HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Technical Questions

Old
11-02-2010, 12:46 PM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
i build desktops as a side business, i'll tell you that getting a pc built custom is really the only way to go. I can do it for you, or you can find someone else you're more comfortable with, but that's definitely the only thing i'd recommend.

if you're interested, pm me.
I'd go this route also but if I were someone who knew nothing about comps I'd probably just go based off friend recommendations.

Thing is you really can get amazing deals on pre-built desktops now a days with quality parts too. The game isn't what it used to be when I was a teen where I could build the same comp for like 1000$ cheaper than Futureshop In fact sometimes I see deals on some desktops, I just don't understand how they could be selling it for that cheap given the specs.

Buffaloed of HF found a really godly deal on a beastly Gateway. Lately Gateway seems to be bang for buck for desktops but I've never touched their stuff before and I despise Acer (sister company of theirs)

Honestly I'd check out what's available. Since it's only office, browsing the web etc you could probably just go for a lower end duo core AMD. They're cheap as hell, aren't as good as intel typically but for what you want to do, you really don't need much.

I'd be willing to bet I could find you one for like 400$ that you'd like.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Bud2790

Thing is, if my mom doesn't want to pay for a new desktop (she doesn't use it much at all since she just borrows my sister's laptop), I might just pay for a good one to be built and that way I'll have one for when I move out.

Bud2790 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:11 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I'd go this route also but if I were someone who knew nothing about comps I'd probably just go based off friend recommendations.

Thing is you really can get amazing deals on pre-built desktops now a days with quality parts too. The game isn't what it used to be when I was a teen where I could build the same comp for like 1000$ cheaper than Futureshop In fact sometimes I see deals on some desktops, I just don't understand how they could be selling it for that cheap given the specs.

Buffaloed of HF found a really godly deal on a beastly Gateway. Lately Gateway seems to be bang for buck for desktops but I've never touched their stuff before and I despise Acer (sister company of theirs)

Honestly I'd check out what's available. Since it's only office, browsing the web etc you could probably just go for a lower end duo core AMD. They're cheap as hell, aren't as good as intel typically but for what you want to do, you really don't need much.

I'd be willing to bet I could find you one for like 400$ that you'd like.

I share your hate for acer, but I apply it to all oem manufacturers. They almost always uae terrible parts (right down to capacitors and tiny things like that.) Their cases usually have the airflow of a ballsack in july. Their psu's are bargain bin quality and that can really come back to bite you.

I dont want it to sound like im pushing my own agenda here, but im pretty passionate about this

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:18 PM
neofury*

Quote:
I share your hate for acer, but I apply it to all oem manufacturers. They almost always uae terrible parts (right down to capacitors and tiny things like that.) Their cases usually have the airflow of a ballsack in july. Their psu's are bargain bin quality and that can really come back to bite you.

I dont want it to sound like im pushing my own agenda here, but im pretty passionate about this
Yeah notice how they never say what the PSU even is and if they do all they tell you is the W. Yeah like I give a **** if it's 600W if it's some no name piece of **** that clocks in at like 280W. Only reason I say for him to go with an already built one, it's better than telling him to pirate an OS, albeit a ****** OS comes with it usually but it is for the most part free. That and also he doesn't need it for gaming or anything so even with a **** PSU without upgrading he should be fine. The final nail in the coffin for me is that if it blows he can return it right away or if it dies it will have a factory warranty. I know the parts come with one too but often times its a lot easier to just got to bestbuy and tell them "take this defective piece of **** back" and boom you've got a new working PC hours later.

With parts and having it built for you for sure you can send the part away but might be out of a computer for a while. Of course since it's the factory warranty Bestbuy could just tell you to **** off anyways, but I'm fairly confident you can circumvent that by *****ing until you get your way anyways.

Honestly though for my own rigs I always build my own. The cases have gotten a lot better over the years on prebuilt ones but the PSU's are terrible, the mobos they use half the time are like the worst one imaginable.

Old
11-02-2010, 02:37 PM
vesperal

Before going off to buy new ram, go to this site and check what they recommend for your computer : http://www.4allmemory.com/

RAM is something pretty easy to install inside a computer and you won't really have to troubleshoot it, it work and it doesn't (except if you have faulty ram of course).

If it's not using DDR2 memory, you're often better off with a new computer, old ram is pricey. If it's DDR2, even a modern stick should work and be downgraded to what the motherboard can take. (I'm sure some oem bios won't let you however). Your best bet is to find what you are using right now and buy a matching stick i.e. same speed so that you can use your old with the new one. Mix and match on different speed isn't the best scenario for ram.

vesperal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
hey thanks for the post, it was from a while ago and i ended up finding a few for a dollar a pack at reno depot or home depot or something.
NP, I didn't check the date, the thread had 1 page when I got to it so I assumed it was new :S

Either/or, Addison is the ultimate store for DIY electronics.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Galchenyuk94

@ overlords et all Thanks for your help, but I figured out a way to print. I downloaded the driver that said I needed 512 RAM, saved it on my desktop, put it on a USB key, put it on my laptop, installed it, then connected my printer to my laptop and printed my stuff.

I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

@ vesperal Thanks, I think it's a good idea instead of buying more ram to just buy a new computer. You guys made me remember how cheap computers are nowadays, I'll probably go shopping for a new pc soon.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:27 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperal View Post
Before going off to buy new ram, go to this site and check what they recommend for your computer : http://www.4allmemory.com/

RAM is something pretty easy to install inside a computer and you won't really have to troubleshoot it, it work and it doesn't (except if you have faulty ram of course).

If it's not using DDR2 memory, you're often better off with a new computer, old ram is pricey. If it's DDR2, even a modern stick should work and be downgraded to what the motherboard can take. (I'm sure some oem bios won't let you however). Your best bet is to find what you are using right now and buy a matching stick i.e. same speed so that you can use your old with the new one. Mix and match on different speed isn't the best scenario for ram.
That last part you said for the most part is true but when we're talking a 512mb stick.. I mean he could very well just toss on a 2gig of any kind or just replace it. Anything would be a big improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
@ overlords et all Thanks for your help, but I figured out a way to print. I downloaded the driver that said I needed 512 RAM, saved it on my desktop, put it on a USB key, put it on my laptop, installed it, then connected my printer to my laptop and printed my stuff.

I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

@ vesperal Thanks, I think it's a good idea instead of buying more ram to just buy a new computer. You guys made me remember how cheap computers are nowadays, I'll probably go shopping for a new pc soon.
Good luck with your shopping, if you need some help link us some models you've been looking at.

PS: H10H I DID IT!!! (lol...)

Old
11-03-2010, 12:21 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
As I said earlier in this thread I want to upgrade my iphone to the iphone 4 but I'm confused right now. How far into a 3 year plan do you need to be to upgrade to a new phone INCLUDING if you renew the plan and get the discounted phone rate(from having a contract)?

Edit: I'm with fido.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:05 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Rogers Problem

Okay so...

I need some advice about what to do...

I pre-ordered the Samsung Captivate the 18th, They tell me its back order on the day I should have received it, so I'm like okay, I receive a package in the mail via UPS, and Rogers sends me a ****ing Samsung Wave. Completely different phone worth 30 bucks, where I paid 5 times that for a friggn Phone that they thought would be so clever to slip me another Samsung -HE HE MAYBE THEY WONT NOTICE- friggin idiots.

Okay so I call and they say I have to mail it back, pay the shipping, then when they get it back whenever (Apparently I have to guess when they receive it, because they don't believe I have it) I have to call, and RE-ORDER the phone, which is already out of stock supposedly. I lose my Priority because they were so clever "He he we'll send him a phone and he will no longer be in line for the Captivate", and I'd get it sometime in December. Either that or wait till the 22nd and go buy it in stores myself.

What do I do? I want to call and complain but that 1-888-rogers number is garbage the Customer Service agents are pathetic, and their managers are even worse.

Anyone have any advice? I'm livid right now and I refuse to be steam-rolled like this by their ********.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:18 PM
La Grosse Tendresse
HFBoards Sponsor

So, if I understand, after being screwed by the company, you want to be able to buy again from this company faster. You do not want to have to wait to spend your money on this horrible company.

Best course of action is not to buy from them anymore.

Sure writing an angry letter to the CRTC or the Rogers umbudsman or whatever might get you your phone, but they still win.

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:25 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grosse Tendresse View Post
So, if I understand, after being screwed by the company, you want to be able to buy again from this company faster. You do not want to have to wait to spend your money on this horrible company.

Sure writing an angry letter to the CRTC or the Rogers umbudsman or whatever might get you your phone, but they still win.
I want my bloody phone, They charged me for it, I just want the product at the time I was told, and treated like a customer not a piece of meat. I don't think its that complicated

Old
11-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Habs83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
I want my bloody phone, They charged me for it, I just want the product at the time I was told, and treated like a customer not a piece of meat. I don't think its that complicated
If you have your receipt for the phone you were supposed to get, I would go into a rogers store, and tell them what happened and show your receipt..they may be able to take care of it for you.

Personally, I'd return the one you purchased and haven't received, and return the one they sent you, and tell them to go F themselves and switch companies

Habs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:34 PM
PricePkPatch

Go to the office of consumer protection. That's complete company abuse on their part.

But then again, Rogers are kinda huge dicks. I tried to buy an iPhone from them last year, and they wouldn't let me give them my money.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:44 PM
ScottFC

I don't want to promote other forums but try posting this on Howardsforums.com. It's a cellphone forum and they might be able to help you. Theres a Rogers section on there.

Also, if you go on the rogers site you can find e-mail addresses to complain to someone a little higher up then the people on the phones and their managers. My brother did this and it worked out for him.

If you paid the phone with your credit card i'd call my credit card company and see if it's possible to reverse the charge because you never received the product. I doubt it but you can try.

Good luck!

Last edited by ScottFC: 11-03-2010 at 03:51 PM.
ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:56 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
As I said earlier in this thread I want to upgrade my iphone to the iphone 4 but I'm confused right now. How far into a 3 year plan do you need to be to upgrade to a new phone INCLUDING if you renew the plan and get the discounted phone rate(from having a contract)?

Edit: I'm with fido.
i just asked my sister for you ( she works at fido). She says you have to be atleast within the last 6 months of your contract to get a discount on a phone upgrade (if i understand your question)

Old
11-03-2010, 04:00 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABSolutelyDbest View Post
I don't want to promote other forums but try posting this on Howardsforums.com. It's a cellphone forum and they might be able to help you. Theres a Rogers section on there.

Also, if you go on the rogers site you can find e-mail addresses to complain to someone a little higher up then the people on the phones and their managers. My brother did this and it worked out for him.

If you paid the phone with your credit card i'd call my credit card company and see if it's possible to reverse the charge because you never received the product. I doubt it but you can try.

Good luck!
I've sent 3 emails between Monday, and Today.

I'll check Howards Forum though thanks !

Old
11-03-2010, 04:04 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

you get me, bud, frank and eagle to put our checking up and we go into the rogers headquarters and just SMASH everyone.

you'll see.

Old
11-03-2010, 04:08 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
you get me, bud, frank and eagle to put our checking up and we go into the rogers headquarters and just SMASH everyone.

you'll see.
We'd only take the lives of innocent defenseless mooks who were put on the front desk. the real responsibles are formless, placeless. They are sheer forces of nature incarnating to torment us.

You shall no defeat them by strenght of arm at once. I recommend the services of an Exorcist-Lawyer.

Old
11-03-2010, 04:18 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
We'd only take the lives of innocent defenseless mooks who were put on the front desk. the real responsibles are formless, placeless. They are sheer forces of nature incarnating to torment us.

You shall no defeat them by strenght of arm at once. I recommend the services of an Exorcist-Lawyer.
pfff.

i'll let it slide because you're not on the team, but everyone who knows me knows that exorcist-lawyer is my third occupation.

Old
11-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Call in and threaten to cancel. See what retentions can do to help you.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:26 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
pfff.

i'll let it slide because you're not on the team, but everyone who knows me knows that exorcist-lawyer is my third occupation.
"By the Power of the Bar, I evict you from this Telecom Company!"

You know what? It'd be actually a good movie.

Old
11-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grosse Tendresse View Post

you forgot: I can defenately help you with that...

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

I can provide you with the phone number of Rogers CEO so you can harass him

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Franky Gee

Send the phone back and go buy the Captivate at Future Shop/BB/elsewhere...

Their website is ****ed up. I ordered a phone maybe a month or two ago on Rogers.com and I received the phone like 3-4 weeks later. I just refused the package from the UPS guy and I bought the same damn phone elsewhere (FS). I got my money back.

Overall I may have spent 2 hours on customer service because they couldn't even find my order. Ridiculous...

Franky Gee is offline   Reply With Quote