HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nov 4. Update: Meszaros likely to play tonight; Nodl could return this weekend

Old
11-02-2010, 01:20 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 500
maybe Mezsaros was at practice today and started to feel the effects of the concussion during practice or after practice. I am not defending Holmgren on this one, hell i am probably the last person that would. But I think on this we should give him the benefit of the doubt. yeah i know about all the prior bs involving Holmgren making statements on injuries. He obviously shouldnt of said slight concussion.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:39 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Oh HF. How I love thee. Blaming Mezsaros' injury (more or less) on Homer. Could you guys at least try to be a little less predictable?

edit: meant to quote this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Injury Report: Paul Holmgren doesn't have the slightest idea what he is doing.
edit #2: Maybe I took some posts the wrong way. Not really saying what I initially thought they were saying. Still, I don't understand how everyone gets their knickers in a twist over things the GM says in regards to injuries. They usually low ball the extent because they don't want to give away too much info, or create "panic" amongst the fanbase... of course, that's practically unavoidable in these here days of the webbernets.

Last edited by ChumpyG: 11-02-2010 at 04:49 AM.
ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:12 AM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
Oh HF. How I love thee. Blaming Mezsaros' injury (more or less) on Homer. Could you guys at least try to be a little less predictable?

edit: meant to quote this post:

edit #2: Maybe I took some posts the wrong way. Not really saying what I initially thought they were saying. Still, I don't understand how everyone gets their knickers in a twist over things the GM says in regards to injuries. They usually low ball the extent because they don't want to give away too much info, or create "panic" amongst the fanbase... of course, that's practically unavoidable in these here days of the webbernets.
I simply don't like the misinformation and how injuries go from "He's okay! We're just keeping him out to make sure" to "He has a slight concussion and won't be in tonight's game." Tomorrow its "He will miss 2-4 weeks." What exactly is a "slight" concussion?

Doesn't give me much faith in Holmgren.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:31 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
I simply don't like the misinformation and how injuries go from "He's okay! We're just keeping him out to make sure" to "He has a slight concussion and won't be in tonight's game." Tomorrow its "He will miss 2-4 weeks." What exactly is a "slight" concussion?

It's not just Holmgren though. That's my whole point. The day after the injury occurs, GMs are generally cards to the chest about such things. Yes, a couple days from now it could be revealed that it's much worse than Homer let on at first. It happens in every sport with every team. I'm actually surprised I'm having to explain this.

edit: It can't really be called "misinformation" if it's the information he received, and is just being regurgitated by him. It's called "the latest information", and that's what Homer has to go by when asked.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 06:09 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Statements like that make me think that Homer has no idea what a concussion is.
It's like having a slight case of AIDS.

In other news, my girlfriend is very slightly pregnant.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:56 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1089
From Hockeybuzz and Bill Meltzer:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...11210/45/31158

Quote:
The Flyers have deemed Andrej Meszaros' injury as a "mild concussion" and put him on day-to-day status. I have a sense that, in this particular instance, the club held him out last night for precautionary reasons. He was skating yesterday, two days after sustaining the injury. That's a positive sign.

Nevertheless, I detest when GMs -- not just Paul Holmgren -- downplay injuries by using the "mild" designation for concussions or groin injuries in particular. Doing so puts subtle pressure on the player to hurry back in the lineup while, in the next breath, the team inevitably says the player will be given as long as he needs to recover. Everyone should know by now that those sorts of injuries are tricky, and setbacks can occur very easily. I realize there are gradations of concussions, but they are all dangerous.

In Meszaros' situation, it looks like the club is taking the appropriate steps. Even if he felt close to 100%, that's not enough when it comes to a concussion. It appears he won't miss too much time, but even if it turns out that he misses several games, it's better than the alternative of risking more serious problems.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:15 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Tim P.s latest from today: Meszaros feels good 2 days in row. Hopes to play vs NYR

Old
11-02-2010, 12:30 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Some of this falls on the player. If Meszaros says he feels fine not much you can do about it until he starts to have issues during or after practice.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

If the Flyers' medical staff and Holmgren say "slight concussion" then he was probably decapitated.

Hope he can go against the Rangers.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:18 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Statements like that make me think that Homer has no idea what a concussion is.
I just took it for bad choice of words for "mild concussion."

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:44 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Duberstein
If the Flyers' medical staff and Holmgren say "slight concussion" then he was probably decapitated.
These responses remind me of the scene in Top Secret! where the German officer receives a phone call in his office, says "Okay, let me know if his condition changes." Hangs up. "He's dead."

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:59 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:

You guys know that there are different grades of concussions, right?

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:01 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Guidelines for Concussion Return Periods:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concuss...ety_guidelines

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Guidelines for Concussion Return Periods:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concuss...ety_guidelines
Those are scary because pro athletes just straight don't follow them. And it's not like another type of body injury where, because of their intense training, they heal faster. Head injuries are the same for everyone.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:00 AM
kicksave27

The NHL has one of the better rules for concussions, with the baseline testing. Not really sure how lappy got around that.

But there is no such thing as a slight brain injury. Enough slight ones and you get a major one.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
These responses remind me of the scene in Top Secret! where the German officer receives a phone call in his office, says "Okay, let me know if his condition changes." Hangs up. "He's dead."
Awesome movie!

"Is this the potato farm?"
"Yes, I'm Albert Potato."

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
The NHL has one of the better rules for concussions, with the baseline testing. Not really sure how lappy got around that.

But there is no such thing as a slight brain injury. Enough slight ones and you get a major one.
Doctor: Do you have headaches?

Lappy: No.

Doctor: Alrighty then.

It's possible to pass the physical tests (following a pen with your eyes, etc) and then lie about headaches and other ailments that are more difficult to test for.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:05 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

From Tim P.:

Quote:
“Unless things change in warmups, defenseman Andrej Meszaros will be back in the lineup. “I sure hope so,” said Meszaros, who suffered a concussion last Saturday against the Islanders … Andres Nodl (left shoulder) said he’s making progress and hopes to play this weekend. He too, was injured against the Islanders. …