HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Carcillo-Fedotenko incident

Old
11-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
The Carcillo-Fedotenko incident

The ref blew the call then told Feds not to duck. That is ****ing awful officiating.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 03:48 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
I don't understand...this is the NHL, right? So you're surprised by poor officiating? Don Van Massenhoven not only continues to be allowed to call games, but is treated with respect. That's all you need to know about how officiating in the NHL works.

Every team has to deal with it on any given night.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 03:48 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Shoulda been a penalty, but imo, there shouldn't be a suspension. He got him in the head, but it looked like he tried to avoid him. I don't see the M.O.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 03:49 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Absolutely ridiculous.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

he shoulda gotten the gate and gotten a 2-3 game suspension as a repeat offender.

just my 2 cents.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 03:51 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Honestly, I hate Carcillo, but it wasn't really that dirty. Fedetenko lowering his head in that situation makes contact virtually unavoidable and Carcillo barely clipped him. Feds milked it (also didn't miss a shift). Carcillo should have gotten 2 for charging and that's it. I really can't stand Carcillo, but having played hockey my whole life and college hockey where the game gets seriously physical, I can't see this really ever getting called with the way Fedetenko falls before there's impact.

Edit: Also, people on HF in tons of cases are always saying such and such a player left his feet! dirty hit! but if you've ever played full contact hockey you'd know that you almost always leave your feet at/immediately after contact. It's really hard to look at the video of Carcillo's hit and see his feet off the ice more than an instant before the impact and certainly not the jumping "into" the hit that's actually supposed to be disciplined.

Last edited by SERE 24: 11-05-2010 at 03:56 PM.
SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Richard Brads

if that doesn't get reviewed by the league i'm really going to disgusted. that would send the message that because feds wasn't knocked unconsious on the ice it's not worth a review.

i have no doubt that if he suffered a serious injury carcillo would be suspended for a LONG time because not only did he obviously go for a head shot, but he left his friggin feet. i mean come on

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 03:53 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Im glad they didnt toss him because then i wouldn't have gotten to see Prust beat him down later in the game.

Prust is going to lay someone out this season, i dont know when or where but its going to happen.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 03:55 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepanToGaborik View Post
Shoulda been a penalty, but imo, there shouldn't be a suspension. He got him in the head, but it looked like he tried to avoid him. I don't see the M.O.
This

Although, many have done much less to get suspended this season...had Fedotenko not come back to the game and missed a few games, I wonder if it changes anything (not that it should).

I was pretty pissed there was a no call. It was pretty clear he left his feet. I don't think the "shoulder punch" was really there that they've been trying to crack down on, however.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 03:55 PM
terrrrrible

Maybe the replay isn't that great, or I'm just blind, but to me it looks like Carcillo was standing in place until Fedotenko comes over, THEN he starts to move, and hits him in the head. I read a quote from Carcillo on Yahoo that he was going for the puck, but if you watch the puck, it was way to Fedotenko's left when Carcillo was going after him. Plus, there were multiple Flyers already around Fedotenko, so I didn't see the need for Carcillo to go after him like that.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r32YVdIb98g

shoulda been five

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:12 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

A head shot is a head shot.

All I've been hearing about on XM and NHL Network over and over is how the players need to be protected and outlawing head shots.

That was a clear bush league head shot, and he deserves a suspension.

Plain and simple.

There can not be discression on this matter, or it will continue to be a problem.

Let's look at it this way, the league doesn't give a crap because it was Fedotenko. If that were Crosby, the league would be up in arms and beside itself.

There was also a slew foot in the game last night, that could have resulted in a concussion to Grachev. But again, its Grachev, so what does the league care? If that were Toews, or any other Canadian-born poster-boy, the league would have vomitted all over itself.

Discression is not going to help anything.

Strict mandate will prevent these blind sided hits to the head and other wreckless incidents like slew foots and so on.

If there's a hit to the head, the guilty player goes straight to the locker room, is suspended, fined, and the team should be fined, so the player is further shamed and less likely to repeat the offense.

That's the only way to get those selfish dangerous plays out of the game.

I like big hits, but clean hits to players who can see the hit coming.

I don't like to see guys rag-dolled and laying unconcious on the ice. I also don't like seeing guys thrown head-first into the board from behind. Risking serious life threatening injury.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:12 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

2 minutes for leaving your feet, no suspension necessary.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:15 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Here's another thing, Carcillo is a grade-A *******. And the refs should be aware of those players when they're on the ice.

Carcillo, Jarkko Ruutu... Players who have a history of selfish behavior on the ice.

There's no excuse for not suspending the two gulty players in the NHL last night (there was another head shot in another game last night).

With all the talk about it, they need to walk the walk.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:18 PM
useref15

If Avery did that you know its a misconduct and hes suspended.

Fortunately, Feds wasn't hurt bad, but if he was...I believe they would have called it differently. You only see suspensions when a player gets hurt, which is totally wrong.

useref15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:20 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Watching the video, it looks even more obvious that he RAISES HIS KNEE to catch Feds in the face, and the puck is NOWHERE near him.

****ing joke.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
2 minutes for leaving your feet, no suspension necessary.
Yeah, that's my assessment as well.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:34 PM
ck20

vCash: 50
Carcillo left his feet which, in itself, should be cause for suspension regardless of if he nailed Feds flush in the head. He left his feet with what seemed to be the intention of actually turning his face inside out. Had Feds actually stood straight up, he would've caught Carcillo's elbow straight in the mouth.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:55 PM
eco's bones

Left his feet and hit Fedotenko in the head and it's questionable whether Fedotenko saw it coming at all. A dangerous play and Carcillo is known for making them. I guess they might wait until he really does hurt someone before they suspend him. I really was amazed that Timonen got away with throwing Callahan head first into the boards and moments later Staal got a boarding penalty for a hit on Zherdev that was nowhere near as dangerous. It was badly officiated last night and one sided as well--and I'm not sure the Flyers really needed the extra help. They got it anyway.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:22 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Carcillo said after the game: "It was an awkward position and it happened pretty quick. He was kind of falling down. I donít know if he ducked of what he did, but it was a weird, weird hit." No penalty was called, but Carcillo admitted that he was surprised that NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell never scheduled a conference call with him. Carcillo has a history of suspensions, but it looks like he'll be available for Saturday's contest

Really the only awkward position I saw was the dirtbags two feet airborne and him flying towered fedotanko. He ducked? So in the split second u realized u were not going to hit him high you lowered your elbow to connect with his head. That was such a scummy hit and it's absolutely rediculous he wasn't disciplined somehow. But that's the NHL turning its head because they don't want to deal with it...

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:23 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Carcillo said after the game: "It was an awkward position and it happened pretty quick. He was kind of falling down. I donít know if he ducked of what he did, but it was a weird, weird hit." No penalty was called, but Carcillo admitted that he was surprised that NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell never scheduled a conference call with him. Carcillo has a history of suspensions, but it looks like he'll be available for Saturday's contest

Really the only awkward position I saw was the dirtbags two feet airborne and him flying towered fedotanko. He ducked? So in the split second u realized u were not going to hit him high you lowered your elbow to connect with his head. That was such a scummy hit and it's absolutely rediculous he wasn't disciplined somehow. But that's the NHL turning its head because they don't want to deal with it or have to realize their officiating is horrible.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:24 PM
truebluegoalie

I thought it was a dirty hit. He saw feds in a vulnerable position and took three or four full strides from a standstill and laid into him in the head while he was in a vulnerable position and unaware. Questionable whether he left his feet before or after the hit, as someone else posted those are tough to call sometimes.
But lets face it, this is carcillo, he isn't going to win a lady byng award anytime soon.

Joe Thornton meanwhile got suspended last night for a hit to the head, that looked a lot more incidental than the Carcillo hit did. But I guess that is just about right considering the inconsistencies in this league's suspensions and penalties.

I think if anything it wasn't disciplined because the league doesn't want to admit that maybe there should have been a call on the play.

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A lateral or blind side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principle point of contact is not permitted.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Elvis Presley
Aka #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V6BhDqfNL4

after reviewing hits from that video and last nights. i think there should have been discipline if the nhl wants to enforce this rule and get the hits out of the game.
doesnt matter if he was seriously injured or not.

Elvis Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:38 PM
JerseyRangers

I've watched the hit a few times from different angles and still not sure. Given that it was Carcillo I'd have to say he went for the head - he's a piece of chit so thats crap he will do. I would have smashed him face first into the boards the final two minutes if I was on the ice. Overall I not that shocked.

Now the Timonnen play and the slew foot were alot worse and worthy of a major and/or suspension. Timonnen could have seriously injured Callahan and I've always hated slew foot penalties. Thats the most gutless thing you can do to another player. You didn't see it as much in the 70's cause if you did it you'd get beaten down like almost nothing else. That can seriously injure a player and there should be no room in the NHL for that crap. These refs obviously had a couple bucks on the game so they had to let the Cryers do this crap.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:41 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Leaving your feat, head shot, and a repeat offender...ridiculous!!! If it were Avery you think he gets the benefit of the doubt?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote