HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Brad Stuart

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2005, 02:52 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
I am partial to smarts and in that respect he has an edge over Jovo.
Which is funny because if you talk to the Stuart haters among Sharks fan, that'll be the first thing they'll scream about.

I agree with your assessment of Stuart (love the Stevens comparison...I believe that was the comparison during his draft year). He has the the toolbox and the tools but like in any other trade he just needs the experience. Defenseman are at a disadvantage because its harder for them to come into the league like a forward and make an immediate impact. Like goalies, their trade is learning the habits of skaters and finding a way to exploit any mistakes that they may make and be in the right place when they do make that mistake. Its something that is built with time, a learning process, and, because the fickleness of the fans, sometimes that is forgotten. That's why I laugh off any detractors of guys like Bouwmeester and Klesla. They are the same type that wrote off guys like Pronger and Jovanovski.

05-17-2005, 03:20 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice XXX
Which is funny because if you talk to the Stuart haters among Sharks fan, that'll be the first thing they'll scream about.

I agree with your assessment of Stuart (love the Stevens comparison...I believe that was the comparison during his draft year). He has the the toolbox and the tools but like in any other trade he just needs the experience. Defenseman are at a disadvantage because its harder for them to come into the league like a forward and make an immediate impact. Like goalies, their trade is learning the habits of skaters and finding a way to exploit any mistakes that they may make and be in the right place when they do make that mistake. Its something that is built with time, a learning process, and, because the fickleness of the fans, sometimes that is forgotten. That's why I laugh off any detractors of guys like Bouwmeester and Klesla. They are the same type that wrote off guys like Pronger and Jovanovski.
I agree that Stuart has all the tools to be a top 5 defenseman (I do think I'm saying that a little too often though). He can do it all... but doesn't. Jovo has more tools IMO, but I like Stuarts game far better. Will Stuart put it all together? Who knows... I'm starting to write off Derek Morris, and I was his biggest fanboy for the longest time. There are alot of guys (eg. Morris, Stuart) who showed all the tools for a future Norris career, but just haven't delivered yet.

Bouwmeester... never been a fan. Steady defenseman, but I don't think he's got that extra gear in him to become elite, but I coule be wrong.

Klesa... definatly fell off the map for many, but I'm not writing him off. Not even close. Still one of the best futures out there for young NHL blueliners.

Jovo... I still think his game needs maturing. Will it? Who knows... I'm not a fan right now, but if he ever got some damn consistantcy, then wow would he ever be a force.

Old
05-17-2005, 07:20 AM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
I agree that Stuart has all the tools to be a top 5 defenseman (I do think I'm saying that a little too often though). He can do it all... but doesn't. Jovo has more tools IMO, but I like Stuarts game far better. Will Stuart put it all together? Who knows... I'm starting to write off Derek Morris, and I was his biggest fanboy for the longest time. There are alot of guys (eg. Morris, Stuart) who showed all the tools for a future Norris career, but just haven't delivered yet.

Bouwmeester... never been a fan. Steady defenseman, but I don't think he's got that extra gear in him to become elite, but I coule be wrong.

Klesa... definatly fell off the map for many, but I'm not writing him off. Not even close. Still one of the best futures out there for young NHL blueliners.

Jovo... I still think his game needs maturing. Will it? Who knows... I'm not a fan right now, but if he ever got some damn consistantcy, then wow would he ever be a force.
I don't think Jovo's game will ever mature that much more than it's current state. He may have more tools that could be used, but IMO he lacks defensive hockey sense and his mind for the game is quite out of tune at times...

Closed Thread