HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers' Giroux establishing himself as an elite player

Old
11-02-2010, 08:43 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
I'm not surprised about Giroux at all. I've been his biggest fan on the board since day one and was ecstatic when the Flyers drafted him.

Not sure if anyone knows the Giroux story, but it's very interesting and can be summed up as follows:

- kid from Northern Ontario that was passed up in the OHL draft and was an invite for the Gatineau Olympiques

- when his season started with Gatineau, he was rated 227th by Central Scouting Bureau because no one knew what to make of him

- by mid season, he jumped 80 spots to 147. Scouts started becoming interesting in this skinny kid from Northern Ontario who was taking over the Quebec league

- by the end of his first season in Gatineau, Giroux moved up an incredible 100 spots to 47. He jumped 180 positions from the time his season started to when the season ended. No other player in scouting history ever made that kind of jump

- by the time the draft rolled around, Giroux moved up another 22 spots to 25. 202 spots he jumped.

- The Flyers drafted him at 22 and the rest is history.

I've also stated that year three is the year most players break out and have their big jump to the next level. Giroux is certainly doing that right now. I'll say it right now - he's the most skilled player on the team and he's quite possibly the best forward on the team. I love what Richards brings to the table and I love the fact that Carter is a goal scorer, but Claude is head and shoulders above them when it comes to skill.

I've often referred to Giroux as a young Mark Recchi-type player, but the comparisons to Peter Forsberg are certainly worth some merit as well. Couldn't be happier for a player who fought, scratched, kicked and clawed his way into major junior hockey.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Kaktus*

forgot to mention how Clarke forgot his last name. Was hysterical.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:00 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
forgot to mention how Clarke forgot his last name. Was hysterical.
Yep. Poor Bobby. I loved the guy, but when that moment happened, I knew that Clarke was at the end of the line with regards to the job. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Bobby come back in an interim capacity though if Holmgren ever got canned. I think Bobby would treat things a little bit differently and would certainly delegate more tasks to everyone rather than take on everything by himself. People can say what they want about Bob, but he'll never do any wrong in my eyes because all what he wanted to do was win. I'll take that in a GM any day of the week......

Old
11-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Yep. Poor Bobby. I loved the guy, but when that moment happened, I knew that Clarke was at the end of the line with regards to the job. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Bobby come back in an interim capacity though if Holmgren ever got canned. I think Bobby would treat things a little bit differently and would certainly delegate more tasks to everyone rather than take on everything by himself. People can say what they want about Bob, but he'll never do any wrong in my eyes because all what he wanted to do was win. I'll take that in a GM any day of the week......
I agree. Clarke looked very old at that moment. My thanks to Lombardi. I honestly think he did it, drafted this kid.

last year summer time I was comparing him to Parise and he is Flyers version of Parise. Anyway, between him Richards and Carter with JVR I think we are set at forward. Got to keep all of them to stand u agaist Pens for the next 10 years.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:37 PM
BernieParent

I think it's time to begin a "Giroux is an overrated mediocre, selfish, defensively irresponsible, small, flash-in-the-pan" campaign to ensure that the Flyers can afford him next year.

"Yeah, two goals of his hat trick were short-handed and the other he stickhandled through both benches, but did you see that brutal turnover in the pregame warm-up? The kid's just going to nosedive any game now, you mark my words!"

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:39 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I think it's time to begin a "Giroux is an overrated mediocre, selfish, defensively irresponsible, small, flash-in-the-pan" campaign to ensure that the Flyers can afford him next year.

"Yeah, two goals of his hat trick were short-handed and the other he stickhandled through both benches, but did you see that brutal turnover in the pregame warm-up? The kid's just going to nosedive any game now, you mark my words!"
I don't know if we have to.

The rest of HFBoards has me thoroughly convinced that Giroux's just a Versteeg clone and a poor clone at that. Versteeg did a Championship Gangster Rap after all.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I don't know if we have to.

The rest of HFBoards has me thoroughly convinced that Giroux's just a Versteeg clone and a poor clone at that. Versteeg did a Championship Gangster Rap after all.
this is all a veneer. Giroux actually sucks so badly, that other teams let him undress them so he feels better.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:41 PM
BernieParent

Well there you go! Thanks for putting me at ease, Chris. Thank goodness that cooler heads have prevailed and the truth has come out!!!

Old
11-03-2010, 08:31 AM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I don't know anything about that Tony Greco guy... but maybe some other Flyers could have him overseeing their summer training. Powe and Giroux must be some of the most fit players in the league.
but the flyers love jimmy and all of the ensuing hip/groin injuries! they could never can him.

laviolette demands top-notch conditioning out of his players, he should get them a top-notch strength and conditioning coach.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Cartsiephan*

Don't let Jester see this because Jeff Carter is the next coming of JC himself in his eyes, not Giroux being the next elite NHL player to make the jump.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Don't let Jester see this because Jeff Carter is the next coming of JC himself in his eyes, not Giroux being the next elite NHL player to make the jump.
So redundant. Of course Jeff Carter is the next coming of Jeff Carter himself.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
So redundant. Of course Jeff Carter is the next coming of Jeff Carter himself.
They both walk/skate on water.....

Old
11-03-2010, 11:11 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
In defense of Jester (and I've had plenty of knock down, drag 'em out arguments and debates with him), I don't think that's a fair assessment of him at all. I don't think I've ever read a post from him stating a dislike about Giroux or Giroux not being able to take his game to the next level. If anything, Jester posted concerns about Giroux's size and how he's been moved from Right Wing to Center and that there might be some issues on the defensive side of his game, but that's about it.

As for Carter, I'm on the Carter boat that the Flyers are a much better team with him in the lineup than without him. Fact is, Carter is not only an excellent goal scorer, but his defensive game is disgustingly under rated. No, he's not the most physical player in the world, but he plays a very smart positional game and he has speed that few others in the league can match. It's that very speed that kills.

Old
11-03-2010, 11:52 AM
BernieParent

... and why are we flogging this issue of Carter in yet another thread, anyway? Giroux is Giroux, he's showing some great strides forward in his game though still has to work on defensive responsibility (remember his behind-the-back giveaway behind his own net for the GL goal earlier in the season?) and his magic with the puck is a pleasure to watch.

I'm just tired of Giroux vs. Carter like they cannot exist in the same plane of existence.

Old
11-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:

Yeah, but on this board if Jeff Carter did that there would be a thread entitled: Jeff Carter can't swim.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Yeah, but on this board if Jeff Carter did that there would be a thread entitled: Jeff Carter can't swim.
Jeff Carter can't aim well enough hit water if he fell out of a boat, so lets not get ahead of ourselves about the swimming part.

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 12:09 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun
Variant of Rev Jesse Jackson on SNL about 15 years ago? I love this quote.

Old
11-03-2010, 12:42 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Mmmm.. yeah.

Point of this list really isn't for Giroux, just Crosby not being in the top 10 makes me happy.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
In defense of Jester (and I've had plenty of knock down, drag 'em out arguments and debates with him), I don't think that's a fair assessment of him at all. I don't think I've ever read a post from him stating a dislike about Giroux or Giroux not being able to take his game to the next level. If anything, Jester posted concerns about Giroux's size and how he's been moved from Right Wing to Center and that there might be some issues on the defensive side of his game, but that's about it.

As for Carter, I'm on the Carter boat that the Flyers are a much better team with him in the lineup than without him. Fact is, Carter is not only an excellent goal scorer, but his defensive game is disgustingly under rated. No, he's not the most physical player in the world, but he plays a very smart positional game and he has speed that few others in the league can match. It's that very speed that kills.

This goes to a question I posed to him about given the choice of resigning either Carter or Giroux at same salary. Given the choice who would you resign? Personally I think Giroux has all the tools to be a quality top fwd in the NHL and not do it just by scoring goals, he just makes others around him better which is what you want from your top players.

Bottom line it will most likely be either Giroux/Leino or Carter/Leino to have back next year unless they shed some salary on the defense which was Homers philosophy on winning this year. There are no wings in the system and at this point it is more than obvious that not only do I view Giroux better at center but so does Laviolette.

Old
11-03-2010, 01:24 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
This goes to a question I posed to him about given the choice of resigning either Carter or Giroux at same salary. Given the choice who would you resign? Personally I think Giroux has all the tools to be a quality top fwd in the NHL and not do it just by scoring goals, he just makes others around him better which is what you want from your top players.

Bottom line it will most likely be either Giroux/Leino or Carter/Leino to have back next year unless they shed some salary on the defense which was Homers philosophy on winning this year. There are no wings in the system and at this point it is more than obvious that not only do I view Giroux better at center but so does Laviolette.
It is actually more like...

Carter/Leino/having money for 6th dman and 4th line - this is beyond retarded and will never happen (allowing Roo to walk)

Carter/Giroux/going lean on 6th dman and 4th line - this is the most plausible outcome, especially considering Homer's track record

Giroux/Leino/having even more money for 6th dman and 4th line - this is the best idea because we either trade Carter (improving our prospect pool immensely, allowing us cap space to form a TRUE shutdown 3rd line, etc.) or allow him to get offer sheated (improving our prospect pool immensely, allowing us cap space to form a TRUE shutdown 3rd line, etc.). It solves nearly every problem our organization currently has (flawed philosophy regarding the 3rd line, lack of prospects, no cap space).

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 01:26 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post

Mmmm.. yeah.

Point of this list really isn't for Giroux, just Crosby not being in the top 10 makes me happy.
It's November 3rd homie.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
It is actually more like...

Carter/Leino/having money for 6th dman and 4th line - this is beyond retarded and will never happen (allowing Roo to walk)

Carter/Giroux/going lean on 6th dman and 4th line - this is the most plausible outcome, especially considering Homer's track record

Giroux/Leino/having even more money for 6th dman and 4th line - this is the best idea because we either trade Carter (improving our prospect pool immensely, allowing us cap space to form a TRUE shutdown 3rd line, etc.) or allow him to get offer sheated (improving our prospect pool immensely, allowing us cap space to form a TRUE shutdown 3rd line, etc.). It solves nearly every problem our organization currently has (flawed philosophy regarding the 3rd line, lack of prospects, no cap space).
Agree with each three of these analysis, spot on, it is the current situation Homer has himself in. I love the third piece because the farm system is in shambles, if Carter has a 35-35-70 type year it puts him in a position to yield a very nice return.

Old
11-03-2010, 04:21 PM
UseYourAllusion

Powe is a monster.

Also, who's skinny pastey legs are those 1:05-1:08

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 05:06 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Black View Post
It's November 3rd homie.
I know man, just trying to enjoy it while it lasts, ya dig?

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:

technically, everyone in the NHL skates on water.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote