HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 3 Players Holding Us Down

Old
11-04-2010, 03:03 PM
IslandersFan25*

vCash: 500
Top 3 Players Holding Us Down

1) Rick Dipietro

He's been out for too long, and will never be the same goalie he was before the injury, its time to either give a new goalie a chance and drop him to the AHL or just get rid of him all together.

2) Trent Hunter

He's the most obvious out of shape player on the Islanders atm, and as of late has really brought down his big checks. He makes bad passes and at times is incredibly unreliable when needed to go on a rush. He just doesn't have it anymore...I really like Hunter too though.

3) Doug Weight

If anything, take this poor guy off the Powerplay, he simply can't handle the responsibility anymore. He should stay on the fourth line too, he's lost his fire already after having a pretty nice start. Guy is just too old. Another player I really like that just can't do it for us anymore.

I know you all have your own opinions and choices, so please share, thanks!

Go Isles

IslandersFan25* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Islanderfan17

Guarantee Bruno Gervais will be on this list within the next month.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan25 View Post
1) Rick Dipietro

He's been out for too long, and will never be the same goalie he was before the injury, its time to either give a new goalie a chance and drop him to the AHL or just get rid of him all together.

2) Trent Hunter

He's the most obvious out of shape player on the Islanders atm, and as of late has really brought down his big checks. He makes bad passes and at times is incredibly unreliable when needed to go on a rush. He just doesn't have it anymore...I really like Hunter too though.

3) Doug Weight

If anything, take this poor guy off the Powerplay, he simply can't handle the responsibility anymore. He should stay on the fourth line too, he's lost his fire already after having a pretty nice start. Guy is just too old. Another player I really like that just can't do it for us anymore.

Go Isles

I do not think weight is a problem for us.

the only real issue on this list IMO is ricky

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 03:12 PM
the sweetener

id actually say everyone that played last night. you lose as a team, you win as a team. there wasnt just 1 or 3 players last night that were responsible for the loss. same w/ the philly game.

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 03:13 PM
IslandersFan25*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Guarantee Bruno Gervais will be on this list within the next month.
This is what my list from last year would have looked like

1) Bruno

2) Bruno

3) Bruno

---

I loved him playing on the first line where he'd almost purposely throw the puck up the center of the ice or directly to the other team. I can't believe we got rid of Sim but still have this goof. Gervais was the reason we lost a few games too, close games and OT games where he'd give the puck directly to the other team.

Old
11-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

1.DP
2.DP
3.PAP

And this is coming from a DP fan.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 03:16 PM
IslandersFan25*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
I do not think weight is a problem for us.

the only real issue on this list IMO is ricky
When we do win games though, these two besides Ricky ALWAYS stand out, I go to most of the home games I can, and when I do, I constantly see stupid mistakes from these two.

My biggest piss off was against Montreal, when Weight gave up on the PP when he couldn't handle the puck and just skated off the ice instead of getting the puck back.

Also when Hunter was only half way in his shift with a possible two on one, he couldn't even make it to dump the puck, he's also a horrible back-checker, a lot of times he's the last one back.

Old
11-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Brunomics

so let me get this straight Weight is holding the Isles down because they have no one else to distribute the puck on the point since Streit is out and he is the best option? Who would you rather have?

And Hunter? He's a bottom 6 guy. He's definitely not holding this team down.

DP.... yes

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

1 Dipietro
2 Dipietro
3 Dipietro

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 03:25 PM
CDirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan25 View Post
1) Rick Dipietro

2) Trent Hunter

3) Doug Weight

Go Isles
I don't think the issue is so much of an individual player at fault. Course you can probably spread the blame evenly across the guys in the room. Mainly cause this team isn't playing as a cohesive unit.

But that really comes down to the coach finding something that works. Which really is my issue with this team as it's retarded to go look for players that fit your system rather than work with what you have in the room.

Gordon's system clearly doesn't work either. You can't expect to play this kind of system for sixty minutes cause it freakin wears guys down. Everyone that has commented on it in that locker room has stated that it's freakin nearly impossible to play this system at a high level night after night.

Gordon needs to make adjustments.

He needs to get this team back on his side cause it looks to me like he's lost it.

CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 03:27 PM
DoggyOnDown

1. DP - like that was hard

2 Hunter - way to slow to play in the nhl at this point

3 i'm gonna get killed for this but Moulson - too slow

DoggyOnDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 03:31 PM
IslandersFan25*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyOnDown View Post
1. DP - like that was hard

2 Hunter - way to slow to play in the nhl at this point

3 i'm gonna get killed for this but Moulson - too slow
Nah, I agree on 3, Moulson has a had a pretty bumpy start.

Old
11-04-2010, 03:35 PM
DPSNAGS

1 dp
2 pap

thats it...hunters a fine role player....3rd 4th line duty fits him well

DPSNAGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

The better question is probably which 3 players aren't holding the team down?

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 03:40 PM
BlackDog13

DiPietro is a horror, the team is comprised of mostly marginal players. Tavares and Okposo will probably run screaming from the Island as soon as they're able. Unfortunately, this is the product the Islanders will continue to deliver year after year.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 03:40 PM
islandermike

I'm not sure the list can stop at three, it is probably more like seven or eight

1.DP-is a shell of himself, guess he is healthy but he needs to go play in AHL to see if can find it. Watching him try and find it here is getting the team killed.

2.Hunter- would be better fit on a contending team, his role here can be filled by others and his skating is not good enough for the system they are trying to play. I like him though and if he made less money i am sure alot of contending teams would be interested in him.

3.Gervais- he just sucks, he is a good guy but not an NHL caliber d-man

4.Eaton- are you telling me Kohn could not do what Eaton does? I know it's only 12 games but....

5.Hillen- he was playing so well before the broken jaw but since he is just as bad as Gervais

6. Comeau-i don't know what the hype is all about, he goes a few games well and goes cold for even longer. I just don't see him as part of the core of young players here but i guess Mgmt. does

7. Weight-he is a good guy and good captain type but he playing days are behind him, i do think though he still has value to a youthful group with the day to day stuff on playing in NHL.

islandermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 04:01 PM
the sweetener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
The better question is probably which 3 players aren't holding the team down?
Not sure i can name 3.

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 04:10 PM
ferrisUML

1. DP...Have nothing to add that hasn't already been said

2. Weight...Useless on the PP point. Useless down-low since he doesn't shoot. Backbreaking giveaways/flubs in the offensive zone. Needs to center shoot-first players to be effective of which we have none.

3. Comeau...Career AHL'er. Marginal upgrade over Tambellini. Not a top six player for ANY team in the league, let alone one that was supposed to contend this year. Seriously, most overrated player on the team.

4. Pap...What the **** has he done to earn top three minutes and JT's flank? Seriously. With last night's goal being the one exception, all his points have been on the PP and of the same ilk. Any righty shot would be an upgrade over PAP. Put me in the left circle and even I can stop a pass, allow the goalie to setup and shoot it right into their crest. Snow's desire for credit on another offseason gem is clouding his judgement.

5. Bruno...Covered ad nauseum. His giveaways are just crushing. Needs to be exposed via Waivers and Reese brought up.

6. Hillen...I think he'll be okay. Pair him with anyone other than Bruno and his play will improve.

ferrisUML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sweetener View Post
Not sure i can name 3.
1) Nielsen
2) JT
3) Roloson

HM: James the Wiz, Josh Bailey, Mark Eaton (at times), Zenon when throwing the fists around.

Everyone else has been below par.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
1) Nielsen
2) JT
3) Roloson

HM: James the Wiz, Josh Bailey, Mark Eaton (at times), Zenon when throwing the fists around.

Everyone else has been below par.
Plus Martinek, but that's about it.

Old
11-04-2010, 04:46 PM
ISLESnPANTHERS

DiPi, PAP, and Bruno.

ISLESnPANTHERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 05:22 PM
redbull
game on

most accurate answer:
1) Wang
2) Snow
3) Kevin Connolly or Wang Junior (toss-up)

On the ice:
Tavares
Bailey
DiPietro

excluded but more significant: Okposo, Streit

Your best players are what "holds you back" - not your fringe players.

In the unique case of the NYIslanders, fringe NHLers get big minutes, in key parts of the game no less. Namely: Parenteau, Schremp, Grabner, Weight, Konopka, Gillies, Sim (until the other day) - these players probably don't make another roster in the NHL, not in any role similar to what they have on the NYI, that's for sure.

The defense is good. All would probably have jobs in the NHL. They aren't great, they aren't big and don't really play physical, but they are of NHL quality (albeit limited)

The team is held back because players are set-up to fail. Too much is asked of them based on what they can be EXPECTED TO DELIVER.

Simple.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 05:29 PM
majormet

Disagree heavily about Hunter, I am biased but the guy does his job, he is a 3rd line checker, gets to loose pucks and is a leader.

Weight holds us back, but much like Mottau, he is being asked to do more than he can, playing too many minutes.

Holding us back.. short list... Rick Dipietro

Hunter and Weight are bottom 6 guys
Hillen, Mottau and Bruno are depth defensemen

What is holding us back right now are the injuries, besides the crappy goalie.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
Disagree heavily about Hunter, I am biased but the guy does his job, he is a 3rd line checker, gets to loose pucks and is a leader.

Weight holds us back, but much like Mottau, he is being asked to do more than he can, playing too many minutes.

Holding us back.. short list... Rick Dipietro

Hunter and Weight are bottom 6 guys
Hillen, Mottau and Bruno are depth defensemen

What is holding us back right now are the injuries, besides the crappy goalie.
mm, I think me and you are the only 2 people on this board who like Hunter.

Old
11-04-2010, 05:40 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
mm, I think me and you are the only 2 people on this board who like Hunter.
Yeah and izzo. Izzo goes to bat for Trent.

I see a different player than most. He is what he is, a big forward that checks, gets to loose pucks, clears the zone, shoots the puck into the zone (sometimes on net) and makes it easier for faster players to play, why I really think he should be on a line with Bailey and Comeau until Okposo returns.

Being a Met fan and Islander fan in the same year is taking years off of my life.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote