I know it's a big risk because both Allen and McCabe bring leadership and toughness to our blueline but I think we need to make room for these guys because they are the future and need a chance to get the experience under their belts to be successful. We're supposedly in a rebuilding phase anyways, so mine as well let these guys get the experience and learn to gel with each other.

Last edited by Pantherfan12: 10-25-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 03:28 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Well I looked back at GP's thread on the Revolving Doors of Change from earlier this offseason to just check out how many spots were actually opened up. It seemed that yes only that 1 spot was opened up for either Santorelli or Grabner. What I found more interesting is that out of the 11 spots that I saw turnover from last yr, only 2 full-time spots were actually filled from within the org (Garrison, Matthias). So even if any of the current vets are traded, its only likely going to open up 1 spot for anyone inside the org. Here's how I saw it:
OUT IN
Dominic MooreShawn Matthias
Jordan LeopoldJason Garrison
Dennis SeidenbergMike Weaver
Keith BallardDennis Wideman
Nathan HortonChris Higgins
Greg CampbellMarty Reasoner
Victor OreskovichSteve Bernier
Kamil KrepsMike Santorelli
Nick TarnaskyByron Bitz
Steve MacIntyreDarcy Hordichuk
Its worth watching but Higgins hasnt gotten on the scoreboard yet so he could be traded at the deadline this yr. And there's the obvious where Stillman isnt going to be coming back I think so there's your 1-2 spots plus there's always a chance that Hordichuk isnt retained. Then you can give spots to Repik & Duco (only guys that appear NHL-ready) and have an open spot up for competition or for Couturier/RNH/draftee. I would not expect McFarland, Wilson or Howden to make the roster next season.Some teams get desparate at the deadline, especially the contenders with limited cap space. We got a 2nd from Boston for Seidenberg along with Bitz. Sure Weaver isnt on the same level as Seidenberg but maybe a team would give up a 3rd and a good player for Weaver. And as much as I like Weaver, he's still replacable just like the guys you've been talking about above. As you mentioned, if we're going for a rebuild with youth, why not start when you have a guy like Ellerby thats obviously NHL-ready and can step right in now.Yeah I dont think any of us have to like it really. But defense seems to be where there is less flexibility on the roster. If they wanted to retain McCabe that really puts guys like Ellerby & Gudbranson versus Allen & Weaver in tough situations. And the way I see it, that would mean vets would have to be on the way out for both of the youngsters to make the squad (as I expect). The only reason I could see Allen being moved is so the team can upgrade at forward really.

For fun, this is what I could also see our roster looking like next yr (with a few assumptions):

FORWARDS
David Booth ($4.250m) / Stephen Weiss ($3.100m) / Michael Frolik ($2.750m)
Rostislav Olesz ($3.125m) / Shawn Matthias ($0.795m) / Mike Santorelli ($0.600m)
Steven Reinprecht ($2.050m) / Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ($3.500m) / Radek Dvorak ($1.500m)
Mike Duco ($0.550m) / Marty Reasoner ($1.200m) / Michal Repik ($0.875m)
Kenndal McArdle ($0.803m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dmitri Kulikov ($1.325m) / Bryan McCabe ($2.750m)
Dennis Wideman ($3.937m) / Erik Gudbranson ($3.200m)
Jason Garrison ($0.675m) / Keaton Ellerby ($1.200m)
Mike Weaver ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Jacob Markstrom ($1.300m) /Scott Clemmensen ($1.200m)
That fourth line is too small on the wings, I'd rather have Bernier on it.
I hope Rhino is not in our lineup next year.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Just a nitpick. I agree almost 100% with your projected roster next year (except maybe for retaining McCabe and the Nugent-Hopkins assumption) but even if Gudbranson hits all his bonuses I have doubts his cap hit will be at $3.2 million.
I just took Duchesne's contract as a max if he hits all the bonuses for his cap hit. Generally when the league calculates the cap hits at the beginning of the season, they factor in the max bonuses even if the player may not hit all the bonuses to figure out the team's cap space. Thats all I was really doing.

As far as McCabe and the RNH assumption, I think we've covered the Caber situation in full. The team would like him to return...if he was willing to at that cap hit, I think he could return. I just figured RNH is a Tallon-type of player like Patrick Kane and just a totally guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
That fourth line is too small on the wings, I'd rather have Bernier on it.
I hope Rhino is not in our lineup next year.
I'd be fine with Bernier returning but only at a reduced rate from what he's getting now. Unless Tallon can find a taker for him (which I highly doubt), I would expect Rhino to return.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 07:46 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I just took Duchesne's contract as a max if he hits all the bonuses for his cap hit. Generally when the league calculates the cap hits at the beginning of the season, they factor in the max bonuses even if the player may not hit all the bonuses to figure out the team's cap space. Thats all I was really doing.

As far as McCabe and the RNH assumption, I think we've covered the Caber situation in full. The team would like him to return...if he was willing to at that cap hit, I think he could return. I just figured RNH is a Tallon-type of player like Patrick Kane and just a totally guess.I'd be fine with Bernier returning but only at a reduced rate from what he's getting now. Unless Tallon can find a taker for him (which I highly doubt), I would expect Rhino to return.
Can Bernier return at a reduced rate though, or do we have to bring him back at his current salary? I'd keep him if he resigned at his current 2M, but I would not resign him if he wants a raise as he's already slightly overpaid.

I also don't think Olesz will be back, even with his good start. Unless he shows he can stay healthy and score at least 20 goals, we simply cannot keep him and pay him top 6 money, especially with his contract getting more expensive each year.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:11 PM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
I also don't think Olesz will be back, even with his good start. Unless he shows he can stay healthy and score at least 20 goals, we simply cannot keep him and pay him top 6 money, especially with his contract getting more expensive each year.
How are we supposed to get rid of him though? Buy out?

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

How is Bernier overpaid? He's been one of our best players so far, is finally the guy we've been looking for to put in front of the net, screens, hangs around the net. Unless he totally disappoints, I expect he'll be back next season. He's off to a good start this season, and is totally worth qualifying in the summer if he keeps up this level of play.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 02:02 AM
SoulAssassin

Of the current cast of players, I wouldnt be keeping much past Booth, Weiss, Wideman, Ellerby and Kulikov. Vokoun, Reinprecht, Frolik and Olesz there should be a market for. Maybe a smaller one for guys like McCabe, Allen and Stillman with their bigger contracts. Weaver, Hordichuk, Reasoner, Dvorak and even Bernier should be able to find spots as depth guys on teams pushing for the playoffs. Higgins could fit that group but not with his current play.

I know its usually not possible to do, but Id love to see the franchise ripped apart and completely rebuilt. The prospect pool needs to be built up, and the team needs to rid itself of the overpaid.

Stillman wont be back, and I dont think McCabe is worth bringing back. Neither is Higgins, Dvorak or Bernier for that matter. These guys are not top 6 guys on any team but Florida, with the exception of Stillman who is old. Even Reasoner is playing above his level this year.

SoulAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:04 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulAssassin View Post
Of the current cast of players, I wouldnt be keeping much past Booth, Weiss, Wideman, Ellerby and Kulikov. Vokoun, Reinprecht, Frolik and Olesz there should be a market for. Maybe a smaller one for guys like McCabe, Allen and Stillman with their bigger contracts. Weaver, Hordichuk, Reasoner, Dvorak and even Bernier should be able to find spots as depth guys on teams pushing for the playoffs. Higgins could fit that group but not with his current play.

I know its usually not possible to do, but Id love to see the franchise ripped apart and completely rebuilt. The prospect pool needs to be built up, and the team needs to rid itself of the overpaid.

Stillman wont be back, and I dont think McCabe is worth bringing back. Neither is Higgins, Dvorak or Bernier for that matter. These guys are not top 6 guys on any team but Florida, with the exception of Stillman who is old. Even Reasoner is playing above his level this year.
Guys, help me out on this one... Can't take it anymore..

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:08 AM
SoulAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFLA View Post
Guys, help me out on this one... Can't take it anymore..
What part? The truth of the whole matter, or thinking about the team rebuilding yet again?

SoulAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:52 AM
zeroG

Quote:
What part? The truth of the whole matter, or thinking about the team rebuilding yet again?
every part. bad post.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Reasoner, Dvorak, and Weaver I would most definately bring back in a heartbeat. These guys have been important to our team this season and have really given 110%and they are all reasons why we are doing well on the PK and really just play a sound hockey. I agree with Stillman,McCabe,Allen,and Reinprecht because of age and salary. I would also get rid of Clemmensen and if we have no other choice, trade Vokoun for best possible assets at the deadline so we can continue building this team into a contender. I wouldn't trade Frolik yet as I think he is going to blossom into an even better top 6 forward once he finds his groove this season, so I don't want to give up on him. Are we really that far off? I think our biggest weakness is offense and I believe it can and will be addressed this coming offseason. I just don't believe a total rebuild, yet again, from this point on is a smart move to make. Tallon said it himself that the Panthers are in a better position for success then Chicago was when he took over, and look at them now.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote