HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Max Pac wants to stay in Hamilton all season long

Old
11-04-2010, 07:42 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 500
way to have balls and stand up for yourself Max!
I commend you for that!

He is probably right, let him develop more. He will just get 5 minutes a game of ice time in Montreal anyways

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Martin doesn't know how to handle the kids. He's a career coach and wants to win, he wants guys that are gonna be ready to go when he puts them on the ice. He seems like the kind of guy that has zero patience. I guess that is why he gravitates around guys like Pyatt more because even though he puts him in the stands sometime, Pyatt may not be the most talented but even if he'a young, he knows what to do and go all out. He almost acts like a young vet. While more talented ones like Eller and Pouliot needs more grooming.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky Gee View Post
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/309224.html

Kind of interesting...

Highlights:

"I want to play in Hamilton all season long. Last year, nothing worked for me. This year, the coach does everything to help me"

"In Montreal, when I made mistakes, I ended up on the fourth line. It affected me. It's the opposite in Hamilton."

More here (in french): http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/608456/posts/94286
So far this year his development has followed the path I was asking and hoping for in the off season.

He's started the year in the AHL, gotten tons of ice time and seems to have regained his confidence offensively, 3-9-12 in 10 games(including 4 points the last 2 games). Hopefully he can improve his shot/realease and learn to drive the net more, he could develop into a younger, faster, more skilled version of Darche.

I wouldn't be against calling him up in the second half if he keeps playing at this level and improving...however, I hope they don't see him as a quick fix to the Gio-Gomez struggles, first let's get those 2 playing well and try Pouliot, Eller and Boyd for extended periods. Calling him up too quick would lead to the same confidence issues that plagued him last year and late in 08-09.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Surprised by the reactions here. I don't like these comments at all. He could have worded things much differently, but sniping at JM doesn't put him in a positive light.

He wasn't and isn't ready for the NHL. No brain and was getting hammered to the ice constantly.

He has potential if he works hard and fills out and works on his balance, but I don't like this attitude at all. I don't see him wearing the CH unless he turns that around quickly.
He should have been in the AHL or NCAA the last 2 years, he wasn't NHL ready, not just JM's fault, Gainey and co rushed him like they did with Price.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:58 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

I don't know if I like his attitude or not. So what happens if he's called up? Is he going to wilt as soon as he makes a mistake and is put on the fourth line? I would think you'd figure out the mistake(s) and bust your butt to correct it.

I don't know - sounds like he wants to start at the top and stay there without paying dues. Stay in Hamilton if that's your attitude. Maybe you'll learn to stay on your feet instead of going into the end boards.

Making those sort of comments public may get him a ride out of town. To me it takes more guts to try to rectify your game as opposed to calling out your former/future coach.

If you want to learn from anybody Max - maybe try Plekie.

I don't know - I guess I figured it was a privilege and opportunity to be called up by the Montreal Canadiens.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I don't know if I like his attitude or not. So what happens if he's called up? Is he going to wilt as soon as he makes a mistake and is put on the fourth line? I would think you'd figure out the mistake(s) and bust your butt to correct it.

I don't know - sounds like he wants to start at the top and stay there without paying dues. Stay in Hamilton if that's your attitude. Maybe you'll learn to stay on your feet instead of going into the end boards.

Making those sort of comments public may get him a ride out of town. To me it takes more guts to try to rectify your game as opposed to calling out your former/future coach.

If you want to learn from anybody Max - maybe try Plekie.

I don't know - I guess I figured it was a privilege and opportunity to be called up by the Montreal Canadiens.

That is about the dumbest opinion i have ever read on HF. He wants to stay in Hamilton as long as possible to develop his offensive game so that he can be a better player when he comes back, which is possibly the best attitude a player like him could have. His goal is still to make the NHL!!! Just look salary wise, i think he would much rather earn 850K on a 3rd line then then 35K playing on the 1st line in Hamilton.

The day he does get called up, i really hope Martin is smart enough to put him on Gomez's line, he has the size and speed to bring something new to the line.

Tiny question to Bulldogs followers, does he look more balanced on his skates this season? Or stronger on the boards? thanks.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:31 AM
neofury*

Max Pac will find his game, I just worry he'll never be really much of a shooter, if he turns out to have Gomez type potential though I guess I can't complain.

Pulashaj though... that kid appears to be something real special.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:36 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Max Pac will find his game, I just worry he'll never be really much of a shooter, if he turns out to have Gomez type potential though I guess I can't complain.

Pulashaj though... that kid appears to be something real special.
Many look special in the AHL. Lets wait and see with Pulashaj...man that name spelling is killing me
IMO from the little I saw of him, he lack upper body strength and endurance. Good vision, speed and skill set that's for sure.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky Gee View Post
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/309224.html

Kind of interesting...

Highlights:

"I want to play in Hamilton all season long. Last year, nothing worked for me. This year, the coach does everything to help me"

"In Montreal, when I made mistakes, I ended up on the fourth line. It affected me. It's the opposite in Hamilton."

More here (in french): http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/608456/posts/94286

Its all about self-confidence!!! Benching a player in the NHL or demoting him to the 4th line kills all confidence they had....where if you force a player to play in the AHL for 3-5 years, they experience EVERYTHING and are used to it by the time they get to the NHL.

Thats why its bad to rush players that aren't NHL ready!!! And its another reason Eller should be playing in Hamilton right now. He's not ready....so send him down, call up White or Maxwell and give them their due. They've duked it out in the minors for years now....and never got a real chance to play in the NHL.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:43 AM
canadian_man_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
JM has an excellent track record with kids. Pacioretty clearly was not ready last year. He can't even stay on his feet.

I would have preferred a grudging comment like 'I thought I did everything asked of me, and I still have things to work on. I'll be working my butt off in Hamilton this year and if I get called up, I'll be ready.'

You don't take a backhanded shot at your future coach. Makes me wonder about his intelligence. His play isn't the cleverest as it is. That's the first thing I thought about him when I saw his pre-draft video as well. Not the brightest player.

I don't think he understands what fans in Montreal expect. I don't care if this kid makes the lineup or not. I want a Cup. He better be down there doing everything he can to fix his game and then building his body up in the offseason. What does he think he deserves that he wasn't given in terms of ice time? Gimme a break.
Of course all we're getting are the "highlights" of the article, but, what I read into it was the realization of a young player that being in a lower league allows him to work on his game(as well as confidence) because he gets the ice time he needs to develop. He wants to stay there and work on his game. Doesn't look at all like he thinks he deserves anything really.
You want a Cup....so do I and Max Pac does as well. He just realizes that his game will improve more playing big minutes in the AHL then short minutes in the NHL as well as sitting out some games in the press box. Sounds like a mature attitude of a young guy that wants to do his best.

canadian_man_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Erik Estrada
@Denis.Coderre

What gets me with JM is the extreme discrepancy between his neverending patience with vets and his chronic impatience with young players. He'll turn a blind eye to 10 turnovers by Gomez, but he'll bench or demote Eller or Pouliot for having an indirect remote responsibility in a goal against.

MaxPac will progress alot more in Hamilton.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:06 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Wow

Good for Max Pac

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Coco Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
What gets me with JM is the extreme discrepancy between his neverending patience with vets and his chronic impatience with young players. He'll turn a blind eye to 10 turnovers by Gomez, but he'll bench or demote Eller or Pouliot for having an indirect remote responsibility in a goal against.

MaxPac will progress alot more in Hamilton.
Gomez is still a +1 while Eller is actually -3. Gomez plays more minutes and against "top lines" so more chances of being scored against when he's on the ice.

Few years ago Pat Burns put Joe Thornton on a 4th line. And in the eye of many people he's one of the best who ever coached in the NHL. Not comparing Eller to Thornton, but kids need to learn and go 1 step at the time.

Give some break to Eller. He's not comfortable playing on wings, I think it's clear. Then why put him in a position where he can not succeed and where he would have "pressure" (negative pressure I should say) to produce and be the "spark" for two vets?

Things are not working for Gomez/Gionta right now, but it's not because they're not trying or they don't care. They do care and they do try.

Coco Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:08 AM
holyhabs87

He is live on the Team990 right now.

Says leaving Michigan when he did was a great decision. People get too comfortable in their second year and bad habits start to develop in college.

Felt his decision making was poor in his first stint with the Habs. The game is much faster in the NHL. If he can make plays in a league that is a bit slower, it will help build his confidence and help him make smarter decisions when he makes the NHL.

He just realized last year that he always seemed to be in a vulnerable position to get hit and said it really has not been the case for him in his career or even this year in Hamilton. Said the coaches told him to just put his head down and drive to the net. He sees guys like Cammy slow the game down to make a play and wants to insert that aspect into his game.

When he was sent down this year, the coaching staff did not tell him to improve or work on anything like previous years.

He prefers the current coaches in Hamilton as opposed to Boucher because they give him more freedom and it allows him to learn from his own mistakes. He feels like he is really developping his game right now because they coaches show confidence in him.

He felt like he actually regressed last year and everytime he was punished for a mistake it made him feel even worse and that he could not do anything right.

He says that playing in the NHL so early on in his career has him better prepared for his next stint with the Habs since he knows what to expect. He thinks he will be more prepared to help the club right away when he gets his chance.

He thinks he will be a top 6 player in the future and feels like he is one right know as his confidence is very high. If he makes a mistake he does not want to get sent down to the fourth but rather have the coaches show some confidence in him.

He would be happy to help out the Habs this year and get plugged into a top 6 role since the Habs are looking for a winger for Gomez and Gionta. He goes on to say that if it is the same situation as last year where he will get put on a lower line for making a mistake than he would rather stay in Hamilton because it won't help his progression. He is a top 6 forward and the best way to develop as a top 6 forward is to play in a top 6 role whether it be in the AHL or NHL.

He does feel like he can develop more in a top 6 role in the NHL.

He says he was always in the doghouse when he made a mistake last year and that really hurt his confidence. Goes on to compliment Carbo..when he was first called up with Carbo, he was not punished for every mistake and when things got tough, Guy told him to just play his game and showed him some confidence.

Doesn't sound like he is a fan of Martin's coaching style. Love the honesty.

Last edited by holyhabs87: 11-04-2010 at 10:53 AM.
holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:11 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
That is about the dumbest opinion i have ever read on HF. He wants to stay in Hamilton as long as possible to develop his offensive game so that he can be a better player when he comes back, which is possibly the best attitude a player like him could have. His goal is still to make the NHL!!! Just look salary wise, i think he would much rather earn 850K on a 3rd line then then 35K playing on the 1st line in Hamilton.

The day he does get called up, i really hope Martin is smart enough to put him on Gomez's line, he has the size and speed to bring something new to the line.

Tiny question to Bulldogs followers, does he look more balanced on his skates this season? Or stronger on the boards? thanks.
I started to type a reply and then saw your handle.

<shrug>

Scratch him off the list JM - he doesn't want to play for the big club. Geez......most athletes (any sport) seem to be elated to join the big club. When does think he's going to be ready? What if he's called up and still isn't?

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:14 AM
number 11

better to play top 6 in hamilton until he's ready to play top 6 here. he would get 4 minutes a game on the 4th line if he got called up.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:28 AM
JackZap

Man he really ripped on JM on Marinaro...lol

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:32 AM
neofury*

I think after xmas I might start paying for Bulldogs games on off nights, then give my tidbits on "the dawgs".

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:39 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
Man he really ripped on JM on Marinaro...lol
Who is he?

Old
11-04-2010, 10:43 AM
TinordiandSubban

Patches seems to be on the ice all the time with the 'Dogs and always making things happen. In that third period last night the two top lines were the only ones being used and they were playing a really high tempo. Credit to the kid's stamina and fitness.

With his speed and size and vision he could be a perfect fit with Gomez and Gionta. But then where does Pouliot go?

Listening to the 'Dogs last night was much better than watching Habs lose on Tuesday.

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:44 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Who is he?

MaxPac. Basically saying that it didn't help when JM would drop him to the 4th line after he made a mistake. He had no confidence last year because no one would live with his mistakes. Didn't agree that being demoted to a 4th line was the answer. Same sort of stuff that Latendresse said. He actually praised Carbo.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:46 AM
TheBuriedHab

Good hopefully he dominates in the ahl this year. He just wasn't ready for the nhl, it wasn't Martin's fault.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Newhabfan

According to François Gagnon this morning on team 990 - Max Pac said last year that the level of the AHL is lower than in the American College. And he was not popular among team mates in Montreal and Hamilton so he might try to redeem stuff...

For what this is worth...that is - not that much.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:02 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
MaxPac. Basically saying that it didn't help when JM would drop him to the 4th line after he made a mistake. He had no confidence last year because no one would live with his mistakes. Didn't agree that being demoted to a 4th line was the answer. Same sort of stuff that Latendresse said. He actually praised Carbo.
What's this..."basically saying"?

I'm thinking that they are putting words in his mouth.

Old
11-04-2010, 11:02 AM
holyhabs87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
According to François Gagnon this morning on team 990 - Max Pac said last year that the level of the AHL is lower than in the American College. And he was not popular among team mates in Montreal and Hamilton so he might try to redeem stuff...

For what this is worth...that is - not that much.
I don't believe he said he was not popular with his teammates. Gagnon said his teammates were not a fan of his comments.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Bohemian93

Heard him interviewed on The Team 990 this morning. Basically he said if he's given a chance or oppurtunity to be an impact player on the Habs he'd rather just play a top 2 role in Hamilton all year. He's not completely FOR playing in Hamilton all year because if he gets a good role on the Habs(Ex:play with Gionta and Gomez as which he stated) then he'd be more than happy to be brought up to the Habs this season. He mentioned he doesnt believe something like that like that will ever happen and feels that he was able to get his chance and improve under Carbo, but doesnt expect it to be like that with Martin.

Bohemian93 is offline   Reply With Quote