HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Bobrovsky be Reassigned to AHL on Leighton's Return?

Old
11-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Unstable

vCash: 500
I wanted him to go down so he could start. He's starting now. I see no reason for a change.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:02 AM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Bob struggles with traffic, I would say thats his biggest flaw right now
I saw him struggling with that especially in the Buffalo game. I agree with what someone else said, that he will get better at that as his communication becomes more fluid. I expect to see him make strides as the season progresses.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:26 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Bob worries me when he losses track of the puck. It happens at least once a game.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:28 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

better then birons loss of the puck.

im comfortable with him in, and expect an occasional goal. our defense should limit them and our offense should give him a comfortable buffer by now.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:34 AM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
they're not going to assign him to the minors because you don't send your best goalie to the minor leagues for a couple of guys who are career backups.

great job by scouting for identifying him over other FA candidates playing abroad, and nice work by management in making a low-risk, high-reward move.
Well said !Management should get lots of kudos for their work in finding this kid and then signing him etc.I also think too many folks are worrying way too much about Bob burning out etc.Playing goal is this kids passion, he loves it ! When you do things you love and are passionate about you do not tire of it nearly as much as doing something you dislike or are bored with......Like sitting on the bench ! Let the big dog keep eating up pucks !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:53 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
they're not going to assign him to the minors because you don't send your best goalie to the minor leagues for a couple of guys who are career backups.

great job by scouting for identifying him over other FA candidates playing abroad, and nice work by management in making a low-risk, high-reward move.
They signed a ****** career backup as our starter for the season.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:05 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Bob worries me when he losses track of the puck. It happens at least once a game.
What goalie doesn't lose the site of the puck at least once a game?

But yeah, I think Bob will definitely stay up and alternate between Boosh and Leighton.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:30 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Unless he totally ***** the bed, he better stay up. We've won 7 games. He's been in net for 6 of them. Nuff said... so far.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:19 PM
7475Fly

Nice to see some love for Bob on NHL.com - He is #10 on Top 10 Saves of the week:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...nhl-rr-topvids

7475Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:57 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, the issue at the outset was that he needed to be playing games... lots of 'em. Him being in the NHL as a backup should not be the situation no matter what.
Where else do you send him? Adirondack is toxic right now with the mutiny going on there and sending him to the ECHL does him no favour. Do you risk loaning him to another club's AHL team where said team might not develop him the way the Flyers want? It's a tough call right now.

With that being said, I'd be very comfortable with Bobrovsky getting 30 to 35 starts and 40 to 45 starts being split between Boucher and Leighton. I'll admit that as much as I'm uncomfortable with this, Leighton certainly played well/over his head for the Flyers last year and if anything, deserves a shot at seeing whether he can repeat or not. He's earned that much.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:00 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan 16
Adirondack is toxic right now with the mutiny going on there ...
This. I was all for Bobrovsky learning the North American game in the AHL and the franchise being conservative with him. But given the chaos going on in Adirondack, I don't want him anywhere near there.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:09 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Where else do you send him? Adirondack is toxic right now with the mutiny going on there and sending him to the ECHL does him no favour. Do you risk loaning him to another club's AHL team where said team might not develop him the way the Flyers want? It's a tough call right now.

With that being said, I'd be very comfortable with Bobrovsky getting 30 to 35 starts and 40 to 45 starts being split between Boucher and Leighton. I'll admit that as much as I'm uncomfortable with this, Leighton certainly played well/over his head for the Flyers last year and if anything, deserves a shot at seeing whether he can repeat or not. He's earned that much.
I am just afraid the Flyers view Leighton as the "starter" and when hes ready to come back he will start. The old thinking is a starter cant lose his job due to injury. Then that leaves us with Boucher who Holmgren is probably loyal to and we all know how that goes in this organization. I hope I am wrong, but i shutter to think what will happen when Leighton does come back because I doubt they carry 3 goalies.
Can anyone see Holmgren trading Boucher? I cant.
Which leaves us to Bobrovsky going to the AHL. we all know whats going on down there. its a ****show. Problem is Holmgren thinks Gilbert is doing a good job. So what do you do?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:21 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I am just afraid the Flyers view Leighton as the "starter" and when hes ready to come back he will start. The old thinking is a starter cant lose his job due to injury. Then that leaves us with Boucher who Holmgren is probably loyal to and we all know how that goes in this organization. I hope I am wrong, but i shutter to think what will happen when Leighton does come back because I doubt they carry 3 goalies.
Can anyone see Holmgren trading Boucher? I cant.
Which leaves us to Bobrovsky going to the AHL. we all know whats going on down there. its a ****show. Problem is Holmgren thinks Gilbert is doing a good job. So what do you do?

To a degree though, that didnt happen last year. When Boucher went down and got hurt, and we picked up Leighton, even when Boucher came back from injury, Leighton stayed as a starter.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:47 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

The old "players don't lose their spot due to injury" is the biggest lie that coaches and GM's tell. It happens a LOT.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
To a degree though, that didnt happen last year. When Boucher went down and got hurt, and we picked up Leighton, even when Boucher came back from injury, Leighton stayed as a starter.
Yeah, except Boucher doesn't fall into "starter" category there... he was the backup to Emery (who they were also waiting on at that stage).

I agree, though, I don't buy that Laviolette is going to suddenly not back Bob if he continues to play like this. I would expect Leighton to get in some games and see where we are at, but it's pretty clear right now that Lavy really likes what he's seeing from Bob.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:55 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Leighton will likely get a conditioning stint in the AHL as well

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:58 AM
phillyflu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah, except Boucher doesn't fall into "starter" category there... he was the backup to Emery (who they were also waiting on at that stage).

I agree, though, I don't buy that Laviolette is going to suddenly not back Bob if he continues to play like this. I would expect Leighton to get in some games and see where we are at, but it's pretty clear right now that Lavy really likes what he's seeing from Bob.
Unlike some(most) previous coaches we've had, Lavy isn't afraid to ride a young goaltender. He rode Ward all the way to a Stanley Cup. If it's up to him, Bob is the man, until Bob proves he (can't) handle the job.

phillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 12:21 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Bobvrovsky still needs to monitored. Didnt someone say hes never played more then 35 games? I hope he can keep this going. hopefully is endurance wont be that much of a concern.

Old
11-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Bobvrovsky still needs to monitored. Didnt someone say hes never played more then 35 games? I hope he can keep this going. hopefully is endurance wont be that much of a concern.
He'll be fine if his starts stay at around 55 or so and we don't have to run him into the ground fighting for a playoff spot down the stretch.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 01:17 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
He'll be fine if his starts stay at around 55 or so and we don't have to run him into the ground fighting for a playoff spot down the stretch.
yeah I would agree. The Kings did that with Quick last year because they didnt trust Ersberg. Lets hope we dont make the same mistake.

Old
11-03-2010, 01:19 PM
captainpaxil

i expect hell be sent down because he can be. they owe leighton the chance to fail, when either he or boucher play poorly or a stretch of games theyll be waived and bob will be recalled

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
i expect hell be sent down because he can be. they owe leighton the chance to fail, when either he or boucher play poorly or a stretch of games theyll be waived and bob will be recalled
I wonder if they'll carry three for a bit or at least let Leighton start in the AHL as part of a conditioning assignment.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
I actually think anything that Leighton was owed sort of gets pushed to the side by his failure to disclose his injury in contract talks. Still not sure how I feel about that.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I actually think anything that Leighton was owed sort of gets pushed to the side by his failure to disclose his injury in contract talks. Still not sure how I feel about that.
Did anything official ever get released about that? I must have missed it because I've now seen you and a few others bring it up. Not doubting, just curious.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
Did anything official ever get released about that? I must have missed it because I've now seen you and a few others bring it up. Not doubting, just curious.
I don't know if there was ever anything as far as an official statement on the matter from the organization. I think a couple of the writers that follow the team had pieces up with some quotes from some Flyer's suit or another in it.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote