Getting to know the DEL

Old
11-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Coog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL View Post
Hope this works,

did a quick check on development of average attendance, which you should find attached. Berlin got a new arena, thus the significant increase. A few teams are stable, but unfortunately most experienced significant decrease of attendance.

Cheers,
Fal
Hmm yeah, I see that. Is there any obvious reason to the decrease in attendance? I read in the forum that you have som troubles with the structure of the league where there’s conflicting interests? Could that be a part of it?

Coog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Sanderson

Attendance figures aren't really good, especially in the big arenas.

Düsseldorf and Hannover are at maybe 1/3 of capacity, Cologne way below 50% as well, though they do have a very large arena and aren't playing well. Hamburg is above 50%, but not exactly packing the arena either, and with their lack of success it's not going to go up either. Mannheim is a bit above those teams, but not anywhere near their peak either. Only Berlin seems to draw near capacity when it comes to those arenas. All the other teams had significantly larger crowds in the past.

Now, obviously lack of success will always hurt your attendance, but it appears like many fans simply aren't happy with the way hockey is going right now at the top level, for various reasons.

Occassionaly the fans will appear, like at Kassel's first game after going bankrupt and being thrown out of the DEL, with a capacity crowd (I think) coming to a 5th tier game.

Simply put, crowds are stagnant at best.

There are multiple reasons. The chaos that surrounds the league and the teams, with lots of financial problems every summer. Changing rules all the time. Lack of success over years and years, especially when paired with rather high expectations, or simply dislike for what is going on today. Fans in Düsseldorf, for example, absolutely can't stand their new arena and won't visit games anymore.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Coog

Sounds tumultuous – to say the least. Just hope it stabilizes. Sweden manage to produce quit a lot of hockey talent out of a population of 9 millions. Just imagine what Germany could do if (when?) the sport gains some more popularity.

Coog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:57 AM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Well, I've basically given up hope of hockey ever becoming more popular in Germany.

I've been a German hockey fan for far too long to expect anything good.

I used to have a season ticket but I don't go to more than 8 games a season nowadays because I just can't stand the hockey that is being shown anymore.

Far too many penalties, no emotion and passion, it doesn't resemble the game I once fell in love with.
The arena that is too big for the team is another reason. It's just depressing to sit in an empty arena.

JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:11 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR View Post
Far too many penalties, no emotion and passion, it doesn't resemble the game I once fell in love with.
sounds like me before this season. then i had the pleasure to watch a 5th-tier game with 5000 other fans. the hockey itself was pretty bad of course, but there was more passion than i ever saw in pro hockey. when the opponent is almost in tears of joy after losing with 17 goals you know that they love this sport.

i have no idea how the emotions/passion is in 3rd-tier, but from what i heard wedemark has a nice start into the season with good attendance.

i gave up on pro hockey for now, but amateur hockey in germany is fun. i think i will watch more junioren and jugend bundesliga games. and from what i heard the DNL games are fun too. the kids are alright, it's the pro leagues who killed the sport.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 01:24 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Yup, I was at the first game of the season, there's a pretty great video on their homepage.

Awesome quality:

http://www.wedemark-farmers.de/fotos/vid001.htm

Isn't it beautiful??

JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 01:39 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR View Post
Yup, I was at the first game of the season, there's a pretty great video on their homepage.

Awesome quality:

http://www.wedemark-farmers.de/fotos/vid001.htm

Isn't it beautiful??
ah great. that's how i like hockey.

here are some impressions from the 2nd huskies game:

http://www.extratip.de/index.php?page=850&video_id=1783

(server sometimes a bit slow)

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote