HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Increase in Cap?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-03-2010, 02:12 PM
  #51
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,593
vCash: 500
The TV contract expires after this season. However,the cap is set before the draft in June. The cap is based on revenue from the 2010-11 season. The TV contract would not be part of the 10-11 season.

John Buccigross. Please. No one has mentioned anything about the TV contract and the 11-12 cap except for him.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:23 PM
  #52
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,168
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Methinks that if there is enough money to sign a blue chip free agent (and remember, we've still got to account for Redden on the summer cap) it will be a top pair defenseman.
I agree. Wouldn't be surprised(and would be giddy)if we got Joni Pitkanen. Although, I see Jovanovski as their primary target(I don't know why, but I have a feeling he'll be in Ranger blue to start 11-12).

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:29 PM
  #53
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,593
vCash: 500
Reading this thread

The Rangers have Staal and MDZ on the left side. McDonagh and Valentenko waiting in the wings. Some are proposing signing Pitkanen who was bounced out of Philly and Edmonton and Jovo Cop.

Some people haven't learned their lessons.

The free agent defensemen are overpriced and never are worth the money.

Wasn't that long ago when Rangers fans wanted Komisarek who has been a dog in Toronto.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:31 PM
  #54
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,902
vCash: 50
Staal, Rozy, and Girardi our our big paid dmen. We really cant afford another one. Foster might have been a good go-get this offseason but we decided to get Frolov and Prospal instead.

Don't see any reason why we shouldnt have at least one LD ready next camp.

First line LW is another matter, though.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:31 PM
  #55
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,168
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Reading this thread

The Rangers have Staal and MDZ on the left side. McDonagh and Valentenko waiting in the wings. Some are proposing signing Pitkanen who was bounced out of Philly and Edmonton and Jovo Cop.

Some people haven't learned their lessons.

The free agent defensemen are overpriced and never are worth the money.

Wasn't that long ago when Rangers fans wanted Komisarek who has been a dog in Toronto.
Pitkanen is legit. Komisarek always sucked, never liked or wanted him. We need a legit, top pairing, PMD, and that is Pitkanen. You can never have too much talent on defense.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:36 PM
  #56
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Reading this thread

The Rangers have Staal and MDZ on the left side. McDonagh and Valentenko waiting in the wings. Some are proposing signing Pitkanen who was bounced out of Philly and Edmonton and Jovo Cop.

Some people haven't learned their lessons.

The free agent defensemen are overpriced and never are worth the money.

Wasn't that long ago when Rangers fans wanted Komisarek who has been a dog in Toronto.
True that.

They're the ones that talk about the horrible signings from Sather, but yet, they want him to sign free agents, like you mentioned. Then they go on to praise how well our farm system is.

We all have no control of any of it, but it's stupid to hope that Sather goes out and signs a defenseman or center... Which, equals:

Overpayment ---> Hatred ---> Call for, not only the player's, but Sather's head

Looking at this team now, I'm on the side of saying Sather is doing well. He made his mistakes. Didn't make any new ones in the previous offseason, in my opinion. This is the same guy that's drafted every youth we praise on the team now. There's no more Redden now. There's no more seven years of nothing. There's homegrown talent blooming.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:51 PM
  #57
NYRangers16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Westchester
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
We should have a 3rd pair LD ready next year plus another year of development between Staal and MDZ. I would ge a big proponent of getting Chara had he been available but what we don't need is another soft, offense first D man doing nothing for Lundqvist.

We do however need to get some help for the 1st line...it'll be Gaborik and nothing else at this point. 3rd line can be Avery-Boyle-Prust, 4th can be Grachev-Drury-Boogard or whatever else we come up with. 2nd line is set too. Really what we need is to figure out who plays with Gabby.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:58 PM
  #58
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,593
vCash: 500
The cap has increased thanks to the Canadian dollar which is still strong at 99 cents and 1/3 or 1/4 of the NHL revenues comes from the Canadian teams. That's the #1 reason why the cap increased last season when it was expected to go down. The players exercise their 5% escalator. Then escrow makes up the difference when the players receive more than their negotiated share.

How much longer is this situation going to last? Escrow is going to be a main topic for the PA. Kovalchuk's contract calls for the first two years to have $6 million in salary per year due to escrow. Then the salaries escalate into the $11 million range in the new CBA when Jay Grossman expects escrow to be less when the cap is less.

Quote:
The union may be emotionally preparing the players for a fight, as the mechanics of the escrow issue is expected to be a hot-button point in CBA negotiation
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=337196

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:00 PM
  #59
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepanToGaborik View Post
Pitkanen is legit. Komisarek always sucked, never liked or wanted him. We need a legit, top pairing, PMD, and that is Pitkanen. You can never have too much talent on defense.
Pitkanen is not legit. He hasn't been the same player since he suffered the abdominal/stomach injury in Philly. He was horrible in Philly and then just as bad in Edmonton. Carolina got him for a broken down Erik Cole.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:03 PM
  #60
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,168
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Pitkanen is not legit. He hasn't been the same player since he suffered the abdominal/stomach injury in Philly. He was horrible in Philly and then just as bad in Edmonton. Carolina got him for a broken down Erik Cole.
You obviously haven't watched him in a while. He's been great for Carolina. You keep on mentioning Philly and Edmonton. Newsflash. He's been in Carolina for the past 2+ seasons, and he's been very good.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:06 PM
  #61
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepanToGaborik View Post
You obviously haven't watched him in a while. He's been great for Carolina. You keep on mentioning Philly and Edmonton. Newsflash. He's been in Carolina for the past 2+ seasons, and he's been very good.
He has been good. He's legit in good, not legit in great, though.

Rangers shouldn't go after him either way.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:06 PM
  #62
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
True that.

They're the ones that talk about the horrible signings from Sather, but yet, they want him to sign free agents, like you mentioned. Then they go on to praise how well our farm system is.

We all have no control of any of it, but it's stupid to hope that Sather goes out and signs a defenseman or center... Which, equals:

Overpayment ---> Hatred ---> Call for, not only the player's, but Sather's head

Looking at this team now, I'm on the side of saying Sather is doing well. He made his mistakes. Didn't make any new ones in the previous offseason, in my opinion. This is the same guy that's drafted every youth we praise on the team now. There's no more Redden now. There's no more seven years of nothing. There's homegrown talent blooming.
Not to mention the CBA expires on 9/15/12. The rules are going to change.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:07 PM
  #63
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,168
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
He has been good. He's legit in good, not legit in great, though.

Rangers shouldn't go after him either way.
He's legit in being a top pair dman. If Markov is re-signed, Pitkanen should be our priority to sign.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:07 PM
  #64
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepanToGaborik View Post
You obviously haven't watched him in a while. He's been great for Carolina. You keep on mentioning Philly and Edmonton. Newsflash. He's been in Carolina for the past 2+ seasons, and he's been very good.
Just b/c a player got bounced around it doesn't mean he's "not legit"...especially in Pitkanen's case.

The only knock on this guy was his attitude; outside of that he has a lot of talent and tremendous vision on the back end.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:08 PM
  #65
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,168
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Just b/c a player got bounced around it doesn't mean he's "not legit"...especially in Pitkanen's case.

The only knock on this guy was his attitude; outside of that he has a lot of talent and tremendous vision on the back end.
Exactly my point. A Pitkanen-Del Zotto powerplay pair would be delicious.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:09 PM
  #66
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepanToGaborik View Post
You obviously haven't watched him in a while. He's been great for Carolina. You keep on mentioning Philly and Edmonton. Newsflash. He's been in Carolina for the past 2+ seasons, and he's been very good.
I have seen Pitkanen plenty. Newsflash for you. He has overpaid disaster written all over him. Hasn't been the same player since the injury in Philly when he was destined for stardom.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:11 PM
  #67
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I know that free agency is an auction. I just don't like bidding on players who haven't proven to be what we think they're going to be. Backes is a considerable step down from Koivu, and even Bergeron who, if he regains his form, can be a #1 center in this league.

Someone is going to gamble on the side that he's a 30+ goal scoring power-forward. I don't think we're in a position to do that.
I wasn't comparing Koivu, Bergeron, and Backes. I was relaying who I want next off-season. Obviously if you were able to sign Koivu, you don't need Bergeron. But neither are available anymore...and my next target was Backes.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:12 PM
  #68
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I have seen Pitkanen plenty. Newsflash for you. He has overpaid disaster written all over him.
Ha... Exactly. Not with the guy who puts the team together.

I like what Sather has done the past year-plus, but it's going to take a couple of solid Free Agency periods from Sather before I can trust him during that time of year.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:12 PM
  #69
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,902
vCash: 50
Course if we sign no one, and continue to fill from within, we can afford to hang onto ALL of our successful projects, and turn into Detroit.

fan can dream, eh?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:13 PM
  #70
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
I think it's become of norm for Ranger fans to call every name on the book a possible "overpaid disaster" waiting to happen.

That's what poor managerial assessment will do to a fan base.

Newsflash to everyone.....almost everyone in free agency is overpaid...to what extent is the only question.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:14 PM
  #71
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Course if we sign no one, and continue to fill from within, we can afford to hang onto ALL of our successful projects, and turn into Detroit.

fan can dream, eh?
We can only hope Sather can continue the success of his drafting & this past offseason.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:15 PM
  #72
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,168
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I have seen Pitkanen plenty. Newsflash for you. He has overpaid disaster written all over him. Hasn't been the same player since the injury in Philly when he was destined for stardom.
He hasn't been the Norris-level defenseman, but he's still a very good player. If we could get him for around 4.5 mil, it'd be a great move. Anything over 5 would be too risky for my liking, though.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:15 PM
  #73
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I think it's become of norm for Ranger fans to call every name on the book a possible "overpaid disaster" waiting to happen.

That's what poor managerial assessment will do to a fan base.

Newsflash to everyone.....almost everyone in free agency is overpaid...to what extent is the only question.
True to an extent... Yes.

Especially true for the Rangers.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:17 PM
  #74
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,168
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Course if we sign no one, and continue to fill from within, we can afford to hang onto ALL of our successful projects, and turn into Detroit.

fan can dream, eh?
I'd love for that to happen, but you can't JUST build from within. You have to fill in with free agents. The only reason I want Semin/Pitkanen, is because they are still relatively young and fill a need, which we can't fill from within.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:20 PM
  #75
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,780
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Course if we sign no one, and continue to fill from within, we can afford to hang onto ALL of our successful projects, and turn into Detroit.

fan can dream, eh?
The Red Wings have a great system and a good core. But let's not act as if they never sign FAs.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.