HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre LeBrun spoke with Slats

Old
11-04-2010, 07:10 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Pierre LeBrun spoke with Slats

Pierre LeBrun was asked a question in his chat yesterday about the Rangers.

Quote:
Bryan (New York City)

Is it possible Sather finally built a gritty, hardworking team? How about some love for the blue collar blueshirts?

Pierre LeBrun (4:39 PM)

Funny you should ask, check out my Rangers blog tomorrow. I interviewed Sather today for it... Hint: nice to see some homegrown Rangers players really being the difference-makers on this team right now
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...-pierre-lebrun

Tomorrow is today.

LeBrun posts the blog here

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

LeBrun chat with Sather

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-making-impact

"It takes time for these kids to develop. The problem with free agents is, if you don't have kids that are ready to play, you have to fill the holes with somebody. I don't think the market in New York is a place where people are patient, so you try to build from within and build from without at the same time, all the while not giving up your draft picks and not trying to restrict the development of the players."

edit: my bad didn't see earlier thread

Last edited by Stugots: 11-04-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:40 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Interesting to read Slats mention Horak and Hagelin.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Vitto79

read that Gaborik, Prospal and Drury joined the Rangers on their road trip. they must be close to practicing and slowly getting back over the next month

Me likely. Frolov, Prospal, Gaborik should be a unit...........Dubi, Ani, Cally of course............I think Drury with Avery and Fedotenko.......then Boogard, Boyle, Prust...I think EC is the odd man out when everyone is healthy

White to the minors

things are looking up!

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-making-impact

"It takes time for these kids to develop. The problem with free agents is, if you don't have kids that are ready to play, you have to fill the holes with somebody. I don't think the market in New York is a place where people are patient, so you try to build from within and build from without at the same time, all the while not giving up your draft picks and not trying to restrict the development of the players."

edit: my bad didn't see earlier thread
and all those issues the Rangers had in the past were all his fault....

If u dont have the kids..your doing a terrible job of drafting...until we got Gordie, this Organization was lost...I would lock him up for as long as he wants...same for Groton.

I think Ranger fans would take a few years of a terrible team if it meant we would get better...isnt that better than have a medicore team and middle of the pack draft picks.

Slats has been much better the last two years but the first 8 were horrible...he should not be viewed as any sort of savior.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:52 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
read that Gaborik, Prospal and Drury joined the Rangers on their road trip. they must be close to practicing and slowly getting back over the next month

Me likely. Frolov, Prospal, Gaborik should be a unit...........Dubi, Ani, Cally of course............I think Drury with Avery and Fedotenko.......then Boogard, Boyle, Prust...I think EC is the odd man out when everyone is healthy

White to the minors

things are looking up!
Very much so. Touch up a little on D and if you can , however not urgent at the moment; down the middle.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:57 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
and all those issues the Rangers had in the past were all his fault....

If u dont have the kids..your doing a terrible job of drafting...until we got Gordie, this Organization was lost...I would lock him up for as long as he wants...same for Groton.

I think Ranger fans would take a few years of a terrible team if it meant we would get better...isnt that better than have a medicore team and middle of the pack draft picks.

Slats has been much better the last two years but the first 8 were horrible...he should not be viewed as any sort of savior.
He shouldn't be considered as anything yet. He's made plenty of boneheaded decisions and has been the GM of a team who not too long ago made horrible draft choices. He has also been weak at managing his assets.

Took long enough to have players like Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Staal , Lundy etc.

Now we watch and see how this franchise develops together. How the foundation which includes many of the names I mentioned above start to click. Then we can start giving some credit to Sather. However, not so passionately b/c it took way too long. A team like Philly was able to rebuild in 1 off-season. It has taken Sather years to figure out strong drafting is the way to go especially in a cap era; followed by free agency/trades as a tool to fill holes and put final pieces together.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Interesting to read Slats mention Horak and Hagelin.
I noticed that, too (though it was Clark, not Slats), especailly Horak.

Every time I read something about Horak, especially from Management, they are saying good things about him, but we almost never discuss him on these boards. Do we actually have a prospect who's not over hyped?

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:00 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Nice to see Sather say the same exact thing I've been saying.

They've had a plan to have a young team since the lockout, it takes time to both fill the system with the right players worth keeping, and for those player to develop.

The high priced vets were stop gaps.

And, he also mentions what I've been saying, that they're not done yet, there are more guys coming up that they're counting on. Kreider, Werek, McDonagh, Hagelin, Thomas, Horak.

They're not going to add anymore high priced players. No Richards, no Lecavalier. They can't. Its not economically possible. And the CBA expires soon, and the threat of another work stoppage.

Its going to be a homegrown team with some short-term vets sprinkled in spots that couldn't yet be filled from within.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:02 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I noticed that, too (though it was Clark, not Slats), especailly Horak.

Every time I read something about Horak, especially from Management, they are saying good things about him, but we almost never discuss him on these boards. Do we actually have a prospect who's not over hyped?
We discuss him in the prospect thread nonstop.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:03 PM
clemsonRanger

Quote:

White to the minors

things are looking up!
I would put boyle on the thrid, and drury on the forth line IMO

clemsonRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1600
Quote:

White to the minors

things are looking up!
How about Stepan?

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:11 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
We discuss him in the prospect thread nonstop.
Do we know why he was taken 5th round or what's so special about him as a player?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:22 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Do we know why he was taken 5th round or what's so special about him as a player?
he was drafted out of the czech republic i believe. that junior "program" has suffered in recent years and NHL teams might be hesitant to take a czech high if hes not a super talent...just me speculating though.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
How about Stepan?
I think he is going down when bodies are back. White is the first casualty

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
The high priced vets were stop gaps.
Scott Gomez - 7 Years
Chris Drury - 5 Years
Wade Redden - 6 Years

Stop gaps? Uh...not quite. Straka, Nylander, Rucinsky, Rucchin, Naslund were stop gaps. Gomez & Co. not so much. They are/were strategic moves that Sather made to build his team around. They were foolish and he shouldn't get a free pass because he's managed to make 2 of them disappear. Infact, if he had so much faith in the Callahan's, Dubinsky's, etc. of his prospect pool then he wouldn't of handed out these long term crippling contracts in the first place.

Now, He MAY have learned his lesson with regards to building a team around the draft and minimizing the use of UFA's, but to pretend like this has always been the plan is just wrong.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonRanger View Post
I would put boyle on the thrid, and drury on the forth line IMO
agreed

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Honestly I don't think this is really true. Most fans of any team get angry when the team sucks, and if it's because a bunch of kids are playing and trying to learn the NHL, it goes from "so and so is an overpriced free agent and sucks" to "so and so is a bust draft pick and sucks"

We see a lot of that already anyways...people willing to write off players like Dubinsky or trade him as soon as possible. Fans DON'T have much patience. We want to watch a winning team and to see great players out there. Taking time to develop players is a long process

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Horak has played pretty well this year so far, but he plays for Chilliwack, which I'm sure didn't hurt his chances of getting named with a much higher potential prospect like Kreider.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:00 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Horak has played pretty well this year so far, but he plays for Chilliwack, which I'm sure didn't hurt his chances of getting named with a much higher potential prospect like Kreider.
He's going to crush his production from the previous season if he stays healthy.... Nice to see improvement.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Honestly I don't think this is really true. Most fans of any team get angry when the team sucks, and if it's because a bunch of kids are playing and trying to learn the NHL, it goes from "so and so is an overpriced free agent and sucks" to "so and so is a bust draft pick and sucks"

We see a lot of that already anyways...people willing to write off players like Dubinsky or trade him as soon as possible. Fans DON'T have much patience. We want to watch a winning team and to see great players out there. Taking time to develop players is a long process
Agreed....but bringing in medicore talent like Nedved, Lindross and the like is more painful to watch than a kid busting his hump and learning and growing...there is no booing of MDZ...Rozy, sure...he makes 5 million a year and has played 8 years in the league..just making a point...Rozy has been much better but I would still move him if I could.

The only trade prospal I ever made was Cally for James Neal and after watching Cally put his body on the line every shift...i would be hard pressed to trade Cally for almost anyone...but I am not trading Cally for Brad Richards, which the majority of the people on this board would do...

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:40 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Agreed....but bringing in medicore talent like Nedved, Lindross and the like is more painful to watch than a kid busting his hump and learning and growing...there is no booing of MDZ...Rozy, sure...he makes 5 million a year and has played 8 years in the league..just making a point...Rozy has been much better but I would still move him if I could.

The only trade prospal I ever made was Cally for James Neal and after watching Cally put his body on the line every shift...i would be hard pressed to trade Cally for almost anyone...but I am not trading Cally for Brad Richards, which the majority of the people on this board would do...
Really? Would they? I wouldn't. Cally is the heart and soul of this team. We trade him and we lose a bit of ourselves.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Levitate

Quote:

Was Nedved a Sather signing or Smith? I can't even remember these days...felt like he was around when Sather took over, and he used to be a pretty damn good player. Problem was that he was asked to be a 1st line center when he was really more of a support scoring, 2nd line guy.

Lindros also owned for awhile but obviously was so injury prone that he concussed himself out of usefulness.

At any rate, not totally defending those moves either, but I think you'd have to realize that the Rangers had almost zero young talent at the time Sather took over and if the team was going to tank to get high draft picks it would have been watching a team of ****** NHLers, castoffs from other teams, skating around and losing badly every night and the fans would have hated that every step of the way. Also a pretty damn good chance Dolan would have just fired Sather and hired someone else who would have gone out and done the same thing.

I don't think this is really unique to NY fans either, but at any rate, it's never really as easy as saying "oh yeah we'd totally be up for a rebuild!" without having to go through years of terrible terrible hockey played by crappy players while waiting for the actual good talent to develop in the minors.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:33 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Really? Would they? I wouldn't. Cally is the heart and soul of this team. We trade him and we lose a bit of ourselves.
at one point i would have

but anyone can see the Callahan is the pulse of the team

he's not going anywhere

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:39 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Late-bloomer. When he came over he was extremely skinny. He needs time to develop physically even still. He had a very poor WJC performance where many scouts thought he was more of a "floater" and not a good defensive player at all. He has worked at that part of his game quite a bit in Chilliwack.

I can not remember if he stated before the draft whether he was going to come over to NA right away or not but my guess would be he did not and the Rangers did their research well on him.

On top of all of that, the Czech Republic has had a very bare cupboard when it comes to prospects the past few years. With that comes less coverage of their prospects and less good competition in their youth programs as compared to Canada or Sweden or the US.

He is going to be a steal. He has great hockey IQ and as long as he stays healthy and keeps progressing he has the skills to be a good NHLer. Very impressive.

On a sidenote, it is funny that the Rangers have been able to grab some pretty good prospects from the Czech Republic in the past few years. Kundratek was their #1 rated prospect who I am pretty high on and Horak was also a very highly rated prospect from there as well(I can't rememebr if he was #1). Whoever is their scout in that region does their homework well and Clarke seems to trust him, with good reason.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote