HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill VII

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2010, 10:35 PM
riseandfall9

vCash: 500
You know..I am not really into this whole speculation stuff. But I know for sure that the Kings approached Calgary for Iginla almost identically to the way they approached Colorado about Smyth. Wanted to see if the possibility was their and if they were ready. But it didn't get into anything more then a phone conversation between 2 old friends.

Dean Lombardi since he has been here has always approached GM`s while they or their teams were kinda down. If the Kings can add a guy like Iginla for a good situation as they did with Smyth they will do it. If they cant then they wont. I also know that the Flames don't want to tear everything down and start over again, and if they did need to tear it down and start all over again the first guy that they want to move is Kipper and not Iginla.

Old
11-04-2010, 02:00 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

An interesting bit of news from Helene Elliott's latest article:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,3289303.story
Quote:
Johnson, who is eligible to become a restricted free agent after the season, is his own agent. Asked if he had begun talks on a new contract, he sounded like a veteran agent.

"It's personal stuff that I probably won't talk about," he said.
Hopefully that means that he will be more reasonable that a tough negotiating agent. If the Kings can sign JJ to a contract in the $4M to $4.5M ballpark, which is in range with other similar defensemen.

If you look at the top 20 dmen in the NHL, they all earn $5M or higher. The way JJ is playing this season, it is entirely reasonable and possible to expect him to be a top 20 defenseman in the NHL, thus, a contract paying him less than $5M can be viewed as more than fair market value.

Old
11-04-2010, 02:11 AM
Brophy

If Doughty got 5.5 and Johnson 4.5 dean would be masterful. **** prop 19. still get high!

Old
11-04-2010, 05:35 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Well if he's his own agent he better have a thick skin when they start pointing out his flaws. I don't like it.

Old
11-04-2010, 12:34 PM
no name

Anyone interested in Havlatt? It seems his agent is pushing to get his client traded. Havlatt has been used wrong under the Minny system and his agent is unhappy about it. Havlatt was a perenial 30 goal scorer when healthy and is young. He's also a leader and a tough SOB.

Old
11-04-2010, 12:46 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
Well if he's his own agent he better have a thick skin when they start pointing out his flaws. I don't like it.
. . . or attacking his alma mater.

Old
11-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Haik

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Anyone interested in Havlatt? It seems his agent is pushing to get his client traded. Havlatt has been used wrong under the Minny system and his agent is unhappy about it. Havlatt was a perenial 30 goal scorer when healthy and is young. He's also a leader and a tough SOB.
$5m cap hit for the next 5 years. He's hit 31 goals once in his career and has a couple of 20+ goal campaigns. I've always liked watching him play but much like Frolov, he leaves you wanting more. I don't see it as a right fit.

Old
11-04-2010, 12:48 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

He's a right wing and we already have Williams (who I currently wouldn't mind offering an extention), Brown and Simmonds. Maybe if Brown can move to LW but I'm not sure how effective his game is on the left.

Old
11-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Havlat's one of my favorite players, but is another RW something the Kings need right now? Not sure I'd call him a perennial 30 goal scorer either, he's only done that one in his career.

Minnesota probably has designs on contending for a playoff spot this season and they're not exactly drowning in top-6 forwards right now. So they'd likely want an NHL body coming back. Not sure I'd want to disrupt the Kings' chemistry right now even if there is a bit of a void on Kopitar's LW.

Old
11-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

With the MASH squad the Kings already have, there is no chance in hell I'd take a chance with Havlat. Plus, why is his agent acting like his mom and speaking up in front of all the kids? He is embarrassing him. He might be a $5m player when he is healthy but that is just it, he rarely is. I think he has played one full season in his career if I'm not mistaken. His agent should **** and let the coach do the coaching. Be thankful somebody actually paid that guy $30m on a long term deal in the first place.

Old
11-04-2010, 01:29 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
An interesting bit of news from Helene Elliott's latest article:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,3289303.story

Hopefully that means that he will be more reasonable that a tough negotiating agent. If the Kings can sign JJ to a contract in the $4M to $4.5M ballpark, which is in range with other similar defensemen.

If you look at the top 20 dmen in the NHL, they all earn $5M or higher. The way JJ is playing this season, it is entirely reasonable and possible to expect him to be a top 20 defenseman in the NHL, thus, a contract paying him less than $5M can be viewed as more than fair market value.
I guess I could see paying Jack Johnson Giordano-type money if he signed a similar length contract. He isn't in Weber's league though, so I think something right around $4M is fair. He needs to be more consistent, but I think he can do it. Our relatively cheap goalie tandem for the next 3 years is a great luxury to have when it comes to our cap.

Old
11-04-2010, 01:41 PM
rockinghockey

Sounds like the Kings need a RW, what player would you guys want that would fit into your system. What do you guys have to trade.

Old
11-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Sounds like the Kings need a RW, what player would you guys want that would fit into your system. What do you guys have to trade.
What. Where did you get that the Kings need a RW?

Old
11-04-2010, 01:54 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I guess I could see paying Jack Johnson Giordano-type money if he signed a similar length contract. He isn't in Weber's league though, so I think something right around $4M is fair. He needs to be more consistent, but I think he can do it. Our relatively cheap goalie tandem for the next 3 years is a great luxury to have when it comes to our cap.

several posters have barely recovered from the stent put in after the coronary they had when Brad Stuart got $3.5 million.

Old
11-04-2010, 02:15 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
several posters have barely recovered from the stent put in after the coronary they had when Brad Stuart got $3.5 million.
Stuart not a bad defenseman on an awful team led by a captain that definitely sucked. I don't think this group will allow any passengers and I don't think Jack wants to be one. I know we would be paying a little for potential, but I think you agree it is a calculated risk where the odds are in the Kings' favor.

Old
11-04-2010, 02:30 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Stuart not a bad defenseman on an awful team led by a captain that definitely sucked. I don't think this group will allow any passengers and I don't think Jack wants to be one. I know we would be paying a little for potential, but I think you agree it is a calculated risk where the odds are in the Kings' favor.

i think Stuart was a lot better than people gave him credit for. i also think many people are way too eager to mulliganize certain players over others for whatever reason. Stuart, already with a decent reputation, was either the best or second best defenseman for Calgary in the playoffs the year prior to coming here, comes here - a bad team with wonky leadership, is okay overall and draws a ton of ire... which was further cemented when he didn't come back to L.A. after being dealt to Detroit... where again, was VERY good in their cup run.

but what remains unfortunately, is a lot of blah frah without any context, and lingering memories of a poor game 7 against Pittsburgh in the following finals... which was perhaps the worst game i have ever seen him play.

veering back now, as much as i love to punish Johnson and am usually one of the first in line to do so, i wouldn't think about dealing him for anything outside of a homerun swap (an example being a equally beneficial Forward for Defenseman deal) and would strongly consider paying him that 'potential' money

i don't think i'd have too much of an issue with $3.5 Million or so, but i may be a little iffy on $4 or more million... i like Giordano plenty (especially because he completely OWNS Dustin Brown), but i think he'll be paid too much.

Old
11-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
?????????????

All posters mentiones we DON'T need a right wing.

What we need desperatly is s left wing sniper and you don't get these
guys in a trade. Our only chance is UFA or RFA

Old
11-04-2010, 04:03 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
i think Stuart was a lot better than people gave him credit for. i also think many people are way too eager to mulliganize certain players over others for whatever reason. Stuart, already with a decent reputation, was either the best or second best defenseman for Calgary in the playoffs the year prior to coming here, comes here - a bad team with wonky leadership, is okay overall and draws a ton of ire... which was further cemented when he didn't come back to L.A. after being dealt to Detroit... where again, was VERY good in their cup run.

but what remains unfortunately, is a lot of blah frah without any context, and lingering memories of a poor game 7 against Pittsburgh in the following finals... which was perhaps the worst game i have ever seen him play.

veering back now, as much as i love to punish Johnson and am usually one of the first in line to do so, i wouldn't think about dealing him for anything outside of a homerun swap (an example being a equally beneficial Forward for Defenseman deal) and would strongly consider paying him that 'potential' money

i don't think i'd have too much of an issue with $3.5 Million or so, but i may be a little iffy on $4 or more million... i like Giordano plenty (especially because he completely OWNS Dustin Brown), but i think he'll be paid too much.
I am right there with you in line when it comes to being critical of Johnson, but he is getting better. I agree with you on Stuart. With the Kings the physical tools and that part of his game didn't seem to be lacking, but his head did go on vacation too frequently. He was fine with Detroit.

Another thing to consider in our little Stuart/Johnson comparison. As critical as some people were about the amount Stuart was paid, it was still a very movable contract at the trade deadline.

Giordano has impressed me immensely. He does own Brown. There aren't many players in this league that when Brown hits them don't go down, or when they hit Brown they don't feel much effect. Giordano is one of those guys. Every time he and Brown come together it seems Brown is picking himself up as Giordano skates away.

Old
11-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Let's see, Brown, Williams & Simmonds as the top 3 right wingers? Yeah, I don't think the Kings need a right winger.

Old
11-04-2010, 05:19 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Let's see, Brown, Williams & Simmonds as the top 3 right wingers? Yeah, I don't think the Kings need a right winger.
He probably got that from me proposing the pick up of Havlatt. I did so because I'm certain Havlatt can swithc over to LW. He's played LW before.

Old
11-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Youngblood93

I'd be interested in Havlat. IMO the Kings may have depth at RW but they don't have a legit 1st line RW or LW for that matter.

Brown and Williams are 2nd line RWs
Simmonds is a 3rd line RW

Old
11-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Youngblood93

Quote:
He probably got that from me proposing the pick up of Havlatt. I did so because I'm certain Havlatt can swithc over to LW. He's played LW before.
If the Kings were to pick up Havlat and move him to the LW on Kopi's line, who would you like to see on the RW? Brown or Williams?

Old
11-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
The next problem is what would you give up for Havlat? Right now, I'd almost be certain that Minnesota would want a top-6 wing coming back. That might change when the trade deadline comes up, but I doubt they'd deal him for picks/prospects right now.

Old
11-04-2010, 09:00 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
The next problem is what would you give up for Havlat? Right now, I'd almost be certain that Minnesota would want a top-6 wing coming back. That might change when the trade deadline comes up, but I doubt they'd deal him for picks/prospects right now.
Considering the fact that Havlat is not working out and he's locked up for 5 more years I have a hunch that they don't want to be tied down to him. I think they'd take picks and prospects if they get to the point that Havlat's agent is attempting to get to. I'd give up Thomas Hickey and a third round pick.

Old
11-04-2010, 09:04 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngblood93 View Post
If the Kings were to pick up Havlat and move him to the LW on Kopi's line, who would you like to see on the RW? Brown or Williams?
Probably Williams. Brown has the puck on his stick too much to compliment the other two.

Closed Thread