HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Attendance in AHL

Old
11-03-2010, 03:28 AM
The Hutch

vCash: 500
I'm not so sure of how many western-based NHL teams would move their AHL teams to the same general geographical areas. A team like Vancouver can move prospects to and from Winnipeg in three hours for home games, and to my understanding are happy with the location for moving prospects to away games.

I just hope that the Heat having to handle travel costs for visiting teams doesn't contribute to a complete collapse in revenue. This really is the best hockey that this city will ever see. It would be a shame to lose it. In their brief history, the Heat have been hovering around the same attendance averages as the previous locations of Quad City and Omaha. The only difference now is that they need sellouts for the Manitoba Moose to spike up the average.

The Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:39 AM
ChicagoWolves1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hutch View Post
I'm not so sure of how many western-based NHL teams would move their AHL teams to the same general geographical areas. A team like Vancouver can move prospects to and from Winnipeg in three hours for home games, and to my understanding are happy with the location for moving prospects to away games.

I just hope that the Heat having to handle travel costs for visiting teams doesn't contribute to a complete collapse in revenue. This really is the best hockey that this city will ever see. It would be a shame to lose it. In their brief history, the Heat have been hovering around the same attendance averages as the previous locations of Quad City and Omaha. The only difference now is that they need sellouts for the Manitoba Moose to spike up the average.
I really hope Hutch that they do not have issues with this. You would think though that the travel cost to come to you is significantly haigher than any other trip every team takes each season. I do think that it definitely lends some spice to have a team out by you. Another writer mentioned AAA baseball. Maybe the AHL could put together a few teams that would constitute the West, much like the AHL did with Texas and OKC having 4 teams to kind of round-robin with. Abb is doing rather well as well. I hate when teams have to up and go. It is not fair to the loyal fans who have put their time, money and hearts into their teams. But, business is business I know.

ChicagoWolves1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:41 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hutch View Post

the AHL did the same thing for MLSE when they played at both Memorial Coliseum and then Mile One Stadium in St. John's, NFLD.... THE LEAGUE'S HELPING Fraser Valley and the Heat by doing tht, by taking tht expense off the ownership, which is why you're seeing two game series in Abbotsford.......

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:02 PM
ChicagoWolves1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
the AHL did the same thing for MLSE when they played at both Memorial Coliseum and then Mile One Stadium in St. John's, NFLD.... THE LEAGUE'S HELPING Fraser Valley and the Heat by doing tht, by taking tht expense off the ownership, which is why you're seeing two game series in Abbotsford.......
I noticed the 2 gamers back-to-back and figured it was a cost saving method. How does a 2 gamer like that affect attendance, with the same teams playing like that? I would think seeing the same team once is enough. Two in two or three nights may be too much.

Old
11-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
Okay, Chris, one more time - the league isn't providing any help. The Heat 9and the fine taxpaying citizens of Abbotsford) are footing the bill for visiting teams- it was in their original agreement.

And oh, yeah, because you seem to have missed it the last 15 times it was pointed out to you:
it's spelled
"t - h - a - t."

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 05:39 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
Okay, Chris, one more time - the league isn't providing any help. The Heat 9and the fine taxpaying citizens of Abbotsford) are footing the bill for visiting teams- it was in their original agreement.

And oh, yeah, because you seem to have missed it the last 15 times it was pointed out to you:
it's spelled
"t - h - a - t."
since WHEN do I criticize your spelling and/or punctuation, Grandpa Bear

Old
11-03-2010, 05:42 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:

it's spelled
"t - h - a - t."
then maybe there should be no travel subsidy for any visiting franchise and its booster club, including Hershey, Rumblick, how would the Bears feel about tht?

Old
11-03-2010, 05:48 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWolves1 View Post
I noticed the 2 gamers back-to-back and figured it was a cost saving method. How does a 2 gamer like that affect attendance, with the same teams playing like that? I would think seeing the same team once is enough. Two in two or three nights may be too much.
attendance, CW1, is a minor factor, but why would the AHL approve the 2 gm series if there's isn't some saving effect, it helps boost rivalries if one gets established, but it's hard to establish a franchise like Abbotsford after failing twice.... is a 50/50 partnership truly be classified as a success if the local ownership collapses and fails to meet its end of the contract?

Old
11-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
then maybe there should be no travel subsidy for any visiting franchise and its booster club, including Hershey, Rumblick, how would the Bears feel about tht?
Travel subsidy for booster clubs?

Seems the "old Hutch" is back.

Old
11-03-2010, 06:05 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:

you're the one who brought it up, Rumblick, by sticking your nose in where in doesn't belong

Old
11-03-2010, 09:14 PM
axecrew

Quote:
you're the one who brought it up, Rumblick, by sticking your nose in where in doesn't belong
POT......KETTLE

Last edited by axecrew: 11-03-2010 at 09:20 PM.
axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 09:19 PM
axecrew

Sorry double post

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:20 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:

Wait, you are telling me that the AHL doesn't subsidize booster club travel? Hey, maybe the Professor is on to something as that could be a big boost to attendance!

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:35 AM
ChicagoWolves1

Quote:

it's spelled
"t - h - a - t."
Is it true that Abb is helping subsidize travel for visitors? Why is that?

What is happening with Scranton--can anyone stop this team? Even Hershey is bowing.

Old
11-04-2010, 10:43 AM
WolfKeeper

Quote:
Is it true that Abb is helping subsidize travel for visitors? Why is that?
Because of their remote location. It's a hardship for the teams having to play them.

Quote:
But despite that, he thinks the move will be approved. The league still has to go through a due diligence process in terms of the membership and relocation applications before the issue goes to the board around the end of April. The primary problem standing in the way of the move is Abbotsford’s location. “It’s a long, long way from other teams in our league,” he said. “They have committed to paying travel subsidies which would fully compensate our teams for the air travel to get out there. That certainly will help. I think that without that, the move had no chance. With it, it will still be somewhat of a challenge.”
http://thethirdintermission.blogspot...ews-talks.html

WolfKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:21 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
What is happening with Scranton--can anyone stop this team? Even Hershey is bowing.
I highly doubt that the 2-time defending Calder Cup champions are bowing to anyone. They don't have Holtby on their roster right now either, who hasn't lost in regulation in his 5 starts and has comparable stats to both of WB/S's goalies.

Sure, WB/S has started the season off hot, but let's see where things are later in the season.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 11-04-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old
11-04-2010, 12:05 PM
ChicagoWolves1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I highly doubt that the 2-time defending Calder Cup champions are bowing to anyone. They don't have Holtby on their roster right now either, who hasn't lost in regulation in his 5 starts and has comparable stats to both of WB/S's goalies.

Sure, WB/S has started the season off hot, but let's see where things are later in the season.
You're right--bowing is too strong. 8-0 though is pretty impressive though. I am not a Scranton fan but that is strong. They will have to answer to the 2-time defending champs no doubt. I am actually happy both of those teams are in the East as a Wolves fan. I have enough problems being in the middle of the pack currently in the West. Big 8-game road trip starts tomorrow, including 5 down South.

Old
11-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Rumblick

The Pens are looking terrific. They're solid up front, on defense and in goal, they've added some solid veteran leadership, and they look very good - for now. However, I've checked the records, and there hasn't been a Cup won or lost in October in league history, so just for kicks, we'll play the rest of the season before the coronation begins.

Old
11-04-2010, 04:56 PM
ChicagoWolves1

Quote:
The Pens are looking terrific. They're solid up front, on defense and in goal, they've added some solid veteran leadership, and they look very good - for now. However, I've checked the records, and there hasn't been a Cup won or lost in October in league history, so just for kicks, we'll play the rest of the season before the coronation begins.
No doubt a long season lies ahead. I watched some Black Hawks last night--wow they looked terrible. L to Devils and it did not resemble last year's squad.

Old
11-04-2010, 06:56 PM
HullToSelanne

WBS is showing where the power is now in the East with that thrashing of Hershey the other night.

As for my Moose... we need to step things up on the last 2 games of this road trip and then the 4 game home stand... cmon moose, step it up!

HullToSelanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Captain Esoteric

Quote:
Any idea of what is going on in Bingo? Is this a sign that the Bingo faithful want Ottawa out of town?
From what I've heard, everything pretty much points to this being the culprit. However, it also seems that people in the area are somewhat oblivious to the fact that low attendance could mean disaster. It seems to be a high-stakes game of chicken in Binghamton nowadays.

Captain Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 09:43 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by HullToSelanne View Post
WBS is showing where the power is now in the East with that thrashing of Hershey the other night.
Regular season games in the beginning of the season are hardly a barometer of how the teams will be come April. However, let's see them thrash the Bears with Holtby in net before we annoint them as the power in the AHL given that both Sabourin and Ford have been below average at best for Hershey.

Old
11-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Regular season games in the beginning of the season are hardly a barometer of how the teams will be come April. However, let's see them thrash the Bears with Holtby in net before we annoint them as the power in the AHL given that both Sabourin and Ford have been below average at best for Hershey.
Let's face it, you really don't know what kind of an AHL club you have going into the playoffs till after the trade deadline. Although salary caps have made things a little harder you never know if your parent club might pull a 3 for 1 deal or what have you.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 07:46 PM
HullToSelanne

Quote:
they did beat holtby. season opener in WB, they won in a shootout.

HullToSelanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 08:49 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by HullToSelanne View Post
they did beat holtby. season opener in WB, they won in a shootout.
Yes, in the first game of the season they did. But the other losses were without Holtby so, IMO, they don't mean all that much. And, frankly, since there are not shootouts in the playoffs, at best, the Pens demonstrated (again in the first game of the season) that they can hang with the Bears. Simply put, until the Bears lose a series in the playoffs, they are still the team to beat in the league.