HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill VII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-04-2010, 09:16 PM
  #926
Youngblood93
Registered User
 
Youngblood93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Probably Williams. Brown has the puck on his stick too much to compliment the other two.
agreed

Youngblood93 is offline  
Old
11-04-2010, 09:25 PM
  #927
scramble91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Probably Williams. Brown has the puck on his stick too much to compliment the other two.
It would have to be Williams since he is good at digging pucks out of he corners and has underrated vision.

scramble91 is offline  
Old
11-04-2010, 11:54 PM
  #928
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,468
vCash: 500
oops wrong thread.

johnjm22 is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 03:12 AM
  #929
Cruel11
Son, just don't.
 
Cruel11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 15,970
vCash: 500
Heck no!

Quote:
Barry: I arrived at Staples I was told by a member of the press that two sources, one from Canada, claimed that Calgary had offered Jarome Iginla to the Kings in exchange for Brayden Schenn, Andrei Loktionov, Thomas Hickey and the Kings 1st round pick. He also went on to say that this will probably be confirmed by a legitimate Canadian newspaper. Calgary fans will think I'm crazy, or maybe its the food poisoning I got tonight from a bad Steak Sandwich, but I wouldn't do that deal.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matth...ered/125/31233


Edit: I don't believe anything Barry writes anymore, but I thought this was..... interesting.


Last edited by Cruel11: 11-05-2010 at 03:25 AM.
Cruel11 is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 03:14 AM
  #930
Thrice
Coyote Killer
 
Thrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Funny stuff.

Thrice is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 09:12 AM
  #931
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,830
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Iginla is not the winger that the Kings need, especially that particular trade "rumor". Smyth already fills the role of a leader and over paid veteran, Dean would have to move Smyth first to take on a contract that large. $7 million for 2 years would make it extremely hard to keep Johnson, Simmonds and Doughty long term.

No thanks.

Sydor25 is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 11:34 AM
  #932
DIEHARD the King fan
Registered User
 
DIEHARD the King fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: blueline to slot
Country: United States
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Iginla is not the winger that the Kings need, especially that particular trade "rumor". Smyth already fills the role of a leader and over paid veteran, Dean would have to move Smyth first to take on a contract that large. $7 million for 2 years would make it extremely hard to keep Johnson, Simmonds and Doughty long term.

No thanks.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 11:39 AM
  #933
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Barry writes what he hears.

I agree though that making a deal for Iginla would be a mistake at this point and giving up as big of a package as is rumored would be the most ridiculous overpayment I have seen in a long long time.

We simply don't need another RW, love Iggy but not at the anchor of a cap hit that the flames mistakenly gave him and at nowhere near the asking price.

etherialone is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 12:05 PM
  #934
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
I'm torn.

Certainly that package is a bit too much. 3 first round picks and a late round gem is too much to swallow.

Take out Schenn or Loktionov and I'm listening closely.

Salary cap-wise, we could work it out. It wouldn't be easy, but it wouldn't put us in a Hawks or Devils size hole or anything.

To get Iginla without losing a single piece of the LA roster this year.... hot damn that makes us a ridiculously scary team.

If we were to trade for Iginla, I would expect a cup before his contract expires. So its hard to say since its a move that can only be really evaluated in hindsight. If we win the cup, who gives a crap that we lost one of Schenn/Loktionov and Hickey and an anonymous pick? If we don't win, then yeah it would look bad as some of our better futures would be gone. Which isn't to say we couldn't acquire other futures in that time though. Its not like trading Schenn or Loki means we'll never have another good center prospect.

Ultimately, a run at the cup now >>> hoping your prospects will get there in 3 or 5 years.

And I think the sentiment "we already have one overpaid vet in Smyth" is totally asinine.

JDM is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 01:55 PM
  #935
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Considering the fact that Havlat is not working out and he's locked up for 5 more years I have a hunch that they don't want to be tied down to him. I think they'd take picks and prospects if they get to the point that Havlat's agent is attempting to get to. I'd give up Thomas Hickey and a third round pick.
That'd be something that could wait until the offseason if I'm Minnesota. They have a relatively thin reserve list, but they have a young defense so I'm not sure they'd want Hickey. Zidlicky is signed up for a few more years, Schultz is still in his 20s, Burns/Barker are in their mid 20s, and two of their top three prospects (Scandella/Cuma) are defensemen. They're pretty thin at forward and seemingly went out of their way to draft four forwards in the top 2 rounds of the last draft.

Brodeur is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 02:00 PM
  #936
Mr Irreverent
Misunderstood
 
Mr Irreverent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,307
vCash: 500
I wouldn't trade for Iggy for Brayden Schenn and 2nd rounder, let alone the bullcrap that was listed on the blog.

Mr Irreverent is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 02:01 PM
  #937
2 14 12 34
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
As a Flames fan even I would think that is a little too much.

If a trade was going down I would think it would be based upon Schenn and the first with pieces added around to make it work.

Maybe one of Lotikinov/Hickey but probably not both unless a bidding war heats up and the Kings really want him.

For Kings fans though he is a player that you would want, it has soured in Calgary but you can see that something is just wrong with the team as a whole and Iggy will bounce back with a change of scenery.

If you feel you can win a cup in the next two years with the team you have, you add Iggy and it will probably happen. Plus then if you win the cup losing Schenn and another prospect plus the 1st does not hurt at all.

In Iggy and Smyth you would have two guys who are playoff warriors and they would kill to win the Stanley Cup.

2 14 12 34 is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 02:13 PM
  #938
DIEHARD the King fan
Registered User
 
DIEHARD the King fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: blueline to slot
Country: United States
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I'm torn.

Certainly that package is a bit too much. 3 first round picks and a late round gem is too much to swallow.

Take out Schenn or Loktionov and I'm listening closely.

Salary cap-wise, we could work it out. It wouldn't be easy, but it wouldn't put us in a Hawks or Devils size hole or anything.

To get Iginla without losing a single piece of the LA roster this year.... hot damn that makes us a ridiculously scary team.

If we were to trade for Iginla, I would expect a cup before his contract expires. So its hard to say since its a move that can only be really evaluated in hindsight. If we win the cup, who gives a crap that we lost one of Schenn/Loktionov and Hickey and an anonymous pick? If we don't win, then yeah it would look bad as some of our better futures would be gone. Which isn't to say we couldn't acquire other futures in that time though. Its not like trading Schenn or Loki means we'll never have another good center prospect.

Ultimately, a run at the cup now >>> hoping your prospects will get there in 3 or 5 years.

And I think the sentiment "we already have one overpaid vet in Smyth" is totally asinine.
Careful, your little statement there veers directly away from the DL philosophy and straight into the old KINGS mindset of years past.

Of course the difference here, arguably, is that we are closer now than ever (but once) before. Iggy is a very good player, who certainly would be awesome on Kopi's wing, but even giving up one of Schenn/Loktionov, Hickey and a 1st is too much. I want to hold on to both Schenn and Lokti, but they can happily have Hickey, the 2011 1st, and heck even our second. Not worried about the money because of what comes off the books next year, but IS IGGY REALLY WHAT WE NEED? CAN HE PLAY THE LEFT SIDE, or is Brownie just as productivew on the left?

DIEHARD the King fan is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 02:19 PM
  #939
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Careful, your little statement there veers directly away from the DL philosophy and straight into the old KINGS mindset of years past.

Of course the difference here, arguably, is that we are closer now than ever (but once) before. Iggy is a very good player, who certainly would be awesome on Kopi's wing, but even giving up one of Schenn/Loktionov, Hickey and a 1st is too much. I want to hold on to both Schenn and Lokti, but they can happily have Hickey, the 2011 1st, and heck even our second. Not worried about the money because of what comes off the books next year, but IS IGGY REALLY WHAT WE NEED? CAN HE PLAY THE LEFT SIDE, or is Brownie just as productivew on the left?
LOL, when did you turn?

I'm not necessarily pro Iginla trade, it all depends.

My point there was that at some point, good futures will have to be given up to bolster a cup run. Whenever that time is, I hope Dean has the stones to make a tough trade like that would be. The question is does getting Iginla put us as a front runner for the cup? I think it might.

JDM is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 03:17 PM
  #940
jeremywilhelm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 980
vCash: 500
Flames fan here. Iginla would be that piece that puts you over the top. I would gladly cheer for the Kings if Iginla was moved there.

I find it sad that Sutter has pretty much guaranteed Iginla will never win a cup in Calgary.

jeremywilhelm is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 03:34 PM
  #941
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,830
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
And I think the sentiment "we already have one overpaid vet in Smyth" is totally asinine.
Having Smyth and Iginla taking up $13.25 million (22% of the total cap) is way too much for players of their age. There is no bonus cushion next season and Doughty, Johnson and Simmonds all need new contracts. Williams increased production this season will more than make up for the loss of Frolov's 19 goals.

I would rather have Schenn, Loktionov, Hickey and the first round pick. You may have to add another player as a cap casualty if the Kings acquired Iginla with that proposed trade. Without Schenn, you would have to sign another center for next season. The Kings would be weaker after that trade.

The Kings are the youngest team in the NHL, have you forgotten how the Kings have always traded away their young talent for aging, overpaid veterans? Hopefully, Dean will not make the same mistakes. I would rather Dean take a shot at a deadline deal. Richards makes more sense as a rental for a chance at the cup. Dean will have a much better idea by the deadline.

Sydor25 is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 03:36 PM
  #942
no name
Registered User
 
no name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 11,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Heck no!



http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matth...ered/125/31233


Edit: I don't believe anything Barry writes anymore, but I thought this was..... interesting.
Why wouldn't you believe him? He is right about the Kings more than anyone out there. Besides, what's not to believe? He's passing on information he hears. He didn't say that a trade is actually in the works.

no name is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 03:46 PM
  #943
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Exactly the point no name.

Barry writes what he hears and is a passionate Kings fan, just because he writes something that he has heard doesn't mean that he is saying take it to the bank, I think he is reporting what he hears and adding in his opinion on what will go down accordingly.

I remember a time when we had nobody and I mean nobody other than Stu Nahan to tell us about the Kings and that was way after the fact (omitting Bob on game day on KLAC) and I am happy that we have so many and varied sources for information today.

From Zad and JDM to Hammond, Barry and the people who post here I think that they all rule for making it so much more entertaining to follow our team than ever before. I tend to just be thankful when I read anything that is posted and then rely on my own pov to determine what I think is most likely to happen.

etherialone is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 03:48 PM
  #944
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,830
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Careful, your little statement there veers directly away from the DL philosophy and straight into the old KINGS mindset of years past.

Of course the difference here, arguably, is that we are closer now than ever (but once) before. Iggy is a very good player, who certainly would be awesome on Kopi's wing, but even giving up one of Schenn/Loktionov, Hickey and a 1st is too much. I want to hold on to both Schenn and Lokti, but they can happily have Hickey, the 2011 1st, and heck even our second. Not worried about the money because of what comes off the books next year, but IS IGGY REALLY WHAT WE NEED? CAN HE PLAY THE LEFT SIDE, or is Brownie just as productivew on the left?
You should be with Schenn gone and having to sign a center, Doughty, Simmonds and Johnson.

$7 million for 2+ years is a lot for Iginla.

Let's see some rosters for next season with some realistic salaries for the RFAs + Iginla. I don't think it would be easy. Dean didn't want to go above $6.15 for Kovalchuk because he was afraid of the cap with his RFAs and people want to add Iginla at $7 million for 2 more years?

Sydor25 is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 03:53 PM
  #945
eleventy
Registered User
 
eleventy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 742
vCash: 500
Is it cap hit + age for Iginla that worries people? Or just the cap hit? Or what we'd have to give up to get Iginla?

Would you guys be willing to give up considerably less to get someone like Vanek here (not comparing the two)?

eleventy is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 03:54 PM
  #946
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
$7ml is just too much money for Iggy.

And with 2 years left to pay it the impact will absolutely trickle down through our roster so I would just pass.

Iggy is great but there are other players that we could deal for who would be better fits and cost us less. No promises that any of them are or will be available but then since Iggy isn't a perfect fit anyways.....

etherialone is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 03:58 PM
  #947
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 12,294
vCash: 500
I wouldn't even consider a top prospect and 1st rounder for Iggy, he is coming off a low scoring season. And is a year older.

damacles1156 is online now  
Old
11-05-2010, 04:13 PM
  #948
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Having Smyth and Iginla taking up $13.25 million (22% of the total cap) is way too much for players of their age. There is no bonus cushion next season and Doughty, Johnson and Simmonds all need new contracts. Williams increased production this season will more than make up for the loss of Frolov's 19 goals.

I would rather have Schenn, Loktionov, Hickey and the first round pick. You may have to add another player as a cap casualty if the Kings acquired Iginla with that proposed trade. Without Schenn, you would have to sign another center for next season. The Kings would be weaker after that trade.

The Kings are the youngest team in the NHL, have you forgotten how the Kings have always traded away their young talent for aging, overpaid veterans? Hopefully, Dean will not make the same mistakes. I would rather Dean take a shot at a deadline deal. Richards makes more sense as a rental for a chance at the cup. Dean will have a much better idea by the deadline.
2 things.

1- It has nothing to do with replacing Frolov's 19 goals. THats erroneous. We needed to score more goals even WITH Frolov's 19 goals. Its about bolstering and increasing, not maintaining.

2- The history of Kings trading youth for overpaid vets argument is also a non sequitor. Making one or two KEY trades for great pieces of the puzzle, like an Iginla, is in no way shape or form the same as all the bad moves of the Taylor era. Just because you used to make the mistake of kissing on the first date in high school and getting slapped by 15 different girls, doesn't mean you shouldn't take a chance later on when the time and the girl is right.

JDM is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 04:17 PM
  #949
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 12,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
2 things.

1- It has nothing to do with replacing Frolov's 19 goals. THats erroneous. We needed to score more goals even WITH Frolov's 19 goals. Its about bolstering and increasing, not maintaining.

2- The history of Kings trading youth for overpaid vets argument is also a non sequitor. Making one or two KEY trades for great pieces of the puzzle, like an Iginla, is in no way shape or form the same as all the bad moves of the Taylor era. Just because you used to make the mistake of kissing on the first date in high school and getting slapped by 15 different girls, doesn't mean you shouldn't take a chance later on when the time and the girl is right.
We are talking about the Same Iggy right ? You know the one that barely cracked 30 goals last season, Looked slow and uninspired. Not to mention is like what now Fifty years old ? (Plays like it).

Or do you mean the Iggy of like 4 years ago.

damacles1156 is online now  
Old
11-05-2010, 04:21 PM
  #950
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleventy View Post
Is it cap hit + age for Iginla that worries people? Or just the cap hit? Or what we'd have to give up to get Iginla?

Would you guys be willing to give up considerably less to get someone like Vanek here (not comparing the two)?
Vanek, maybe. He is a true LW sniper with good hands and a solid skater. He is a little better than average two way player imo. Buf is rebuilding (even if they don't know it yet) and need help in an area that we are deep in (D).

Of course Semin is another name, while a rental he could cost less and with him coming off the books at the end of the year it could be a good thing.

There are a couple of other established sniper types that I think could work but, there are a couple of sniper high reward kids out there I would rather deal for and think that we could get one of them pretty cheap.

etherialone is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.