HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers and Pitkanen, Gleason, Daley

Old
11-04-2010, 10:45 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Grachev is trade bait, what player that is trade bait gets 4 mins a night if the team wants to showcase him
Interesting...what 20 year old Rookie gets 24 minutes a night right off the bat?

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:46 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
None of those four are untouchable:

I'd rather not lose either, but Grachev and Zuccharello-Aasen may never have as high trade value again (or they may burn us!).

Gilroy we all know and Sauer -- I don't think he's going to be a Ranger for long. Good player, but he's just not the kind of D-man Torts likes to use, for better or worse.
Never said they are. It's why I brought them up.

Old
11-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Interesting...what 20 year old Rookie gets 24 minutes a night right off the bat?
Ones on god awful hockey teams. Look how well it worked with the 08-09 yotes; they had to send top prospects back to the AHL after a full year of NHL hockey

I'm glad thats not us, personally.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Never said they are. It's why I brought them up.
Of course. I was agreeing with you, not countering anything you said. Just seemed like an opportunity to say something I've been thinking for a while.

We've all become so anti-trade the youth (with good reason), but I think the Rangers are coming to a point where, to improve the team, management is going to have to take some tough decisions regarding whom to give up and whom to keep in the system.

I like the idea of adding Pitkänen to the team, but I don't like the idea of giving much up for him; however, if it happens, there's really no choice.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:00 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Of course. I was agreeing with you, not countering anything you said. Just seemed like an opportunity to say something I've been thinking for a while.

We've all become so anti-trade the youth (with good reason), but I think the Rangers are coming to a point where, to improve the team, management is going to have to take some tough decisions regarding whom to give up and whom to keep in the system.

I like the idea of adding Pitkänen to the team, but I don't like the idea of giving much up for him; however, if it happens, there's really no choice.
I agree 100%.

Old
11-04-2010, 11:10 AM
NYRangers16

Very true. We are nearing the point where we have the core in place. The question becomes how do you improve the team now? Because any prospect is going to take 2-3 years to develop into a core guy. So, to improve our NHL team it's going to take some solid trades and smart financial decisions. And of course smart drafting to replace the kids we do decide to give up. Make no mistake, not every prospect will or should be kept. Depends on the value of the guy we can get and on the cap cost. Affordable talented players that fit our team are who we should be targetting.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:15 AM
TreeSapLlama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
A couple of things.

Partner for MDZ
1. MDZ is a awesome asset for this team. And will be for a long time.

Who do you want to pair MDZ with now, next year and 3-4 years from now?

In this perspective I don't think you count om McD or McI, at least not yet. McI is a LD himself, right? McD? We have seen before how 3-4 awesome goalieprospects becomes 1. How 3-4 young offensive D prospects becomes 1. Don't get me wrong, but wouldn't put my egg in that basket yet.

Is that guy Girardi? In the games I've seen, I haven't had a problem at all with Girardi's play, but I have not been sold by his ability to cover for MDZ either. Girardi have a tendacy to get caught very inbetween at times.

I think thats the biggest hole we have. The lack of partner for MDZ.

Longterm, I think this should be our prio 1. on the blueline. Plan to invest Rozi's money in MDZ's higher salary in the future -- and in a partner for MDZ. Then evalute Girardi as Staal's partner, or as the 5th D. If he can't make it in the first mentioned role, or is too expensive for the later role, you use him as a valuble chip.

LD
2. Just get a serviceble got darn 6th D to play on LD on the 3rd pairing already. That position isn't important. These guys don't play much, and of the minutes they play, for a big part of it they are asked to just clear the zone and whatnot.
McIlrath shoots right, and down the road I think he would be an ideal partner for MDZ. I expect him to be 3 years away though, so I agree that getting a good RD to play with him at least in the interim would be a good strategy.

While I wouldn't object to the Rangers making a trade, I would like to see Valentenko - Sauer as a 3rd pair. I think they would be effective.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Well just for reference, here is our depth chart for defenseman (current and future):

Left Defense
Right Defense
Marc Staal Daniel Girardi
Michael Del Zotto Michal Rozsival
Pavel Valentenko Michael Sauer
Ryan McDonagh Matt Gilroy
Mihail Pashnin Dylan McIlrath
Sam Klassen Tomas Kundratek
Nigel Williams Steve Eminger
Jyri Niemi Daniel Maggio
Lee Baldwin 
Tysen Dowzak 

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Fan in PGH View Post
Well just for reference, here is our depth chart for defenseman (current and future):

Left Defense
Right Defense
Marc Staal Daniel Girardi
Michael Del Zotto Michal Rozsival
Pavel Valentenko Michael Sauer
Ryan McDonagh Matt Gilroy
Mihail Pashnin Dylan McIlrath
Sam Klassen Tomas Kundratek
Nigel Williams Steve Eminger
Jyri Niemi Daniel Maggio
Lee Baldwin 
Tysen Dowzak 
does not look that bad we are going to be solid back there for a long time

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 06:41 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Burke and Murray chose Drury for team USA and they haven't stopped shopping Kaberle. TML is hard up for forwards, have plenty of cap space and plenty of cash. TML was also interested in Gilroy, was rumored to have offered him the same deal NY did and NY has an extra 2nd rounder in the coffers. To top it off, due to a weird scheduling they only play each other once more for the rest of the year. Oh and Burke and Slats are two of the good ole' boys.

Drury, Gilroy, Washington's #2
for
Kaberle & 3rd

Drury and Kaberle have to OK the deal.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Just two months ago, a thread like this one would have 30 goofballs swinging from the chandaliers and screaming to trade Dubinsky for whatever player mentioned. didn't even matter who the dreg was.

Now, suddenly, not so much. What happened?

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:12 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
Just two months ago, a thread like this one would have 30 goofballs swinging from the chandaliers and screaming to trade Dubinsky for whatever player mentioned. didn't even matter who the dreg was.

Now, suddenly, not so much. What happened?
Wow, exaggerate much? Yeah, I guess Spezza, Richards and other top players is a stretch. I guess you deserve a pat on the back, you knew all along that Dubinsky was going to finally show consistency. Congrats. Hey, I guess its time to start a thread to congratulate myself for saying he's better on the wing then center. I remember some pretty funny debates 2 months ago surrounding that.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:13 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
gilroy is steadily dropping id just send him packing plus whatever else for gleason

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:46 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
gilroy is steadily dropping id just send him packing plus whatever else for gleason
i'm sure carolina is just dying for the chance to trade a #2 dman for an offensive dman that doesn't score

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:44 AM
MillerTime2181

Speaking of Gilroy...how has he looked this season? Has he made any improvements in his game? Is he a bonafide NHL defensemen? Like everyone kinda had higher expectations for him coming out of college....any chance he realizes his potential either with the Rangers or another team?

MillerTime2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:58 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime2181 View Post
Speaking of Gilroy...how has he looked this season? Has he made any improvements in his game? Is he a bonafide NHL defensemen? Like everyone kinda had higher expectations for him coming out of college....any chance he realizes his potential either with the Rangers or another team?
He's awful. His only chance at an NHL career is a switch to forward, because he has no hope to be a top six defenseman in this league. Not a contributor at either end of the ice.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Olympic nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
He's awful. His only chance at an NHL career is a switch to forward, because he has no hope to be a top six defenseman in this league. Not a contributor at either end of the ice.
His NHL career would be over if he switches to forward. He's got skills and is an excellent skater, but he'd be one of those players who would slip between the cracks -- not enough production for the top-6, not enough grit to for the bottom-6.

As a defenceman, he brings something intriguing to the table. A skillset that most defencemen don't have. He should be able to bring the puck out of the zone on his own from the back end. I think a team that lacks defensive depth might value his offensive abilities and put him in a position to use them.

I've actually always wondered why he came to the Rangers, with our strong defensive prospect pool, he's not put himself in a position to shine.

Old
11-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
I don't think you'd like what "whatever else" would entail.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:44 PM
gotmonte

this might just come to fruitation. Todd White has been waived. If someone picks him up, watch out. I forsee a move.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:46 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I don't think you'd like what "whatever else" would entail.
Exactly. Gilroy is a throw in, not the basis of a package.

11-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
His NHL career would be over if he switches to forward. He's got skills and is an excellent skater, but he'd be one of those players who would slip between the cracks -- not enough production for the top-6, not enough grit to for the bottom-6.

As a defenceman, he brings something intriguing to the table. A skillset that most defencemen don't have. He should be able to bring the puck out of the zone on his own from the back end. I think a team that lacks defensive depth might value his offensive abilities and put him in a position to use them.

I've actually always wondered why he came to the Rangers, with our strong defensive prospect pool, he's not put himself in a position to shine.
He came here because he knew he would be given a chance to make the team right out of camp, which he did.

However, he ended up sucking so bad that pretty much everyone hates him now. Honestly, i was on the gilroy boat and was a guy who thought he would have a better year this year, but imo hes been even worse. Cut ties with him and package him in a deal for ANYTHING, or else send him down, save the cap space and dont resign him next year.

Still not upset with the signing seeing as we basically bought an extra draft pick, just so happened it didnt work out. No loss here

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 03:44 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Gilroy signed with the Rangers because they gave him a 1 way contract worth $3.5 million. Best offer on the table.

$250,000 signing bonus
$1,150,000 first year salary
$2,100,000 second year salary

Gilroy is not getting a QO this summer.

Nieuwendyk scouted him for the Leafs who offered the same financial package but only a 2 way contract. Perhaps Nieuwendyk could negotiate a cheaper two year deal with Gilroy's agent Kent Hughes. Petr Prucha signed for less than his QO in exchange for a 2 year deal.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Olympic nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Gilroy signed with the Rangers because they gave him a 1 way contract worth $3.5 million. Best offer on the table.

$250,000 signing bonus
$1,150,000 first year salary
$2,100,000 second year salary

Gilroy is not getting a QO this summer.

Nieuwendyk scouted him for the Leafs who offered the same financial package but only a 2 way contract. Perhaps Nieuwendyk could negotiate a cheaper two year deal with Gilroy's agent Kent Hughes. Petr Prucha signed for less than his QO in exchange for a 2 year deal.
I wouldn't be half surprised to see that happen. Or Gilroy get traded for a mid/low draft pick.

I don't hate Gilroy, I think he shows flashes of play that many defencemen simply cannot do. That said, I wish he were better at certain things that most defencemen do quite well...

Old
11-05-2010, 04:51 PM
MillerTime2181

I admit I don't get to see many Rangers games lately...Is it that Gilroy's defense is lacking? Decision-making? How is his positioning/stickwork? Would more direct coaching fix the situation any? It's like I said before I had thought he was going to make a good impact in the nHL at least be a 2nd pairing-type guy in his prime.

MillerTime2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:10 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime2181 View Post
I admit I don't get to see many Rangers games lately...Is it that Gilroy's defense is lacking? Decision-making? How is his positioning/stickwork? Would more direct coaching fix the situation any? It's like I said before I had thought he was going to make a good impact in the nHL at least be a 2nd pairing-type guy in his prime.
I think his defensive struggles are a bit overrated around here, but he just doesn't bring much on the offensive side either, and that makes him a rather weak defensively, dime a dozen defenseman. That is surely not worth 1.75 million.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote