HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Looking to buy CCM U+12 skates

Old
10-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Rogi77

vCash: 500
Looking to buy CCM U+12 skates

are these skates worth the $$$ or do I need to look at other skates in the same price range?
Please recommend a good pair of skates for flat feet for under $400.

Rogi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:15 PM
trtaylor

1. Learn how to fit skates yourself
  2. Forget brands. You need the pair that fits you best.
  3. Go to your local hockey shop and try on skates
  4. There are no skates designed for flat feet. You need an aftermarket insole. Superfeet and Graf Step-ins are two best to choose from.
  5. You may want to spend the $30 on the insoles and take them with you when you try on skates. You will need to trim them to mach the skate footbed.
  6. $400 will buy a very nice pair of skates. But, don't get the wrong ones or you will be sorry.

trtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 01:49 PM
dannythekid

^^^ All excellent points.

I spent two hours trying on skates before I settled on the Bauer Supreme One70s ($300).

I have always liked Bauer skates, and I went back and forth between sizes (I wear a 10.5-11 shoe and went with 8.5).

It's all about what fits your foot the best, but you definitely want to take your time and get the right skate for how much they cost. And once they're baked, they're yours.

dannythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Rogi77

took your advice and tried on all the skates that the shop had for a size 11.5 foot.
after trying on about 8 pairs of skates nothing seemed to fit comfortable.
just as i was trying on my last two pairs of skates, the UPS guy delivered 6 pairs of CCM U+Cl and 3 pair of U +12's.
i have to be honest... even before they were baked these skates felt much better than the other 8 pairs I tried on before.
After the Bake, all the pressure point were gone!!!

if you were wondering 6 of the 9 skates that came in that day were already sold. I got lucky because I got the last pair of U +12.
thank you guys for all your help. and Yes I do recommend these skates to anyone looking for a comfortable fit.

Old
11-03-2010, 11:13 AM
trtaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogi77 View Post
took your advice and tried on all the skates that the shop had for a size 11.5 foot.
just as i was trying on my last two pairs of skates, the UPS guy delivered 6 pairs of CCM U+Cl and 3 pair of U +12's.
i have to be honest... even before they were baked these skates felt much better than the other 8 pairs I tried on before.

if you were wondering 6 of the 9 skates that came in that day were already sold. I got lucky because I got the last pair of U +12.
thank you guys for all your help. and Yes I do recommend these skates to anyone looking for a comfortable fit.
Congratulations!

Keep us posted. Let us know how the break in period goes and if you continue to be happy with them. Indications are it is a nice skate.

trtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:29 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

You should have gotten the U+ Crazy Lights. As then you would have been visited by Ovie's floating head and the championship would have been yours.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:38 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
You should have gotten the U+ Crazy Lights. As then you would have been visited by Ovie's floating head and the championship would have been yours.
I wish CCM U+ would fit my duck feet.

I love that commercial. Ha, Ha. hahahahahahaha!

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:35 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogi77 View Post

Really? The unbaked CCMs felt much better than all the other skates you tried on? I've tried on unbaked CCM U+ Pros and they felt horrible IMO, not molded to the foot at all, most skates are roughly foot shaped before baking, but CCM U+ skates come very boxy and are meant to really do way more molding during the baking process. Maybe their new top of the line skates like the U+ 12s are different, and come fairly foot shaped before baking?

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 04:47 PM
jsykes

The new line of skates have been redesigned to give them more of a "foot shape" before molding than previous models so that they are easier to try on and have a better pre-mold feel.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Burnsie87

CCM U+12 Crazy Lights

Hi

I am looking to upgrade to a pair of Crazy Lights - does anyone know if their sizing is pretty much the same as before? I wear a skate size 2 CCM 02 skate currently - am I safe to assume a skate size 2 Crazy Light will be the same?

The problem I have is that I am in the UK so choice here is very limited & its hard to find any shops with a range of sizes esp. in junior which means I am down to internet shopping which is not my 1st choice when buying skates.

Any advice gratefully received.

Burnsie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 06:41 AM
jeremyp

I originally purchased a pair of U+12's and had to have them warrantied due to an issue with the U Foam and ended up upgrading to the U+ CL's because they couldn't get my size for 2 months. There doesn't seem to be a whole heck of a lot of difference between the 12's and the CL's and would have been totally happy with the 12's, I just didn't want to wait 2 months to get them.

These are the most moldable skates I've ever had and completely formed to the shape of my foot. The only thing I'll have to do is have the spot on my inside ankle bone punched out just a tad on each skate (I have pointy ankle bones that stick out a lot). Other than that they are absolutely perfect for me.

I also have flat feet and I have to disagree with the statement that no skates are made for flat feet. As someone who has tried on just about all the skates I could find, some skates definitely are NOT made for people with low arches or flat feet. Anyone with flat feet ever try on Bauer Supremes? OUCH!!! Talk about arch pain! CCM's, Bauer Vapors and Easton's have always seemed to be better for flat feet or low arches.

I do agree with the statement about insoles. Don't hesitate and get 'em. Superfeet, Graf or custom insoles make a world of a difference. Whichever ones you get, make sure you have them in when you heat mold the skates. My Graf insoles now seem like they are part of the skate.

As far as sizing goes, I'd say you still have to try them on. I did find that the sizing is identical to last years U+ line, with a slightly wider heel.

JP

jeremyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Rogi77

Let me explain the 8 pairs.
4 pairs were Bauer Skates.(Nice looking skates,good price, nicely constructed). NOT FOR FLAT FEET!!!! on two pair of the bauer skates as soon as i laced up and stood up my arches in my feet were hurting.

Eastons were ok in the comfort dept, but not so much on value for my $$$. also i've seen a guys leave the ice after getting hit on the inside of the skate.

the u+ 09,08 were too narrow in the middle of the skate and felt too thin.

im 5'11 200lb and have a size 11.5 - 12 shoe and fit into 9.5D U+12 skate like a glove.

I will take you up on the advice of getting the Graf insoles.
first skate last weekend and no pain and the edges feel great.
Hope this helps those who are looking online like I was the past three months for any thread I could find.

best advise is TRY THEM ON. every pair the shop has in your size!!!!

Old
11-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Rogi77

Let me explain the 8 pairs.
4 pairs were Bauer Skates.(Nice looking skates,good price, nicely constructed). NOT FOR FLAT FEET!!!! on two pair of the bauer skates as soon as i laced up and stood up my arches in my feet were hurting.

Eastons were ok in the comfort dept, but not so much on value for my $$$. also i've seen a guys leave the ice after getting hit on the inside of the skate.

the u+ 09,08 were too narrow in the middle of the skate and felt too thin.

im 5'11 200lb and have a size 11.5 - 12 shoe and fit into 9.5D U+12 skate like a glove.

I will take you up on the advice of getting the Graf insoles.
first skate last weekend and no pain and the edges feel great.
Hope this helps those who are looking online like I was the past three months for any thread I could find.

best advice* is TRY THEM ON. every pair the shop has in your size!!!!