HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Theoretical Goaltender Talk

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1234 View Post
If I was stevie Y, I would be looking to package Smith for Vokoun. With St.Louis age, Gagne is in his last year of his contract and you got some vet dmans you can make a serious push in the playoffs this year with a goalie.

Vokoun has shown he can steal games and florida has Markstrom coming up and their gm wants draft picks. Makes sense. Make a run this season give up a pick and Smith and hopefully resign Vokoun for another 2 years.
Why would Florida want to do this though? Picks? They should prefer to send him as far away as possible. Everybody's got picks.

The current version of the Tampa Bay Lightning is just too new for a serious cup run. Give it another two years.

Old
10-30-2010, 02:42 AM
garmonbozia

It may be too early in the season to worry about the goaltending and who were replacing who with.

It might be too premature in the rebuild-on-the-fly plan to go all in with hopes of stealing the cup this year.

Its doubtful to highly unlikely any team will look to move a goalie thats an improvement over what we've got this year.

Whether this team has the best record, the worst, or anywhere in between its not likely we'll see a significant goaltending move at the trade deadline, barring a major injury.

All that said, if the oppurtunity is there to improve our goaltending short-term, long-term, whatever...I hope it is seriously explored. Don't be afraid to dream big now because you were dissappointed last year (or the one before that). Don't hesitate to seize the moment if things are falling in place now because you expect them to be better down the line.

A "world class" net minder could be a keystone piece of the puzzle that really brings the picture into focus.

The picture of the 2010-11 Lightning huddled around their hard earned Stanley Cup.

Old
10-30-2010, 11:30 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Its just that... well, the playoffs could do wonders for the team financially (although they're not hurting or anything, but raking in playoff cash is ****ing great if you're a sports franchise), and I think would really help in the development of a few guys. I'm a little nervous about goaltending not being able to carry us to that finish line, but we'll see.

Old
10-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
It may be too early in the season to worry about the goaltending and who were replacing who with.

It might be too premature in the rebuild-on-the-fly plan to go all in with hopes of stealing the cup this year.

Its doubtful to highly unlikely any team will look to move a goalie thats an improvement over what we've got this year.

Whether this team has the best record, the worst, or anywhere in between its not likely we'll see a significant goaltending move at the trade deadline, barring a major injury.

All that said, if the oppurtunity is there to improve our goaltending short-term, long-term, whatever...I hope it is seriously explored. Don't be afraid to dream big now because you were dissappointed last year (or the one before that). Don't hesitate to seize the moment if things are falling in place now because you expect them to be better down the line.

A "world class" net minder could be a keystone piece of the puzzle that really brings the picture into focus.

The picture of the 2010-11 Lightning huddled around their hard earned Stanley Cup.

Old
10-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Jeff Vinik is a huge Lady Gaga fan and his favorite song is Poker face which explains the poker theme.

10-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

I felt that I had to share what happened to me in NHL 11 playing against our loved Tampa Bay Lightning team:

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/45999968

Old
10-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
I felt that I had to share what happened to me in NHL 11 playing against our loved Tampa Bay Lightning team:

Video games are so life like now adays.....If only they merged Eastside with NHL then I would have no life...

Old
10-31-2010, 06:59 PM
VanTampaFan

develop the talent internally. if a short term solution is needed u gotta look to the UFAs available in the coming year.

Old
10-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
Video games are so life like now adays.....If only they merged Eastside with NHL then I would have no life...
All I need is a new Eastside.

Quote:

To be fair to virtual Smitty, he wasn't the one with his finger on the button, was he?

For playing w/Smitty in game, here's some reasonable tactics.
Def Strat: Collapsed/Def Pressure: Protect Net/Breakout: Protect lead/Forecheck: 1-2-2 high

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-31-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old
10-31-2010, 08:43 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabee88 View Post
develop the talent internally. if a short term solution is needed u gotta look to the UFAs available in the coming year.
Well... yeah.

Old
10-31-2010, 10:17 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python
The current version of the Tampa Bay Lightning is just too new for a serious cup run.
Care to elaborate?

Quote:
Give it another two years.
I understand your karma-conscious approach to this team's fast start, but this team is a hell of a lot closer to serious contention than you seem willing to publicly acknowledge. They aren't winning with smoke and mirrors; it's a damn good hockey club.

A couple pieces, namely a replacement for Smith who can supplant or effectively spell Ellis, would better their chances, but all this club has to do is get into the playoffs. No better evidence of that than last playoff season.

Old
11-01-2010, 02:15 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

We'll go about as far as our goaltending and Hedman will carry us. I just don't trust Jones and Clark to sustain a whole season at the minutes they're working per night.

Old
11-01-2010, 06:43 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
All I need is a new Eastside.

To be fair to virtual Smitty, he wasn't the one with his finger on the button, was he?

For playing w/Smitty in game, here's some reasonable tactics.
Def Strat: Collapsed/Def Pressure: Protect Net/Breakout: Protect lead/Forecheck: 1-2-2 high
I was San Jose (be a pro, they drafted me) and with 3 seconds left he went out of the net (as he usually does) and well, you can see that pass to Pavelski.
Also, the defense-man near the net stood quiet, ala Krajicek.

Old
11-01-2010, 07:51 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post
Care to elaborate?

I understand your karma-conscious approach to this team's fast start, but this team is a hell of a lot closer to serious contention than you seem willing to publicly acknowledge. They aren't winning with smoke and mirrors; it's a damn good hockey club.

A couple pieces, namely a replacement for Smith who can supplant or effectively spell Ellis, would better their chances, but all this club has to do is get into the playoffs. No better evidence of that than last playoff season.
lol. Publicly. Like I have a serious difference between my personal feelings and the ones I let be known semi-anonymously online. I ripped on astronauts yesterday in the OT topic.

By "too new", what I mean is that much of the team, both in players and especially in terms of managing, coaching, etc. is still very new to all of this. Boucher and Yzerman have yet to lead an NHL team into the playoffs, or even into the dog days of a season, and that's a definite disadvantage. They both have immense potential, but it's just that for now - potential.

We are good team, minus all of the major problems.

It's not unreasonable to think it may take another year or two before the Lightning can/should start to be considered serious contenders.

The failing of public perception, from what I've noticed, is that the interpretation who's "good" is based on year old information. In a year, will non-Tampa fans think we're contenders? We're closer to a situation like Holmgren's first year in Philly, or Colorado's year where everyone thought they sucked, but were actually doing well.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 11-01-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old
11-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
We'll go about as far as our goaltending and Hedman will carry us. I just don't trust Jones and Clark to sustain a whole season at the minutes they're working per night.
I Ohlund back and Vernace in Norfolk will help a little.

Old
11-01-2010, 10:56 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
lol. Publicly. Like I have a serious difference between my personal feelings and the ones I let be known semi-anonymously online. I ripped on astronauts yesterday in the OT topic.
Touche.

Quote:
By "too new", what I mean is that much of the team, both in players and especially in terms of managing, coaching, etc. is still very new to all of this. Boucher and Yzerman have yet to lead an NHL team into the playoffs, or even into the dog days of a season, and that's a definite disadvantage. They both have immense potential, but it's just that for now - potential.
You've got numerous vets who've "been there" (Lecavalier, St. Louis, Kubina, Malone, Gagne, Moore, Ohlund). I get your point about Boucher and Yzerman but while they may be NHL rookies, it's not exactly their first rodeo. Yzerman's "potential" is a reality, as evidenced by his off-season maneuverings. One needs only to sneak a quick peek at the current standings to get an immediate dose of Boucher's "potential." We've been witnessing it for several weeks now. I find myself far from concerned.

Quote:
We are good team, minus all of the major problems.
The Lightning are a good team even WITH their "major problems" (which isn't exactly extensive: Mike Smith's play, Simon Gagne's injury/lack of production). The top-6 is superior to that of most teams in this league and at least on par with most of the perceived elite clubs. The big "if" is the bottom-6, IMO. They have been superb to this point of the season. If they sustain their impact for the majority of this season and playoffs, it's going to be hard to beat the Lightning on any given night.

Quote:
It's not unreasonable to think it may take another year or two before the Lightning can/should start to be considered serious contenders.

The failing of public perception...
I'm not worried about perception. I'm worried about what I'm actually seeing on the ice, and what I'm seeing is mostly pretty damned good. If this is a team that is still struggling to adjust to new system (etc., etc.), I can't wait to see what they can do when everything is routine later in the season. Last season, who foresaw and proclaimed a Montreal-Philadelphia ECF? Philly in the SCF? If this team makes it to the playoffs, it's not unreasonable to think they put on a serious run. Especially if the brain-trust at Channelside is able to make adjustments to address any lingering flaws. Still, would I say that should be the expectation? No. But if I'm Vinik and Yzerman, there's no reason to dismiss the possibility, especially with a boatload of post-season revenue up for grabs.

Quote:
We're closer to a situation like Holmgren's first year in Philly, or Colorado's year where everyone thought they sucked, but were actually doing well.
Before the season, I felt this team had the potential to make a run, but I envisioned something like the 2002-2003 Lightning squad that made it to the 2nd round where it lost in 6 games to the Devils.

Last edited by nhljohnson: 11-01-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old
11-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post
Before the season, I felt this team had the potential to make a run, but I envisioned something like the 2002-2003 Lightning squad that made it to the 2nd round where it lost in 6 games to the Devils.
This is where I'm at.

I think our standards of what constitutes a 'contender' are different.

Old
11-01-2010, 12:15 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
This is where I'm at.

I think our standards of what constitutes a 'contender' are different.
That's probably it. And I should add that I do think this club will be at its peak in a couple seasons, so the expectations should be higher then, too.

I just think this team is much farther along than most teams that undergo significant changes.

Old
11-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:

Holy carp.

I was playing NHL 11 today (online versus play) and had Smitty in net against the Devils.

It's like 2-1 or 2-2 and I begin a rally that puts TB on top 5-2. It should be enough to win, but this is Smitty we're talking about here.

He lets in the 3 to even it up, with the tying goal in the dying seconds of the game. It goes to OT and then he (I) does horribly in the shootout and TB loses.

Normally I'm pretty good at goaltending in penalty shot/SO type situations, but I couldn't stop anything with him.

Now if only they paid that type of attention to the tech aspect of the game.

Old
11-04-2010, 04:56 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Struggling Rick DiPietro could end up on waivers the next days.

Old
11-04-2010, 05:30 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Struggling Rick DiPietro could end up on waivers the next days.
I respect and acknowledge the sarcasm smiley, but I'd only want RDP on re-entry. Half price for this year, full price for the next decade.

Which goalie has fewer games left in their career? RDP or Roloson?

Last edited by Felonious Python: 11-04-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Old
11-04-2010, 08:56 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
What about Leighton....

just kidding

Old
11-04-2010, 09:05 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
What about Leighton....

just kidding
(look of disapproval)

Old
11-04-2010, 02:35 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
What about Leighton....

just kidding
Yeah. We are also going to need something nice like Giroux and a 1st for taking him off your hands!

Old
11-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I dont think Schneider will be moved during the season, they are right up against the cap to be taking on salary to help their run now and he is also important to them as a backup.

Quick nor Bernier will be traded this year unless something major changes. There is no urgency to make a move there, both guys are playing well, and they want something like a 55/27 split there. Further, the Kings, while likely to make a move at the deadline for a winger or any other area of need that opens up, would much sooner trade a skating prospect to get a roster player they need than a roster goalie.

Closed Thread