HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biggest turnarounds from last year

Old
11-03-2010, 02:06 AM
SRTtoZ

vCash: 500
Boyle, 100% yes...Rozy? NO

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:13 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

No Wade Redden.

I seriously think losing him was great for this organization.

Hes not the biggest turnaround, but he was just a sideshow that needed to go away.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:50 AM
ohbaby

For the last 3 years we have been waiting for Dubinsky to have a breakout season. And every year you hear the same thing from Sam and Joe. I was one who said it will never happen. I just didn't see any growth in his game. He had 40 pts in each of his first 3 seasons.

Well, this is season #4 for him, and it seems to me,... since the tail end of last year, he has come into his own. Since that loss against Boston last year to practically eliminate us from the playoffs, he has scored 19 pts in 21 games. And in that span,.. he has led all Rangers fowards in time on ice. And that includes Gabby too!

Obviously Torts has supreme confidence in him, playing him in all situations. But Dubi has taken the coaches' approval,... grabbing it by the balls and lifting his game to another level. He has become a leader on this team and it shows in his confidence. He is making all the right decisions.

BTW he's tied with Ovie in 5th place in goals scored (7).

Last edited by ohbaby: 11-03-2010 at 04:42 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 06:09 AM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
For the last 3 years we have been waiting for Dubinsky to have a breakout season. And every year you hear the same thing from Sam and Joe. I was one who said it will never happen. I just didn't see any growth in his game. He had 40 pts in each of his first 3 seasons.

Well, this is season #4 for him, and it seems to me,... since the tail end of last year, he has come into his own. Since that loss against Boston last year to practically eliminate us from the playoffs, he has scored 19 pts in 21 games. And in that span,.. he has led all Rangers fowards in time on ice. And that includes Gabby too!

Obviously Torts has supreme confidence in him, playing him in all situations. But Dubi has taken the coaches' approval,... grabbing it by the balls and lifting his game to another level. He has become a leader on this team and it shows in his confidence. He is making all the right decisions.

BTW he's tied with Ovie in 5th place in goals scored (7).
Good post. Dubinsky is taking his game to a new level. What I've liked is that he's controlling the pace of the play when he needs to. He can protect the puck and pass it off to keep play alive. He seems to understand that a garbage goal is as good as a beautiful goal, and he seems to will his linemates to succeed.

On Cally's first goal you could almost see Dubi feeding him intentionally.

Love what his game has become.

On Torts, I agree he seems more calm or collected this year. I always felt that his beef was the culture of the team last year. That his battle was waking the little millionaires up. Seeing the selflessness on the ice now, I'd say that battle was won and Torts is satisfied that he's made headway. The attitude looks good on him and the team. Kudos.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 07:51 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

I've been pretty down on Boyle since he was acquired and with good reason, however, this year as someone above mentioned, he's realized that he can actually play this game and that he's bigger and stronger than the average NHL'er and is using those attributes to his advantage.

He's making opponents pay on most occassions, he's getting a bit stronger along the boards, his skating seems to have gotten better (which was already one of his strengths)

Maybe it's just one of those things where the player has taken a season or 2 longer than most to get truly comfortable in his own skin.

Would still like to see him add a bit more snarl to his game, but I have been pleased and impressed with his play 11 games in.

Keep it up.

Another guy is Callahan, he's on pace for 29 goals and 67 assists, do I really expect that to happen? Not even close, but as long as that lines stays together, 25+ goals and 30+ assists is not out of the question. A 55+ point season out of Callahan with everything else that he brings to the table and that is who we were thinking we were getting when we signed Drury 3 years ago.

Finally, Dubinsky, I have given this guy crap for a while now. I have mentioned time and again how I think that he is a glorified 3rd liner (same as Cally) however, I must now eat my words as he has come into this season with purpose and has demonstrated an ability to be part of a line that has carried this team through 11 games (not long, but not to shabby either) He's playing an imposing style that compliments his lines-mates and as such, all three are having fantastic starts to their seasons.

As long as they can continue this effort (points aside) I have to admit that my assessment on both Dubinsky and Callahan were off and they are both legit players playing like a true 1st line.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 07:54 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Not going to lie this is the first year since 2007 that i am looking forward to watching games. I love the fact we have young guys leading the way all getting better. The game is a young mans game and im really happy to see that we finally our having young guys lead the way. Other than letting Kennedy go to the AHL i am happy with the team. I know people may disagree but i just wish that Drury and Prospal would not return as i am enjoying watching this team and fear that when they do we will take steps back rather than forward. For instance could someone name 3 players they would take out to replace the three injured players, because other than White i cannot.
Eric Chriistensen is a goner

Todd White is a goner

Grachev will be sent back to Hartford

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

white christensen and boogaard would be my preference.

Frolov - Prospal - Gabby
Dubi - AA - Cally
Avery - Drury - Fedotenko
Boyle - Stepan - Grachev

though i feel like I'm forgetting someone here....

Old
11-03-2010, 04:29 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

Frolov - Prospal - Gabby
Dubi - AA - Cally
Boyle - Stepan - Grachev

Prust. Maybe sit Grachev or Fedotenko. Or Frolov depending on how much longer it takes him to get his game going.

Old
11-03-2010, 09:39 PM
satrabyk

Quote:

Frolov - Prospal - Gabby
Dubi - AA - Cally
Boyle - Stepan - Grachev

I agree with your 3 players who you would replace, although Its obvious Avery has no chemistry with Drury, i dont think a line like that would work at all. Prospal and to somewhat the same degree is Gaborik are ? Both are fragile, and to think they will come into the middle of the season play Top line together is a lot to ask. My point i was really trying to get at is Prospal, Drury these guys as i have said before are not helping this team now and def not in the future. I much rather see Dubi play over Prospal any day of the week, and at this point Drury i dont even know what to say.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 09:42 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
Prust. Maybe sit Grachev or Fedotenko. Or Frolov depending on how much longer it takes him to get his game going.
Prust?, Feds? How can you think of sitting these guys with how well they have played thus far this season.

Old
11-03-2010, 09:46 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKING33 View Post
White: Boogie, Grachev, Feds, Frolov.. Stepan? Rather all three IR's then any of these guys. Keep the core players moving and I see nothing wrong with any of these players sitting, ahl or being waived. Not saying I dont like the last 4 but they arent what is making this team play well right.
I think your wrong when it comes to Feds, Stepan and somewhat Frolov. Feds has played good hockey, Stepan looks like he is becoming better as he is adjusting to the speed and the strength of the game to a point that i think if kept will be a contributor come playoff time. As Frolov although has not played great, still earns a lot of attention on the ice and creates space for other players.

Old
11-03-2010, 10:03 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Prust?, Feds? How can you think of sitting these guys with how well they have played thus far this season.
Prust should be in the lineup posted. That was who was forgotten. I would certainly keep him in the lineup.

Feds would be one candidate to be odd man out in the full lineup. I personally would sit Grachev and Frolov first. Of those three one would go.

Old
11-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

yeah totally forgot Prust...knew i was forgetting someone... swap him in for Grachev...move Evgeny to the WhalePack.

Old
11-03-2010, 11:06 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Rozsival is still garbage... A few games does not make the guys you "were wrong about"

Wait until April to discuss this.

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:59 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
Good post. Dubinsky is taking his game to a new level. What I've liked is that he's controlling the pace of the play when he needs to. He can protect the puck and pass it off to keep play alive. He seems to understand that a garbage goal is as good as a beautiful goal, and he seems to will his linemates to succeed.

On Cally's first goal you could almost see Dubi feeding him intentionally.
It was definitely intentional. It was the same thing when Cally fed Dubi infront in the Chicago game. Pass/Shoot at the stick. They probably practice this daily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Finally, Dubinsky, I have given this guy crap for a while now. I have mentioned time and again how I think that he is a glorified 3rd liner (same as Cally) however, I must now eat my words as he has come into this season with purpose and has demonstrated an ability to be part of a line that has carried this team through 11 games (not long, but not to shabby either) He's playing an imposing style that compliments his lines-mates and as such, all three are having fantastic starts to their seasons.

As long as they can continue this effort (points aside) I have to admit that my assessment on both Dubinsky and Callahan were off and they are both legit players playing like a true 1st line.
I too had my doubts Dubi would develop into something other than a role player.

I think the big difference in Dubi,.. is not his confidence. I believe he always had a certain swagger to his game. The difference is,... the right choices he's making without hesitation. Seeing the ice, seeing the plays develop beforehand, looking for options instinctively. Split second decisions. Much like when Cally anticipates a pass and breaks it up.

Before,.. Dubi would protect the puck with his back to the net. Holding on to it much like Jagr would. But you can't see or make plays with your back to the net unless you are Jaromir Jagr. He has learned to face the net with the puck and to keep his head up.

It also helps he's playing with 2 very instinctual linemates too. All 3 know where to position themselves on the ice without the puck. All 3 search for open ice. All 3 go the dirty areas as well. What really suprises me is how come we haven't seen Dubi and Cally together till now? Or have I, and it's just that AA has been the secret ingredient?

Old
11-04-2010, 05:58 AM
rangerssharks414

I've never been a Brian Boyle supporter, but it's definitely been him so far.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:21 AM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
Rozsival is still garbage... A few games does not make the guys you "were wrong about"

Wait until April to discuss this.
If it were April 2010 who would be on the Rangers' first pair? I think Rozy may have been our best defenseman since the end of last season, pretty easily.

If he's garbage, the saying that one man's garbage is another man's gold is proven true.

Old
11-04-2010, 03:33 PM
JerseyRangers

The way this team has been playing hard to pick just one or two guys. Boyle has taken a huge step but then so have Dubi, Cally, Arty, Rozy, Prust, Avery and Girardi.

Actually I'm going to have to say Torts. Here's why -

For years one of my biggest complaints was that this team played for themselves. No one stood up for anyone, no one cared. Even last year guys would get run and players would skate away. As a long time Ranger fan I can't remember when before this season we had a team that really cared and fought for one another! I'm tempted to say mid to late 90's before we started signing all the mercenaries.

Now maybe adding guys like Prust and Shelly last season reminded some of the guys on this team that sometimes its ok to take a run at a guy who just flattened one of your own. Maybe seeing that 4th line get top line minutes toward the end of the season made guys like Avery and Boyle take notice and something clicked. Either way they are playing for each other, for the crest on their jersey and for the fans. Maybe thats why so many of us fans are sitting up and saying this team is different. Even if we lose tonite I have a feeling that the Cryers are going to know at the end of the nite that this is a different Rangers team then in the past.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
No Wade Redden.

I seriously think losing him was great for this organization.

Hes not the biggest turnaround, but he was just a sideshow that needed to go away.
I would actually love to have him as our 6th defenseman if he was paid according to his current skill level. And by all accounts, he was a decent guy, so I cant really classify losing him as a turnaround when the defense has proven to be so young and inconsistent in the early going.

But I will eat some crow about Torts. I think hes done a complete 180 with his image - no longer comes off as angry at the world and I think its really helping this team. Maybe his hip replacement has brought forth and older, kindler, and gentler Torts - but his message seems much clearer this season (no longer blaming losses on limosines, etc).

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 04:25 PM
NYRantLftyC19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
As a long time Ranger fan I can't remember when before this season we had a team that really cared and fought for one another! I'm tempted to say mid to late 90's before we started signing all the mercenaries.
I agree. Not since we had Graves and Langdon/PJ Stock to an extent have i seen guys sticking up for their teammates. Maybe Barnaby, or guys like Harvey and McCarthy did? I can only remember a few instances..Most of those teams were lifeless except for one or two guys... After the lockout, Orr never did anything to live up to those guys for me (although that might have been because of the new rules)

NYRantLftyC19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 04:32 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
But I will eat some crow about Torts. I think hes done a complete 180 with his image - no longer comes off as angry at the world and I think its really helping this team. Maybe his hip replacement has brought forth and older, kindler, and gentler Torts - but his message seems much clearer this season (no longer blaming losses on limosines, etc).
Limos? Part of the mercenary culture. He was right to call out the every man for himself mentality.

As I have argued since last season, there was a pernicious culture in the Rangers clubhouse that needed to be eradicated before the team could move forward.

I don't know if he finished the job yet, or if some new development will come along but it looks at first glance like that old culture is gone, finally.

It's pretty impressive, actually. To impose a new culture. I can imagine that it would give splitting headaches most of the time.

Old
11-04-2010, 06:06 PM
ohbaby

I'd hold off on eating crow on Tort's image. His softer side only appears when he's winning. You are guarranteed a spat with Brooks this year. A chewing out of a player on the bench. And maybe another fine for dousing a drink on another fan.

Old
11-04-2010, 06:06 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRantLftyC19 View Post
I agree. Not since we had Graves and Langdon/PJ Stock to an extent have i seen guys sticking up for their teammates. Maybe Barnaby, or guys like Harvey and McCarthy did? I can only remember a few instances..Most of those teams were lifeless except for one or two guys... After the lockout, Orr never did anything to live up to those guys for me (although that might have been because of the new rules)
Barnaby yep but it wasn't a team thing. Harvey didn't really drop them often. As to the Sandman he lost his snarl when he came to the Rangers. In the late 90's I remember guys like Churla, McSorley and the like tried and those were some decent teams. Seems like once we started bringing in guys like Kamsucky, Urianov and company guys seemed to be playing for the paycheck and not the team. JMO.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote