HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kostitsyn against his 2003 draft collegues

Old
10-29-2010, 01:26 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

vCash: 500
we should just accept that 03 draft had enough talent to make a lot of teams in the league happy. what were we supposed to do? draft everyone else?

i bet even if we picked getzlaf, we'd be comparinng him to parise and carter until our fingers bled. unless we picked the undisputed best choice via hindsight, we'd still whine about something.

hey at least we didn't pick MAF first. and looking at that top ten....about half the names in there aren't 'that' big of a deal. most of the guys we cry about who are legit awesome were picked after us, so there's still a bunch of other teams that could half-regret their top 10 pick, but in general we should all be satisfied. no one anticipated the 11-25 spots being so strong.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 02:47 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
Andrei did have some injury woes though as well, plus he takes meds for his epilepsy, and you could tell he was tentative after he got concussed or whatever. I always thought the problem with him was confidence not heart, I bet we would have seen more of this Andrei last year but his brother was a huge distraction, partly AK's fault for letting it get to him but still blood is thicker than water.

He has always had top end talent and now it seems like he believes it as well, which is good for the Habs and us.
Yeah, I'm concerned about that epilepsy thing. I suspect Kovalev's heart condition is why he seldom gives 100% as well. Not sure why we didn't take the big, righthanded centerman (Getzlaf) over an epileptic Belarussian. His release was that tempting I guess. But release does not work without footwork, which he does not seem to have. If he has a wide open chance, I like the odds, but he is not a creater of his own shot. Which again begs the question, why not the big, mean guy with hands and vision?

Imagine Getlaf in the CH beating up Sundin, Bergeron, Savard, (insert unfortunate chump)... sigh... I really like what our scouting has done otherwise though (other than not outbidding Lou for Parise... I mean, how do you NOT outbid Lou??)

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:19 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

epilepsy is one of those things that mattered 50 years ago. advancements in medicine and pharmaceuticals have taken the threat away and rendered many conditions "obsolete".

brb my polio is acting up again.

Old
10-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Teufelsdreck

Were Getzlaf, Carter, or Parise ranked as high as #10 on any report? Would another team have picked one of them at #0? I wonder. I believe Parise was picked quite a few slots lower in the first round. Also, not all of the higher picks turned out to be as good as Kotitsyn.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Wonder if anyone noticed but some guy called Marc-Andre Fleury was drafted in 2003 and he has NO goal since that time!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 06:23 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

how did he actually go first anyway

Old
10-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Only time I remember hearing about it in the press was an article early in Sergei's junior career. The article quoted one of his teammates who said he sometimes drove Sergei to practise in his old banger and contrasted that to the designer suits and top of the line Audi (I think) that Sergei had. I think it was in a London paper but could be wrong.
I think that player was David Bolland and if I remember correctly Sergei's favorite performence artist was Bon Jovi.

I remember hearing about it on the radio when I lived near London.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Were Getzlaf, Carter, or Parise ranked as high as #10 on any report? Would another team have picked one of them at #0? I wonder. I believe Parise was picked quite a few slots lower in the first round. Also, not all of the higher picks turned out to be as good as Kotitsyn.
Parise at 17, Getzlaf at 19.

I never really paid too much attention to rankings until the 2005 draft, since we finally had a top-5 pick.

Wikipedia's entry on Parise says he was ranked 9th among North American skaters by the Central Scouting Bureau, but that doesn't really tell us much, I guess. Except that he would've likely been past tenth in rankings, all players considered.

Apparently several people (or else one main source that others followed) had Getzlaf ranked #5. No idea how he fell so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Wonder if anyone noticed but some guy called Marc-Andre Fleury was drafted in 2003 and he has NO goal since that time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
how did he actually go first anyway
I would never draft a goalie first overall. Too unpredictable in their development, and seem to take longer to mature.

Last edited by Jedrik: 10-31-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:50 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
CSS had Getzlaf at #5, Parise at #9, Carter at....#27. 4 picks behind....Lapierre at #23 while Bergeron was at #28. Urquhart at #32.

Kostitsyn was #3 Euro behind Zherdev and Michalek. But honestly, looking back, it doesn't mean much based on the fact that the following guys behind him were Chernikh, Glazachev, Mirnov, Shafigulin, Tunik, Nilsson, Barinka, Kosmachev....not a great Euro year.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:48 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Exactly. I'm pretty sure some teams are just lucky that picking low in the draft gave them the chance to pick a player that they would have maybe never taken if they were higher. The only player that we COULD have taken is Carter because he was chosen the round after I think.

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 02:10 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
CSS had Getzlaf at #5, Parise at #9, Carter at....#27. 4 picks behind....Lapierre at #23 while Bergeron was at #28. Urquhart at #32.

Kostitsyn was #3 Euro behind Zherdev and Michalek. But honestly, looking back, it doesn't mean much based on the fact that the following guys behind him were Chernikh, Glazachev, Mirnov, Shafigulin, Tunik, Nilsson, Barinka, Kosmachev....not a great Euro year.
It was one of those years where there was tons of talent to choose from. Very, very deep draft.

Kosti would've gone higher than 10th but he had some kind of injury that pushed him down to us.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:01 PM
samsquanch9*

In 2003, we could've drafted these players in round 1:
Jeff Carter
Brent Seabrook
Zach Parise
Ryan Getzlaf
Ryan Kesler
Mike Richards
Corey Perry

But no... we drafted Andrei freakin' Kostitsyn...
FML!

Also Shea Weber and Patrice Bergeron in round 2!!!

We could've had:
Zach Parise
Shea Weber

But instead we got:
Andrei Kostistyn
Maxim Lapierre

Bit of a fail....

Last edited by samsquanch9*: 11-04-2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: I missed a few things
samsquanch9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:42 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsboycanada View Post
Jeff Carter
Brent Seabrook
Zach Parise
Ryan Getzlaf
Ryan Kesler
Mike Richards
Corey Perry

FML!

We could've had:
Zach Parise
Shea Weber

But instead we got:
Andrei Kostistyn
Maxim Lapierre

Bit of a fail....
Well we got two capable NHLers, could have been worse. And by the way, this must be the most beaten to death subject on HFboards.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Bieber fever

Quote:
Jeff Carter
Brent Seabrook
Zach Parise
Ryan Getzlaf
Ryan Kesler
Mike Richards
Corey Perry

FML!

We could've had:
Zach Parise
Shea Weber

But instead we got:
Andrei Kostistyn
Maxim Lapierre

Bit of a fail....
we drafted Cory Urquhart ( 40th ) before Lapierre (61th).

So it's AK and Urquhart instead of Parize and webber....you arguement is invalide

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Jeff Carter
Brent Seabrook
Zach Parise
Ryan Getzlaf
Ryan Kesler
Mike Richards
Corey Perry

FML!

We could've had:
Zach Parise
Shea Weber

But instead we got:
Andrei Kostistyn
Maxim Lapierre

Bit of a fail....
Your approach is full of fail.

You can't look at every draft pick a team has made and see if a better player was drafted later, that's ridiculous. I'm sure that if you point out the BEST DRAFTING TEAM IN THE WHOLE NHL, I can look at some of their picks and tear them apart by pointing out players they COULD or SHOULD have drafted.

The Habs are one of the best drafting teams since Timmins arrived(and 400% better than 12-15 years ago), why can't people just be happy we have AK and not Hugh Jessiman, Brian Boyle or M-A Pouliot.

Even Nashville that did draft Weber had THREE OTHER picks BEFORE him who were inferior in Suter, Klein and Glazachev(who has never stepped on NHL ice!!), if they were so damn smart why not draft him at #7 instead of #49.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:48 PM
samsquanch9*

I geuss your right... my bad, but Philly has done amazingly in the last 10 years...

samsquanch9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I geuss your right... my bad, but Philly has done amazingly in the last 10 years...
Yeah but they missed out on D.Roy, Cammalleri, Plekanec, Pominville, Ehrhoff, Jokinen, Laich by drafting Jeff Woywitka.

They missed out on P.Stanstny by drafting Downie.

They missed out on Frantzen, Polak, Versteeg, Callahan, Brouwer and Streit Rob Bellamy.

...se what happens when you look at drafting with a critical eye?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Well we got two capable NHLers, could have been worse. And by the way, this must be the most beaten to death subject on HFboards.
The theme that's beaten to death is "look who we could've drafted" which all fanbases except a few have been singing about that draft (this includes the post you were quoting, obviously). I'm sick of that myself, but most of this thread has been about Andrei's strong play so far this season, and that he's far from bust status.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

The idea is to get a great player and build on him no matter what round he's picked in. Like in 2003 when we drafted Halak and are now building our team around him......

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote