HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#13: Rangers @ Flyers - Thursday, Nov. 4, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
11-05-2010, 01:58 AM
mypunkrock

vCash: 500
The second quote from Bob:

"But if I don't play well, they won't like it."

This guy knows what is up.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 02:14 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
The second quote from Bob:

"But if I don't play well, they won't like it."

This guy knows what is up.
I think he is probably the least BS guy I've ever seen in a Flyers uniform. Knows the deal and let's others know that he knows.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 03:36 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I have to ask, and this is an IF, but if Carcillo does get suspended, who would replace him? Kalinski?

Old
11-05-2010, 03:55 AM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I have to ask, and this is an IF, but if Carcillo does get suspended, who would replace him? Kalinski?
Given the hoopla in Adirondack, and Kalinski being called out by the organization (along with Legein) I don't know if Kalinski would get the call.

I'd say Laliberte, maybe.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:57 AM
CanadianFlyersFan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Im gonna play a little bit of devils advocate here... do you guys think bob was really good or that our defense allowed him to be that good?
With Bob you know what your going to get. Rebounds are rare, and he's still getting use to the NA game. Ultra-Competitive and Composed, i.e stepping into Pittsburgh with a Pronger-less defence and beating the pens on home ice.. WOW! Bob is our best goalie and the defence only gives him a better opportunity to succeed which is great for his development.

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:02 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Honestly, I think that, for this game, the defense really helped him out. He came out too far to challenge shooters on a few occasions and he had some really bad rebounds towards the end of the game (one of which led to a goal against). He's been terrific this year though.
The beginning of the second period is considered "towards the end of the game" now?

I thought Bob had some pretty ugly rebounds early (one of which led to a goal against ), then wasn't really tested much, and then it seemed like he was swallowing the puck up in the third the few times he was tested. The one thing that's really impressed me about Bob these last few games is his puck handling. I find I don't scream in horror when he comes out of the crease to play the puck like I do when Boosh has done it this year.

Great game by practically everyone tonight. I so want JvR to get that gorilla off his back soon, because I don't like being pissed off at him. And I don't want him to be this year's Hartnell (did he just break up with his girlfriend? ).

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:42 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Given the hoopla in Adirondack, and Kalinski being called out by the organization (along with Legein) I don't know if Kalinski would get the call.

I'd say Laliberte, maybe.
Nodl could be ready by next game

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:52 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
The beginning of the second period is considered "towards the end of the game" now?

I thought Bob had some pretty ugly rebounds early (one of which led to a goal against ), then wasn't really tested much, and then it seemed like he was swallowing the puck up in the third the few times he was tested. The one thing that's really impressed me about Bob these last few games is his puck handling. I find I don't scream in horror when he comes out of the crease to play the puck like I do when Boosh has done it this year.

Great game by practically everyone tonight. I so want JvR to get that gorilla off his back soon, because I don't like being pissed off at him. And I don't want him to be this year's Hartnell (did he just break up with his girlfriend? ).
Those ugly rebounds he gave up were Leighton-esque at times. He had me thinking those rebounds might lose us the game at one point. I am really impressed by his mental game though (and I don't refer to any player's mental game much). He's always delivering awesome quotes and doing things on the ice that are pretty ballsy for someone in his position. I love that he helps out by playing the puck when he can.

I'm fine with JVR. Big guys like that need time to develop. He'll never be the Hartnell of last year just due to the fact that he doesn't take a bunch of stupid penalties.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:58 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Nodl could be ready by next game
Well that's great news.

Old
11-05-2010, 06:47 AM
Unstable

Re: Bob:

I noticed he's playing better positionally; i.e. not always as deep in his net.

I think that's the most important thing now. There's still time to work on his rebounds.

Remember that this guy is brand new not just to the NHL but to North American hockey. I think some people here are expecting too much too soon.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 07:22 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Bob's rebounds were a little messy at times. He also seems to swing too far across on the rebounds. There were maybe two times where he gave up an opposite rebound, swung too far over, and a dman (Carter once, I think) bailed him out.

Good news is he looks like he's only gonna get better.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 07:29 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Re: Bob:

I noticed he's playing better positionally; i.e. not always as deep in his net.

I think that's the most important thing now. There's still time to work on his rebounds.

Remember that this guy is brand new not just to the NHL but to North American hockey. I think some people here are expecting too much too soon.
Hah, I thought the same thing, but you can tell it's new to him. He was overly aggressive on some of these plays, which might explain some of the crazy rebounds. I'm sure Reese is going to work with him on that.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 07:43 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Bob's rebounds were a little messy at times. He also seems to swing too far across on the rebounds. There were maybe two times where he gave up an opposite rebound, swung too far over, and a dman (Carter once, I think) bailed him out.

Good news is he looks like he's only gonna get better.
Last night was the first time in a few games his rebound control was suspect. Prior to the Rangers game I thought Bob did a good job sucking up rebounds, or redirecting them to corner. Last night though, a lot were knocked to the slot, and he did over purse on a few second chances.

But yes, he's only getting better. I think the Flyers finally found their man.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:06 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Last night was the first time in a few games his rebound control was suspect. Prior to the Rangers game I thought Bob did a good job sucking up rebounds, or redirecting them to corner. Last night though, a lot were knocked to the slot, and he did over purse on a few second chances.

But yes, he's only getting better. I think the Flyers finally found their man.
Yea, I agree with you that he hasn't had the rebound "problem" all that often. Actually, my points were meant to be separate, but I didn't do a good job doing that. I have noticed that he can slide a little too far at times, rebound or no rebound. As I said, I'm not too worried.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:28 AM
jb**

The Rushkie has played very well. He still goes down to early and leaves that top shelf wide open. If he doesn’t fix that it will be a major problem imo. Much a like a rookie pitcher in baseball, he needs to go through the league 3x to get a much better read on where he is at. The results to date are fine. Carcillo sadly will probably get 1 game, the reason being they play the isles next and the league probably doesn’t want any nonsense. That being said if he is suspended I would love to see Shooter call up rinaldo oor Clackson just for that 1 game. They would be telling to the league to piss off imo if they did that.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:29 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

People here have typed "Giroux" and "Forsberg" in the same sentence before, and usually someone else has chimed in to calm things down.

But it's not an altogether unwarranted comparison. The vision is there. The creativity is there. The hands are there. The flat, crisp, accurate passing is there.

But the thing that gets me to linking them is when opponents take runs at Giroux and he sends them flying by just bracing himself. In the annals of somewhat small and highly skilled forwards, that is a quintessentially Forsbergian characteristic.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
The Rushkie has played very well. He still goes down to early and leaves that top shelf wide open. If he doesn’t fix that it will be a major problem imo. Much a like a rookie pitcher in baseball, he needs to go through the league 3x to get a much better read on where he is at. The results to date are fine. Carcillo sadly will probably get 1 game, the reason being they play the isles next and the league probably doesn’t want any nonsense. That being said if he is suspended I would love to see Shooter call up rinaldo oor Clackson just for that 1 game. They would be telling to the league to piss off imo if they did that.
To be honest a lot of goalies do that. He can get away with it because he has the right size but yes, he goes down a little too early but not on all shots.

The ability to stop 1st, 2nd and preparing him self while moving side to side for 3rd shot is freaking impressive. Rebound control was a little iffy in this one but NYR did have a few nice scoring chances.

It's between Neuvirth and Bobrovsky for Calder right now. Right now Neuvirth is just a little better. imo

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:46 AM
MrHockey1982

Rangers fans are extremely p$$%ed off hahahha!! I love it!!!!! LET'S GO FLYERS!!!!!!!!!!

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 09:06 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
People here have typed "Giroux" and "Forsberg" in the same sentence before, and usually someone else has chimed in to calm things down.

But it's not an altogether unwarranted comparison. The vision is there. The creativity is there. The hands are there. The flat, crisp, accurate passing is there.

But the thing that gets me to linking them is when opponents take runs at Giroux and he sends them flying by just bracing himself. In the annals of somewhat small and highly skilled forwards, that is a quintessentially Forsbergian characteristic.
That's why most people concede that Giroux is a miniFoppa. Forsberg's pure strength combined with his talent was what made him special, kind of like Lindros. That's a very rare combo. That Giroux is starting to show grit and throwing hits is very promising to me.

For me, the best part about Claude is his character. He's a fantastic player, but he still plays with the smile of a mite. That enthusiasm has to be infectious if it has even me grinning when he has the puck.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 09:11 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
That's why most people concede that Giroux is a miniFoppa. Forsberg's pure strength combined with his talent was what made him special, kind of like Lindros. That's a very rare combo. That Giroux is starting to show grit and throwing hits is very promising to me.

For me, the best part about Claude is his character. He's a fantastic player, but he still plays with the smile of a mite. That enthusiasm has to be infectious if it has even me grinning when he has the puck.
I said this 2 years ago, he may be the most talented flyer ever. Not the best but most talented as far as skill. I am hard pressed to come up with any names? Flocky hockey maybe

Old
11-05-2010, 09:25 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
If Carcillo does happen to be suspended, how much will that piss off the Islanders fans? They were looking forward to this game to get back at Briere and Carcillo and now they both might be out.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 09:35 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

vCash: 50
after looking at the replay several times, there's no way Carcillo should be suspended. Fedotenko was falling as Carcillo was coming in for the hit...it's unfortunate but I don't think it was an intentional head shot that the league is trying to crack down on.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 09:36 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If Carcillo does happen to be suspended, how much will that piss off the Islanders fans? They were looking forward to this game to get back at Briere and Carcillo and now they both might be out.
This is why shooter should thumb his nose at Campbell, if carcillo is suspended and call up rinaldo or clackson for 1 game only.

Old
11-05-2010, 09:52 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemen View Post
after looking at the replay several times, there's no way Carcillo should be suspended. Fedotenko was falling as Carcillo was coming in for the hit...it's unfortunate but I don't think it was an intentional head shot that the league is trying to crack down on.
I think it was incidental contact and he shouldn't even have to go through a conference call. As the ref told Fedotenko, don't duck next time!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 09:59 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post

I don't think the comparison is unwarranted at all. Now, I don't think Giroux is going to surpass Forsberg, particularly because he just doesn't have the size to, but they're games are strikingly similar.

The other Forsbergian characteristic of Giroux is his work along the walls. For a little guy, he does remarkably well.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote