HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Meszaros performance

Old
11-05-2010, 09:46 AM
alko

vCash: 500
Meszaros performance

are you satisfied with his performance?

after the season 2005/2006 he was touted as a promising star-calibre dman, but his progress slowed... how he looks like in Philly jersey?

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
are you satisfied with his performance?

after the season 2005/2006 he was touted as a promising star-calibre dman, but his progress slowed... how he looks like in Philly jersey?
He looked really solid last night, especially in light of his recent concussion.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 09:55 AM
jb**

He has played ok. Not great and certainly not bad. He isn’t going against the top players on the other team though. At some point they need to move him up and see what he can do to justify his salary. Unless they move someone I doubt he will get that chance. He has done nothing offensively, so disappointed in that aspect. That isn’t his main job though.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 09:59 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

he's played good, but he's still overpaid

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:02 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
He was brought in to solidify our third pairing and to possibly challenge for a top-4 spot. So far so good. If he was paid a million less, he'd pretty much be ideal for us.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:06 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Our third pairing hasn't made me feel like I need to **** my pants when they're on the ice, so that's a good thing.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:54 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Meszaros has done everything he possibly can do thus far.

He gets pucks to the net, he is playing great positionally and he is being physical.

He is only getting payed 800k more then Coburn, and has more of a proven offensive capability. I am perfectly find with that, especially if the Cap keeps rising.

KimiFerrari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:56 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I think Mez has done a fine job here so far. I hope he can add more on the PP when he gets the minutes in the future.

11-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

What he said ^. Mez has been fantastic. For the people that said he wasn't worth his salary, what else exactly do you want him to do?

Our third pairing has actually been our strongest this year. That says something

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Sundevil9

While overpaid, he's done well for the team.

1) As stated above, the third pairing is now solid. Not stellar, but solid, but it's the third pairing you're not looking for stellar.
2) He's an insurance policy against any of the top four needing time off
3) The minutes of Timmonen and Pronger aren't being run up in November. That'll mean that they'll have more in the tank com playoff time.

Looks like he's also gaining some comfort with the team. The trade was likely a wake-up call for him.

Sundevil9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Mgkibbles

Meszaros has been one of the Flyers better defenseman so far this year. When he plays physical he's very good, and he's certainly worth his salary.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:10 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Personally, I think Meszaros has been the third best defender on the team. He's looking like the player he was in Ottawa - swift skating, great puck handling and he's got a bit of mean streak. He's also been averaging around 20 minutes a game and as others have pointed out, he can take on additional minutes with Timonen and Pronger need a break. Meszaros will make one of Coburn or Carle expendable at the end of the year.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:18 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Personally, I think Meszaros has been the third best defender on the team. He's looking like the player he was in Ottawa - swift skating, great puck handling and he's got a bit of mean streak. He's also been averaging around 20 minutes a game and as others have pointed out, he can take on additional minutes with Timonen and Pronger need a break. Meszaros will make one of Coburn or Carle expendable at the end of the year.
I would really like him to play some quality minutes in a top 4 role sooner rather than later. Want to see what he has against the other teams better players. He is in less pressured situation right now. Want to see how he reacts when he has pressure on him.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
What he said ^. Mez has been fantastic. For the people that said he wasn't worth his salary, what else exactly do you want him to do?

Our third pairing has actually been our strongest this year. That says something
13 pt pace is not good enough for $4M a year... and that's without getting into the fact that he's on our third pairing. Now, that final part is not necessarily his fault, and he's been effective defensively from that position... but that's also not a position where he's going to get challenged as much as he would if he was playing in the top 4.

Frankly, it would be pathetic if Meszaros was getting taken advantage of in his current role.

Randy Jones was an effective player when he was getting 18 minutes a night, too.

EDIT: And for the record, Coburn needs to start improving in his own offensive game a bit.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:38 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Randy Jones was an effective player when he was getting 18 minutes a night, too.
To be fair, Mez seems to at least get the puck to the crease, as opposed to crashing it off the shins of the nearest defender.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
To be fair, Mez seems to at least get the puck to the crease, as opposed to crashing it off the shins of the nearest defender.
Oh, he's significantly better than Randy Jones... but he's also getting paid a LOT more than a 3rd pairing D should be getting paid.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:47 AM
McNasty

Defensively he is a lot better then I thought he was, but I agree that he needs to contribute a bit more offensively to be worth that contract.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:53 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Remember on the trade boards Tampa fans were calling him as bad as Krajicek?

Nah. Not quite.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Remember on the trade boards Tampa fans were calling him as bad as Krajicek?

Nah. Not quite.
Because they thought they were getting more than what they paid for. They thought they were getting Dan Boyle.

He is not that kind of player who can take a #1 role.

Pre-season was shoddy, but I had the patience that he would get it down pat. I knew that he would absolutely not warrant the criticism he got from Tampa Bay. No one from that team lived up to anything while being part of the Circus down at the OK Corral.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:18 PM
BillDineen

Mesz has averaged almost as many pp minutes as Carle in one less game, but only has 13 shots vs Carle at 23. (Neither have goals).

Mesz and O'Donnell have been very good IMO defensively. Offense though is why he got that contract and its seems long gone.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:31 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Given that the Flyers aren't presently having salary cap issues this season, the fact that Mez makes $4M is irrelevant. I'm comfortable with the third pairing for the first time in the post 2005 lockout era.

Mez and O'Donnell have been great; they can handle more minutes that most third pairs, they won't look like fools if they're stuck out after an icing against a top line, they each take minutes on special teams and they're lowering the minutes of Kimmo and Pronger.

The $4M problem will rear its ugly head in the off-season (or if significant injuries force a trade during this season) but, for the moment, I don't care how much he's making.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:42 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Given that the Flyers aren't presently having salary cap issues this season, the fact that Mez makes $4M is irrelevant.
That's pretty much how I feel.

Right now all I know is that I've never seen a defense like this that can roll all three pairings and not worry about a thing.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:17 PM
BWAVgal
A sad Flyers fan

vCash: 50
I like him, have a feeling he'll get his first goal as a Flyer soon. Him and O'Donnell have really sured up the defense.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Mez has been awesome and for a while was playing like our best D man until Pronger returned to form.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
13 pt pace is not good enough for $4M a year... and that's without getting into the fact that he's on our third pairing. Now, that final part is not necessarily his fault, and he's been effective defensively from that position... but that's also not a position where he's going to get challenged as much as he would if he was playing in the top 4.

Frankly, it would be pathetic if Meszaros was getting taken advantage of in his current role.

EDIT: And for the record, Coburn needs to start improving in his own offensive game a bit.
I have great faith in the fact that mez will soon start hitting the net with his shot. It's stronger than Prongers and thats saying something. You have to realise that he is playing very conservativly on the pp at the moment. I think he doesn't want to make any mistakes.

Once he gets a little more comfortable, the goals will soon start flying in. As for even strength. He is a +3, his partner is O'donnell, and they mainly seem to play with the third and fourth lines. I'm not really expecting a massive offensive output. Having a large +-, stella defensive play and playing with a physical edge is worth $4 mil for the flyers. It's not like we need that 4 mil elsewhere at the moment

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote