HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You are GM, What Do You Do?

View Poll Results: Which Choice Do you make?
Sign Giroux/Leino to contracts, trade Carter? 27 32.93%
Sign Giroux, and lock Carter into a Richards type deal? 25 30.49%
Sign Carter/Leino and trade Giroux? 0 0%
Move a Dman and sign all three including NTC/NMC's? 30 36.59%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-04-2010, 05:42 AM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholm Syndrome View Post
Aye. There was a moment against the Canes where one of our defensemen had to race one of their forwards back to the line for icing. All I could think was "Wow who is that? He's fast" It could've been anyone, because none of our defensemen are particularly swift, save Coburn and Timonen occasionally. Low and behold, it was O'Donnell. If anything, he's done an exceptional job hiding his age with this team thus far. I can appreciate that.

I'm hoping Homer suddenly becomes a genius with cap management and finds a way to keep all our boys, so I didn't vote. All of them deserve a spot on this team.
I'd say keep most of them. You know, letting Boucher, Shelley, Walker, and Carcillo go.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:36 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Expiring Contracts

RFA - Giroux, Carter, Powe, Nodl, Carcillo, Kalinski, Legein, Klotz, Stewart, Laliberte, Clackson, (Maroon)
UFA - Zherdev, Leino, O'Donnell, Boucher, Moore

RFA - vanRiemsdyk, Testwuide, Rowe, Bourdon, Lehtivuori, Marshall, Holmstrom
UFA - Laperriere, Betts, Carle, Coburn, Leighton, Backlund, Jancevski

RFA - Wellwood, Bartulis, Bobrovsky, Gustafsson, Pither, Harper, Rinaldo, Hostetter*
UFA - Hartnell, Shelley, Timonen, Walker

UFA - Meszaros

UFA - Briere

UFA - Pronger

UFA - Richards

Bold = Important to re-sign
Italics = May be important depending on play at the time
* = ELC in CHL
() = No longer on roster
Why is Shelly not bolded, enlarged and underlined?

Seriouly though I generally agree with that list with a few picky changes. I'd have O'Donnell in italics (esp if Lappy is done- O'Donnells vet presence would be nice) and Id probably unbold Bart and Lehtvourri

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Went with the last option. So obvious that this is what needs to be done next summer. It will be so easy to trade one of Coburn , Carle or Mesz and replace them with Bart.
Why give NTC and NMC? I guess someone was trying to be sarcastic.

Waive Leighton and Walker.. Over 3M right there. Can you believe it?
I agree with this but it still does not resolve the issues with no players in the pipeline to help replenish a depleted farm system. In the NHL cap world having players like Giroux on the cheap for several years and being able to retain them in a RFA status it keep teams competitive, especially with the larger contracts and older players on the roster. If Bobrovsky ends up being a real deal it could be a huge blessing with his $1.75mill through 2013 at which time he is a RFA.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
My counter to that argument is you have a much smaller hole to fill trading Briere then you do trading Carter. Shaving off the defense certainly makes sense also, because you can't overlook Briere's playoff production.
It will be interesting if the Flyers go into the playoffs and say you trade Briere but Carter comes up small again. I know Briere is considered an overpriced fwd at this time, but you cannot discount that he comes up big in the playoffs. And Briere has a NMC which is much tougher to mvoe because the GM has no leverage, you cannot waive him, you cannot do anything without Briere's consent basically.

Old
11-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Jester, I guess you are worried about Bobo's Bonuses right?
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He's at 1.75 until 2013.
No, he's at 900K or whatever for the next three years... bonuses can get him up to 1.75M. If Holmgren doesn't budget for those bonuses they will roll over and stack his contract up.

I also don't know how bonuses work against LTIR as opposed to simply base salary.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yep.

No, he's at 900K or whatever for the next three years... bonuses can get him up to 1.75M. If Holmgren doesn't budget for those bonuses they will roll over and stack his contract up.

I also don't know how bonuses work against LTIR as opposed to simply base salary.
Bonuses can be deferred which is probably the situation here, it does complicate things for next year though. Didn't they do that with JvR last season?

Old
11-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Bonuses can be deferred which is probably the situation here, it does complicate things for next year though. Didn't they do that with JvR last season?
I very much doubt JVR hit any important bonuses. It would have rolled over if he had, however.

Old
11-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
I very much doubt JVR hit any important bonuses. It would have rolled over if he had, however.
With bonuses and Laperriere's LTIR it does take out $2mill on the overall cap hit for payroll next year if Bobrovsky does meet the bonuses(don't know what they are but if he gets the starting role he will meet most, if not all, of them).

Old
11-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
With bonuses and Laperriere's LTIR it does take out $2mill on the overall cap hit for payroll next year if Bobrovsky does meet the bonuses(don't know what they are but if he gets the starting role he will meet most, if not all, of them).
Yes, but I'm not sure bonuses can roll in under LTIR. That's something to question.

Old
11-04-2010, 10:53 AM
jb**

Quote:
Because Cartsiephan wants to make no choice sound appealing.

How about option 4:

1. Sign Carter to a Richards-esque deal.
2. Give Giroux his damn money.
3. Keep Leino under 3.50m.
4. Waive Leighton and Walker.
5. Stay cap compliant, but if absolutely necessary, though it shouldn't be, trade Carle while letting Gustafsson, Lehtivuori, and Bartulis battle for NHL positions in Carle's spot with Pronger, as the 6th, and as the 7th.
Just curious on what your logic is on putting what would be the weakest link(those 3 d guys you mention) on the top pairing with Pronger. Why do you think that is a good idea and would even work? Your wasting pronger at that point.
Signing carter to a life long deal would be a mistake. No need to pay Giroux just yet, let it play out.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:24 PM
bakunin

I'm stunned a lot of people would hand 3 m/year to Leino. To me he should get 2-2,25. Otherwise: Let him walk.

bakunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:28 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin View Post
I'm stunned a lot of people would hand 3 m/year to Leino. To me he should get 2-2,25. Otherwise: Let him walk.
Let Leino walk?

And replace him with who?

I'd give Leino 3.00m as an impending UFA. He is awesome along the boards, works hard, and is great with Briere and Hartnell.

Another Leino is not going to just fall off a tree somewhere.

Eventually you're going to have to pay to keep some of our team in tact. Without our depth, we're Chicago of this past offseason. No thanks.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
Yeah, I like Leino thus far, and would be happy to re-sign him to something reasonable, but don't view him as a priority. I'm also concerned about his ability to hold up... he seems to skate himself into awkward contact on a regular basis (tends to happen when you like to turn your back on defenders).

Old
11-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Jester

Quote:
Let Leino walk?

And replace him with who?

I'd give Leino 3.00m as an impending UFA. He is awesome along the boards, works hard, and is great with Briere and Hartnell.

Another Leino is not going to just fall off a tree somewhere.
Really?

Every offseason there are some quality veteran UFAs that are floating around the bargain bin by the end of the summer. May not replace whatever Leino does this season, but lets not act like you can't get a quality player for a reasonable contract in the offseason.

Old
11-04-2010, 01:32 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Really?

Every offseason there are some quality veteran UFAs that are floating around the bargain bin by the end of the summer. May not replace whatever Leino does this season, but lets not act like you can't get a quality player for a reasonable contract in the offseason.
Don't complain to me when our wingers next year are:

Carter
Hartnell
vanRiemsdyk
Powe
Nodl
Wellwood
Carcillo
Shelley

Old
11-04-2010, 01:34 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:

Carter
Hartnell
vanRiemsdyk
Powe
Nodl
Wellwood

Carcillo
Shelley
I would have no complaints about constructing a 3rd line out of guys like that with Richards and ending this 3 scoring line business.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Jester

Quote:

Carter
Hartnell
vanRiemsdyk
Powe
Nodl
Wellwood
Carcillo
Shelley
I won't.

The reality of the salary cap is that you can't be paying your 9th forward as far as priority goes 3M a year.

You drop that much coin on Leino, what do you do when JVR breaks out next year? (And, yes, for that reason alone Holmgren will drop that much coin on Leino.)

Old
11-04-2010, 01:36 PM
bakunin

Quote:

Carter
Hartnell
vanRiemsdyk
Powe
Nodl
Wellwood
Carcillo
Shelley
... plus the UFA who replaces Leino if he's demanding too much. What's your point again?

bakunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:13 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
... plus the UFA who replaces Leino if he's demanding too much. What's your point again?
http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?Y...ion=F&FAType=2

Name one person on that list who will demand less than 3.00m for Leino, which is the highest I'll go to keep him, who is as good or better than him for the next 2-3 years.

Old
11-04-2010, 02:25 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:

Name one person on that list who will demand less than 3.00m for Leino, which is the highest I'll go to keep him, who is as good or better than him for the next 2-3 years.
How do we even know how good Leino is? The guy has a total of 80 NHL regular season games and 30 points in those games.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:26 PM
jb**

Quote:

let him play a full year before you go giving out big bucks long term. I wopuld assume leino will want a long term deal to cash in if he continues to produce. He will unlikely get that here. Then again with this gm who knows.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Snotbubbles

One of the defensemen will be gone to make room for Carter, Giroux and Leino. The question is, which one. As much as Homer wants a good third pairing, it makes little sense to pay 4M for a third pairing defensemen. A simple re-adjustment of the value that they are paying on defense should allow them to keep all three guys.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Scott Hartnell ($4.200m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Ian Laperriere ($1.166m) / Jody Shelley ($1.100m)
Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Claude Giroux ($4.000m)
Jeff Carter ($6.250m) / Michael Testwuide ($0.900m) / Ville Leino ($3.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Matt Walker ($1.700m)
Braydon Coburn ($3.200m) /
Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m) /Michael Leighton ($1.550m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,855,596; BONUSES: $1,960,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $1,504,404

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Jester

Quote:

There is ZERO chance I see Corey Stillman getting that much on his next contract given his age... outside of maybe for a 1 or 2 year deal. Hell, look at the contract Prospal signed.

You can find a veteran UFA for a pretty good number if you wait it out (something Holmgren appears incapable of doing).

Old
11-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
There is ZERO chance I see Corey Stillman getting that much on his next contract given his age... outside of maybe for a 1 or 2 year deal. Hell, look at the contract Prospal signed.

You can find a veteran UFA for a pretty good number if you wait it out (something Holmgren appears incapable of doing).

Luke Holmgren: I can't keep the vision out of my head. They're my friends. I've gotta help them.

Jester: On this all depends. Only a fully trained General Manager with the Salary Cap as his ally will conquer Stanley and his Emperor. If you end your training now, if you choose the quick and easy path as Lamoriello did, you will become an agent of evil.

Obi-Wanna Cup: Patience!

Luke Holmgren: And sacrifice Harts and Leino?

Jester: If you honor what they fight for, yes!

Last edited by Flyskippy: 11-04-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Leino is one of those players who you think you can repalce and then when he is gone you lose a piece of the offense you wish you had. He is a puck possession guy, who can play along the boards and play the game how coaches want it to be played in the offensive zone...down low, along the boards, establish the cycle and create chances off of the puck possession. I think 3yrs, $3-3.5 would be a max deal, $4mill and no thanks unless he puts up some nasty numbers this season.

Would you prefer Coby Armstrong/Ryan Malone or Ville Leino, look at the cap hit now.