HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My idea: Some like it Ruff

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-04-2010, 09:56 PM
  #51
Espen
Registered User
 
Espen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,587
vCash: 500
Regier is destroying that team right now, not Ruff. Regier has to be one of the worst GM's in the NHL right now.

Lindy Ruff is in my opinion a top three coach in the NHL, and to get him to Pittsburgh would be a dream come true.

Espen is offline  
Old
11-04-2010, 11:38 PM
  #52
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,900
vCash: 500
Agree with Espen and most the comments in this thread .

Lindy Ruff is one of the best x's and o's guys in the league. I'd love to try and see what that element would bring to this team, because it has been a hell of a long time since we've had it - and never in the Crosby era.


Last edited by Tender Rip: 11-05-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Tender Rip is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 12:03 AM
  #53
High Flying Birds
Registered User
 
High Flying Birds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cascadia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Remember last year when the powerplay used to be Therrien's fault? And then it was Yeo's fault?

Our Powerplay is what's hurting this team, not coaching.
You're delusional if you think Bylsma isn't part of the problem.

And yes, Ruff would be great. Or Trotz. But it seems unlikely unless games like Dallas start happening night in and night out. That's not gonna happen with the talent this team has. Good enough to get into the playoffs most likely not good enough to go all the way again with the coaching.

High Flying Birds is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 12:39 AM
  #54
PittPen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
I vote for Dave King.

A great hockey mind and might be the best bet to get the most out of Malkin, which we will need if we have any Cup aspirations.

Don't know if he'd be interested in head coaching at this point in his life though.

Doesn't seem like a Shero type of guy anyway.

PittPen is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 01:17 AM
  #55
Bishop7979
Registered User
 
Bishop7979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPen View Post
I vote for Dave King.

A great hockey mind and might be the best bet to get the most out of Malkin, which we will need if we have any Cup aspirations.

Don't know if he'd be interested in head coaching at this point in his life though.

Doesn't seem like a Shero type of guy anyway.
I find it strange though that King was basically banished to europe for so long, I mean the guy bounced between what Russia, sweden and germany after getting canned by the BJs before getting hired by Pho last year.

For a while there I felt like he and Nolan were the two coaches who deserved another shot at the NHL level but for whatever reason just werent getting it, whether or not that was due to being black balled as some have said about Nolan, I didnt know.

Bishop7979 is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 10:42 AM
  #56
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,401
vCash: 500
Nolan...

Haven't heard that name in a while.

JTG is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 11:36 AM
  #57
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,492
vCash: 500
Yeah let's go get the guy that's missed the playoffs 5 of the last 10 years, who's had Vanek regress into a shell of the goal scorer he once was, where Tim Connelly has never hit his potential and Tyler Myers went from rookie of the year to a lovely - 12.

I don't blame all of it on Ruff of course, but I'd imagine if the roles were reversed right now I'd be seeing a lot of pitchforks and torches.

MtlPenFan is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 01:31 PM
  #58
IHWR
The Chiropractor
 
IHWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Yeah let's go get the guy that's missed the playoffs 5 of the last 10 years, who's had Vanek regress into a shell of the goal scorer he once was, where Tim Connelly has never hit his potential and Tyler Myers went from rookie of the year to a lovely - 12.

I don't blame all of it on Ruff of course, but I'd imagine if the roles were reversed right now I'd be seeing a lot of pitchforks and torches.
You're incorrigible.

IHWR is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 01:45 PM
  #59
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
You're incorrigible.
Why? Because I'm not going on name recognition or as I can now clearly see, the fact that Ruff isn't Bylsma?

Missing the playoffs an average of every 2nd year for the last decade impresses you?

Since we're all on player development, what's happened to Vanek who was one of the better natural scorers in the league? Why is Connolly considered one of the bigger underachievers in the league? What's happening to Tyler Myers who went from rookie of the year to struggling mightily this year?

MtlPenFan is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 02:42 PM
  #60
AquaticBirdman
Registered User
 
AquaticBirdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,644
vCash: 500
I hear Patrick Roy is doing some great things down in the QMJHL. Hmmmm yesssss hmmmmmmmmm

AquaticBirdman is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 03:27 PM
  #61
IHWR
The Chiropractor
 
IHWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Why? Because I'm not going on name recognition or as I can now clearly see, the fact that Ruff isn't Bylsma?

Missing the playoffs an average of every 2nd year for the last decade impresses you?

Since we're all on player development, what's happened to Vanek who was one of the better natural scorers in the league? Why is Connolly considered one of the bigger underachievers in the league? What's happening to Tyler Myers who went from rookie of the year to struggling mightily this year?
Look at some of those team's Ruff and Miller dragged into the playoffs and beyond. Their free agents routinely leave and aren't replaced. He is a great x's and o's coach and knows how to put together and develop lines.

He's a Jack Adams winner, assistant coach for team Canada in the 2010 Olympics and has nearly 1,000 games behind the bench in the NHL.

Keep looking at his hockeydb page to calculate how often he doesn't make the playoffs. He's been to one cup final and 4 conference finals...and never with a powerhouse lineup.

But you're right...Myers is struggling. But maybe that has as much to do with the Sabres losing guys like Tallinder and Lydman. I don't get the Connelly hate...guy put up 65 last year in his first relatively healthy season since the lockout. And as for Vanek? I dunno...maybe your guess is as good as mine, but I hardly think coaching is the issue. He got paid and his stats have gone down ever since. This is where you tell me that a coach needs to motivate his players and I say that that's stupid.

To try and **** of Lindy Ruff is ********. He's exactly what this team needs. You're really putting the MTL in your username with this type of talk.

Or maybe you're just trying to be "outrageous guy"...

"Hey...did you see what outrageous guy said today? Boy, did he really disagree with everyone!"

"Hey...outrageous guy is at it again! He takes the stances others are afraid to".

"Hey...outrageous guy is letting his opinions be heard even if it isn't popular!"

"I wish I could be as courageous as outrageous guy! Disagreeing with the majority makes him smart and interesting to listen to!"

"Outrageous guy doesn't care what other people think of him. I wonder if he'd get with me?"

Beat it dummy. You're being an idiot.

IHWR is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 03:30 PM
  #62
Energise
Registered User
 
Energise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Phog
Country: United States
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Why? Because I'm not going on name recognition or as I can now clearly see, the fact that Ruff isn't Bylsma?

Missing the playoffs an average of every 2nd year for the last decade impresses you?

Since we're all on player development, what's happened to Vanek who was one of the better natural scorers in the league? Why is Connolly considered one of the bigger underachievers in the league? What's happening to Tyler Myers who went from rookie of the year to struggling mightily this year?
The opinions on Vanek around here are so different fan to fan. For me in Readers Digest length, he's great on the PP parked in front cleaning up garbage and on deflections. He became a better two way player under the guidance of Ruff but he isn't worth the money he's making. He needs a true #1 center for him to blossom. Vanek's only 80+ point season was the year they went to the ECF when Briere and Drury were still around.

Connolly is a PPG player when HEALTHY which is a rarity to be frank. His health has nothing to do with Lindy.

Myers, in my opinion, is struggling because the team is forced to rely too heavily on him. The departures of Tallinder and Lydman are hurting their blueline. Rivet has been miserable. Leopold, as we all know, can chip in offensively but isn't exactly anything to write home about defensively. Myers was shutting down top lines last year, yes, but they were also playing better team defense as a whole last year. The forwards deserve some blame here as well.

If you want to start pointing fingers, its Regier, not Lindy. Regier likes to sit on his hands. The people of this area have nothing to get excited about because, quite frankly, he hasn't made a splash in free agency or at the deadline in some time. Ruff has, yet again, nothing to work with. He has managed to get more out of nothing than anyone else I've seen in this league.

Energise is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 03:32 PM
  #63
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 39,592
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Why? Because I'm not going on name recognition or as I can now clearly see, the fact that Ruff isn't Bylsma?

Missing the playoffs an average of every 2nd year for the last decade impresses you?

Since we're all on player development, what's happened to Vanek who was one of the better natural scorers in the league? Why is Connolly considered one of the bigger underachievers in the league? What's happening to Tyler Myers who went from rookie of the year to struggling mightily this year?

Man... this is like a druggie hitting rock bottom. You will be in the largest minority (oxymoron) ever created in the hockey world.

It's okay to admit you don't know much about the guy and just checked his stats out. Ruff is the real deal...

ColePens is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 03:36 PM
  #64
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,401
vCash: 500
Vanek's decline coincided with the loss of Briere and Drury...whom they have never adequately replaced. Such is the story in Buffalo. That's not Ruff's doings. That guy has squeezed the pulp out of that team's potential since he has been there. He's had a rough patch recently, but stating how unsuccessful his team's have been purely based on wins and losses is like stating a guys defensive aptitude by using +/-. Add a little more to what you are saying.

JTG is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 03:57 PM
  #65
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Why? Because I'm not going on name recognition or as I can now clearly see, the fact that Ruff isn't Bylsma?

Missing the playoffs an average of every 2nd year for the last decade impresses you?

Since we're all on player development, what's happened to Vanek who was one of the better natural scorers in the league? Why is Connolly considered one of the bigger underachievers in the league? What's happening to Tyler Myers who went from rookie of the year to struggling mightily this year?
You make some good points. People want to hold Bylsma accountable for not getting the most out of Malkin, but not Ruff for a handful of his guys underachieving. You can't have it both ways.

People bring up other guys like Dave Tippett, but I can remember Dallas fans wanting to run him out of town at the end. Every fan base has a portion of fans like that. It doesn't matter who the team hires since those fans will be here clammering for the coach to be fired as soon as the team hits a tough stretch.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 04:16 PM
  #66
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Man... this is like a druggie hitting rock bottom. You will be in the largest minority (oxymoron) ever created in the hockey world.

It's okay to admit you don't know much about the guy and just checked his stats out. Ruff is the real deal...
Like I said in my first post: I don't put all my negatives points about Ruff's tenure on him, as there are tons of variables involved as to what makes a coach successful and what doesn't

And puh-leeze with the HockeyDB comments. I watch plenty of hockey that doesn't involve the Pens, and I play(ed) - almost too much, but if makes you feel better to equate my opinion of Ruff with...whatever it is you said, then have at it.

My main point is, if the roles were somewhat reversed and the current scapegoat had such a spotty record the past couple of years, you'd all be losing your minds.

You call out supposed lack of player development, and I reciprocated.

Someone points to Connoly's health being a contributing factor to him not blooming, I can turn around and point out that we haven't exactly been at full health for a while, including last year.

And whoever said that the Sabres were shorthanded with their roster when they took a couple of decent runs a couple of years ago? You're the one(s) who actually need to watch more.

Roy, Pominville, Briere, Drury, Vanek, Connoly, Afineganov. Oh, and that Miller guy.

Oh yeah, they were very shorthanded

MtlPenFan is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 04:41 PM
  #67
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
You make some good points. People want to hold Bylsma accountable for not getting the most out of Malkin, but not Ruff for a handful of his guys underachieving. You can't have it both ways.

People bring up other guys like Dave Tippett, but I can remember Dallas fans wanting to run him out of town at the end. Every fan base has a portion of fans like that. It doesn't matter who the team hires since those fans will be here clammering for the coach to be fired as soon as the team hits a tough stretch.
Are you newer here than I am? There's all kinds of that going on.

Funny thing is, you point out the exact same arguments against their chosen one - with actual facts and common sense arguments (with a little Devil's Advocate tossed in) and you get a Fox News type bullying response in return. I don't know hockey? I'd ****ing love to suit up against anyone on here.

However, it's actually more insulting to be told that Ruff's lineup a few years ago was somehow pedestrian Pominville, Roy, Vanek, Afineganov, Briere, Drury, and a Vezina trophy winner in the making in Ryan Miller. You better ****ing do something with lineup.

Oh, but then they'll point out to a dozen years ago, where they conveniently forget that Hasek was not only a perennial Vezina winner, but was in serious running for league MVP's. Last I heard, when your goalie is THAT valuable, he probably has more to do with winning than X's and O's.

MtlPenFan is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 05:10 PM
  #68
IHWR
The Chiropractor
 
IHWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,396
vCash: 500
Yah...outrageous guy is back. What quote of yours will he twist to make his point next?

IHWR is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 05:25 PM
  #69
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 36,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Yeah let's go get the guy that's missed the playoffs 5 of the last 10 years, who's had Vanek regress into a shell of the goal scorer he once was, where Tim Connelly has never hit his potential and Tyler Myers went from rookie of the year to a lovely - 12.

I don't blame all of it on Ruff of course, but I'd imagine if the roles were reversed right now I'd be seeing a lot of pitchforks and torches.
I concur . . . I'd much rather have a coach who has taken one of the top three forwards in hockey and, with his trusty sidekick, former Avs coach, Tony Granato, has turned that player into Wutjek Wolski (Avs version) 2.0.

KIRK is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 05:28 PM
  #70
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 36,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
You make some good points. People want to hold Bylsma accountable for not getting the most out of Malkin, but not Ruff for a handful of his guys underachieving. You can't have it both ways.

People bring up other guys like Dave Tippett, but I can remember Dallas fans wanting to run him out of town at the end. Every fan base has a portion of fans like that. It doesn't matter who the team hires since those fans will be here clammering for the coach to be fired as soon as the team hits a tough stretch.
Perhaps the point at the end of the day is that all coaches, no matter the hand they're dealt by their GM's and even the great coaches, have shelf lives. Therrien assuredly had his, and the only debate was when he'd reached that point. The only person who seems to be immune from this rule of thumb about coaching in hockey is, in the minds of some people, Dan Bylsma.

KIRK is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 05:33 PM
  #71
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 39,592
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Are you newer here than I am? There's all kinds of that going on.

Funny thing is, you point out the exact same arguments against their chosen one - with actual facts and common sense arguments (with a little Devil's Advocate tossed in) and you get a Fox News type bullying response in return. I don't know hockey? I'd ****ing love to suit up against anyone on here.

However, it's actually more insulting to be told that Ruff's lineup a few years ago was somehow pedestrian Pominville, Roy, Vanek, Afineganov, Briere, Drury, and a Vezina trophy winner in the making in Ryan Miller. You better ****ing do something with lineup.

Oh, but then they'll point out to a dozen years ago, where they conveniently forget that Hasek was not only a perennial Vezina winner, but was in serious running for league MVP's. Last I heard, when your goalie is THAT valuable, he probably has more to do with winning than X's and O's.
People aren't ganging up on you. This mindless argument is that bad. I mean, really, that bad. I don't care if you differ from every person's opinion and think you are the greatest hockey mind ever.

I'll go as far as saying Vanek, Afineganov, Briere, and Drury aren't players I want as stars on my team. Not anywhere close. Derek Roy is a leader by the way he plays the game, but isn't even close to being a leader in skill.

I would say Ruff has gotten all of these guys to play so far above their level, it's ridiculous. Look how many times we've seen Briere struggle. Drury has had his fair share of inconsistent soft years as well. Vanek discussion has happened a million times, and last year nobody even wanted Mad Max.

If you really look at any of those players outside of Miller and think they are stars you build around, then you are insane. It's been proven to not work as well by every GM who pays outrageous money for them and wonders why they aren't 100 pt scorers.

Hang up this argument as quickly as possible. I've been wrong plenty of times before. Mainly when it comes to Ryan Malone. I thought the guy was garbage and was lazy. He was dynamic as ever when Geno/Sykie and he took over the league.

That's the main reason we are sitting in front of a computer screen, fans of the game, making comments.

ColePens is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 06:06 PM
  #72
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
People aren't ganging up on you. This mindless argument is that bad. I mean, really, that bad. I don't care if you differ from every person's opinion and think you are the greatest hockey mind ever.

I'll go as far as saying Vanek, Afineganov, Briere, and Drury aren't players I want as stars on my team. Not anywhere close. Derek Roy is a leader by the way he plays the game, but isn't even close to being a leader in skill.

I would say Ruff has gotten all of these guys to play so far above their level, it's ridiculous. Look how many times we've seen Briere struggle. Drury has had his fair share of inconsistent soft years as well. Vanek discussion has happened a million times, and last year nobody even wanted Mad Max.

If you really look at any of those players outside of Miller and think they are stars you build around, then you are insane. It's been proven to not work as well by every GM who pays outrageous money for them and wonders why they aren't 100 pt scorers.

Hang up this argument as quickly as possible. I've been wrong plenty of times before. Mainly when it comes to Ryan Malone. I thought the guy was garbage and was lazy. He was dynamic as ever when Geno/Sykie and he took over the league.

That's the main reason we are sitting in front of a computer screen, fans of the game, making comments.
Nobody said they were stars, but to dismiss them as run of the mill players is ridiculous. You're going to sit there and tell me you wouldn't pick any two of those guys in their prime over ANYTHING we have now other than Sid and Geno? Even you can't tell me that anybody on the Pens (other than Sid and Geno) who have been in the league for a couple of years outside of maybe TK has any hope of getting better, no matter who coaches them.

Look back and tell me once where I said Bylsma's a better coach. All I'm saying is that you can apply many of the same negative comments about Bylsma to Ruff if that's the game I choose to play.

Drury did more than fine in Colorado considering that he wasn't the focal point on a team filled with a ton of talent and he did exactly what he was expected to when he went to Buffalo. There was already a track record there before he even stepped foot in Buffalo.

As far as Briere's concerned, I'm not exactly sure when he's struggled for any extended period of time as you claim. All that guy's ever done is score goals no matter who he played for.

Not being household names is one thing, but naming a half dozen guys who've had 25-30 goal seasons (some having multiple ones) including some in the high 30's and even 40's isn't exactly a staff playing with a short deck. Add a great goaltender to the equation - and call me crazy, but it looks like a pretty good team to me.


Last edited by MtlPenFan: 11-05-2010 at 06:13 PM.
MtlPenFan is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 07:04 PM
  #73
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist
 
TravisUlrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopens66 View Post
It was always Yeo's fault. He was the powerplay coach under Therrien. Now that he's gone, it hasn't gotten better, but worse.
And so Ruff is going to magically turn around our powerplay? You guys, are looking for band-aid answers if you want to fire Bylsma. ****, this has to be the most spoiled fanbase in the NHL.

TravisUlrich is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 12:53 AM
  #74
schommer75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Bump for conversation 2 years later this theard never left the back of my mind after the game tonight it seems all to perfect

schommer75 is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 01:30 AM
  #75
aSockalypse
Registered User
 
aSockalypse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by schommer75 View Post
Bump for conversation 2 years later this theard never left the back of my mind after the game tonight it seems all to perfect
LOL, I was reading through this like "Why the **** are people talking about MT and Yeo???? Our PP is like 2nd in the league... huh? Those guys don't even play in Buffalo anymore"

Then I looked at the dates / last post.

aSockalypse is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.