HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers longtime nemesis the NJ Devils becoming increasingly irrelevant?

Old
11-03-2010, 11:51 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Flyers longtime nemesis the NJ Devils becoming increasingly irrelevant?

Ok so the demise of the Devils seems to be in order. Lamoriello has increasingly looked human. I suspect he has a malignant brain tumor or something because his miscalc with Kovalchuck was completely unlike him and not a typical NJ Devil acquisition although Mogilny was considered an anomaly of sorts. Kovalchuck may still pan out for them but it seems they are just falling apart with all the injuries (recently Brodeur) and their team game on defense looks brutal. It's early but it's not looking good for that team and there is no love lost for them considering all the pain they have caused the Flyers over the years. The Lindros debacle and playoff collapse was probably the most painful Flyers vs Devils episode IMO.

Anyway, considering they are among the worst teams in the league thus far, I'm wondering if they are going to pull a Pitt and get extremely "lucky" by landing a franchise player in the upcoming draft. Is there any once a decade superstars eligible in the upcoming draft? I haven't heard about any phenoms in the Crosby, Malkin, Lemieux mold but it would be typical that a waning rival may get a jump start from some emerging superstar they may be able to draft provided they keep stinking. Just curious....

I'm just hoping they stink for a good number of years..sorry Devils fans out there but even though I despise Pitt there is still a level of dislike of the Devils I will never part with. I will say that I had more of a begrudging respect for Lamoriello and the way he ran that team for so long than I do of Pitt...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:59 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Ok so the demise of the Devils seems to be in order. Lamoriello has increasingly looked human. I suspect he has a malignant brain tumor or something because his miscalc with Kovalchuck was completely unlike him and not a typical NJ Devil acquisition although Mogilny was considered an anomaly of sorts. Kovalchuck may still pan out for them but it seems they are just falling apart with all the injuries (recently Brodeur) and their team game on defense looks brutal. It's early but it's not looking good for that team and there is no love lost for them considering all the pain they have caused the Flyers over the years. The Lindros debacle and playoff collapse was probably the most painful Flyers vs Devils episode IMO.

Anyway, considering they are among the worst teams in the league thus far, I'm wondering if they are going to pull a Pitt and get extremely "lucky" by landing a franchise player in the upcoming draft. Is there any once a decade superstars eligible in the upcoming draft? I haven't heard about any phenoms in the Crosby, Malkin, Lemieux mold but it would be typical that a waning rival may get a jump start from some emerging superstar they may be able to draft provided they keep stinking. Just curious....

I'm just hoping they stink for a good number of years..sorry Devils fans out there but even though I despise Pitt there is still a level of dislike of the Devils I will never part with. I will say that I had more of a begrudging respect for Lamoriello and the way he ran that team for so long than I do of Pitt...
If Anything this seems similar to the 06-07 Flyers situation. Their defense is horrible, and their 100 million dollar super star is under preforming. And on top of that Parise is out for several months and Brodeur's injury severity has yet to be released.

If they do finish dead last I also hope they lose the draft lottery to the ****ing 25th place team and reach the SCF several years later and that player scores the cup winning goal against them.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:08 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
If Anything this seems similar to the 06-07 Flyers situation. Their defense is horrible, and their 100 million dollar super star is under preforming. And on top of that Parise is out for several months and Brodeur's injury severity has yet to be released.

If they do finish dead last I also hope they lose the draft lottery to the ****ing 25th place team and reach the SCF several years later and that player scores the cup winning goal against them.
Good point...it does seem like the debacle Flyers 06-07 year for them. I was also thinking the same thing about them losing the lottery like us and getting beat by the franchise player they could have had!

I remember Holmgren's comment when we lost the lottery to Chicago...."We can't even lose to win."
It was priceless...I'll give him that one. At least it wasn't it is what it is or what are you gonna do!

JVR better pick it up b/c that wound Kane inflicted also won't ever truly heal!

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 11-04-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old
11-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Cleary84

Well that is the new generation of the NHL. Teams like the Pens, Caps, and Hawks are all what they are today because of the draft. I really don't see NJ "tanking", as long as they have Parise, Kovy, Zajac and even Marty at their core they are going to be a dangerous team. Also, they were playing with an AHL defense at the start of this year.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:15 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Yeah it's hard to imagine with the core they have that they will crap the bed this season...one can only hope though...

Old
11-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Cleary84

I've been putting it into this perspective even after last year's playoffs: when I see the Penguins and Rangers logos, I cringe with psychotic hatred. When I see the Devils, I don't really feel it the way I used to in the earlier part of last decade. We've had their number the last 2 seasons but the intensity just isn't there. I guess until they become a threat to us again, then I'll have the same feelings towards them as I do the Pens and Rags.

I'm just hoping Kovy has a terrible season. I hate him more than that team.

Old
11-04-2010, 12:24 AM
Chainsaw

I wake up in the middle of the night, just to hate the New Jersey Devils

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:41 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

they can give us Volchenkov, and we can give them back Meszaros. And I'll be happy as a ****ing clam.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
it's a 6th sense.

"hark! an opportunity to hate NJ!"

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:44 AM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
they can give us Volchenkov, and we can give them back Meszaros. And I'll be happy as a ****ing clam.
Why? Mez has been very solid this year, imo.

Old
11-04-2010, 04:28 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Yeah because mez has really been stinking up the joint...........

Where do these people come from

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 06:01 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Ok so the demise of the Devils seems to be in order.
Bit of an exaggeration there. They've had a really crap first 14 games of the season. If that constitutes their "demise" then every team must be in their "demise" rather frequently.

I guess we were in our "demise" when we were last in the league at one point last year or when we finished last in the league several years ago.

Quote:
They have like Lamoriello has increasingly looked human.
I think Lamiorello could have done better last off-season, but you can't blame him for a lot of what's going wrong so far this season.

Quote:
I suspect he has a malignant brain tumor or something because his miscalc with Kovalchuck was completely unlike him and not a typical NJ Devil acquisition although Mogilny was considered an anomaly of sorts.
Calling it a miscalc 14 games into the contract is totally unfair. I don't see why Kovalchuk should be singled out for sucking when the rest of the team sucks as well, especially when their defense can't move the puck and Kovalchuk is their leading scorer.

Quote:
Anyway, considering they are among the worst teams in the league thus far, I'm wondering if they are going to pull a Pitt and get extremely "lucky" by landing a franchise player in the upcoming draft.
Too early to tell. Buffalo, Edmonton, Anaheim, and to a lesser extent, the Islanders are all really bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary84 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

Meszaros has played well for us, but you're fooling yourself if you think Meszaros is better then Volchenkov (age and potential for injury being ignored of course).

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 06:31 AM
kicksave27

Didn't they loose their first this year and next as part of the Kovy thing?

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 06:34 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
Yup. There's still an extra sense of satisfaction when we beat them. The hate has somewhat lessened for me in the last 2 years since we've beaten them a time or two, but it will always be there.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 06:37 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Didn't they loose their first this year and next as part of the Kovy thing?
Not exactly. The Devils traded their 1st this year to Atlanta in the Kovalchuk deal, and the NHL took away a 1st in a year of their choice within the next 4 (so either 2011, 12, 13, or 14) as punishment for the ridiculous contract.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 06:40 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Yeah it's hard to imagine with the core they have that they will crap the bed this season...one can only hope though...
I wonder if people thought the same about the Flyers in the season we don't speak of.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 06:52 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I would just like to say that in the offseason I said the Devils wouldn't make the playoffs because they lack the depth to compete. Sure they have a great top line and solid second line, but one injury or extended slump and they are toast. Most people on this board, and one Devils fan, seemed to think I was out of my mind for questioning the Devils, especially the depth. It's early so I won't say it yet, but in a couple of weeks, I just may be saying I told you so.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 07:41 AM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
People in the beginning of the year were talking about how the Devils had one of the better defenses in the league. I thought that was highly suspect from the start.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Meszaros has played well for us, but you're fooling yourself if you think Meszaros is better then Volchenkov (age and potential for injury being ignored of course).
Offensively, he is. With our defense right now, I'd rather have Mez. That's just me though.

Old
11-04-2010, 08:17 AM
pelts35.com

IMO it's pretty simple, the team was built based on Martin Brodeur being the best goalie in the game. Now that Brodeur is not an elite goalie, the Devils are a mediocre, at best, hockey team. Further there is no "plan B" for when Brodeur retires as they hardly have any studs waiting in the wings.

Frankly the Kovalchuk signing is a mystery to me. Lou would let "true Devil" players who helped the team win Cups like Neidermeyer, Madden, Gomez, etc walk when it was time for their big payday, yet he signed Kovalchuk, to a ridiculous contract?

As far as I am concerned, the Devils will be irrelevant for the foreseeable future unless they manage to acquire a replacement for Brodeur.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:38 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Devils need to cut the dead weight in guys like Rolston, Zubrus, Salvador, etc

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:44 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary84 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

Been here all along sonny. I love Mez, but for 4 mil a year, I'll take A-Train over Mez any day.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:50 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Also, I wouldnt touch Volchenkov on the length of his deal. His style begs for him to get injured very often

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:59 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I like reading the Devils board to see what they think they will get when they trade these guys. I was on there the other day and they were talking about landing a first + for Langenbrunner. In all likelihood the Devils will probably have to send a draft pick just to get someone to take some of these players. One guy was saying how the Devils are not in a position of weakness and even if they were, "this is isn't fantasy hockey and GMs aren't out to screw each other over." As if a GM would be like, "Look, I know the Devils are in trouble, I'm here to help. Let's make a trade that benefits your team instead of mine." I love naive fans.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Jester

It's 14 games, and they're having serious injury problems at the moment. If we lose our next 2 games, we will be 6 pts (nothing) ahead of the Devs with 68 games to play.

While I said all summer that I didn't fear the Devs much, they'll be a decent enough team when they get all their bodies together and adjust to the new coach. Parise being out 3 months is a killer.

I will also go out on a limb and say Brodeur will not end the year with a .904 SVPCT and a 2.70 GAA.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote