HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #6

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2010, 12:37 PM
agrudez*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
What people need to realize about Giroux's fantastic start is he's shooting at nearly 26% (25.9). He'll probably be lucky to shoot at 12% over the course of the season.
Hmmm, I wouldn't be surprised to see Giroux finish with 20-25 goals and a >20% shooting percentage. Most of his goals are from great positioning for one-timers or deking the goalie in close, in essence, very high percentage shots. He doesn't take alot of bad-angle wristers or chest-snipes like Carter which destroy your shooting percentage.

Old
11-05-2010, 12:44 PM
chaosof99*

I've got a new theory. There is this cliche of the player who makes everyone around him better. Ilya Kovalchuk is the exact opposite. He's a player that makes everyone around him play worse.

Old
11-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Hmmm, I wouldn't be surprised to see Giroux finish with 20-25 goals and a >20% shooting percentage. Most of his goals are from great positioning for one-timers or deking the goalie in close, in essence, very high percentage shots. He doesn't take alot of bad-angle wristers or chest-snipes like Carter which destroy your shooting percentage.
That would mean he's taking, at most, 120 shots or so, which would be down from an already low total of 147 last year. He also still will put those "low percentage" shots on net. He can't take chances like Carter because he doesn't have the shot that can actually beat a goalie in that situation.

I'm not saying 20-25 goals is out of reach, I just think it's far more likely to happen with an increase of shots, not a decrease. Guys like him just don't shoot at a percentage like he's got now. Really, no one does.

Last edited by Terence Peterman: 11-05-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old
11-05-2010, 12:59 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
why dont we just enjoying watching a player take his game to another level right before our eyes instead of arguing how many goals hes going to score or whatever.
its early in the season. guys have high shooting percentages and the law of averges suggest it will go down. i still wouldnt be shocked to see Giroux top off at 25-45.

Dubinsky is at 27%
Eriksson is at 33 %
Chris Stewart is at 26 %

Old
11-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
why dont we just enjoying watching a player take his game to another level right before our eyes instead of arguing how many goals hes going to score or whatever.
its early in the season. guys have high shooting percentages and the law of averges suggest it will go down. i still wouldnt be shocked to see Giroux top off at 25-45.

Dubinsky is at 27%
Eriksson is at 33 %
Chris Stewart is at 26 %
I'm not trying to spoil the fun of watching him tear it up early. I'm just saying there could be a more practical viewpoint to take, acknowledging exactly what you did with shot percentages around the league.

Old
11-05-2010, 02:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattias_Ritola

Quote:
Controversy and subsequent booing

Sometime prior to November 5, 2010, Ritola did "something" that has caused NHL fans to boo him every time he touches the puck. While the exact nature of the infraction is not known, according to one source [2], "He knows what he did."

Old
11-05-2010, 03:07 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Gotta love DGB.

Old
11-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
I dont know how prospects are handled in fantasy sports but this will be of interest to anyone that may have Morin in some sort of game

Morin will make his NHL debut Saturday vs Thrashers

Very excited for this game

Ladd , Buff , Eager and Sopel facing Hawks while Morin faces team that drafted him

Old
11-05-2010, 03:53 PM
chaosof99*

Holy fork, they've actually suspended Thornton for 2 games.

Old
11-05-2010, 04:48 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I dont know how prospects are handled in fantasy sports but this will be of interest to anyone that may have Morin in some sort of game

Morin will make his NHL debut Saturday vs Thrashers

Very excited for this game

Ladd , Buff , Eager and Sopel facing Hawks while Morin faces team that drafted him
Thanks for the heads up - not for fantasy purposes but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on Morin.

Old
11-05-2010, 04:51 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Holy fork, they've actually suspended Thornton for 2 games.
biggest joke ever

Old
11-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Garbage Goal

Not sure if I agree with suspending Thornton, but it's at least good to see that the league is willing to suspend guy like him still (meaning, stars with no reputation).

After the Hawks Cup win last year, Toews seemingly became the single most over-rated player in the league to me. He doesn't even with the Conn Smythe if his team wins (Briere and Pronger both arguably deserved it as much or more then him).

He's a great player, but there were polls and discussions on here and on the internet that pegged him as a top five forward in the league. It was ridiculous. The guy has never scratched 70 points and people were considering him an elite forward because of all the hype off of the Cup win (a team accomplishment) and the Conn Smythe win (personally, I don't put much stake into NHL awards, aside from the Cup).

Old
11-05-2010, 05:34 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Thanks for the heads up - not for fantasy purposes but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on Morin.
Again, the NHL loves to investigate contracts while some how ignoring that somebody in Chicago's front office goes to ATL and gift-wraps them a way out of their salary hell.

****ing BS.

Old
11-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Again, the NHL loves to investigate contracts while some how ignoring that somebody in Chicago's front office goes to ATL and gift-wraps them a way out of their salary hell.

****ing BS.
1st off Dudley is a terrible GM

2nd off it was an expensive gift wrap for Thrashers

LW Jeremy Morin (2nd rounder in 09)
D Ivan Vishnevskiy (1st rounder in 06)
2010 1st round pick ( LW/RW Jimmy Hayes)
2010 2nd round pick ( D Justin Holl)
2011 2nd round pick

They also took that headcase off our hands (Aliu)

Old
11-05-2010, 06:04 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
1st off Dudley is a terrible GM

2nd off it was an expensive gift wrap for Thrashers

LW Jeremy Morin (2nd rounder in 09)
D Ivan Vishnevskiy (1st rounder in 06)
2010 1st round pick ( LW/RW Jimmy Hayes)
2010 2nd round pick ( D Justin Holl)
2011 2nd round pick

They also took that headcase off our hands (Aliu)
Exactly, Morin starts becoming a top prospect, promptly traded for Chicago's extra trash and you guys get to restock with picks while the Thrashers pick up retreads.

Sorry, but that's farcical and the NHL should investigate a bit considering the connection.

Old
11-05-2010, 06:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

****ing BS.
Well...is Atlanta supposed to just sit there and not taken decent players? Maybe it was overpaying somewhat, but if you're Atlanta and I can get some guys who know how to win now, I'm on that.

Old
11-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Exactly, Morin starts becoming a top prospect, promptly traded for Chicago's extra trash and you guys get to restock with picks while the Thrashers pick up retreads.

Sorry, but that's farcical and the NHL should investigate a bit considering the connection.
Dudley didn't like Morin or Vishnevskiy as prospects and was looking to move them

Aliu was only drafted by Hawks because of Dudley. Dudley was the defender of Aliu

Stan Bowman was glad to get rid of the cancer. Only reason Morin was put in trade was because Dudley wanted Aliu that much

Once again Dudley is a poor GM and Aliu/Morin swap is gonna haunt Thrashers IMO

Old
11-05-2010, 06:41 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Well...is Atlanta supposed to just sit there and not taken decent players? Maybe it was overpaying somewhat, but if you're Atlanta and I can get some guys who know how to win now, I'm on that.
None of the guys ATL got was a top-12 player on Chicago's team, so there's that little problem.

@ BlackhawkswinCup, the idea of not liking Morin as a prospect after a pretty big year is just retarded. I mean, either the Hawks implanted a functional moron in ATL's front office or there's something fishy going on here.

Old
11-05-2010, 07:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Byfuglien and Ladd are Atlanta's top two scorers. Ladd leads their forwards in ice time, and Byfuglien 2nd overall. It's not like they showed up and have played like slugs, they're doing exactly what's been expected of them.

Old
11-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Garbage Goal

Watching the Devs-Rags game and one of the announcers just said "...here's Gionta on the rush for the Devils" and never bothered to correct himself.

I thought I was watching an old replay of a game or something at first.

Old
11-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Garbage Goal

Wow, my bad, the Devils actually do have a player named Gionta playing.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8472410

He's a 27 year-old crap AHL fodder. Seems like an odd guy to call up. They must be running really short on guys to call up or something.

Old
11-05-2010, 07:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Yeah, it's his younger brother. Also went to BC.

Old
11-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
None of the guys ATL got was a top-12 player on Chicago's team, so there's that little problem.

@ BlackhawkswinCup, the idea of not liking Morin as a prospect after a pretty big year is just retarded. I mean, either the Hawks implanted a functional moron in ATL's front office or there's something fishy going on here.
Dudley had stated before trade he doubted Morin's skating ablility to play in NHL

Old
11-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:

Ladd was our 3rd line LW the last 2 years and Buff shifted from 3rd line to 1st line often (And to D when Campbell got hurt)

So yes Ladd and Buff were top 12 players

Old
11-06-2010, 12:08 AM
Kaktus*

Ducks hold off Pens in 3rd.

Closed Thread