HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Going to the gym the same day you have a game?

Old
11-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Maxpac

vCash: 500
Going to the gym the same day you have a game?

Good? bad? Doesn't matter?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Brunomics

Depends on how soon before the game, I go the same day all the time. If you go in the morning and have a game at night or whatnot it doesn't affect you at all. I wouldn't reccomend going right before your game though then you might have an issue.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Maxpac

I want to go in the afternoon and my game is at 11:30 tonight. I want to do cardio for the day, will it affect my energy for tonight?

Old
11-05-2010, 10:20 AM
ponder

I go to the gym every M, Tu, Th, F, if I happen to have a game that night I never take the day off. Doesn't seem to affect my game much, if at all, I work out at lunch and my games normally start around 7:30-10:30 pm.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Maxpac

Thank you guys, really appreciate it, Cardio for the day it is then lol.

Old
11-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wouldn't do cardio on game days, since it eats up glycogen and you want that for the games. A little lifting and flexibility won't hurt and could help if it isn't too intense or close to game time IMO.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:41 AM
frito

I think it depends what you do the rest of the day (desk monkey like me, construction worker etc.) I actually have found that I play way better on days when I am working hard doing yard work etc. all day vs. days when I sit behind the desk all day and don't do any physical activity prior to the game. In the latter case, I usually have no skating legs until the third period.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:48 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If you're working out your upper body, it shouldn't be too big of a deal (I've done it before). You can probably also do very light cardio, exercise bike, something like that. However, make sure it's quite a few hours before you play.

Squats, Dead lifts, or any exercise that will hit your lower body and lower back is suicide. Heck, even doing any of those things a day before hockey is bad news.

One time I did dead lifts the day before playing. I figured, ah, it's only dead lifts. Next day, by the 2nd period my lower back was so exhausted, I felt like crap the rest of the game.

If you do squats or any kind of leg workout, your legs will be shot in the 1st period.

I tend to try to leave squats/legs, dead lifts & heavy cardio a 48 hour gap before games. Anything else is fair game.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 03:34 PM
ponder

It's one thing if you're playing in a competitive league and going for every ounce of performance, but honestly I will absolutely murder myself with squats and deadlifts and play a game 7-10 hours later and not notice a big drop in endurance/performance, certainly not enough to warrant screwing up my workout schedule for a beer league game. If I haven't been working out regularly, then yes, squats/deadlifts make me useless for days, but once really in the swing of my workout routine (I do squats/deadlifts twice a week) my legs are feeling pretty fine by my nighttime games from a midday workout. I drink a protein shake before and after every workout though, which probably helps my recovery.

For example, on days where I'm busy and skip dinner it affects my performance MUCH more than days where I workout hard midday. Can't really comment on cardio though, as I don't do much cardio at the gym, I play ice and ball hockey a combined 3ish times a weak which is as much cardio as I need IMO.

Old
11-05-2010, 03:43 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Good? bad? Doesn't matter?
I've done it before practices and nothing house league games (can't in beer league, the guys are too big/strong for me to sacrifice performance and I couldn't run a 5k to save my life these days )... I'd go for a 5k run and do some pushups/pullups about two hours before the game.

Sometimes it felt like it helped be because I was warmed up and stretched out, and other times it hurt. I distinctly remember one game where by the end of the second my legs had absolutely no go at all... I think I was taking 20 second shifts for the entire third.

It was a lot of stress on my body, and in hindsight I almost wish I hadn't done it so much (I missed a ton of games due to injury in the latter half, go figure... patellar tendonitis due to overuse).

Anyways, I don't think it would hurt you too much, especially if you're doing it in the morning and playing at night. Just don't try increasing your max squat by 10% on gameday, or you won't have any legs for the game. The pros usually go for a morning skate on game day... although not being a pro I have no idea how intense that is.

Last edited by noobman: 11-05-2010 at 03:51 PM.
noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Lario Melieux*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post

Squats, Dead lifts, or any exercise that will hit your lower body and lower back is suicide. Heck, even doing any of those things a day before hockey is bad news.

this

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:56 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
It's one thing if you're playing in a competitive league and going for every ounce of performance, but honestly I will absolutely murder myself with squats and deadlifts and play a game 7-10 hours later and not notice a big drop in endurance/performance, certainly not enough to warrant screwing up my workout schedule for a beer league game. If I haven't been working out regularly, then yes, squats/deadlifts make me useless for days, but once really in the swing of my workout routine (I do squats/deadlifts twice a week) my legs are feeling pretty fine by my nighttime games from a midday workout. I drink a protein shake before and after every workout though, which probably helps my recovery.

For example, on days where I'm busy and skip dinner it affects my performance MUCH more than days where I workout hard midday. Can't really comment on cardio though, as I don't do much cardio at the gym, I play ice and ball hockey a combined 3ish times a weak which is as much cardio as I need IMO.
I find it hard to believe that if you're hitting squats or dead lifts at high weight and going as hard as you can go, that you'll be able to play at even a decent level. Do you feel sore the next day? I don't care how long I've been doing squats and dead lifts, if you are really working yourself at the gym, you will be sore the next day. If not, you wasted a workout.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
I prefer to work out directly before I play hockey. I have more energy, I feel strong and awake. I don't do cardio, stick to a 7 minute warmup program on the bike and stick to upper body/core stuff, heavy weight/low reps for explosive muscle that recovers quickly. The key to questions like this is try it out and see if it works for you. I would never do cardio or work out my legs before a game but we're all built differently. What's good for one guy may leave you in a heap on the ice crying about your hamstrings during a game. Next thing you know your teammates are dragging you off the ice by your holders and you've been demoted to the human cone league.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 07:54 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I find it hard to believe that if you're hitting squats or dead lifts at high weight and going as hard as you can go, that you'll be able to play at even a decent level. Do you feel sore the next day? I don't care how long I've been doing squats and dead lifts, if you are really working yourself at the gym, you will be sore the next day. If not, you wasted a workout.
I always go full out at the gym, 3rd set is always to failure, once I can do the full number of reps on the 3rd set I know it's time to move the weight up. I do 3x10, so when first moving to a new weight I can normally do something like 10, 10 and 6 reps, once I get to 10/10/10 I bump the weight up again, this keeps me always going hard. I don't really have the time or patience to do 5-6 sets like some guys, though, which would probably kill my muscles a bit more. I'm always a touch sore the day after a workout, but not that sore unless I've taken some time off. I'm sure it affects my hockey/skating a bit when I do my lower body workout on the same day as hockey, but honestly it's not a major difference for me.

Old
11-06-2010, 01:02 AM
SERE 24
LGR

I do cardio EVERY game day, but I either go a good 5+ hours before the game OR I do a light 25 minute bike ride about an hour before I leave for the game.

I don't really lift on gamedays, but I play college puck. Honestly, if I was playing mens league, I wouldn't even blink at this question... I'd go to the gym and do a completely regular work out on gamedays and not even think twice about it.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 01:46 AM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

terrible idea honestly do not do it you will be sluggish and tired come game time

Primetime Powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 12:16 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
I do cardio EVERY game day, but I either go a good 5+ hours before the game OR I do a light 25 minute bike ride about an hour before I leave for the game.

I don't really lift on gamedays, but I play college puck. Honestly, if I was playing mens league, I wouldn't even blink at this question... I'd go to the gym and do a completely regular work out on gamedays and not even think twice about it.
Indeed, my game takes a minor hit from working out 7-10 hours before games, but slightly worse performance in beer league hockey is definitely better than interrupting my workout schedule. I have on average 3 ice and ball hockey games a week combined, if I were to take 48 hours off every time I lifted my workout schedule would be completely f***ed. I guess everyone's body is different, and recovers differently, if working out on game day is totally killing your game then stop, but for me it's a pretty minor difference (in general I'll start to feel a bit gassed in the early 3rd period if I work out the same day, mid 3rd period if I don't). My muscles are often shaking from exhaustion for a couple hours after my workout, but by the time my games come around (7-10 hours later) I feel quite recovered.

When I was playing more competitively, i.e. on my high school hockey team, I wouldn't do much in the way of weight lifting during the season, but that was also cause I was a lazy b**tard in high school

Old
11-06-2010, 01:06 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Yeah, basically, if working out a good 5+ hours before a game, especially at the men's league level is effecting your game noticeably than most likely you simply don't work out enough/have good enough stamina and would ultimately benefit from working out MORE, including on game days, and suffering through the fatigue at games for a while until your body catches up and gets used to the rigor. Right now I am in the gym 5-7 days a week. I lift 4 (switching up muscle groups, obviously) and do cardio every day that I go, so either 5, 6, or 7 days. For the college season, I won't lift on game days, and if I lift at all the day before I keep it lighter than usual, but I do cardio regardles. If I play summer men's league or decide to go to drop in skates (usually actually tougher than men's league with the guys I play with) I'll still lift hard earlier in the day.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Briere Up There*

If I still played competitively, hell no I wouldn't workout before a game. Maybe chest or something, but definitely not anything that would take away from my game. The fact of the matter is I only worked out on the two off days I had from high school hockey.

Nowadays, who cares if I do squats 4 hours before pickup/beerleague.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Bobby 77

I use a dry-land program that creates custom workouts for me. I use a 5 day workout schedule in-season and off-season. The workouts are different depending whether or not your in-season or not but non the less its 5 days a week. I play beer league and agree with Ponder, I'm not screwing up my training schedule for a beer league game. I'm on the ice an average of 2 nights a week and since I have been training on a specific program and I know I have as much left in the tank in the 3rd everyone else. Skipping weight training during the season prevents you from being able to maintain your strength and endurance levels but you need to have the right program.

This is one I use.

Bobby 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Badger36

As long as you have at least a few hours for your body to recover it's energy before you game, you should be fine.
I work 40 hours a week in a factory (standing all day long, lots of heavy lifting and contantly moving) as well as working out every day (weight lifting and running for about 30 minutes a day) and Ive still got plenty of energy left over for playing.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote