HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Expected to go up 3.5M$-4.5M$

Old
11-02-2010, 05:37 PM
ChoseLa

vCash: 500
Does that mean that Gomez's contract is starting to look less like cap hell?

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
Since Gomez's contract is front loaded, maybe just maybe another team will want him at 7.5, 5.5 then 4.5 for the next 3 years. If the cap goes up, the floor goes up as well. Maybe some team struggling to make it will want him.

Then we sign Richards. Is there a website with a list of all the availible UFAs next year?
Why is everybody talking about Richards nowadays?

If I remember correctly, The Habs weren't on the list of teams he would have accepted to go when Tamp traded him, what makes you think it has changed?

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
It also makes the Plek contract look better than ever.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Toro

Not sure the cap going up is a complete benefit to us. Other teams in our conference will have more space too. Pittsburgh may have money for a real winger Phili may have money for a goalie, Washington will have money for depth. NY Rangers will have more money to spend on goons same with Toronto. Not sure it will really help Montreal.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfboards2010 View Post
Capgeek has a list.

Looking at that list makes me think the media will pressure management to go after Gange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Not sure the cap going up is a complete benefit to us. Other teams in our conference will have more space too. Pittsburgh may have money for a real winger Phili may have money for a goalie, Washington will have money for depth. NY Rangers will have more money to spend on goons same with Toronto. Not sure it will really help Montreal.
But all of those new signings contract will probably go up relative to the cap increase, where as our core is locked up for 4 more years (other than Markov).

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
But all of those new signings contract will probably go up relative to the cap increase, where as our core is locked up for 4 more years (other than Markov).
same with Pittsburgh and Phili

Old
11-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
His salary still count on the cap even if you buy him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
they can burry him in AHL but the habs have too much class to do this.
If he signs with the KHL, his cap doesn't count, if I am not mistaken.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 06:59 PM
le_sean

Wow, it would be great to get a guy like Pitkanen. Probably never happen though. I just want them to sign defencemen that can skate, no more of this veteran crap.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
7,4 on 48 = 15,4% of total cap

7,4 on 63 = 11,7%

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
wow. we can really go shopping for defense this summer.
Three million to Ian White, three and a half if Calgary whines and tries to match. Him pairing up with Gorges on the second defensive unit would be awesome. We need a winger in addition to defense, hence why I would love to sign White. Added bonus, it would annoy Leaf fans.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:50 PM
NewHabsEra*

Cool, we will have even more money to spend on Defensemen..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 01:38 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Sign any 2 of: Semin, Ehrhoff, Kaberle, Pitkanen, Backes

Cap room comes from Hamrlik's salary + 4 M cap increase. Pipe dream, I know.

Playmaker09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:08 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Anyways this easily covers Markov and AK46's contract raises
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Its still early but Gomez should be buried in the minors without hesitation if he gets less than 50 points this year. If he's still terrible at the trade deadline a solution should be found then.

You thinking that AK46 deserves a raise and also saying that Gomez should be buried in the minors makes me lol and gives me little faith in your knowledge as a hockey fan. Your too obsessed with your name sake.

I'm a Habs fan. I really hope AK has a break out year but even if he does, he doesn't deserve a raise, he hasn't been earning his salary for the past 2 years. I have no problems with him getting $3.5 to 4m for 3-4 years if he can score 25 goals this year.

But expecting him to get a raise is lol. Do you think he is a $5m player? Because your suggesting that we spend the increased cap space on him next year. fwiw I don't think Markov deserves a raise either, I think his salary cap hit is where it should be going forward given his injury history and taking into consideration the standard hometown discount.

Gomez played an integral role in us reaching the Stanley Cup finals, Andrei did not. In the playoffs, I'd almost rather take Sergei than Andrei tbh. Knowing these facts, you'd honestly give Ak a raise and bury Gomez in the minors if you were GM?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:58 AM
Lars Eller Superstar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Cool, we will have even more money to spend on Defensemen..
same for other teams ...

Lars Eller Superstar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Should be enough to get Erik Cole to play on the top line.
It would be enough to get me too Cole is finished, he has been for at least a year. Stay away from players made of glass! We should be looking for guys like Backes, not guys at the end of their careers.

Last edited by Ginu: 11-03-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:40 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarto View Post
Great! Now we can buy out Spacek.

We can never buy out Spacek. Our only option is to find someone who would trade for him.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:41 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Gomez played an integral role in us reaching the Stanley Cup finals, Andrei did not. In the playoffs, I'd almost rather take Sergei than Andrei tbh. Knowing these facts, you'd honestly give Ak a raise and bury Gomez in the minors if you were GM?
Integral role? Sergei over Andrei?

These are not facts they are your opinions and they belong on the comedy circuit.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Integral role? Sergei over Andrei?

These are not facts they are your opinions and they belong on the comedy circuit.
Stanley Cup Finals?? I can't quote the guy u quoted.

Old
11-03-2010, 10:56 AM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
You thinking that AK46 deserves a raise and also saying that Gomez should be buried in the minors makes me lol and gives me little faith in your knowledge as a hockey fan. Your too obsessed with your name sake.

I'm a Habs fan. I really hope AK has a break out year but even if he does, he doesn't deserve a raise, he hasn't been earning his salary for the past 2 years. I have no problems with him getting $3.5 to 4m for 3-4 years if he can score 25 goals this year.

But expecting him to get a raise is lol. Do you think he is a $5m player? Because your suggesting that we spend the increased cap space on him next year. fwiw I don't think Markov deserves a raise either, I think his salary cap hit is where it should be going forward given his injury history and taking into consideration the standard hometown discount.

Andrei is making 3.25 million, so 3.5-4 million would be a raise...

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:12 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
Why is everybody talking about Richards nowadays?

If I remember correctly, The Habs weren't on the list of teams he would have accepted to go when Tamp traded him, what makes you think it has changed?
The fact that now we actually have a good team.... you know because to some players that's what's relevant. All though I will admit being that he went from Tampa to Dallas I think it's safe to assume he had other reasoning, but still. Doesn't mean he couldn't all of the sudden be convinced to sign here.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:14 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:

Were did I say Kostitsyn would get 5m? He could get 4m, depending on his season and how greedy he is and it would be a raise. Your attack on me is extremely gratuitous, what I meant is the 4,5m of increased cap easily covers Markov and Kostitsyn's raises, meaning we'll have an extra 2 or 3 million even if these guys are resigned.

And yes Gomez deserves to be buried in the minors if he continues on this pace or doesn't pick it up. You realize he is on pace for a 20pt season even if he plays on the PP and 2nd line? If we have the opportunity to sign a player like Brad Richards or acquire a good center then we should not hesitate to replace Gomez (who probably deserves to be our 4th line center right now... I realize he plays against stronger opposition but so does a million 2nd line centers who haven't been completely useless). Redden was buried in the minors too for being useless and overpaid, and I'm still pretty sure players will continue to flock to NYR in the offseason.

And Kostitsyn's playoff contribution have nothing to do with Gomez's, who gets 3 times the salary and has much more experience. Someone should remind Scott the regular season is important too ; home ice, 6-7-8th position bubble team or possibly out of the playoffs. He should be able to make a difference. If not we should replace him by someone (or two or three players, considering the salary...) that can.

As for Sergei over Andrei in the playoffs I REALLY hope you are joking. Andrei wasn't even that bad, he played solid even when it didn't show on the scoresheet.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:16 AM
neofury*

Can always leave it to you to make my day better good o'l mac

Don't get me wrong though to the people saying to bury Gomez in the AHL you are no better than Mac and are the ones who should really be on the comedy circuit.

Sure Mac has some funny opinions at times but burying Gomez is just laughable. So really you are no better than he is.

It just goes to show how much fans overreact about stuff. Only 12 games in and with a good record we should bury Gomez in the minors threads are already starting to surface. I mean do you have any idea how stupid you sound saying that? Because of how Gomez has played? He's a pure playmaker playing on a line with 1 shooter, he and that 1 shooter are double covered constantly. Last nights game was the most obvious an example can be of that. Really not trying to be mean here but anyone who can't see that the last person to blame for that lines production is Gomez is just a hotheaded fan who doesn't think logically. Sorry to say but put Plek on a line with a double covered Gio and Moen, I doubt it would be much better but even if it were slightly better Plekanec is a better player than Gomez so it would make logical sense that it would be.

What about Gionta whose had 95%+ of his shots all from perimeter, can't get into a scoring area because nobody is covering the 4th liner on that line who can't score, they're covering the guy who can pass and the guy who can score. But whatever guys just keep deluding yourselves that it's all Gomez fault. It's easy to blame the guy cause he makes 7.5 million even though Gionta the goal scorer of the line can't even get into a scoring position let alone score. And I don't even blame Gio, the only logical person to blame is Martin because he isn't fixing that line, but I don't blame him either because he knows what proper player development is and that's why you don't see Pouliot there yet.

Like I said though, wait until he is and you'll all be back on Gomez dick by playoff time. Bunch of ****ing bipolar sellouts who would spit in Maurice Richards face if it were back in the day and he struggled for 10 games on a line with 2 nobodies.... unreal.

Last edited by neofury*: 11-03-2010 at 11:22 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:24 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Can always leave it to you to make my day better good o'l mac

Don't get me wrong though to the people saying to bury Gomez in the AHL you are no better than Mac and are the ones who should really be on the comedy circuit.

Sure Mac has some funny opinions at times but burying Gomez is just laughable. So really you are no better than he is.
Right now burying Gomez is laughable of course, it would be extremely reactionary to do so.

I mean he should gets some AHL time if he continues his disgraceful, weak and useless perimeter play and makes no effort to change it. Would you condone keeping him in the lineup if in 40 or 50 games he has 14 points? Pretty sure Maxwell or Desharnais would have more point by now, if only because they would play with some fire (yes, Maxwell would play with more fire than Gomez currently does).

I simply hope someone on the coaching staff or another player tries to wake him up.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:54 AM
kris
No JDru for TB - yet

Some guy's I'd be interested in...

Kaberle (unrealistic)
Bieksa
Pitkanen
Ehrhoff
Wisniewski
Rivet (back for cheap)
Mark Stuart
Daley (don't see much of him. what's his salary proj. to be next year?)

Basically we have Subban and Spacek locked down. There isn't a huge market for UFA D-men next year. Assuming we re-sign Gorges, that leaves

____ (Hopefully Markov) - Subban
Gorges - _______
Spacek - ______

Do we want to bring back O'Byrne? Picard? Let Carle or Weber step in and see what they can do?

I'd say we sign a guy like Rivet, try and grab one of the higher end younger guys (Pitkanen or Ehrhoff) and then re-sign whichever depth guys they want to keep. Or do we keep Gill?

Markov - Subban
Gorges - Rivet (Gill)
Spacek - ____ (This might be the 2nd pairing but I listed the 2nd as our shutdown pairing. Hopefully a guy like Pitkanen / Bieksa / Ehrhoff)
Then Picard / O'Byrne / Carle / Weber.

kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
want lots of cap space??
just bury everyone making more then 4 million a year!
and sign every 35 year old over the hill with no skill player out there, to retarded contracts!

Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote