HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expected to go up 3.5M$-4.5M$

Old
11-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris View Post
Some guy's I'd be interested in...

Kaberle (unrealistic)
Bieksa
Pitkanen
Ehrhoff
Wisniewski
Rivet (back for cheap)
Mark Stuart
Daley (don't see much of him. what's his salary proj. to be next year?)

Basically we have Subban and Spacek locked down. There isn't a huge market for UFA D-men next year. Assuming we re-sign Gorges, that leaves

____ (Hopefully Markov) - Subban
Gorges - _______
Spacek - ______

Do we want to bring back O'Byrne? Picard? Let Carle or Weber step in and see what they can do?

I'd say we sign a guy like Rivet, try and grab one of the higher end younger guys (Pitkanen or Ehrhoff) and then re-sign whichever depth guys they want to keep. Or do we keep Gill?

Markov - Subban
Gorges - Rivet (Gill)
Spacek - ____ (This might be the 2nd pairing but I listed the 2nd as our shutdown pairing. Hopefully a guy like Pitkanen / Bieksa / Ehrhoff)
Then Picard / O'Byrne / Carle / Weber.
It's only been 12 games, but if Spacek does continue to decay on the ice, I fully expect he'd be bought out this summer.

He'll have one year left at 3.8 million, which means two years of cap hit at 1.28 million a year if he were bought out after this season.

That's pretty reasonable, and might be better than carrying him for one year at close to 4 million.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:21 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
His salary still count on the cap even if you buy him.
I know. The "projected" increase in cap space nullifies the negative effect of buying him out.

I would much rather have Picard, Carle or Weber out there.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Captain Gorges

Great ! More cap room just in time to give Kovalev a new contract !

Captain Gorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Darth Joker

After this season, we're probably going to have one or both of the following holes to fill:

1. Top Six winger (which we also need right now)

2. Top 4 D (which we will need after this season, at least)

With that in mind, I see the Habs having two good options...

1) Spend the bulk of their free cap space on an impact player for one of the two holes (Semin or Kaberle), drastically improving the team upfront or on defense, but hoping that a young player can fill the remaining hole.

2) Spend the bulk of their free cap space by filling both holes with excellent support players (Brooks Laich and Ian White, for example).

Which option is the best will probably depend on how our winger and defense prospects progress this year. If none of them are ready for a leading role on the team next year, then I'd prefer to fill both holes than to get the one star player.

As for the other suggestions on this thread, I hope that we don't get Gagne; I really do think that injuries have caught up to the poor guy.

Richards would be an awesome upgrade over Gomez, but you don't bury an established NHLer in the minors to make room for an UFA signing at the exact same position, in the exact same role, with similar or greater cap hit. It just wouldn't look good, and might scare future UFAs from even considering the Habs (i.e. "No way I'm going to Montreal; look at what they did to Gomez once a more attractive option came along!").

If by some miracle we can just do a pure salary dump of Gomez's contract between now and July 1st, 2011 (or maybe deal the salary to fill a team hole elsewhere: a deal like Gomez for Brian Campbell maybe) then maybe we make a play for Richards. That's the only way though.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Richiebottles
Moonemojibro

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
How much $$$ do we have next summer ?

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Richiebottles
Moonemojibro

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
So we could re-sign Hammer (Low price), Markov, Kaberle and possibly Semin . Man our team would be good !

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:27 PM
clarke19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
It's only been 12 games, but if Spacek does continue to decay on the ice, I fully expect he'd be bought out this summer.

He'll have one year left at 3.8 million, which means two years of cap hit at 1.28 million a year if he were bought out after this season.

That's pretty reasonable, and might be better than carrying him for one year at close to 4 million.
Spacek can't be bought out.

Actually I suppose he could be, but we'd still face his entire cap hit.

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
We'd have like 32 million in cap space next season, we can do anything we want lol. That's crazy amounts of money. It would be as though we got rid of Spacek's or Andrei's salary this year.

Next year will be super interesting for the habs that's for sure.
It won't change a thing as all teams will have more money to foolishly spend on lazy, washed-up, overpriced UFA's

Kovalchuk
Drury
Redden
Gomez
Luongo

name 'em

waste of money

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
It won't change a thing as all teams will have more money to foolishly spend on lazy, washed-up, overpriced UFA's

Kovalchuk
Drury
Redden
Gomez
Luongo

name 'em

waste of money
That's right. Added cap space means that the top UFAs are going to get *insane* cash. That's why I don't see any way we can land *two* star players (one is possible, though).

The one good thing here is that our bigger contracts might not look as bad in a year's time or so (some may even look like great bargains).

The one bad thing is that we really need to lock-up Markov before July 1st hits. If he goes on the open market (and plays well the rest of this year), I fully expect him to command upwards of $7 million/year.

Old
11-03-2010, 11:44 PM
KadoCH

Right now we have 24.8M + 3M (conservative) = 27.8

If we resign Andrei K (4), Andrei M (5.7), and Gorges (2.8) that would be about 12.5M

So that leaves only 15.3M

Forwards (estimated available 7.7M)

Andrei - Pleky - Cammy
xxxx - Gomer - Gio
xxxx - Eller - xxxx
Moen - xxxx - xxxx
xxxx

Defense (estimated available 6.3M)
Marky - PK
Gorges - xxxx
Spacek - xxxx
xxxx

Goalie (700k)
Price
xxxxx

Not as much money to go around as you might think when you look at all the holes. Can't spend multi-millions on more than two or three FA's so I wouldn't start dreaming about big signings. Some young guys can fill holes cheap but still not a ton of cash to fill the holes.

KadoCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadoCH View Post
Right now we have 24.8M + 3M (conservative) = 27.8

If we resign Andrei K (4), Andrei M (5.7), and Gorges (2.8) that would be about 12.5M

So that leaves only 15.3M

Forwards (estimated available 7.7M)

Andrei - Pleky - Cammy
xxxx - Gomer - Gio
xxxx - Eller - xxxx
Moen - xxxx - xxxx
xxxx

Defense (estimated available 6.3M)
Marky - PK
Gorges - xxxx
Spacek - xxxx
xxxx

Goalie (700k)
Price
xxxxx

Not as much money to go around as you might think when you look at all the holes. Can't spend multi-millions on more than two or three FA's so I wouldn't start dreaming about big signings. Some young guys can fill holes cheap but still not a ton of cash to fill the holes.
Good work.

I'd say we can bring back most of our 3rd/4th liners at what they're currently making. Halpern's play may make him an exception if he keeps up his excellent play and numbers.

So, that's Laps at 0.9 million, Boyd at 0.65 million, Pyatt at 0.5 million, and Darche at 0.5 million. That fills four of the six holes left up front for 2.55 million. That leaves 5.15 million for the other two holes. Assuming a rookie comes in at league minimum, we'll have about $4.5 million for a Top Six forward.

That should be enough for, say, Brooks Laich (my personal favorite of the non-star players up front).

On defense, I think that 1.5 to 2 million should cover the six and seven defenseman between the two of them. That leaves a little over 4 million. That should be enough for, say, Ian White.

Or, we can pull all the extra cap space from up front and on defense (a little over $8 million), and bring in an impact player like Semin or Kaberle, while trusting a league minimum rookie to do the job for us in one of the remaining spots.

What Gauthier needs to avoid doing is devoting much money to 3rd and 4th liners, and 3rd pairing defensemen. We're going to have to go very inexpensive there in order to afford necessary upgrades in the middle of the roster (2nd line, 2nd defense pairing).

Edit: We should start fielding offers for Pouliot if he can't stick on the 2nd line by the end of the year. Even restricted free agents rarely take paycuts, and Pouliot makes a bit too much if we're going to use him as a marginal player.

Last edited by Darth Joker: 11-04-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old
11-04-2010, 11:19 AM
MarkyMarkov

Here's what I think should happen next year:

Cammalleri (6) - Plekenec (5) - Kostitsyn (3.5)
xxx - Gomez (7.3) - Gionta (5)
Boyd (.7) - Eller (1.2) - Lapierre( .9)
Moen (1.5) - Halpern (1.2) - Pyatt (.5)
Pacioretty (.7)/White (.6)

Trade: Pouliot

Subban (.875) - Markov (6)
Gill (2.2) - Gorges (3.5)
Spacek (3.8) - xxx
Picard (.6)

Price (2.75)
Ramo (.8)

Total: 54 million

Assuming the salary cap goes up to about 63, that leaves is with 9 million to fill a top-six forward and a top 4 defenseman.

Possible options for both:

Defense:

Ehrhoff
Jovanovski
Pitkanen
Kaberle
Phillips
Bieksa
Brewer
Wisniewski
White

Forward:

Semin
Backes
Laich
Leino
Hejduk
Langenbrunner
Gagne
Kovalev

MarkyMarkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Ginu

This summer we have to beef up the defence. We have depth up front with prospects, the back end we're light other than Tinordi. We need at least 2 new guys to complement Markov, Subban, Gorges and Gill. I'd sign those guys before any forwards.

I'd be perfectly fine calling Pacioretty and Palushaj up next year to play with Eller so I feel we're covered there.

I see our top 2 D next year being Markov and Gorges. Markov, Subban and Gorges are too good to be on 3 separate pairings averaging out ice time. I wouldn't even mind Picard with Gill next season but Picard as the 7th D.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:09 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
This summer we have to beef up the defence. We have depth up front with prospects, the back end we're light other than Tinordi. We need at least 2 new guys to complement Markov, Subban, Gorges and Gill. I'd sign those guys before any forwards.

I'd be perfectly fine calling Pacioretty and Palushaj up next year to play with Eller so I feel we're covered there.

I see our top 2 D next year being Markov and Gorges. Markov, Subban and Gorges are too good to be on 3 separate pairings averaging out ice time. I wouldn't even mind Picard with Gill next season but Picard as the 7th D.
Gorges is still a bottom pairing dman imo. He isn't too good to be anywhere. I like him, but he's fine on the 3rd pair and it's exactly where I think he belongs.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
Lockout 2012?

A cap increase is a consequence of revenue increase, players not making more than 57%

Why would they want a lockout? They are still getting 43% of all revenues even when the cap increases. Ironically, an increase in cap space should be seen as a measure of success for the present CBA, meaning it would be ridiculous for them to want to nix the system because OH my god the cap went up to 63 mil, meaning the revenues went up.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote