Potential trade partners

Old
11-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
Looking at who we the fans think is expendable along with how the other teams in the nhl are doing this season, here are a couple thoughts I've had about some cap clearing moves. All of the teams I'm about to discuss are Western Conference teams, so we are not improving any teams within our conference.

Potential Partner 1: Dallas Stars
Dallas is currently ranking second to last on the PK, but has been a decent team in other areas, and have played well enough to currently hold a playoff spot. What better player to improve this team than Paille, an expert PK specialiast who could also contribute on the offensive end with his speed. Granted his shot is not the best, but Paille's skillset would make the Stars a better team, as he could drastically improve their penalty kill unit. Dallas also has some space to take on a little salary. Paille for a 3rd or 4th rounder would benefit both teams.

Potential Partner 2: Columbus Blue Jackets
Currently second to last in the league in goals per game, Columbus could use a spark on for their offense. Why not offer them a package including the offensively minded Matt Hunwick and power forward Blake Wheeler? Hunwick and Wheeler could improve the team's offensive production, and Wheeler could help out on the currently 15th ranking PK unit. I don't know what we could expect in return, but I would ask for a prospect and probably a 2nd round pick.

Potential Partner 3: Phoenix Coyotes
The Coyotes forwards are really struggling, and with some help, they could be a serious contender with some help on the offense. They have capable goal scorers and just lack that one play maker. I know he has the NTC, and I know he just signed here, and I know that I'm really not a big fan of trading him, but I think Savard could be what Phoenix needs. We could send Savard+our 2011+a Defensemen (Stuart maybe?) for Yandle. Phoenix probably ins't too big on the idea of trading Yandle, but how can an offensively struggling team reject a trade that would bring in one of the best ppg centers in the league? Even though we lose Savard, this trade improves our cap situation, and our defense, and doesn't effect our 4th overall ranking offense at all.

Potential Partner 4: Nashville Predators
Nashville is a contender and they have the defense to compete, but they need some offensive help. Savard, Ryder, or Wheeler could help them out in the goal scoring department, and they have the cap space to take on some salary (not sure if they have an internal cap though)

Potential Partner 5: St. Louis Blues
This team has been awesome this year, but their PK currently rankings 21st in the league, which is by no means good. Paille could help them out there, and could a guy like Stuart or Ference or contribute to their defensive depth, arming them to make a serious run in the Western Conference. Alternatively, Wheeler could also help their PK and add more depth into their offense, making them a much deadlier team. Either way, a move here could benefit the Blues while aiding in our struggle against the cap.

These are just some speculations of potential moves. You may or may not agree with them, but I think each of these moves could happen. I really want to see our problems solved through trades and not demoting Ryder, as his play so far this year has earned him a roster spot on an NHL team. So what are your thoughts? What other teams could you forsee a trade with and what's their motivation to take on our salary?
i think edmonton is a potential trade partner. i listen to their call in shows everyday now and they are anxious to get better sooner then later. not sure how much time management has to turn it around cause its sucked for awhile now.

the needs are a defenseman that can play {preferably with a bit of puck skill and leadership quality} and pk help to upgrade their woefoe collection of 4th line losers.

we happen to be overpaying paille to sit in the pressbox and ference to be a 5th/6th dman

their most obvious trade chip is Souray who cant be used this year and then maybe cogliano who seems to have lost all opportunity to work himself up in the pecking order with all the new kids arriving.

we need some cap space relief and maybe edmonton would take the remainder of Ryder's contract flip us colgiano to effectively take Ryder's spot for the remainder of this year and then we take Souray and park him in the AHL until next year and they get Ferrence/Paille

overall edmonton takes on around 9 million or a bit less of contract and we end up with around 11 or so. so helps them a bit with dollars. they get three warm bodies for their lineup at the cost of 1.

we end up with the best player in the trade in Souray whom i do think will end up helping us alot next year and we address our cap concerns for this year too.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
Really its Caron?? Wow I just said that because of how great he has looked on the PK. Plus I remember Bergy has had a few PIMs this year and I don't recall Caron taking any yet which would explain why he has more time on ice on the PK.

I see what you are saying now about Pallie. You don't want to trade him until after we get Sturm/Savard back for PK depth. I understand that but Chia must know they are getting close so he has to lay the ground work at somepoint might as well be now.

I am not sure the exact amount that needs to be freed up. I thought it was more then $3.2 but I am probabaly wrong. I don't think I have seen an exact answer on this.
People are using capgeek's numbers that say $5.4M, or something along those lines. But that site is also currently counting a 26-man roster. Just the shimmying about to make roster room for Sturm and Savard (which would have to be done anyway) should be enough to fit everyone in.

So... Trade Paille and demote Ryder (when the last guy gets back - if needed, as there could be other injuries too).
And we have Bergeron, Krejci, Savard, Seguin, Wheeler, Marchand, Campbell, Horton, Lucic, Thornton, Recchi, Sturm, Caron as our 13 forwards? Personally, I make Rex #13 and that's one hell of a killer lineup.

Lucic - Krejci - Horton
Sturm - Bergeron - Caron
Wheeler - Savard - Seguin
Marchand - Campbell - Thornton
Recchi

?

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:16 PM
LucicTrain*

Joni Pitkanen would be the guy i would be looking at. he's in the last year of his deal and playing for a bad team in Carolina. it would take a good package something like a 1st, Wheeler, Paille, Colbourne and the Bruins clearly cap on top of what they have to fit his 4.5. but he's exactly what the Bruins could use.

LucicTrain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucicTrain View Post
Joni Pitkanen would be the guy i would be looking at. he's in the last year of his deal and playing for a bad team in Carolina. it would take a good package something like a 1st, Wheeler, Paille, Colbourne and the Bruins clearly cap on top of what they have to fit his 4.5. but he's exactly what the Bruins could use.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:21 PM
DaveFromNB

Quote:
I think if you throw Thomas into the trade as the cap clearing component, then all your (recent) locked threads come true.

DaveFromNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:24 PM
LucicTrain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
are all your posts this insightful?

Old
11-05-2010, 12:25 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Pitkanen would indeed be an awesome addition to the backend here. Not sure why Carolina would move him, though.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:27 PM
LucicTrain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
Pitkanen would indeed be an awesome addition to the backend here. Not sure why Carolina would move him, though.
if they are fearful he wont re sign. it could be dangerous for a team in rebuilding mode to let a high caliber player like him walk without getting a return or at least take the chance

Old
11-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Well he will be a UFA so come deadline if Carolina is out they would be crazy not to move him cause he will probably get an offer July 1st and move on

However what LucicTrain is offering is way too much for a rental,that's so much I'd rather play Hunwick!

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:32 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

I dunno Bruinsfan_37...there's a point at which a team must decide to "go for it" and if the Bruins are in that position, I would like to see an aggressive deal to bring in the right talent.

Yeah, maybe not all that much just for Pitkanen, but still...if you have to pay, you have to pay.

Old
11-05-2010, 12:32 PM
LucicTrain*

i'd personally like to keep Wheeler and move Hunwick, Paille and prospects and picks for Pitkanen but its still gunna take a nice package regardless of him being a UFA at the end of the season.

i believe this would all fit under the cap, granted you move Ryder, Hunwick, Paille and Savard

Caron - Bergeron - Recchi
Sturm - Seguin - Wheeler
Thorton - Campbell - Marchand

Boychuk - Chara
Pitaken - Seids
Ference - Stuart

Old
11-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
I dunno Bruinsfan_37...there's a point at which a team must decide to "go for it" and if the Bruins are in that position, I would like to see an aggressive deal to bring in the right talent.

Yeah, maybe not all that much just for Pitkanen, but still...if you have to pay, you have to pay.
Agreed you got not choice in overpaying at the deadline but if we look at the past couple of years teams making big moves didn't go very far.Last one was Hossa who went to the SCF with Pittsburgh but we could all agree 3 years ago the East was very weak back then

I personally would prefer signing a big impact player (UFA) and have him play the season with the rest of the guys instead of hoping for a gel in a month

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:40 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Quote:
i'd personally like to keep Wheeler and move Hunwick, Paille and prospects and picks for Pitkanen but its still gunna take a nice package regardless of him being a UFA at the end of the season.

i believe this would all fit under the cap, granted you move Ryder, Hunwick, Paille and Savard

Sturm - Seguin - Wheeler

Boychuk - Chara
Pitaken - Seids
Ference - Stuart
I can't see Savard being moved. There's a better chance of Sturm moving and even that's a slim chance. One thing is for sure...there's going to be some crying and wailing when PC pulls the trigger on a trade in the next 60 days.

I think a PMD is a luxury for the deadline rather than somethig we can count on before then. And who knows what assets will be around at that time.

Last edited by doubleminor138: 11-05-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old
11-05-2010, 12:42 PM
LucicTrain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
Agreed you got not choice in overpaying at the deadline but if we look at the past couple of years teams making big moves didn't go very far.Last one was Hossa who went to the SCF with Pittsburgh but we could all agree 3 years ago the East was very weak back then

I personally would prefer signing a big impact player (UFA) and have him play the season with the rest of the guys instead of hoping for a gel in a month

i'd call Pitkanen a big impact player. if you made the deal you would have time during the season and during the exclusive negating period to hammer out a deal, rather letting him go to FA and having to compete with everyone else.

i also agree with doubleminor about the Bruins being in "win now mode". if it came down to it and you had to overpay a bit to get it done, i would hope Chia would do it. i wouldnt let an extra pick or a Suave or Spooner get in the way of making the deal. obviously though you have to draw a line and there comes a point were it wouldnt make much sense to severely overpay.

Old
11-05-2010, 01:07 PM
DaveFromNB

Quote:

Well, I think the Bruins have a pretty wide window to "go for it" though. In addition to (for discussion purposes) Ryder and Paille being dumped to activate Sturm and Savard, they'd still need to move an additional $4mil of cap to get Pitkanen, and that is neither easy to do, or painless.

They're not going to lose any significant players in the offseason, have no significant players that they need to resign, and are tracking to have the cap space to sign a guy like Pitkanen without needing to give up assets. Sturm, Ryder, Recchi, McGratton, Stuart, you could let them all walk, put Sauve/Spooner into the lineup, and just target defense upgrade through UFA given the cap is going up another $3 mil or so.

DaveFromNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:12 PM
ed bruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetEmPlay View Post
Luke Schenn straight up, but your GM laughs.
i really do like schenn but it wont happen

ed bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:

Sturm - Seguin - Wheeler

Boychuk - Chara
Pitaken - Seids
Ference - Stuart
Yeah lets move our two worst players with "prospects and picks" for one of those great "PMDs" that would "put us over the edge."

You're delusional if u think we're gonna get Pitkanen for that garbage.

Old
11-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed bruin View Post
i really do like schenn but it wont happen
Schenn looks like a stud in the making.

I flip Colborne in a second if BB offers that, but no way in hell that happens.

And this "depth down the middle" excuse is really getting to me. These are the players we have "depth down the middle" with:

Savard
Krejci
Bergeron
Seguin
Campell
Colborne
Spooner

Hamill

The bolded ones can play wing...need I say more?

Old
11-05-2010, 01:54 PM
LucicTrain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Yeah lets move our two worst players with "prospects and picks" for one of those great "PMDs" that would "put us over the edge."

You're delusional if u think we're gonna get Pitkanen for that garbage.
1st, 2nd, Hunwick and Colbourne i think is a fair value for only 20 guaranteed games of Pitkanen

Old
11-05-2010, 02:01 PM
McKuato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Bergie - Caron
Krejci - Wheeler
Campbell - Marchand

Those are more or less our forward pairs on the PK.

I'm not sold on Paille being entirely expendable at this point.

The biggest reason the Bruins have such a successful kill, is that they can roll out THREE effective sets of forwards. Paille gets a lot of credit for turning this team around in that respect last season, but he was more of a "final puzzle piece" than he was a one-man wrecking crew.

My hesitation comes in when one of these top-nine goes down with injury... We have no one else on the current roster who can replace him.

Perhaps a needless fear. But I think we should be careful when we call for a firesale. It could end up hurting the team in ways one wouldn't expect when looking at every trade individually.

EDIT: As a side note - you'll never guess who's leading our forwards in shorthanded time on ice per game.
I think Sturm, Ryder and Horton could work on the PK

McKuato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

Quote:
People are using capgeek's numbers that say $5.4M, or something along those lines. But that site is also currently counting a 26-man roster. Just the shimmying about to make roster room for Sturm and Savard (which would have to be done anyway) should be enough to fit everyone in.

So... Trade Paille and demote Ryder (when the last guy gets back - if needed, as there could be other injuries too).
And we have Bergeron, Krejci, Savard, Seguin, Wheeler, Marchand, Campbell, Horton, Lucic, Thornton, Recchi, Sturm, Caron as our 13 forwards? Personally, I make Rex #13 and that's one hell of a killer lineup.

Lucic - Krejci - Horton
Sturm - Bergeron - Caron
Recchi

?
I hope your right because that forward group looks cup worthy.

Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Holy overpayment batman.

Guiledoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Lord Ahriman

Quote:

Lucic - Krejci - Horton
Sturm - Bergeron - Caron
Recchi

?
Counting with current defense, we would be $0.4M under the cap. Sad thing, no room for improvement on defense (unless Ference and Hunwick are traded, what is pretty hard to happen).

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
1st, 2nd, Hunwick and Colbourne i think is a fair value for only 20 guaranteed games of Pitkanen
No its not.

Giving up two top 64 picks and a 1st line center prospect is way too much.

I'd say Wheeler, 1st/Colborne and any prospect(s) not named Seguin, Colborne, or Caron, and say take it or leave it.

Old
11-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stRoundandOut View Post
I think Sturm, Ryder and Horton could work on the PK
Maybe Horton. But certainly not Ryder. And only MAYBE Horton.

Sturm yes... But I'm not dumping Paille NOW for Sturm later.

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote