HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Increase in Cap?

Old
11-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The Red Wings have a great system and a good core. But let's not act as if they never sign FAs.
yep, and they are one of if not the oldest teams in the league...thats thanks in part to their free agent philosophy.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
The Red Wings have a great system and a good core. But let's not act as if they never sign FAs.
As final pieces. Like Rafalski with DET or Hossa with Chicago. Most successful teams, most of their best players are homegrown.

I feel like Gaborik and Drury are those guys with us. When Drury expires we canafford someone else.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:22 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Yeah, Hasek, Hull, Robitaille, Rafalski, all free agents who were a big part of Cups.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:29 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
As final pieces. Like Rafalski with DET or Hossa with Chicago. Most successful teams, most of their best players are homegrown.

I feel like Gaborik and Drury are those guys with us. When Drury expires we canafford someone else.
I don't know if I'd say adding a top offensive defenseman (Rafalski), scoring wingers (Bertuzzi, Hull, Robitaille) and a top goalie (Hasek) are final pieces. They may have been final, but they're big and important pieces.

11-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
Lineup

Are the Rangers allowed to extend the contracts of RFAs during this season? Or do they have to wait to first qualify them again in off-season?

Regardless, here is what I'd like to see for next season:

Fedotenko($1.3) - Stepan($.82) - Gaborik($7.5)
Dubinsky($3.2) - Anisimov($2.5) - Callahan($3.4)
Christensen($.975) - Drury($7.05) - Avery$1.9375)
Boogaard($1.65) - Boyle($1) - Prust($.8)
Aasen($1.75)

Staal($3.975) - Del Zotto($1.087)
Rozsival($5) - Girardi($3.325)
Gilroy($1.9) - McDonagh($1.3)
Sauer($.7)

Lundqvist($6.875)
Biron($.875)

Total Cap Hit: $58.915

Current cap is $59.4 so if say it goes up to $62 mill, we'll still have about $3 mill in cap space.

I'm dropping Prospal and Frolov off the team to make room for younger guys...

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't know if I'd say adding a top offensive defenseman (Rafalski), scoring wingers (Bertuzzi, Hull, Robitaille) and a top goalie (Hasek) are final pieces. They may have been final, but they're big and important pieces.
I suppose you're right.

On the other hand, Hull and Luc were both near the end of their careers at that points, UFAs are much cheaper.

You look at the number of career red wings who have been there 10 years or longer, its astronomical. I'd like the rangers to have that sort of family-feel franchise.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:43 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
Are the Rangers allowed to extend the contracts of RFAs during this season? Or do they have to wait to first qualify them again in off-season?

Aasen($1.75)

Sauer($.7)

Lundqvist($6.875)
Biron($.875)

Current cap is $59.4 so if say it goes up to $62 mill, we'll still have about $3 mill in cap space.

Not ready to commit to Fedetenko or Gilroy right now. Or Christensen for that matter.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:49 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
On the other hand, Hull and Luc were both near the end of their careers at that points, UFAs are much cheaper.

You look at the number of career red wings who have been there 10 years or longer, its astronomical. I'd like the rangers to have that sort of family-feel franchise.
The difference now is:

1) the big name UFA to bes don't always reach the open market.

2) It's hard to keep all your home grown guys in a salary cap system.

Old
11-03-2010, 03:52 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Not ready to commit to Fedetenko or Gilroy right now. Or Christensen for that matter.
I agree on Gilroy and Christensen. They are dime a dozen, no need for them.

Fedotenko, on the other hand, is a different story. he is a valuable guy to have in the locker room and as that veteran guy for a young team. He's a solid bottom-6 option.

Old
11-03-2010, 03:54 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepanToGaborik View Post
I agree on Gilroy and Christensen. They are dime a dozen, no need for them.

Fedotenko, on the other hand, is a different story. he is a valuable guy to have in the locker room and as that veteran guy for a young team. He's a solid bottom-6 option.
Yeah but I can't see it being hard to find a guy like him.

Old
11-03-2010, 03:54 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If Feds can keep up his hard-working style that fits in with the team identity, i'd have no problem resigning him, especially if its cheap.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:56 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Resign the RFA's, then see what we have to play with.

A center to play with Gaborik would be nice and a good, cheap veteran defenseman.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:57 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Yeah but I can't see it being hard to find a guy like him.
Always liked Feds. I think he could more useful in the playoffs, though, than most 3rd liners. Especially with Torts at the helm.

Old
11-03-2010, 04:59 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post

Aasen($1.75)

Sauer($.7)

Lundqvist($6.875)
Biron($.875)

Why not dump Gilroy at 1.9 and EC and put in MZA and have 6m to play with instead of 3?

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Why not dump Gilroy at 1.9 and EC and put in MZA and have 6m to play with instead of 3?
No way do we resign gilroy at nearly 2 mil......if at all. And ec is signed for another year at under a million, he'll be back next year even if its as a bench player.

MZA's contract is bigger than EC's and who knows if he will even be able to compete at the NHL level. I do believe he will be able to but he's still got a lot to prove before we pencil him in on next years squad.

My lines for next year would be

Dubi - Anisimov - Callahan
FA - Stepan - Gaborik
Avery - Boyle - Prust
MZA/Feds/FA- Drury - Grachev/FA

EC/Boogy on the bench

D stays the same, with the third combination being a combination of McD/Vtank/Sauer

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:35 PM
arunnair87

Does Redden count against our offseason cap? I thought I heard last offseason that our one-way contracts count against the summer cap (the summer cap is also a 10% increase of the regular cap, which would effectively be Redden's salary, assuming the cap goes up.)

Will this affect our ability to sign all our RFAs and/or UFAs (you know Sather always has a ball on July 1st.)

arunnair87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:37 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnair87 View Post
Does Redden count against our offseason cap? I thought I heard last offseason that our one-way contracts count against the summer cap (the summer cap is also a 10% increase of the regular cap, which would effectively be Redden's salary, assuming the cap goes up.)

Will this affect our ability to sign all our RFAs and/or UFAs (you know Sather always has a ball on July 1st.)
Yes, one way contracts, NHL or AHL, affect the Rangers, like Rissmiller last offseason.

Old
11-03-2010, 10:40 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnair87 View Post

Yeah, he will. But as you said any team can go over the summer cap by 10%. Therefore if the cap raises to say 62.5 million, the Rangers would be able to have all of their 1-way contracts add up to 68.75 million dollars. Therefore, the Redden contract would only roll over .25 million onto the seasons cap.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepanToGaborik View Post
He's legit in being a top pair dman. If Markov is re-signed, Pitkanen should be our priority to sign.
Nobody should unless the player's going to be a bridge for our prospects on the back end. No way is Pitkanen one of them. I bet he'll sign for four years. If he has a monster year, he's gonna ask for big bucks. No way. Not when you have your own to sign.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 06:02 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

A little perspective on the cap. The 2010-11 cap would have gone up $150,000 if the NHLPA did not vote(holding their noses)to exercise their 5% escalator. The 2009-10 cap would have gone down if the PA did not exercise their 5% bump. It increased $100,000 from $56.7 million to $56.8 million.

The 5% is applied from the mid-point. $16 million gap. $8 million between the upper limit and mid-point and $8 million from the lower limit and the mid-point.

The 2010-11 cap is $59.4 million which means the mid-point was $48.96-$48.95 million. Add 5%. $2.448 million. Add $8 million. $59.4 million.

Without 5%. $56,950,000 range. The NHL always said the cap would increase or decrease by a couple of hundread thousand dollars without the 5%. They were right. The NHL hasn't given any estimates for next season. NHL GM meetings next week. The media will ask Bettman about the cap. The NHL GM's will ask Bettman about the cap.

Two big market US teams in the finals. Strong CDN dollar. Two big factors last season.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 06:20 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I'd be really interested in bringing Kaberle here. Let's say you trade Rozy at the draft, there's the money you need. 15 mil over 3 years. I'd love to bring Markov here, but he would be too much $ for too long, most likely.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The cap has increased thanks to the Canadian dollar which is still strong at 99 cents and 1/3 or 1/4 of the NHL revenues comes from the Canadian teams. That's the #1 reason why the cap increased last season when it was expected to go down. The players exercise their 5% escalator. Then escrow makes up the difference when the players receive more than their negotiated share.

How much longer is this situation going to last? Escrow is going to be a main topic for the PA. Kovalchuk's contract calls for the first two years to have $6 million in salary per year due to escrow. Then the salaries escalate into the $11 million range in the new CBA when Jay Grossman expects escrow to be less when the cap is less.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=337196
For how long can China keep the dollar at such a high level?

The dollar is bound to drop even more.

Last season was in the midst of the worst financial crash in since 1929.

I've asked you before (and maybe I've missed the response?). But -- do you really see situation were 1. the NHLPA and the NHL agrees to cut the escrow by rolling back the cap around 10-20 %, without 2. rolling back the existing contracts with the same amount?

If they cut back the cap and don't roll back the existing contracts -- you get a insane situation. The RFA's/UFA's that year will get screwed tremendously. Like imagine if we last season got 11,4m less to resign our players with??? All teams got 20% less? It would be a circus, nothing else.

The NHLPA have been in this situation before, and the only reasonable thing to do is to rollback the existing contracts. The NHL don't care.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:49 AM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I'd be really interested in bringing Kaberle here. Let's say you trade Rozy at the draft, there's the money you need. 15 mil over 3 years. I'd love to bring Markov here, but he would be too much $ for too long, most likely.
I like Kaberle but it would be a season too late - here's why...

We have Staal and MDZ already and Vtank waiting in the wings on the left side...on the right side, without Rozi we are left with Girardi...and Kaberle is not a RD man at all...so you'd be unbalancing the D again. I like Kaberle, but it would be a bad fit next year...we honestly probably gotta keep Rozi next year for the right side, and after that who knows maybe he signs for less and we keep him around or maybe we go out and spend it on someone else but ultimately we prob wont have any extra RD men next year even if a prospect is ready.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Melrose_Jr.

The potential increase seems optimistic and MOST people here seem to be forgetting about some of the non-roster contracts that the team is on the hook for during the summer.

The way things are going, the only big signings next summer are going to be Dubinsky, Callahan and Anisimov. These guys should easily get raises that eat up the space left behind White and Prospal. It becomes a question of who you can bring in at a Frolov price point + whatever actual increase you end up with.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:26 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Okay so how do we snag Byfuglien from the Thrashers?

There's your bomb from the point on the PP and increased physicality on the back-end and in front of Henke.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote