HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Drury has TWO breaks in same finger

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-05-2010, 01:03 AM
  #26
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 23,818
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
LMAO! classic! Keep it going!

AOW: lighten up dude we're just having some fun.
I am lightened up. I'm just sick and tired of all the hate, It's one thing to joke about his "funny comments' or whatever but berating him for doing his job and basically laughing at his injury is not funny in the least.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 06:31 AM
  #27
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,669
vCash: 500
.

Hopefully it's not a break on his pitching hand.


pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 07:24 AM
  #28
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
18 more months and he's off the books. Perhaps his fingers will be healed by then...perhaps not.
19 months and 25 days.

Just in time for the new CBA.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:18 AM
  #29
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD
 
Kovalev27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,038
vCash: 500
His job was to be a top 6 player for us that did all the extra stuff and put up 25 goals 60'pts. Last year he DID NOT DO HIS JOB. He did Blair betts' job. Stop defending this guy

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:27 AM
  #30
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,669
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
His job was to be a top 6 player for us that did all the extra stuff and put up 25 goals 60'pts. Last year he DID NOT DO HIS JOB. He did Blair betts' job. Stop defending this guy
at Vincent LeCavalier money


pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 09:44 AM
  #31
NYROrtsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,960
vCash: 500
They will likely be able to trade Drury midseason in his final year of his contract to be honest. A lot of teams would take on a player like him with the contract no longer a huge problem.

That said, this is why you never come back early... Which is exactly what he did.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:01 AM
  #32
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,019
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
They will likely be able to trade Drury midseason in his final year of his contract to be honest. A lot of teams would take on a player like him with the contract no longer a huge problem.
He has a no trade clause.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:16 AM
  #33
Revelation
Reanimated
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,269
vCash: 500
Seriously, everyone joking and hoping he'll stay out as long as possible, and only one poster mentions our dreadful PK.

I don't care what his cap hit is. With his PK ability, the man can help us win games right now.

I know everyone says they're just kidding, but this is the one person we should be rooting for to make a quick recovery.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:24 AM
  #34
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Hopefully it's not a break on his pitching hand.

hahahah i am loling at this so funny.


tbh we do need drury though...

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:33 AM
  #35
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
at Vincent LeCavalier money

In all fairness, Vinny will be on the books for about 6 extra seasons. I would take Drury's contract over Vinny's.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:36 AM
  #36
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,890
vCash: 500
Drury has a no movement clause. Most long term big money contracts don't end well. I heard Bobby Holik makes the radio rounds this week. He said the Rangers offered him lifetime financial security so he took their offer and then said he was happy when they bought him out. He played here two years. Lockout. Compliance buyout the last two years. Darius Kasparaitis was finished by the 4th year of his 6 year deal. Scott Gomez last two years as a Ranger. Wade Redden was a waste of money the moment he signed the contract. $8 million and $5 million in salary for Drury.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:51 AM
  #37
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
His job was to be a top 6 player for us that did all the extra stuff and put up 25 goals 60'pts. Last year he DID NOT DO HIS JOB. He did Blair betts' job. Stop defending this guy
It's not Chris Drury's fault that Glen Sather doesn't know the sport well enough to recognize who is or isn't a top six player. Blaming Drury for accepting a large sum of money is almost as asinine as Sather was when he handed out such a dreadful contract.

Chris Drury is what he is, and that hasn't changed. He played the game the same way last year as he did when he was a Sabre. If you want Chris Drury to score 25 goals and put up 60 points, then place him in a situation that is conducive to that happening. Just look at the Olympics and see how effective he was when he was used the right way, something that has yet to happen in his time as a New York Ranger.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:08 PM
  #38
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post

Chris Drury is what he is, and that hasn't changed. He played the game the same way last year as he did when he was a Sabre.
You haven't noticed the obvious decline in his game since he was a Sabre and has been a Ranger over the last 3 seasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I Just look at the Olympics and see how effective he was when he was used the right way, something that has yet to happen in his time as a New York Ranger.
You mean used in a Bottom 6 role? Which is quite different from how he was utilized with the Sabres, but the role he played himself into with the Rangers after just 2 seasons...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:49 PM
  #39
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride
 
NY Lito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2k99 View Post
Get well captain despite what some of these say
he's not my captain, nor do i think he's anyone's captain except for the official title. he's been a bad captain here, simple as that. the "weekend" line shows that.

hank has been the real captain of this team for a long time, followed by cally, aves, and dubi. drury's a f***ing joke as a leader. the "c" should've been ripped off a long time ago.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 02:21 PM
  #40
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 23,818
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
His job was to be a top 6 player for us that did all the extra stuff and put up 25 goals 60'pts. Last year he DID NOT DO HIS JOB. He did Blair betts' job. Stop defending this guy
Oh really? how many goals did drury score in his first year here? Ahh thats right, 25 and 2 assists shy of 60 points.

How many goals/points did he put up the following year? 22/34 = 56, oh no! 4 pts shy of what you THINK he should be!
Lets not forget that he was a whoping 2 points behind zherdev for the team lead in points.


The only bad year he has had on the rangers is last year, Which included a concussion and a knee problem and he STILL made the USA Olympics roster and got a silver medal, but hey chris drury is only at the skill level of blair betts what do i know


Face facts, Sather is the idiot that gave drury the contract. Everyone knew he wasn't going to be the superstar center everybody dreams about on the rangers, That was supposed to be gomez and he failed miserably.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 02:37 PM
  #41
SPG
Registered User
 
SPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Utica, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
Oh really? how many goals did drury score in his first year here? Ahh thats right, 25 and 2 assists shy of 60 points.

How many goals/points did he put up the following year? 22/34 = 56, oh no! 4 pts shy of what you THINK he should be!
Lets not forget that he was a whoping 2 points behind zherdev for the team lead in points.


The only bad year he has had on the rangers is last year, Which included a concussion and a knee problem and he STILL made the USA Olympics roster and got a silver medal, but hey chris drury is only at the skill level of blair betts what do i know


Face facts, Sather is the idiot that gave drury the contract. Everyone knew he wasn't going to be the superstar center everybody dreams about on the rangers, That was supposed to be gomez and he failed miserably.
Agreed. Hate the contract (or who offered it to him), not the player.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 02:52 PM
  #42
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
he's not my captain, nor do i think he's anyone's captain except for the official title.
You're a peon like us, and don't play professional hockey for the Rangers. Of course he's not your Captain. He is the Rangers Captain though, and that's all that matters.

He's on the IR, yet the C isn't on anyones chest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
he's been a bad captain here, simple as that. the "weekend" line shows that.
Why has he been a bad captain? Explain that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
hank has been the real captain of this team for a long time, followed by cally, aves, and dubi. drury's a f***ing joke as a leader. the "c" should've been ripped off a long time ago.
Hank has been the team's leader. Not Captain. He's actually not allowed to wear the C on his sweater. Luongo was Vancouver's "Captain", but that was just done to make his spoiled ass feel special.

Drury's been fine as our Captain, imo. If Cally, or Dubi were captains of this team, I don't think we would have a better record. Or be a better team.

If Drury had a few more points, or earned less $$$, you probably wouldn't have much of an issue with him as our Captain.

Blame Sather about his salary. Blame Torts about his offensive regression. Drury's made his living on the PP. If the head coach doesn't utilize his players properly they're not going to play up to expectations.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 06:49 PM
  #43
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,773
vCash: 500
Donít really like or dislike the player. Hate the contract.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 07:46 PM
  #44
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 23,818
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Donít really like or dislike the player. Hate the contract.
Now this is perfectly understandable.

If drury was making 3mill and putting up the same numbers people would say he's a godsend.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:33 PM
  #45
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
You haven't noticed the obvious decline in his game since he was a Sabre and has been a Ranger over the last 3 seasons?
The decline has been minor at worst, and there's nothing obvious about it. His positioning is just as good, his decision making is just as good. The only thing that's changed is he's lost a step, speed-wise. Unfortunate, but hardly enough to completely blame his statistical decline on.

Quote:
You mean used in a Bottom 6 role? Which is quite different from how he was utilized with the Sabres, but the role he played himself into with the Rangers after just 2 seasons...
For the majority of his time with the Sabres, including during his 37 goal final season with Buffalo, he was a third line center. Some nights, he was a "1st" or "2nd" line center, but those were nights when Ruff distributed the talent evenly throughout the lineup. On nights where there was a clearly defined top six and bottom six, Drury most often found himself in the latter. And there was nothing wrong with that, since his biggest impact offensively came on the Power Play. Drury has yet to be used in a similar fashion on a power play in his time as a Ranger.

At no point in his career was Chris Drury a playmaker or a significant puck distributor. He was a GREAT defensive third line center with solid speed and a very good shot that has allowed him to make the most of the kind of opportunistic one gets when playing with highly-skilled players like the ones he played with in Colorado and the players he played with, generally on the PP, in Buffalo. He's lost a bit of that speed, but not much else has changed.

From the moment Chris Drury was signed, the Rangers did everything they possibly could to make sure he would not succeed here (and that includes the contract they gave him, which made it that much more difficult to acquire skilled offensive talent, which Drury is not, the likes of which he played with on that Buffalo PP).

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:33 AM
  #46
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride
 
NY Lito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
You're a peon like us, and don't play professional hockey for the Rangers. Of course he's not your Captain. He is the Rangers Captain though, and that's all that matters.

He's on the IR, yet the C isn't on anyones chest.



Why has he been a bad captain? Explain that.



Hank has been the team's leader. Not Captain. He's actually not allowed to wear the C on his sweater. Luongo was Vancouver's "Captain", but that was just done to make his spoiled ass feel special.

Drury's been fine as our Captain, imo. If Cally, or Dubi were captains of this team, I don't think we would have a better record. Or be a better team.

If Drury had a few more points, or earned less $$$, you probably wouldn't have much of an issue with him as our Captain.

Blame Sather about his salary. Blame Torts about his offensive regression. Drury's made his living on the PP. If the head coach doesn't utilize his players properly they're not going to play up to expectations.
can you really say you've seen him be a leader in any sense of the word, other than blocking shots, which seems to be the only thing ever talked about when it comes to drury?

he has never showed an ounce of care during interviews, playoffs performance has been subpar on this team, hasn't stuck up for teammates via the fisticuffs/words on the ice or to the press and public off it(cally has done both), and really doesn't do anything that merits being a captain.

i obviously know hank can't be the captain but thanks for the lesson. all i'm saying is its a joke drury is captain when he guys like cally and dubi and yes even avery are playing. drury brings nothing to the table as a leader. that "C" is a farce.

and i do not care about his salary, and his lack of production was no surprise as he had a fluke year before he signed here (37 goals regularly? no one expected that). i don't see why he is captain. he doesn't lead by his numbers, his actions, or his words. he doesn't lead. period.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:37 AM
  #47
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
The decline has been minor at worst, and there's nothing obvious about it. His positioning is just as good, his decision making is just as good. The only thing that's changed is he's lost a step, speed-wise. Unfortunate, but hardly enough to completely blame his statistical decline on.



For the majority of his time with the Sabres, including during his 37 goal final season with Buffalo, he was a third line center. Some nights, he was a "1st" or "2nd" line center, but those were nights when Ruff distributed the talent evenly throughout the lineup. On nights where there was a clearly defined top six and bottom six, Drury most often found himself in the latter. And there was nothing wrong with that, since his biggest impact offensively came on the Power Play. Drury has yet to be used in a similar fashion on a power play in his time as a Ranger.

At no point in his career was Chris Drury a playmaker or a significant puck distributor. He was a GREAT defensive third line center with solid speed and a very good shot that has allowed him to make the most of the kind of opportunistic one gets when playing with highly-skilled players like the ones he played with in Colorado and the players he played with, generally on the PP, in Buffalo. He's lost a bit of that speed, but not much else has changed.

From the moment Chris Drury was signed, the Rangers did everything they possibly could to make sure he would not succeed here (and that includes the contract they gave him, which made it that much more difficult to acquire skilled offensive talent, which Drury is not, the likes of which he played with on that Buffalo PP).
Who were his linemates on the 3rd line in Buffalo???? I can't recall him centering their 3rd line....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:51 AM
  #48
brfeldman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
can you really say you've seen him be a leader in any sense of the word, other than blocking shots, which seems to be the only thing ever talked about when it comes to drury?

he has never showed an ounce of care during interviews, playoffs performance has been subpar on this team, hasn't stuck up for teammates via the fisticuffs/words on the ice or to the press and public off it(cally has done both), and really doesn't do anything that merits being a captain.

i obviously know hank can't be the captain but thanks for the lesson. all i'm saying is its a joke drury is captain when he guys like cally and dubi and yes even avery are playing. drury brings nothing to the table as a leader. that "C" is a farce.

and i do not care about his salary, and his lack of production was no surprise as he had a fluke year before he signed here (37 goals regularly? no one expected that). i don't see why he is captain. he doesn't lead by his numbers, his actions, or his words. he doesn't lead. period.
Because he didnt play with a broken wrist last playoff or anything and still put up more points then are leading point getter that season

brfeldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:55 AM
  #49
msv957
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
It's not Chris Drury's fault that Glen Sather doesn't know the sport well enough to recognize who is or isn't a top six player. Blaming Drury for accepting a large sum of money is almost as asinine as Sather was when he handed out such a dreadful contract.

Chris Drury is what he is, and that hasn't changed. He played the game the same way last year as he did when he was a Sabre. If you want Chris Drury to score 25 goals and put up 60 points, then place him in a situation that is conducive to that happening. Just look at the Olympics and see how effective he was when he was used the right way, something that has yet to happen in his time as a New York Ranger.
Really good post. Drury does have the skills and ability to produce 60 points, he just needs to be used the right way. He is a valuable player for this team and can only help this team when he is back healthy.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 01:44 PM
  #50
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Who were his linemates on the 3rd line in Buffalo???? I can't recall him centering their 3rd line....
I'm still not sure why this has to be explained 35 times a season, every season, since he's been here (this isn't a shot at you wolfgze, just my general frustration regarding this topic), but if my analysis isn't enough, perhaps the words of Buffalo Sabres fans will do the trick. Not to toot my own horn too much, but despite the fact that Chris Drury is one of my favorite players of all-time, I have been using pretty much the same rationale as you'll see below since before the Rangers ever signed Dru to try and point out what a horrendous idea it would be to pay $7 million per season to a third-line center with a good shot; how anyone that could possibly consider such a decision must be completely out of touch with the sport and the league. But then again, I said the same, prior to it actually happening, about someone willing to give even more money and years to Scott Gomez, one of the most overrated and inefficient players of the last quarter-century. But I digress...


http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=591037

Some highlights:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
In 06 Drury played with Grier the entire year. The other wing alternated, but I think was most often Kotalik. Pominville also saw time there. In the postseason Roy joined the line to create a very formidable shutdown line.

In 07 he played with most everyone. Kotalik was the primary player, I think. Gaustad saw time with him as well. The top two lines were Hecht-Briere-Pominville and Vanek-Roy-Max. Everyone else saw at least some time with Drury.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
While Mike Grier was here, the two seemed to be seperated on the hip, while the 3rd winger tended to vary month to month. In 06/07, he played mostly with Kotalik-Zubrus after the trade deadline, and he played a lot with Novotny instead of Zubrus beforehand. Both seasons his line was more of a defensive line compared with the Briere line and the Vanek-Roy-Afinogenov/Stafford line.

He scored most of his goals on rebounds all around the net. He doesn't generally play very well with playmakers or scorers, because he himself is not the world's greatest passer nor does he have exceptional vision.

On the power play, he was a staple as center on the first unit
....although to be honest aside from Briere at LW I can't remember who else was on that unit. Drury would also try his patented bad-angle top glove hand shot often on the PP. He'd get a couple of goals like that, but overall it just drove me crazy.


As for wanting him to get back to his pace in Buffalo...if you're talking about his 06/07 season, don't count on it. Not only was that team insanely talented, but much like Paille last season, Drury scored a lot of weird/fluky goals that season which helps result in his career year. He can play better than he is right now, for sure, but his 07/08 season with the Rangers should be considered his "normal" season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
You will never get Drury to score like he did here. Here, he was surrounded by talent and often overlooked and severely benefited from the system.

anywhere else his ceiling is 25 IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Grier in the offensive zone meshed with Drury in that they both played a low cycle game. Chip it in the corner, work it to the open man, rinse, repeat. They're even strength production was limited. Zubrus was brought in and put on Drury's wing after the deadline the following season, but in his time in Buffalo he had a variety of wingers including Roy, Kotalik, Gaustad, Pominville, Hecht, Paille, Vanek (he started '06 with Drury and Grier) and even a few shifts of Briere on LW.

As was pointed out, his primary production came on the powerplay where they had very productive pointmen in Campbell, Pominville, Kotalik, and in '06 Teppo as well as a point-per-game low hub in Briere. Others on that unit included Hecht as the low-screen/puck-digger and later Zubrus.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.