HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Proposal - Hard Shot !

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-04-2005, 08:55 PM
  #26
BlueBleeder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Looking for others
Country: United States
Posts: 1,677
vCash: 500
Trade doesn't make alot of sense to me. Ottawa has no need to get younger, they already have a good young team and are going for the cup every year. Getting a bunch of young players would only set them back.

BlueBleeder is offline  
Old
05-05-2005, 12:28 AM
  #27
Sens4Cup
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
Free Agents

Atlanta's probably more likely to look for help on the free-agent market than on the trade market. Their D is pretty lacking, but bringing in Coburn next season will help, and they'll have cap room to sign a top defenseman. Also Hossa's contract is up for negotiation and he'll likely get a huge raise, though I guess so will Kovalchuk so that cancels itself out. Alfie I believe would have a no-trade clause, even if he doesn't, he signed a deal and got a 7.5 million dollar signing bonus, so Ottawa would have to swallow that before him even playing a game on his new deal if he got traded.

But it's an interesting deal to propose. Lots of guts.

Sens4Cup is offline  
Old
05-05-2005, 04:51 AM
  #28
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,386
vCash: 500
This is terrible for both teams..

Amen evil king is offline  
Old
05-05-2005, 07:42 AM
  #29
Colorado Avalanche
Registered User
 
Colorado Avalanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lieto
Country: Finland
Posts: 15,525
vCash: 500
atlanta would never do this trade!
because err.. kovalchuk rocks, lehtonen will be excellent goalie and money.

Colorado Avalanche is offline  
Old
05-05-2005, 08:09 AM
  #30
SensGod
Registered User
 
SensGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Scotia Bank Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky371
To OTT : Kari Lehtonen, Braydon Coburn, Ilya Kovalchuk, Garnet Exelby.
To ATL : Zdeno Chara, Marian Hossa, Daniel Alfredsson.
I'd feel guilty if we did that trade...

SensGod is offline  
Old
05-05-2005, 08:40 AM
  #31
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,846
vCash: 500
Great, now try again with a trade that sees both teams trade a commensurate amount of salary. In a cap world, experiences in other leagues show that trades involving disproportionate amount of salary changing hands rarely happen. In Atlanta's case, the Thrashers won't be able to approach the cap ceiling if they want to balance their budget, and they won't relish the idea of adding this much to payroll. That's before you even ask the question of whether Atlanta would want to do it. My guess is that Lehtonen is going absolutely nowhere.

Drake1588 is offline  
Old
05-05-2005, 09:55 AM
  #32
Habs4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal, (Quebec)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
From Atlanta's perspective

Kovalchuck >> Hossa ---> They're rebuilding not contendin, having hossa is wash for them, and at hossa's age Kovalchuck will be better offensive threat.

Lehtonen = Chara -----> some people will disagre and yes chara is franchise player but selecting lehtonenen 2nd overall does count for something right, two years ago chara wasn't star player either, given age difference i'd say lehtonen has similar trade value, despite inflated goaltenders marjet, its hard to find clutch goalie this days.

Coburn = Alfredson, Alfie is a great player but selecting Coburn in top ten does count for something right, and Coburn hasn't done anything wrong yet, ya i'd agree Alfredson is great player, but i'd have to say even great players in their 30's won't command more then top ten pick unless they are leading the league in points.

Now Exelby might just be throw in without much gain to Atlanta so overall Atlnta increases their payroll, loses three top assets and Exelby might make 180* turn and becomes great player, even without that Atlanta still loses this trade long term and even short term, I don't see why they should panic at this stage they have great future and don't need to take any risks yet.

Habs4ever is offline  
Old
05-07-2005, 02:41 AM
  #33
andora
Registered User
 
andora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Illuminating Prince
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to andora

andora is offline  
Old
05-07-2005, 02:53 AM
  #34
Safir*
 
Safir*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Turkmenistan
Posts: 13,959
vCash: 500
I think you don't value the Sens too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
Kovalchuck >> Hossa ---> They're rebuilding not contendin, having hossa is wash for them, and at hossa's age Kovalchuck will be better offensive threat.
Kovy is the better score, but Hossa plays the better allround game.
Quote:
Lehtonen = Chara -----> some people will disagre and yes chara is franchise player but selecting lehtonenen 2nd overall does count for something right, two years ago chara wasn't star player either, given age difference i'd say lehtonen has similar trade value, despite inflated goaltenders marjet, its hard to find clutch goalie this days.
Chara as a Sen developed into a Top-5 defenseman in the NHL. He's one these players that are untouchable and Lehtonen is on he ways to be that kind of player for the Thrashers.
Quote:
Coburn = Alfredson, Alfie is a great player but selecting Coburn in top ten does count for something right, and Coburn hasn't done anything wrong yet, ya i'd agree Alfredson is great player, but i'd have to say even great players in their 30's won't command more then top ten pick unless they are leading the league in points.
A unproven WHL'er is equal to an established NHL'er. C'mon man.

Quote:
Now Exelby might just be throw in without much gain to Atlanta so overall Atlnta increases their payroll, loses three top assets and Exelby might make 180* turn and becomes great player, even without that Atlanta still loses this trade long term and even short term, I don't see why they should panic at this stage they have great future and don't need to take any risks yet.
First you rally hard for the Thrashers and than you call XLB a throw in?

As a fan of both teams I have to say that I would veto the deal from the POV of the Sens and the Thrashers.

Safir* is offline  
Old
05-07-2005, 09:16 AM
  #35
wedge
Registered User
 
wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: victoriaville
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,274
vCash: 500
value-wise it's fair

but what I don't like about these proposals in this board is how everyone think teams will trade their young superstars like Kovalchuk, Nash, Thornton, Gaborik, Hossa, etc... That never happens. A team like Atlanta is building it's franchise around Kovalchuk and Heatley. There is no way either one of them gets traded.

wedge is offline  
Old
05-07-2005, 04:15 PM
  #36
IdiotsPickedMyName*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO
I don't get why the Sens would pass on this?

Kovalchuk - Spezza - Havlat

That'd be your #1 line.. all budding young superstars.. that'd be great pieces to build around. It gives the Sens a real solid goalie down the road as well.. right now they're borderline contenders, but give that deal 2 years and they're favourites, are they not ?

Easy we already have a number one line of Havlat-Spezza-Hossa. And as stated before Hossa is a much more complete player than Kovalchuk. From a sens POV No way we would trade away guys with valuable playoff experience for guys with none when were trying to win a cup.

IdiotsPickedMyName* is offline  
Old
05-10-2005, 01:02 PM
  #37
Kesler Kills Kommies
Registered User
 
Kesler Kills Kommies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,575
vCash: 500
no thanks from altanta, it would be very stupid of them to give up their young goalie

Kesler Kills Kommies is offline  
Old
05-10-2005, 02:22 PM
  #38
Hold the Pickles
Registered User
 
Hold the Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 03-K64
Country: United States
Posts: 2,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
I'd feel guilty if we did that trade...
No doubt, maybe, just maybe the Sens don't do this from a chemistry perspective, but value-wise Sens make out like bandits.

Doesn't matter, cause no way in hell ATL does this trade. One of the highest upside forwards in the game and one of the highest upside goalies in the game going away in one trade--Let alone Coburn.


Last edited by Hold the Pickles: 05-10-2005 at 02:30 PM.
Hold the Pickles is offline  
Old
05-10-2005, 05:37 PM
  #39
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army
 
Peter Sidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky371
To OTT : Kari Lehtonen, Braydon Coburn, Ilya Kovalchuk, Garnet Exelby.
To ATL : Zdeno Chara, Marian Hossa, Daniel Alfredsson.

Sens gets young #1 goaltender, franchise foward and future 1st D-Pairing guy.
Atl gets its big defensman, a very good foward to replace Kovalchuk and still young, and a born leader in Alfredsson. Nurminem still a good goalie.
Value wise it is very lop sided in Ottawa favour.

Lehtonen is the most valuable asset in Atlanta (yes more than Heatley and Kovalchuk) because I have no doubt he is going to be the next Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur - clutch goalies when you cups not scoring. We are certainly not going to trade a potential 10 years of steller goaltending after suffering the past six years of medicore and inconsistent play in net.

Atlanta lacks talent on D so it would absolutely make no sense to trade Exelby and Coburn. The potential of Coburn and very good consistent play of Exelby is worth more than an excellent Chara in my own opinion.

Kovalchuk for Hossa is a wash at the moment and like most people I would prefer Kovalchuk because he is younger and as scary as it seems has the scope to improve and get even better.

Alfredsson a great player but too be honest he isn't needed in Atlanta as we've already got veterans like McEachern, Kozlov and Mellanby capable of providing leadership and scoring.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline  
Old
05-10-2005, 06:16 PM
  #40
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz
Value wise it is very lop sided in Ottawa favour.

Lehtonen is the most valuable asset in Atlanta (yes more than Heatley and Kovalchuk) because I have no doubt he is going to be the next Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur - clutch goalies when you cups not scoring. We are certainly not going to trade a potential 10 years of steller goaltending after suffering the past six years of medicore and inconsistent play in net.

Atlanta lacks talent on D so it would absolutely make no sense to trade Exelby and Coburn. The potential of Coburn and very good consistent play of Exelby is worth more than an excellent Chara in my own opinion.

Alfredsson a great player but too be honest he isn't needed in Atlanta as we've already got veterans like McEachern, Kozlov and Mellanby capable of providing leadership and scoring.
Some of this is just ridiculous, to be blunt.

You have "no doubt" that Lehtonen is gong to be the next Roy or Brodeur, eh? Good luck with that one. Yet another example of a shiny new prospect being promoted to HOF status before he does anything whatsoever in the NHL.

Coburn and Exelby > Chara? Again, good luck with that one. If either player accomplishes half of what Chara has already done, you will be very, very lucky.

And, players like Kozlov and Mellanby mean that you don't need an excellent two-way winger like Alfredsson? EVERY team in the NHL would love to have that player.

Yikes! This is one heck of a biased post!

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
05-11-2005, 12:34 PM
  #41
Pure Slaughter Value
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 1,906
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO
I don't get why the Sens would pass on this?

Kovalchuk - Spezza - Havlat

That'd be your #1 line.. all budding young superstars.. that'd be great pieces to build around. It gives the Sens a real solid goalie down the road as well.. right now they're borderline contenders, but give that deal 2 years and they're favourites, are they not ?
They should be gunning for the Cup with the talent they have right now and their progress in the po's. Killing chemistry like this would ensure that Ottawa would have to "semi-rebuild" instead of "tinker" and the Cup would be out of the question.

Pure Slaughter Value is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 09:17 AM
  #42
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Ever
Actually, I think the Sens lose this trade:

Chara>>>>>Exelby
Hossa=Kovalchuk
Alfreddson>>>Lehtonen (right now, but it's hard to compare a forward and a goalie)

No way this gets done. Ottawa loses it's best forward, best defenseman, and captain for Atlanta's best forward, a possible #1 goalie, and a good prospect. If I were a Sens fan, I wouldn't even consider it. Boston could give you Raycroft for Alfreddson or Havlat though...
I would say value wise, considering age and potential, Lehtonen is about as valuable as Ovechkin right now. Considering that Alfie is a free agent with another year left on his contract, you might want to reverse those arrows to Lehtonen>>>Alfreddson. Also, Kovalchuk is definitely better than Hossa, a clear upgrade in ability right now, and is younger. No argument on Chara.

Considering age and salary, Chara, Hossa and Alfredson for Lehtonen and Kovalchuk is close, but would still need to be sweetened if I were the Thrashers GM. While it helps Atlanta right now, they clearly lose the deal in the long run. Were talking about a decade or so of Lehtonen and eight years of Kovalchuk, for a year of Alfredson, maybe two for Chara and four for Hossa before they all become UFA's.

MojoJojo is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 12:24 PM
  #43
DARKSIDE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
This trade takes Ottawa out of Stanley Cup contention. Kovalchuk is great and the two kids are excellent prospects, but giving up Hossa and Chara would hurt more then help the Sens at the present time.

DARKSIDE is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 12:32 PM
  #44
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
I would say value wise, considering age and potential, Lehtonen is about as valuable as Ovechkin right now. Considering that Alfie is a free agent with another year left on his contract, you might want to reverse those arrows to Lehtonen>>>Alfreddson. Also, Kovalchuk is definitely better than Hossa, a clear upgrade in ability right now, and is younger. No argument on Chara.
So what if say Alfredsson had signed a 5 yr deal deal last year? so he's still got 4 yrs left on it with the 1st year being the lockout year?

Would him being 4 more yrs away from FA then make Alfredsson more valuable?

NFITO is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.