HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers longtime nemesis the NJ Devils becoming increasingly irrelevant?

Old
11-04-2010, 09:36 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Not exactly. The Devils traded their 1st this year to Atlanta in the Kovalchuk deal, and the NHL took away a 1st in a year of their choice within the next 4 (so either 2011, 12, 13, or 14) as punishment for the ridiculous contract.
I forgot about this. BTW Bergfors is doing pretty good with Atlanta and Atlanta seems more balanced as a team since they unloaded Koval"choke." Anyway, obviously my intent in using the term "demise" was more hyperbole b/c of my dislike fo the team but I do think as a team they are waning and have sort of lost their way. They are trying to gain a new identity under their new coach and as we know with the Flyers under Stevens and then most of last year that is no easy task no matter the core and the skill of that core. You have to gain chemistry under a new system that Maclean is trying to establish.

Holik was on NHL Network the other night and even though I was distracted by his Schwarzenegger accent he even said the Devils have a lot of work to do and have veered from their tradition and was kind of befuddled by the Kovalchuck signing. I just think the Kovalchuck signing was still a miscalc considering they lost two first rounders from it and it's questionable how much impact he will have as being one of their core players expecially since he's such a huge cap hit. I mean it messed up their whole roster earlier in the season. Now if we add in Brodeur starting to rust..the Devils don't look as great going forward....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Devils need to cut the dead weight in guys like Rolston, Zubrus, Salvador, etc
Well, Rolston and Salvador are on LTIR right now... and Zubrus is actually playing pretty well for them (from all accounts I've heard, and the minimal amount of Devs action I've watched). Rolston is probably the ideal candidate to be moved for cap purposes when it's all said and done.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:54 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Not exactly. The Devils traded their 1st this year to Atlanta in the Kovalchuk deal, and the NHL took away a 1st in a year of their choice within the next 4 (so either 2011, 12, 13, or 14) as punishment for the ridiculous contract.
I wonder if Lou will try to forfeit this year's first and take it away from Atlanta

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:36 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I wonder if Lou will try to forfeit this year's first and take it away from Atlanta
Atlanta already had their pick from the Devils. Or rather Chicago did, because Atlanta repackaged it in the deal for Byfuglien etc. Chicago picked Kevin Hayes from Boston College with it.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, Rolston and Salvador are on LTIR right now... and Zubrus is actually playing pretty well for them (from all accounts I've heard, and the minimal amount of Devs action I've watched). Rolston is probably the ideal candidate to be moved for cap purposes when it's all said and done.
I agree that Rolston is the guy that the Devils would most likely want to move, but with his salary, I doubt he gets moved. They would likely have to throw in some picks or prospects to get someone to take that. Rolston is a solid player, but he is not $5 mil + for two years solid. He's a consistent 50s points type of player and he is getting old. If he was five years younger they could probably closer, but he is closer to 40 than 30 and that is a lot of money for a guy to score 50 points in a season.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I agree that Rolston is the guy that the Devils would most likely want to move, but with his salary, I doubt he gets moved. They would likely have to throw in some picks or prospects to get someone to take that. Rolston is a solid player, but he is not $5 mil + for two years solid. He's a consistent 50s points type of player and he is getting old. If he was five years younger they could probably closer, but he is closer to 40 than 30 and that is a lot of money for a guy to score 50 points in a season.
Oh, that contract is terrible.

Old
11-04-2010, 12:27 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

A little off topic, but did anyone see the Crosby fight last night? I just watched it. Looks like he landed one punch and just kind of shook Niskanen around. Pretty lame for both guys (Crosby not really knowing how to fight, Niskanen getting shoved around by Crosby).

Old
11-04-2010, 12:30 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Given the tough schedule and injuries hitting the Devils, I'm not surprised they're struggling at the start of the season.

If Brodeur's injury from last night is minor, I believe they'll be challenging for the Atlantic Division crown soon enough.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Given the tough schedule and injuries hitting the Devils, I'm not surprised they're struggling at the start of the season.

If Brodeur's injury from last night is minor, I believe they'll be challenging for the Atlantic Division crown soon enough.
They'll be better, but I think they're giving away a lot to us as far as skaters... and a lot to the Pens as far as starpower (which won't matter if MAF doesn't get his head screwed on straight).

If we get reasonable goaltending, we should finish ahead of that Devs roster.

Old
11-04-2010, 12:33 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Atlanta already had their pick from the Devils. Or rather Chicago did, because Atlanta repackaged it in the deal for Byfuglien etc. Chicago picked Kevin Hayes from Boston College with it.
Oh right, we're not in 2011 yet.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Miss Mess

yeah i agree. they will get it together soon enough, it's only november

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Gert B Frobe

I think Brodeur has been average to bad for the last couple seasons and will continue to decline. It is very early but I think the Devils will miss the playoffs this year. I wish Canada had stuck with him in the olympics - even though Luongo wasn't very good either.

Here's the last 10 years matchups:

99-00 Devils win 3rd round 4-3

03-04 Flyers win 1st round 4-1
09-10 Flyers win 1st round 4-1

Although 99-00 still hurts, there's not too much lately to hate about the Devils. Other than they're the Devils... which is enough.

Last edited by Gert B Frobe: 11-04-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I like reading the Devils board to see what they think they will get when they trade these guys. I was on there the other day and they were talking about landing a first + for Langenbrunner. In all likelihood the Devils will probably have to send a draft pick just to get someone to take some of these players. One guy was saying how the Devils are not in a position of weakness and even if they were, "this is isn't fantasy hockey and GMs aren't out to screw each other over." As if a GM would be like, "Look, I know the Devils are in trouble, I'm here to help. Let's make a trade that benefits your team instead of mine." I love naive fans.
Sorry, I have to respond. Show me the posts where Devils fans claim that Lagenbrunner can bring back a 1st rounder, because I don't believe it.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Sorry, I have to respond. Show me the posts where Devils fans claim that Lagenbrunner can bring back a 1st rounder, because I don't believe it.
I actually wouldn't believe it if there wasn't one. Isn't overpriced trade value a hallmark of HF?

Old
11-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
I actually wouldn't believe it if there wasn't one. Isn't overpriced trade value a hallmark of HF?
One poster being foolish isn't a majority of a fan base as it was made out to sound.... Right? Every HF team thread has its blinded-homers or young and lack of knowledge ones.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

It's a bruise. He's expected to be in the lineup Friday according to Lou.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
It's 14 games, and they're having serious injury problems at the moment. If we lose our next 2 games, we will be 6 pts (nothing) ahead of the Devs with 68 games to play.

While I said all summer that I didn't fear the Devs much, they'll be a decent enough team when they get all their bodies together and adjust to the new coach. Parise being out 3 months is a killer.

I will also go out on a limb and say Brodeur will not end the year with a .904 SVPCT and a 2.70 GAA.
If they adjust to their new coach.

Aside from injuries, the three biggest problems the Devs are facing are the unexpected regression of nearly every 34+ year-old veteran they have (although this one could be tied to coaching), either bad coaching or a chasm between the coaching staff and the players, and an offensively inept defense even when healthy.

Just gonna have to see how things go. Biggest thing for them is going to be whether or not MacLean can prove to be an effective coach or not.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 05:48 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
You're right my bad. It was a second. But still. And whoever was saying said Clarkson could probably get better. Both of those statements I think are off base. Especially considering the position the Devils are in with injuries, cap, etc.

Old
11-04-2010, 11:04 PM
BernieParent

For about 4 seconds, I considered the scenario where the Devils remained at the bottom of the league, and Holmgren dealt for Brodeur at the trade deadline. Then I checked Brodeur's cap hit.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I think the Devils will rebound and make the playoffs just to spite me. I actually do think that they will get their act together though.

I heard on the radio the other day how some were thinking that the owner was the one forcing the Kovalchuk aquisition.

And regarding tanking a season, the Devils would never do that. I don't think Lou would ever tolerate that. Too much class there. That is not his style at all.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote