HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes @ Predators ~~ November 3rd, 2010 9:00PM

Old
11-03-2010, 11:29 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Get Cube off the top line, he can't play those minutes and he and Weber have no chemistry, try anyone there that can carry the puck, neither Weber or Boullion can.

Also, ward looked like ass tonight.

Rinne really struggled too.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:30 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
I honestly think we need a trade to shake up the team.
panic much?

Old
11-03-2010, 11:33 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Decent game overall. SK was working hard and so was Hornqvist. Second period Rinne kept going out of the net I was pullin my hair out, flashbacks to Vokoun leaving the net. Sucks to lose, but we shot ourselves in the foot with those periods leading to goals in the third period.

Not long ago we were on top, now we've got 3 L's in a row.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:43 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

sk and 22 actually did look good tonight...

Old
11-03-2010, 11:47 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
I honestly think we need a trade to shake up the team.
We traded our captain not even six months ago.

We just didn't play that well tonight. The defense was bad with the puck, Rinne kept wandering out of position, and I counted at least a half-dozen good scoring chances that completely missed the net. The power play is better, but the penalty kill is all but derelict out there.

There were also two instances in the last sixty seconds that cost us any chance of tying the game up: Franson casually turning the puck over in the neutral zone (allowing Phoenix to eat up clock shooting at the empty net), and Bouillon shooting right into the man in front of him. Bouillon shouldn't even be out there in that situation in the first place. Klein or even Sulzer would be much better suited to that situation.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:48 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
sk and 22 actually did look good tonight...

Yes they did!

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiralyPred View Post
Yes they did!
As did O'reilly

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:58 PM
roseyc

Trotz is always a day late or week late when it comes to offense. Sk has shown in his play that he stepped it up and Trotz's punishment of Dumont is puzzling. Defensively without Suter it shows that we can't compete. Bouillion is fine but not on the top line. Franson has major holes in his defensive game. I thought with all the D in the system that D wouldn't be a problem. The Preds need serious work on their breakaways. What happened in the 3rd period. No scoring and bad penalties and pk. 3 losses in a row and 3 more west coast games to go

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
@TheGoalieGuild Rinne is showing true signs of a perfectionist not able to play perfectly. He just needs to calm down, push "reset" and let puck come to him
http://mobile.twitter.com/thegoalieg...us/29638780078

That sums up my thoughts on Rinne tonight. He was the difference maker and it wasn't a good thing tonight. B2B PP goals against and the crossbar by Sully to start the third was a 3 goal swing and we just couldn't overcome that against Bryzgalov and the Coyotes defense.

I liked the opportunities created tonight by the top three lines. SK with a particularly good game. I thought Goc showed very few signs of rust and Wilson created some quality chances too. What a pass by O'Reilly to spring Hornqvist in the slot late in the third! Bryzgalov got his glove on the shot, Horns didn't simply miss the net.

Bad, bad penalty on Franson leading to the fourth GA. Caused by his lack of speed, but take an angle and eliminate the man as soon as he reaches the puck, don't grab and hold out his stick!!! Brutal giveaway deep in the zone later getting caught again with his lack of speed wheeling the net. Sulzer also had some struggles tonight. We miss Suter bad back there, but the bottom line is guys have got to step up and fill the role.

Overall, a fairly good road game. Scored 3 goals. Had quality and quantity in terms of scoring chances. Just didn't get the goaltending needed and totally shot ourselves in the foot with the third period penalties. Not happy tonight, but saw enough improvement to not hit the panic button...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:16 AM
predfan24

The sky is falling!

Watch out!

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:31 AM
predfan24

I will say I think Weber needs Suter way more than Suter needs Weber.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:27 AM
SChan*

is lindback ever going to play again?

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:33 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 788
We've been outscored 15-6 in the 3rd period/OT. That has to f'ing change. With our light schedule, players shouldn't be gassed. Maybe the d is overworked, but it looks like the whole team doesn't know how to play with the lead late in the game.

Power play sucks too. Broken record.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:51 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I will say I think Weber needs Suter way more than Suter needs Weber.
I wouldn't. When Weber was injured a couple years ago, Suter was invisible. We went on a 6 game losing streak or something like that after he was injured. I think it's fairly safe to say that they rely on each other equally.

Weber looked fine out there to me. You can tell he's toned down his game since he doesn't have a reliable partner.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:55 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears19 View Post
We've been outscored 15-6 in the 3rd period/OT. That has to f'ing change. With our light schedule, players shouldn't be gassed. Maybe the d is overworked, but it looks like the whole team doesn't know how to play with the lead late in the game.

Power play sucks too. Broken record.
Based off of league rankings, the PK is worse. We had the lead. It was the PK that couldn't hold it.

Old
11-04-2010, 05:11 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

When Webs went down a few seasons back it was on his first shift of the first game. We won that game (against Colorado) 4-0. The next game against Dallas we held a shut out until the third. Then we went on the six game losing streak with one OT loss if I recall correctly.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 07:11 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

From a strategical standpoint, I don't understand something and this really bothers me. On a PP, don't you want a right handed shot on the left face off dot and a left handed shot on the right face off dot? The puck has to travel less distance to get to the players wheelhouse, they have the ability to one time it, angles are better, etc. It's the same theory for the points on a PP as well correct, unless you're playing an umbrella with one guy manning the middle of the blue line. So why on earth did I notice more times than not that we had the complete opposite going on with the guys we had on the ice? O'Reilly/Dumont on the left dot/half boards, Ward/Hornqvist on the right dot/half boards.

I have grown to like Trotz and appreciate what he does with what he's given but this PP strategy that he implores is horrendous. He said he would like at the PP and be totally responsible for it. While the first few games we clicked and moved the puck well, the last 7 games or so hardly any success is maddening. It's even more maddening when the strategy being used is flawed and a person with some knowledge of the game can notice these things. The game isn't that hard when you have certain pieces and while missing a guy like Suter is a blow to the team, you still have a guy with a booming shot that I don't hardly see taking it anymore, I see a guy who is very good at standing in front of the net and screening goals and getting garbage goals who doesn't seem to do it with any sort of consistency this year, I see grinders out there playing on the halfboards when your playmakers or guys with good one times should be in those areas. Yeah, we finally had some success on the PP last night but at the same time, the positioning of our players just isn't right at the end of the day and while Hornqvist did net himself one last night, this strategy is not sound by any means.

If someone can explain to me what's going on with the PP I'd sure appreciate it because it's becoming quite a bit of a sore spot with me when I see the same issues year after year and nothing really appears to be getting done about it.

Also, when you have a hot hand like SK like we did last night, why was he not given more minutes? It seemed like for a while I didn't see 74 out there and I'm like, the guy is on fire, get him out there.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 07:44 AM
PredsChik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I wouldn't.
Do I need to move back in to force you to pretend to like Suter again? jk

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
Do I need to move back in to force you to pretend to like Suter again? jk
No no I love Suter! I was mostly just trying to stick up for Weber since he gets bashed often around here.

I meant to tell you, have you seen the ginormous banner of Suter hanging over one of the rinks at Southern Ice? It intimidates me.

Old
11-04-2010, 08:15 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
http://mobile.twitter.com/thegoalieg...us/29638780078

That sums up my thoughts on Rinne tonight. He was the difference maker and it wasn't a good thing tonight. B2B PP goals against and the crossbar by Sully to start the third was a 3 goal swing and we just couldn't overcome that against Bryzgalov and the Coyotes defense.

I liked the opportunities created tonight by the top three lines. SK with a particularly good game. I thought Goc showed very few signs of rust and Wilson created some quality chances too. What a pass by O'Reilly to spring Hornqvist in the slot late in the third! Bryzgalov got his glove on the shot, Horns didn't simply miss the net.

Bad, bad penalty on Franson leading to the fourth GA. Caused by his lack of speed, but take an angle and eliminate the man as soon as he reaches the puck, don't grab and hold out his stick!!! Brutal giveaway deep in the zone later getting caught again with his lack of speed wheeling the net. Sulzer also had some struggles tonight. We miss Suter bad back there, but the bottom line is guys have got to step up and fill the role.

Overall, a fairly good road game. Scored 3 goals. Had quality and quantity in terms of scoring chances. Just didn't get the goaltending needed and totally shot ourselves in the foot with the third period penalties. Not happy tonight, but saw enough improvement to not hit the panic button...
Rinne's achilles heel, from the very start, is those sharp-angle shots from his glove side. He either neglects the post, goes down too early, or just gets completely frozen by the shot. We played well enough to win last night, we just didn't get the goaltending.

The Coyotes actually had 3 or 4 GOLDEN opportunities, particularly in the second period, caused by Rinne overplaying. We were lucky to be in it as long as we were.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:19 AM
PredsChik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
No no I love Suter! I was mostly just trying to stick up for Weber since he gets bashed often around here.

I meant to tell you, have you seen the ginormous banner of Suter hanging over one of the rinks at Southern Ice? It intimidates me.
I was messing with you and no, I'll have to go by there to see it... and offer to buy it... I have a pretty big bare wall in my stairway. lol

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
From a strategical standpoint, I don't understand something and this really bothers me. On a PP, don't you want a right handed shot on the left face off dot and a left handed shot on the right face off dot? The puck has to travel less distance to get to the players wheelhouse, they have the ability to one time it, angles are better, etc. It's the same theory for the points on a PP as well correct, unless you're playing an umbrella with one guy manning the middle of the blue line. So why on earth did I notice more times than not that we had the complete opposite going on with the guys we had on the ice? O'Reilly/Dumont on the left dot/half boards, Ward/Hornqvist on the right dot/half boards.

I have grown to like Trotz and appreciate what he does with what he's given but this PP strategy that he implores is horrendous. He said he would like at the PP and be totally responsible for it. While the first few games we clicked and moved the puck well, the last 7 games or so hardly any success is maddening. It's even more maddening when the strategy being used is flawed and a person with some knowledge of the game can notice these things. The game isn't that hard when you have certain pieces and while missing a guy like Suter is a blow to the team, you still have a guy with a booming shot that I don't hardly see taking it anymore, I see a guy who is very good at standing in front of the net and screening goals and getting garbage goals who doesn't seem to do it with any sort of consistency this year, I see grinders out there playing on the halfboards when your playmakers or guys with good one times should be in those areas. Yeah, we finally had some success on the PP last night but at the same time, the positioning of our players just isn't right at the end of the day and while Hornqvist did net himself one last night, this strategy is not sound by any means.

If someone can explain to me what's going on with the PP I'd sure appreciate it because it's becoming quite a bit of a sore spot with me when I see the same issues year after year and nothing really appears to be getting done about it.

Also, when you have a hot hand like SK like we did last night, why was he not given more minutes? It seemed like for a while I didn't see 74 out there and I'm like, the guy is on fire, get him out there.
I agree with everything you said. Trotz baffles me at times.

Sometimes you'll see Suter and Weber swap places in the middle of the PP to set up the shot. But one advantage off the top of my head for having a righty on the right point is it makes the pass to the half boards much easier. Having a righty on the left side is really only good for the one timer. Passing becomes more difficult on the off side. That's my best guess.

Although, I do think the PP looks better this year. When we actually get set up, it looks ok, but we still have major issues gaining the zone. PP was 20% tonight which is very good. If we go 1 for 5 all year long our PP would be considered highly successful.

Old
11-04-2010, 08:35 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I know you all know I don't like Boullion. I just want your opinion on him now.

IMHO Weber gets out there and tries to do too much when paired with Boullion, trying to cover for him.

I think Boullion is almost as slow as Franson and has a horrible time reading the play and tries to react to everything.

Old
11-04-2010, 09:16 AM
RaiderDoug

I think we just need to get healthy - a healthy Lombardi and Suter can really alter the dynamics of this team.

We're talking probably 2 of our top 5 players on the roster? Take Crosby and Malkin off the Pens and watch them struggle.

That said, some of those goals were a little soft.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:28 AM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
1. and that, folks, is how you go from 1st in the west to 9th.

2. Whats with Tootoo setting up plays and making nice passes?

3. Rinne was a strange bird last night, making amazing saves, and then letting pucks blow through him.

4. A day later and I still cant believe we lost that game

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote