HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

#11 - 11.01.2010 | Chicago Blackhawks @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
11-02-2010, 09:17 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
This is why I continue to refer to this year as a transition year. If the Rangers make the playoffs...great! But, it is more important to watch Dubi/Cally/AA develop into top flight forwards, and grab the leadership roles, (which they are doing), and allow players like Stepan, Sauer and Grachev seeing ice time and developing, and even seeing younger players like Boyle and Prust develop into quality role players. And, if the Rangers can make the playoffs because this kind of development is taking place...well, that's just gravy.
Torts says making the playoffs isn't enough. ( this season)

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:22 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Torts says making the playoffs isn't enough. ( this season)
You'd expect the head coach to say something else?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Think its more in reference to resting Lundqvist (Statistical analysis says playing your starter 70+ games means you'll pretty much never win the cup)

And I can get behind that mentality.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:27 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
There are plenty of coaches/managers around the league that do. They even label their season as a "transition" period(FLA, EDM, ATL) Fact of the matter is w/ a goalie like Lundqvist, a d-men like Staal, and a forward like Gaborik you try to make the playoffs and take it from there. Especially when from the look of things you'll have secondary support scoring to some extent.

Old
11-02-2010, 09:28 AM
94now

Two words: Henrik Lundqvist. He is the reason we have prevailed. He did allowed a soft second, but was otherwise even better than last shutout. Kudos to Sullivan for his work on our defense, it is very impressive. We lead the NHL in blocked shots.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:29 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
There are plenty of coaches/managers around the league that do. They even label their season as a "transition" period(FLA, EDM, ATL) Fact of the matter is w/ a goalie like Lundqvist, a d-men like Staal, and a forward like Gaborik you try to make the playoffs and take it from there. Especially when from the look of things you'll have secondary support scoring to some extent.
even if he truely feels it or thinks it, a statement like that would NEVER fly here

there's a reason we've never done a true rebuild...and it not cause we didnt need it

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:31 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
IDK if ATL makes that list...they're already a force to be reckoned with

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

Why is fridays game on MSG2? Nobody gets that freggin channel. Its against the Devils youd think it would at least be on MSG+

Old
11-02-2010, 09:38 AM
jniklast

Quote:
This is why I continue to refer to this year as a transition year. If the Rangers make the playoffs...great! But, it is more important to watch Dubi/Cally/AA develop into top flight forwards, and grab the leadership roles, (which they are doing), and allow players like Stepan, Sauer and Grachev seeing ice time and developing, and even seeing younger players like Boyle and Prust develop into quality role players. And, if the Rangers can make the playoffs because this kind of development is taking place...well, that's just gravy.
But actually playing in the playoffs shouldn't be underrated for the development of our young players. I'd happily pick a few spots lower if they make the playoffs, even if they don't get far. Playing playoff hockey can only be good for young players.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:40 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
even if he truely feels it or thinks it, a statement like that would NEVER fly here

there's a reason we've never done a true rebuild...and it not cause we didnt need it
Trust me if he truly feels that way he'd let us know....and he has. He continuously said we need to keep our core together and develop them.

Sure...maybe that does spell out a transition year. However, that's not the mentality they're going with , and right fully so. You have allstar players like Lundqvist, Gaborik, Staal in 3 of the games different positions. You have Dubinsky who at the end of last season showed that he's finding a niche/identity in regards to his game. You've been watching Callahan all season and you see what he's ready to bring to the table.

I'm not so sure you want to do a full rebuild w/ many good pieces in place. Besides, Lundqvist isn't getting any younger. Bias aside, he's bar none the top goaltender in this league and he needs to start getting recognition for it. The consistency he provides between the pipes is something I've never seen.

Old
11-02-2010, 09:43 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
IDK if ATL makes that list...they're already a force to be reckoned with
They're a solid bubble team for sure. But after the Kovalchuk trade their management said it's a transition phase for the franchise.

Old
11-02-2010, 09:43 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Trust me if he truly feels that way he'd let us know....and he has. He continuously said we need to keep our core together and develop them.

Sure...maybe that does spell out a transition year. However, that's not the mentality they're going with , and right fully so. You have allstar players like Lundqvist, Gaborik, Staal in 3 of the games different positions. You have Dubinsky who at the end of last season showed that he's finding a niche/identity in regards to his game. You've been watching Callahan all season and you see what he's ready to bring to the table.

I'm not so sure you want to do a full rebuild w/ many good pieces in place. Besides, Lundqvist isn't getting any younger. Bias aside, he's bar none the top goaltender in this league and he needs to start getting recognition for it. The consistency he provides between the pipes is something I've never seen.
im certainlly not advocating a rebuild

im just saying that as long as dolan's still upstairs the team will never publically say anything other than a "we want the cup" type statement

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:49 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
But actually playing in the playoffs shouldn't be underrated for the development of our young players. I'd happily pick a few spots lower if they make the playoffs, even if they don't get far. Playing playoff hockey can only be good for young players.
But, making the playoffs is better for the organization if it is coming through the rapid development of the "young core" Tortorella has been talking about. If this team makes the playoffs on the backs of Gaborik and Lundqvist, it's just business as usual. It is better for the long-term growth of the organization that we are seeing the young core already assuming such an important part of the success of the team.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Why is fridays game on MSG2? Nobody gets that freggin channel. Its against the Devils youd think it would at least be on MSG+
its also on msg plus but you'll have to listen to chico and doc. which is painful

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:08 AM
TreeSapLlama

Definitely impressed with the Rangers composure facing a very good team (even with their offseason losses). Besides his stinker, Lundqvist played lights out.

I can't really complain about anything from what i saw. Since Grachev has not looked too bad, and Fedetenko hasn't done a whole lot, I would like to see Grachev get a few shifts with Stepan on the 3rd line with Avery. maybe around 12 minutes - 13 minutes gametime total. See how he uses it.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:43 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Seems like Atlanta and Florida have been transition teams for the last decade. That's the dark downside of a total rebuild.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Seems like Atlanta and Florida have been transition teams for the last decade. That's the dark downside of a total rebuild.
It's also tough to rebuild in that type of market when players tend to leave for larger markets through free agency.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:25 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
BIG win last night, especially because it was at home. Playoff like atmosphere.
Were we at the same game? lol

I mean the Garden was pretty quiet for most of the night, short of a few chants and the final few minutes. It was pretty full, but I'd hardly call it a playoff atmosphere. The place was far from electric.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

Watching the encore; I think Rozy saved a goal at 15 minutes into the first period.

Hard to tell from the angle, though.

Old
11-02-2010, 01:44 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Were we at the same game? lol

I mean the Garden was pretty quiet for most of the night, short of a few chants and the final few minutes. It was pretty full, but I'd hardly call it a playoff atmosphere. The place was far from electric.
The last 5 minutes it was, thats what i was really referring to. Other than that, yeah the Garden needs to pick it up. At least we heard a smattering of LGR chants though.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:41 PM
darko

Quote:
Watching the encore; I think Rozy saved a goal at 15 minutes into the first period.

Hard to tell from the angle, though.

I remember the play. That was definitely Rozy.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

So with back-to-back games coming up and Biron due for a start, do you play him against the Flyers, and their weak goaltending or against the struggling Devils, who Lundqvist always plays well against?

Old
11-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
So with back-to-back games coming up and Biron due for a start, do you play him against the Flyers, and their weak goaltending or against the struggling Devils, who Lundqvist always plays well against?
Hank aganist the devs, let Biron take the beating that is sure to come from philly, then turn Boogey loose on carcillo

Blueshirt Special is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:13 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
against the devils...i'd say the devils would be more a threat to us in terms of playoff position than the flyers this year.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote