HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Daniel Cleary

Old
11-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Huddy*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Daniel Cleary

Can we talk about this lil fellow....his name is Dan Cleary and he is a bum

3 pts in 9 games. Really Really useless on 3rd line. How can he not gel w Mike Modano and Jiri Hudler. Hudler and Modano have been point getters their entire career. Maybe just maybe the third lines lack of production could be put on Dan Cleary.

We are sitting here reading and listening to how Babs benched Huds, talks consistently about getting that third line going....is there anyone else out there that would either like to trade for Cleary or bench him period. $3 million for a player that I haven't heard one peep about all year and apparently he was going to have a good year bc he can walk again and all that nonsense..

anyone....

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Sadekuuro

I take it you haven't actually watched that line play, or Cleary wouldn't be the first guy on your **** list.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Probert

Send a message via MSN to Probert
You seem to forget that Cleary has a no-trade clause...

Probert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 04:11 PM
ChadS

Cleary has been clearly the best player on the 3rd line. His skating looks really good and he's actually getting something done out there...

And he does have a no-trade clause...

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 04:14 PM
RedMenace
100% Less Babcock

The only player that's "stunk it up" on that line is Modano, but he gets a free pass because he used to be good or something.

Cleary has been more than passable, but he seems to do better on a line with D and Z. Too bad that won't come to fruition until Holmstrom retires.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 04:37 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Cleary has been clearly the best player on the 3rd line.
now that's impressive, really.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 05:02 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

I guess if your internet handle is "Huddy" and you realize Modano won't be scratched, you may as well turn your sights on Dan Cleary

The 3rd line has been bad, obviously. But Modano and Hudler are supposed to be the ones generating offense. They are supposed to be the primary shooters/passers/pivots/offensive threats on that line. Yet, neither exceed Cleary in goals or points and both have fewer shots, despite getting much more PP time. Neither have played defense as well as Cleary. Neither have played as physically as Cleary. Neither have been digging pucks as well as Cleary. Overall, neither have been as good as Cleary. So, no, the 3rd line's lack of production cannot be put on Cleary. It goes directly onto Modano's and Hudler's shoulders.

Complaining about Cleary's cap hit vs. his production while seemingly ignoring Hudler's cap hit vs. production is probably not the best avenue to take.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:29 AM
PocketGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
I guess if your internet handle is "Huddy" and you realize Modano won't be scratched, you may as well turn your sights on Dan Cleary

The 3rd line has been bad, obviously. But Modano and Hudler are supposed to be the ones generating offense. They are supposed to be the primary shooters/passers/pivots/offensive threats on that line. Yet, neither exceed Cleary in goals or points and both have fewer shots, despite getting much more PP time. Neither have played defense as well as Cleary. Neither have played as physically as Cleary. Neither have been digging pucks as well as Cleary. Overall, neither have been as good as Cleary. So, no, the 3rd line's lack of production cannot be put on Cleary. It goes directly onto Modano's and Hudler's shoulders.

Complaining about Cleary's cap hit vs. his production while seemingly ignoring Hudler's cap hit vs. production is probably not the best avenue to take.
Well, yeah. You sort of took the words right out of my mouth.

PocketGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro View Post
I take it you haven't actually watched that line play, or Cleary wouldn't be the first guy on your **** list.
I take it you haven't seen him actually play or else you would probably have him pretty damn close to the top of your **** list.

edit: Really? I'm reading other posts and I cannot believe some of you actually think he's been ok? Holy ****.... His overall play has been MEH at best.. He's in the offensive zone never getting open, he doesnt make anything happen, his hustle seems Meh...

Ugh, guess ill be in the minority but ill see more of you joining my couch spot shortly....

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Huddy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
I take it you haven't seen him actually play or else you would probably have him pretty damn close to the top of your **** list.

edit: Really? I'm reading other posts and I cannot believe some of you actually think he's been ok? Holy ****.... His overall play has been MEH at best.. He's in the offensive zone never getting open, he doesnt make anything happen, his hustle seems Meh...

Ugh, guess ill be in the minority but ill see more of you joining my couch spot shortly....
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
11-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Huddy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post

Well I guess if your internet handle is "jaster" you would actually believe Cleary is playing well...

I will complain as much as I want about a player whose being paid $3 million respectively per year and isnt/hasnt done much to earn it. Ya I forgot he was a NTC, so kill me...But IMO, that contract could bite them in the @$$ if he doesn't start producing more. Ever wonder if the 3rd line troubles, are to be put on Cleary? We all know Mo and Hudler can score. Cleary on the other hand is meh at best when scoring, but you are right hes not paid to score, he's paid to check, dig and dish the puck. After nine game and 3 points, Cleary is not doing that. You cant rely on Hudler and MO to be the ones in the corner, and personally after finally giving up on Cleary, why not put Hudler-MO-Abdelkader for a game or 2 and see what happens?.... Cleary playing defense? Check his +/- lately compared to others? Ya Modano and Hudler are the ones who are supposed to generate the offense for that line, but what has Cleary done this year to help them generate that offense..He hasnt done much, but according to you, he's playing well? Cleary Physical? LOL Datsyuk has been more physical than Cleary, IMO, but hey I'm in the minority on Cleary's overall production this year so far....

Last edited by Huddy*: 11-02-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old
11-02-2010, 02:17 PM
chances14

modano and hudler have been far worse this season. i am all for benching modano and putting in abs but that will never happen

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:38 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings1421 View Post
modano and hudler have been far worse this season. i am all for benching modano and putting in abs but that will never happen
That's the next option, if you ask me.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:04 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
That's the next option, if you ask me.
Second that.

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:04 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddy View Post
Well I guess if your internet handle is "jaster" you would actually believe Cleary is playing well...
I was not aware that Cleary's nickname is jaster. What an amazing coincidence!

Quote:
I will complain as much as I want about a player whose being paid $3 million respectively per year and isnt/hasnt done much to earn it.
You are of course "free" to complain all you want. Just as I am "free" to point out the hypocrisy

Quote:
IMO, that contract could bite them in the @$$ if he doesn't start producing more.
Goes double for Hudler.

Quote:
Cleary playing defense? Check his +/- lately compared to others?

Quote:
He hasnt done much, but according to you, he's playing well?
Where did I say Cleary has been playing well? In fact, I remember saying that the whole line has played poorly. I'm saying Cleary has been better than Hudler and Modano.

Quote:
Cleary Physical?
Well, more physical than Hudler and Modano was my point. But yeah, he's still been physical. Tied for 3rd on the team in hits, despite getting less ice time than the two guys ahead of him (Stuart and Franzen).

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:54 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Asked whether Cleary had been the best player on that line thus far, Babcock said: "I wouldn't say that. No."
http://www.freep.com/article/2010103...inst-Predators

They've all sucked, absent a few good plays for each, in their own right. And Abdelkader sure as hell isn't going to change that.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Konnan511
#FreePulu

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Filppula couldn't gel with him, but in saying that, he isn't the problem of the third line.

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I think the effort's there with Cleary. He's taking the body, he's going to the front of the net and he's solid defensively and eating up PK time. Are the points there? No, but it's not from lack of effort.

Hudler hasn't looked as bad as he's been pegged. Right now, he reminds me a lot of Bertuzzi when he was traded here. It looks like he's thinking about what he should be doing rather than just doing it. He's been away for a year, though, so this had to be expected.

Modano is the guy who bugs me. He's new, yeah, but the effort looks abysmal. I don't know how many times I've seen him streak into a backcheck only to draw up a stride or two short and start whacking at the puck carrier. Either take a serious swing at the guy or take the extra couple of strides to engage him in battle for the puck. The little love taps do nothing.

11-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Chris 84

cleary's salary is irrelevant as regards how well or how poorly he is performing. he didn't hold a gun to kenny holland's head and demand 3mil. sure, in the salary cap era you want a 3mil player to be performing, but his salary isn't his fault.

and you question why he can't gel with the "point-getters" hudler and modano? well it isn't like modano has been getting many more points than cleary the past few years, never mind the fact that dallas were so sure that he was finished that they never gave him a new deal....

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Howard35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings1421 View Post
Ok I get that the coach benched him because he's an offensive player who hasn't done **** and yadda...yadda we know the story. But honestly, what the hell can Hudler do with Cleary never moving to get open and Modano positioning himself in stupid ass spots? I guess he should just develop Pavel-esque moves and deke out all 6 players on the other team? I'm not giving him a free pass but he's been far away from worse one on that line. Hell, i'd go off and say Modano has been the worst Red Wing this season outside of Janik and maybe even Ozzie (at least ozzie can do something and win, modano cant do ****).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I think the effort's there with Cleary. He's taking the body, he's going to the front of the net and he's solid defensively and eating up PK time. Are the points there? No, but it's not from lack of effort.

Hudler hasn't looked as bad as he's been pegged. Right now, he reminds me a lot of Bertuzzi when he was traded here. It looks like he's thinking about what he should be doing rather than just doing it. He's been away for a year, though, so this had to be expected.

Modano is the guy who bugs me. He's new, yeah, but the effort looks abysmal. I don't know how many times I've seen him streak into a backcheck only to draw up a stride or two short and start whacking at the puck carrier. Either take a serious swing at the guy or take the extra couple of strides to engage him in battle for the puck. The little love taps do nothing.
Dead on. Hudler looks lost and a "arms in the air" type of player right now. Not a lot he can do. Cleary should be producing and playing better, mr. "this is the best i've felt in a long time"... riiiight buddy.

Modano has been terrible. I'd strongly consider benching him a game and see what happens. Babs used to do that **** with Yzerman, no god damn way you let Modano ride that one out.

Old
11-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Howard35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
cleary's salary is irrelevant as regards how well or how poorly he is performing. he didn't hold a gun to kenny holland's head and demand 3mil. sure, in the salary cap era you want a 3mil player to be performing, but his salary isn't his fault.

and you question why he can't gel with the "point-getters" hudler and modano? well it isn't like modano has been getting many more points than cleary the past few years, never mind the fact that dallas were so sure that he was finished that they never gave him a new deal....
Not really sure what direction your going with this. He makes three million and should be doing something offensive or defensively productive. He's been meh or worse at best.

Old
11-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Dead on. Hudler looks lost and a "arms in the air" type of player right now. Not a lot he can do. Cleary should be producing and playing better, mr. "this is the best i've felt in a long time"... riiiight buddy.

Modano has been terrible. I'd strongly consider benching him a game and see what happens. Babs used to do that **** with Yzerman, no god damn way you let Modano ride that one out.
I think this is the best Cleary's looked in awhile, though. The past year or so, he wasn't moving this well. He was putting up more points, but he wasn't very effective. This year, I think he might be a more effective player but he's not getting the points.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Howard35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I think this is the best Cleary's looked in awhile, though. The past year or so, he wasn't moving this well. He was putting up more points, but he wasn't very effective. This year, I think he might be a more effective player but he's not getting the points.
I think he's been worse for the most part this year. He might be skating better but his sharpness is been terrible. He looks rusty IMHO. Maybe its just me, but he doesn't look good at all.

Old
11-03-2010, 04:38 AM
Hollywood

Clearly is one of Babcocks most trusted players... +- is a horrible stat and good coaches look past this...
Cleary is a very talented player..There is a reason why come playoffs he gets ice time while others people watch...
Got a good feeling BABCOCK has a lil more knowledge than the cheap seats in the joe

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 05:20 AM
Henkka

Quote:
I think he's been worse for the most part this year. He might be skating better but his sharpness is been terrible. He looks rusty IMHO. Maybe its just me, but he doesn't look good at all.
Cleary's only problem has been his linemates, especially the horrible center. Not himself.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote