HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Someone should tell the Habs the game started...

Old
11-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

vCash: 500
I don't want to say that but Cammy is useless right now. He make bad decision with the puck.

I really think Gionta-Gomez-Kostitsyn will produce

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Le Maroons

I hated this game.

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
These last few games have been fascinating delves into how the human mind devises explanations and colors its observations of the process based on the end result. Gionta isn't scoring so he's playing like crap (nevermind that he racks up four shots a game and umpteen shots). They're only shooting from the perimeter (NHL.com has shot charts these days, and they disagree). They have no energy and effort when they're losing, but they're just flying when they get easy wins.

70 shots, one goal, and suddenly the story is that the team plays like crap top to bottom. Tonight they launched 65 shot attempts, and Columbus had all of 40. But hey, they got ridiculously outworked.

Then they'll get 6 on 45 shots some other pair of game and everyone will be ooh-ing and aaah-ing about how well everyone is playing. They won't have changed a lick, probably, but that's how humans work. We can't stand leaving something without an explanation. And "luck" is not one we can tolerate even though that's a big part of it. So the result colors the process.

They're still outshooting teams, getting good possession, getting chances. The 40+ shot against debacles seem to be a thing of the past or an exceedingly rare event. The Habs aren't going to end the season as the worst PP club in NHL history, Gionta won't keep being THIS snakebit for 70 more games (3 more shots tonight).

Frankly, I'm impressed: overall, this is the best the Habs have been in years.

But please, by all means, don't let me get in the way of the wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Do you simply re-post everything from your notes? I swear all your posts look identical, always elaborating on a handful of points. Gets dull really quick. The above looks like a collection of all your GDT posts in one.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ScottFC

Quote:
These last few games have been fascinating delves into how the human mind devises explanations and colors its observations of the process based on the end result. Gionta isn't scoring so he's playing like crap (nevermind that he racks up four shots a game and umpteen shots). They're only shooting from the perimeter (NHL.com has shot charts these days, and they disagree). They have no energy and effort when they're losing, but they're just flying when they get easy wins.

70 shots, one goal, and suddenly the story is that the team plays like crap top to bottom. Tonight they launched 65 shot attempts, and Columbus had all of 40. But hey, they got ridiculously outworked.

Then they'll get 6 on 45 shots some other pair of game and everyone will be ooh-ing and aaah-ing about how well everyone is playing. They won't have changed a lick, probably, but that's how humans work. We can't stand leaving something without an explanation. And "luck" is not one we can tolerate even though that's a big part of it. So the result colors the process.

They're still outshooting teams, getting good possession, getting chances. The 40+ shot against debacles seem to be a thing of the past or an exceedingly rare event. The Habs aren't going to end the season as the worst PP club in NHL history, Gionta won't keep being THIS snakebit for 70 more games (3 more shots tonight).

But please, by all means, don't let me get in the way of the wailing and gnashing of teeth.
You're making way too much sense GTFO!

But Gionta is playing bad I don't care what the stats show he just isn't finding the inside of the net and imho it has a lot to do with him taking a second too long before shooting

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:33 PM
TheBourkeIdentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Gill and Spacek should sit next game, they were aful tonight, if not for Price it would have been ugly...6 or 7-0.
Yeah, I usually like Gill but he was horrid tonight.

D- all around except Price (B), Eller and Pouliot (C+).

TheBourkeIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NewHabsEra*

I dont all the game since I knew it was crap but from what I seen Markov played a much better game tonight, so thats the positive, the only other positive is Phaneuf probably out for a while..

oh and I probably didnt say it enoug, Gill suckssss!!! worst pylon in the NHL..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaileyCyrus View Post
0-2 with Markov.

There was a time not long ago when the Habs couldn't win a game without Markov.. Now they can't seem to win one with him in the lineup..

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Slippin Jimmy
You'd Better RUN!

Did anyone notice how much Hamrlik was pinching and playing in the corners? whats was up with that?

Slippin Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Patrice Brisebois

That was the most exciting game I've ever seen!

not

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:

How do I 'upvote' this post?

Though tonight was admittedly a snoozer.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Le Maroons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Goes to show how much they tested whoever was in nets.
Garon made a few good saves. I think there were a lot of shots taken but a lot of shots were blocked and a lot of shots were wide. Boring game overall, hated it.

Old
Mister Potato

I think JM should not break the ATM line since it is working great together. Eller on the 2nd line would be great for a few games. Moen, Pyatt got their chances and Eller should get his.

Mister Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:35 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRat View Post
Eller, Price, Kostitsyn played well.
Eller and Kostitsyn played one good period... a game has 3 of them...

Price, Markov and Subban we OK, the rest was trash...

...very disappointed by Plekanec, a very rare ****** effort tonight...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Andy

Best players tonight

Price
Eller
Kostitsyn
Pouliot
Halpern

The rest...meh! Too many odd man rushes. Too many passes crossing the slot with ease. Two great recipies for the other team to score goals. Team left the goalie out the dry and couldn't provide the offense to make up for it.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:37 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Do you simply re-post everything from your notes? I swear all your posts look identical, always elaborating on a handful of points. Gets dull really quick. The above looks like a collection of all your GDT posts in one.
Well, they're important points. I hammer on them because they're important and we need the perspective in all the doom-and-gloom of a losing streak.

A 2-game losing streak.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Le Maroons

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
I haven't read the GDT but he's right. I don't know if he has the correct numbers but I watched the game and I saw a lot of shots taken, like I said before a lot were blocked or wide.

Old
11-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Weber= GREAT GREAT player in the AHL on the PP . Why not bring him up ?

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:39 PM
TheBourkeIdentity

Quote:
A 2-game losing streak.
Panic!

TheBourkeIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Meh still first in our division . Not the panic button . Yet ...

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Andy

Quote:

(Frankly, and this will seem weird, my one area of semi-concern is Price. He's not giving up softies but he just doesn't seem to stop as many pucks as he should. He will, hopefully, need to get used to these sub-25 shot games are tough on him.)
They are allowing less shots, but they are still allowing the same amount of quality chances. I don't care if they allow 50 shots a game so long as they are not quality shots. We are allowing like 10 shots less a game compared to last but as many scoring chances. A goaltender's SV% will take a massive hit in this case.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Well, they're important points. I hammer on them because they're important and we need the perspective in all the doom-and-gloom of a losing streak.

A 2-game losing streak.
Sure, a 2 game losing streak, but it's pretty much a 12game weak streak from the 2nd line. I'm not worried because I know they will produce, but they will keep having troubles for as long as we put a grinder next to them.
There was a great instance during the game where Gomez was in the offensive zone with Moen. Gionta wasn't on yet as the 3rd player was on its way to the bench.
Gomez is along the ashmark around the boards with Moen down low uncovered.
Gomez looked, and kept the puck to battle it out against the boards, Gionta rushed in and Gomez tried to pass it but it was intercepted.
Plays like this happen way too frequently and honestly I can't blame Gomez for it.
Having a better winger would incite Gomez to pass it, that player could protect it and make a play of his own.

No panic needed, we're still playing well. I'm just frustrated because Martin seems to always wait for losses before making changes, it's overly annoying.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:50 PM
m00ks

To early to panic with a 7-4-1 record but its curious to see that our worst offensive outputs and biggest defensive breakdowns have come with the return of our best offensive defenseman.

I'll chalk the bulk of it to complacency. Reaching 1st in the league and getting your best player back must have had that effect. The urgency is gone, the non-chalance is glaring and the focus is completely lacking. Hopefully this two game skid wakes them up...our d-corps at least.

Split Subban and Markov please, those two are an adventure together. They both need a partner who will hunker down while they explore offensive opportunities. Seems like we had 5 forwards playing at one point. I personally think Gorges and Markov are perfect for each other but that leaves Gill completely exposed. a Gill-Subban pairing can work who knows.

Our forwards are another story. #1 line has been more or less tamed which is understandable for now since they were going at an unsustainable pace. Gomez and Gionta seems like they're feeling too sorry for themselves to do anything creative or get more opportunistic. More-so for Gomez since Gionta is still trying, although their confidence are probably at the same level. I didn't like Martin splitting up AK from the Pleks line, although you can tell that it sparked something even for a moment. Martin's running out of bodies for that LW try-out though, and he may have to keep Pouliot or Eller in the top 6 wether he likes it or not.

The defensive game was putrid. Toss this one out. Split Markov and Subban. Put Pouliot or Eller in the top 6. Hope it goes better in Buffalo. Ryan Miller's numbers may not be up to par, but struggling Habs forwards may just be what the doctor ordered.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Darth Joker

It's time to shake up the top two lines.

Pleks-AKost-Cammy have gone cold (as they inevitably would at some point), but that 2nd line continues to be utterly useless. I'm seriously wondering what the heck is wrong with Gomez and Gionta?! There's scoring droughts, but this is starting to become more than just a typical scoring drought.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Stradale

12 games played now.. we are getting closer to Gomez's awakening!

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:52 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHabMan43 View Post
Did anyone notice how much Hamrlik was pinching and playing in the corners? whats was up with that?
Yes.

I'll surmise he knows the offence is struggling and took some risks. Or he was just genuinely ticked. But I like what he did because he took a beating in front of the net and got a shot away. Maybe JM should try putting him there on the powerplay.

He was one of the few Habs who looked like they were actually trying to score or cared in the third period.

I'm still looking for Gill and Gorges on that third goal.

Please JM.............

Markov - Spacek
Hamrlik - Subban
Picard - Gorges

All the eggs in one basket with Markov and Subban together isn't working. Hamrlik can't do much because he's worried about Spacek.

I don't know what to say about Gomez and Gionta - it's horrible. Until those two decide to do something the Habs are a one line team.

I'd replace Gill before Spacek.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote