HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rollie Melanson Appreciation Thread

Old
10-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Reign Nateo

vCash: 500
Yeah like what he's brought to the table so far. Both goalies look calmer and more composed. Luongo in particular had a bad habit of over-committing and being too aggressive to the shooter. He's 6-3. In a butterfly he's going to cover the majority of the net regardless, no point in storming out to the circles every time leaving the back-door prone.

Stay in the net and be composed. The rest will take care of itself. I expect Luongo to have a solid year in this circumstance. He's got a full-time coach to keep an eye on him, and a hungry young goalie nipping at his heels.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Explain that to those lining up to leap off the Lion's Gate Bridge after a 1-2-1 start.
Would be sweet if they did. Easier to get tickets for the masses!

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Towelie*

I cannot believe that people actually think the goaltender coach has had a significant effect on the goaltending.

The Canucks, thus far, have been playing a much more defensively responsible style, and have been limiting scoring chances. Last game was a perfect example where Schneider didn't face that many scoring chances.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Not that I can say the change has had an effect yet I will say it seems like a good gameplan. Luongo seemed to be getting bumped more and more over the last couple years and though some people like to attribute it to Hordichuk's lack of a vicious right hand I think it was pretty obvious Luongo was the one initiating a lot of that contact. Late last season and into the playoffs he looked to be lunging out at the players in front of his crease and causing more problems for himself than he needed to. So far there seems to be much less contact around his crease and IMO it will only help keep him focused on what's most important, the puck.

Besides, leaving the back door open with Bieksa around is never a good idea - not to mention the defense as a whole without Mitchell and Salo will be more prone to losing their checks around the net.

I like the change - but we'll need to see a lot more games before we know whether it helped or hindered Luongo's game.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Laich Anthem View Post
I cannot believe that people actually think the goaltender coach has had a significant effect on the goaltending.
Really? It's pretty obvious to me. Luongo looks more comfortable and composed deep in the net. Ask a goalie, they'd tell you different. Keeps them focused and stops them from straying from their style. There's a reason almost every team has a full time goalie coach, and there's a reason Luongo and many other goalies spends weeks training with their favourite coaches in the off-season. Hell Luongo had his favourite coach in his Florida contract demands! Whether it's more mental than physical, it helps. Significantly.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 04:07 PM
xtr3m

vCash: 50
Yes, Luongo does look different. Deeper, less flashy, but more effective. A Halak but bigger.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 05:22 PM
TacitEndorsement

The biggest difference I've noticed other than his depth in net is how he moves laterally. He no longer shuffles around his crease, opting for a LOT more t-pushing instead. It makes his movement look way smoother and more composed.

TacitEndorsement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Really? It's pretty obvious to me. Luongo looks more comfortable and composed deep in the net. Ask a goalie, they'd tell you different. Keeps them focused and stops them from straying from their style. There's a reason almost every team has a full time goalie coach, and there's a reason Luongo and many other goalies spends weeks training with their favourite coaches in the off-season. Hell Luongo had his favourite coach in his Florida contract demands! Whether it's more mental than physical, it helps. Significantly.
I can't believe this. Just take a look at tonight - Our best defensemen is out, and Ballard as well. We are giving up more chances with our patchwork defense and not surprisingly, Luongo is 'playing' worse.

It has nothing, or very little, to do with goaltending coaches. There are definitely times when goaltending coaches mean more - like when goalies are developing - but at this point in Luongo's career, I really cannot believe that it has much of an effect.

Old
10-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
There are definitely times when goaltending coaches mean more - like when goalies are developing - but at this point in Luongo's career, I really cannot believe that it has much of an effect.
What's the point of posting that if you clearly don't know anything about the subject. Several (even older) goaltenders have changed their style of play and made big adjustments to their game. In fact, most goaltenders make small adjustments every offseason.

Last edited by Tiranis: 10-19-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:07 PM
VanEric

This is going to morph into a Fire Rollie thread.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
What's the point of posting that if you clearly don't know anything about the subject. Several (even older) goaltenders have changed their style of play and made big adjustments to their game. In fact, most goaltenders make small adjustments every offseason.
And you know something about the subject? This game only vindicates my thoughts. Goaltending coaches may have a small affect on a goalies game, but proportionately speaking, they have barely any affect in comparison to the style of game a team plays and their commitment, or lack thereof, to defense.

Old
10-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Yes, Luongo does look different. Deeper, less flashy, but more effective. A Halak but bigger.
I don't recall Halak giving up 14 goals in 3 games.

Old
10-19-2010, 10:46 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
This is going to morph into a Fire Rollie thread.
Not if he grooms Schneids into the goalie that wins us the cup!

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 11:06 PM
DoubleTrouble

Loungo does not look happy.. I'm not sure if he was pissed he didn't get the Cane's game start or what, but he does not look happy.

DoubleTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:57 AM
Illmatic Stoic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble View Post
Loungo does not look happy.. I'm not sure if he was pissed he didn't get the Cane's game start or what, but he does not look happy.
he let in 6 goals on 18 shots i think, why should he be happy... i know our defense with terrible but 6 goals on 18 shots is bad and i usually defend him. thats 3 not good enough games in a row for him. perhaps playing schnieder more will light a fire under his belly?

Illmatic Stoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Alan Jackson

The timing of this thread and the "Rypien is Growing on Me" thread is...unfortunate.

Alan Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:33 PM
David71

whatever he's teaching to both goalies, its working.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Soth

vCash: 833
Great move by Gillis to pick this guy up

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:54 AM
MarkMM

Quote:
I can't believe this. Just take a look at tonight - Our best defensemen is out, and Ballard as well. We are giving up more chances with our patchwork defense and not surprisingly, Luongo is 'playing' worse.

It has nothing, or very little, to do with goaltending coaches. There are definitely times when goaltending coaches mean more - like when goalies are developing - but at this point in Luongo's career, I really cannot believe that it has much of an effect.
Sean Burke talked about how he re-juvenated his career by changing his approach to the game (big believer in visualization techniques).

Eddie Belfour and Curtis Joseph have both talked about how they needed to change their styles late in their careers to keep up with more advanced techniques (it had something to do with pushing off, and how it makes a huge difference whether you stand up first with your leading or trailing leg).

Tiger Woods completely re-invented his swing (this is a much talked about fact) long after he became a star, when he realized there were better ways of doing it.

Sorry, but your assertion just doesn't stand up to reality.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote