HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Intriguing Goaltender Prospects/Backups

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2005, 10:13 PM
silver_made*

vCash: 500
Intriguing Goaltender Prospects/Backups

first, rank 'em. secondly, give me your outlook on their careers (soon to be starter, perpetual backup, traded to become a starter, minor leaguer, etc.). I will list whom they backup.

Vesa Toskala (Evgeni Nabokov)
Ilja Bryzgalov (Jean-Sebastien Giguere)
Jason Bacashihua (Lalime, and eventually Schwarz)
Michael Leighton (Thibault)
Hannu Toivonen (Raycroft)
Ryan Munce (Garon)
Antero Niittymaki (Esche)
Alex Auld (Clouter)
Ari Ahonen (Brodeur)
Brian Finley (Vokoun)
Pascal Leclaire (Denis)
Yann Danis (Theodore)

Last edited by silver_made*: 05-17-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Old
05-17-2005, 10:35 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_made
first, rank 'em. secondly, give me your outlook on their careers (soon to be starter, perpetual backup, traded to become a starter, minor leaguer, etc.). I will list whom they backup.

Vesa Toskala (Evgeni Nabokov)
Ilja Bryzgalov (Jean-Sebastien Giguere)
Jason Bacashihua (Lalime, and eventually Schwarz)
Michael Leighton (Thibault)
Hannu Toivonen (Raycroft)
Ryan Munce (Garon)
Antero Niittymaki (Esche)
Alex Auld (Clouter)
Ari Ahonen (Brodeur)
Brian Finley (Vokoun)
Pascal Leclaire (Denis)
Yann Danis (Theodore)
1. Hannu Toivonen

Eventually a number one goalie. If Raycroft holds him off early in his career Toivonen may actually struggle in a backup role before he gets traded. It really depends who Boston thinks will be more reliable.

2. Antero Niittymaki

I really think he is and will be a better goalie than Robert Esche. The goalie controversy will begin in 05-06 or whenever the NHL resumes. Depending on how the AHL playoffs end he could be on an emotional high and just beat Esche early or just give him a run for his money. He'll at least do the latter.

3. Ilya Bryzgalov

I think he'll eventually become a starter because of his talent. Whether he become consistent will mean how good of starter he'll become. If he can put it into gear for an extended period of time he could easily be an 03 Giguere or an 03-04 Kiprusoff.

4. Vesa Toskala

Probably a 1A starter eventually but only if he gets traded. I couldn't ever imagine him beating Nabokov.

5. Yann Danis

I really don't know too much about him but he could become a solid backup. Not sure if he has real starting potential but again he doesn't have much of a chance in Montreal.

6. Michael Leighton

He'll get the starter reigns in Chicago eventually whether he could hold his spot over all of Crawford, Anderson, and Munce is debatable but I think he is better. He shouldn't beat Thibault for a few years though.

7. 5-way tie between Bacashihua/Finley/LeClaire/Ahonen/Auld

All have what it takes but the odds seem to be against them. Ahonen and Finley have aging goaltenders ahead but both will probably be starters until Ahonen and Finley are in their prime years. LeClaire will have to go great to beat out Denis. Bacashihua will probably become a good backup to Schwartz more likely than not. Auld needs to kick it in gear soon if he wants a future in the NHL.

8. Munce

He might become a decent backup but I don't think much more than that.

Old
05-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
1. Hannu Toivonen

Eventually a number one goalie. If Raycroft holds him off early in his career Toivonen may actually struggle in a backup role before he gets traded. It really depends who Boston thinks will be more reliable.

2. Antero Niittymaki

I really think he is and will be a better goalie than Robert Esche. The goalie controversy will begin in 05-06 or whenever the NHL resumes. Depending on how the AHL playoffs end he could be on an emotional high and just beat Esche early or just give him a run for his money. He'll at least do the latter.

3. Ilya Bryzgalov

I think he'll eventually become a starter because of his talent. Whether he become consistent will mean how good of starter he'll become. If he can put it into gear for an extended period of time he could easily be an 03 Giguere or an 03-04 Kiprusoff.

4. Vesa Toskala

Probably a 1A starter eventually but only if he gets traded. I couldn't ever imagine him beating Nabokov.

5. Yann Danis

I really don't know too much about him but he could become a solid backup. Not sure if he has real starting potential but again he doesn't have much of a chance in Montreal.

6. Michael Leighton

He'll get the starter reigns in Chicago eventually whether he could hold his spot over all of Crawford, Anderson, and Munce is debatable but I think he is better. He shouldn't beat Thibault for a few years though.

7. 5-way tie between Bacashihua/Finley/LeClaire/Ahonen/Auld

All have what it takes but the odds seem to be against them. Ahonen and Finley have aging goaltenders ahead but both will probably be starters until Ahonen and Finley are in their prime years. LeClaire will have to go great to beat out Denis. Bacashihua will probably become a good backup to Schwartz more likely than not. Auld needs to kick it in gear soon if he wants a future in the NHL.

8. Munce

He might become a decent backup but I don't think much more than that.
Good list but I would have Leclair higher on mine.

Old
05-18-2005, 02:20 AM
salty justice

Quote:
6. Michael Leighton

I completely disagree. Ive seen all of these guys play plenty of times and Leighton is not next in line. Starting with 'Munro', he is a career backup minor leaguer at best. Anderson has the tools to become a decent starter in the league in the next couple of years, and I think Leighton falls somewhere in the middle. Crawford easily has the most potential in the group, and I think he will be the one to eventually end Thibault's career in Chi-town.

In the end, I think Leighton will end up as one of the better backups in the league. He doesnt seem to have the high end raw talent to knock off Thibault and consistency is a huge problem. Anderson has proved to be the better of the two over the last 2 years, but has battled through tons of injuries. I have high hopes for Crawford, but we'll see what he can do in the pros first.

Old
05-18-2005, 06:15 AM
Black7And7Gold

I believe Toivonen is gonna get a chance before Raycroft. Raycroft hasn't done much playing this year, so I would have to think he lost some of his game-shape. Whereas Toivonen has been playing steadily with the P-Bruins.

Who is that Keeper the Trashers drafted first (maybe 2nd) overall a few years ago?

Cheers!

Last edited by Sotnos: 05-18-2005 at 07:15 AM. Reason: advertising removed
Old
05-18-2005, 06:59 AM
Jokerit Wasp

...Kari Lehtonen (Chicago Wolves / Atlanta Thrashers)

Raycroft was terrible in FInland this season, and Toskala wasnt too much better.

Old
05-18-2005, 07:22 AM
Chootoi

leneveu will most likely be the starter in phoenix within the next couple of years

Old
05-18-2005, 07:46 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi
leneveu will most likely be the starter in phoenix within the next couple of years
I think that LeNeveu will be the starter in the 05-06 season, assuming a new CBA can be reached.

Quote:
2. Antero Niittymaki

Quite frankly, I think the goalie controversy in Philly has already started. When Niittymaki was called up and beat the Devils not once, but twice, which no other Flyer netminder did last season, the majority of the fans were outraged that Clarkie made the trade for Burke, thus sending Niittymaki down.

I agree with you that Niittymaki will be a better NHL netminder than Esche. Niittymaki is more technically sound than Esche and doesn't give up the huge rebounds that Esche seems to give up game after game.

Old
05-18-2005, 09:45 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi
With the way he played this past season I think he could do a better job then Boucher did last year.

Old
05-18-2005, 09:47 AM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
I think that LeNeveu will be the starter in the 05-06 season, assuming a new CBA can be reached.

Quite frankly, I think the goalie controversy in Philly has already started. When Niittymaki was called up and beat the Devils not once, but twice, which no other Flyer netminder did last season, the majority of the fans were outraged that Clarkie made the trade for Burke, thus sending Niittymaki down.

I agree with you that Niittymaki will be a better NHL netminder than Esche. Niittymaki is more technically sound than Esche and doesn't give up the huge rebounds that Esche seems to give up game after game.
Esche did it 4 times when it really counted.

Old
05-18-2005, 03:59 PM
burgess1978

Quote:
4. Vesa Toskala

I'd say 1 or 2 more years and Nabby may walk to free agency. He held out on his last contract because he knew a new cba was coming with the possibility of lowering the UFA age. I'd say Toskala is a starter in waiting.

The Sharks' fans on these boards seem to think really highly of him, and remember, they (the team) chose to keep him over Kipper.

Old
05-18-2005, 04:20 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_made
Ryan Munce (Garon)

The Kings' future goalie hasn't been drafted yet, unless someone emerges. I think if Tukonen didn't fall to them in the draft, they would have picked up Schwarz, and then they made the deal for Garon.

Old
05-18-2005, 05:42 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBob
I completely disagree. Ive seen all of these guys play plenty of times and Leighton is not next in line. Starting with 'Munro', he is a career backup minor leaguer at best. Anderson has the tools to become a decent starter in the league in the next couple of years, and I think Leighton falls somewhere in the middle. Crawford easily has the most potential in the group, and I think he will be the one to eventually end Thibault's career in Chi-town.

In the end, I think Leighton will end up as one of the better backups in the league. He doesnt seem to have the high end raw talent to knock off Thibault and consistency is a huge problem. Anderson has proved to be the better of the two over the last 2 years, but has battled through tons of injuries. I have high hopes for Crawford, but we'll see what he can do in the pros first.
I saw Anderson live twice in the first round of the AHL playoffs and what I saw backed up what I heard. He has a lousy style IMO and just isn't that good of a goalie but I guess we just disagree. Munro is a career minor leaguer and Leighton/Anderson will be the future Chicago pairing until Crawford can make some noise in the pros. Crawford still is pretty far off but he definitely has the most potential.

Old
05-18-2005, 06:01 PM
KH1

Vesa Toskala is stuck behind Nabakov, one of the best goalies in hockey. He'll probably be dealt to start somewhere.
Ilja Bryzgalov will probably take over for Giguere in a $$$ decision
Hannu Toivonen will start over Raycroft. He's as good of a goalie with better potential, plain and simple.
Antero Niittymaki will have a nice controversy with Esche when the NHL returns.
Alex Auld should be the 'Nucks starter before long. Cloutier just isn't getting it done.
Pascal Leclaire is blocked by Denis, which will create a tough decision for the Blue Jackets to make in the near future.
Wade Dubliewicz is a guy who I know a lot about. After shattering the GAA record in the AHL as a rookie he had a tough second year and is stuck behind DiPietro. He'll be a solid backup, but I think that he could start for some teams in the future.

Old
05-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
The Kings' future goalie hasn't been drafted yet, unless someone emerges. I think if Tukonen didn't fall to them in the draft, they would have picked up Schwarz, and then they made the deal for Garon.
I have to agree. BUt we do have a few guys who had promising season this past year and could get a shot in the coming years in Hauser, Brust and a longshot in Fukufuji.

Old
05-18-2005, 09:33 PM
freakazoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978
The Sharks' fans on these boards seem to think really highly of him, and remember, they (the team) chose to keep him over Kipper.
Yeah, and that good for nothing Kipper did nothing but steam roll over them and took the Flames on his shoulders and was a game away from winning the cup. Good thing they kept Vesa

Old
05-18-2005, 11:23 PM
flyercide

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com

I didn't have much faith in Esche and thankfully he proved me wrong. He played tremendously well and far exceeded my expectations. I took a lot of heat for expressing my dislike for Esche throughout the year. I was on the Niity bandwagon at the time but I wasn't second guessing Clarkes decision at all to get another goalie.

It was the goalie, BURKE, that he traded for and what he gaveup that made me upset. Infact, I was really peeved about this trade, I felt Clarke way overpaid for Burke, re:Comrie. At the time, I could probably have listed off 8-12 goalies, I would have much rather have than Burke at the cost we paid. Biron comes to mind, the Minnesota's netminders, just to name a few. Even though it was a trade for veteran goalie I would have much rather have any goalie that has showed some promise like Garon over Burke.

Old
05-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Phanuthier*

I can't say much about all the goalies, but I really like Toskala... I think he has potential to be among the elite - and better then Nabokov.

Auld was a really big goalie who was strong technically, but still has a long ways to go and learn about himself IMO.

Last edited by Phanuthier*: 05-18-2005 at 11:53 PM.
Old
05-19-2005, 12:05 AM
salty justice

Quote:
I saw Anderson live twice in the first round of the AHL playoffs and what I saw backed up what I heard. He has a lousy style IMO and just isn't that good of a goalie but I guess we just disagree.
Give the guy a break, he came back early from surgery that was suppose to keep him out all year. Had Leighton not injured himself as well, theres no way Anderson would have been able to play those games. They werent going to let the ship go down with Munro in net.

Had you watched him early in the season, you'd know what Im talking about. Those stats paint a better picture of his abilities.

Old
05-19-2005, 12:22 AM
sunb

For a long time, Mike Dunham was Nashville's starter and although he wasn't great, he was a solid starter. However, I was among some people who just saw an immensely talented backup in Tomas Vokoun and knew that he would be a star someday. We were right.

I personally feel the same way about Antero Niittymaki and Ilya Bryzgalov.

I am sort of in doubt about Toskala and Toivanen. They may very well become great goalies but I just have a weird feeling about both. Vesa Toskala is 28 years old while Toivanen still needs to prove that he can repeat his monster performance for a third year.

Closed Thread