HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill VII

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2010, 04:25 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
We are talking about the Same Iggy right ? You know the one that barely cracked 30 goals last season, Looked slow and uninspired. Not to mention is like what now Fifty years old ? (Plays like it).

Or do you mean the Iggy of like 4 years ago.
I love that Iggy has one bad season on a terrible Calgary team and now he's washed up.

He leads, he fights, he scores, he hits, he plays defense.

He's still a complete player and would still be our 2nd best forward (assuming kopitar plays like our number 1 forward at some point and that Williams eventually evens out).

Not wanting to trade a player like Schenn I get.

Not thinking the math works out with the $7 mill cap hit is understandable.

Saying that Iggy wouldn't be a great ****ing player on this Kings' team is something I just can't comprehend.

Old
11-05-2010, 04:30 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I love that Iggy has one bad season on a terrible Calgary team and now he's washed up.

He's still a complete player and would still be our 2nd best forward (assuming kopitar plays like our number 1 forward at some point and that Williams eventually evens out).

Saying that Iggy wouldn't be a great ****ing player on this Kings' team is something I just can't comprehend.
You realise since last season he has scored what 4 goals in his last 28 games ? Your talking Defense men slump right there. Magic fixes that not a trade to the Kings.

Old
11-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Johnny Utah

I like Matthew Barry's latest, and I agree with his last comment...Kings should send Schenn and Clifford back where they can play big minutes...the Kings can then recall Clune and play a 4th line of Lewis, Richardson, and rotate Westy or Clune.

Old
11-05-2010, 04:32 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:

I gotta agree with ya 100%. I may not think that Iggy would be a perfect fit or what we want/need on the team but the guy is completely nails and still has a few years where he will be an elite player. His "down year" last season seems to be more related to his team mates/coaches than to his own abilities.

If he were available with a $5m per cap hit and wasn't going to cost us so much to get him I would jump at the chance. We could find space and should be so lucky. To my pov he just isn't the right player at the right time but that is really just an opinion, the guy is one of the games best all around players, period.

Old
11-05-2010, 04:34 PM
wicker

I'm not totally for Iginla, and I'm not totally against it, either. A few things come into play...

1. If Schenn has to be one of the pieces that goes back, it's not going to happen. One of the reasons that management is keeping Schenn up with the big club is in order to get him better situated with the team and the NHL, in general. I think that Lombardi plans on either trading Stoll sometime during the offseason, or not re-signing Handzus. In that case, he would rather have Schenn not be so green next season, and comfortably fit in the top nine. That's why they are keeping him up for as long as they can, in my opinion.

2. While Iginla is not exactly young, he does fill the sniper role. I know that the likes of Semin might be available (even though he is not a Lombardi kind of player, as we know), but I think there is a better chance of him re-signing at a slight discount then hitting the open market. With Thornton re-signing, that leaves Richards as the only gem of that UFA class. Dallas fans say that he loves Dallas and wants to get a deal done, even though their organization is still in disorder and that might come into play. That doesn't leave any viable options out there during the summer...

3. Lombardi might take a look at RFAs like Parise, Carter, etc., but the likelihood of those guys going anywhere are slim to none.

So, if the UFA period is fruitless (meaning that Richards re-signs with Dallas and is not available at all), and the RFAs all stick around with their teams, would Lombardi really feel comfortable going into the 2011-2012 season with a very good team that is still missing that piece? I think the Iginla situation - if he is available at all - will come down to a sort of a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush conclusion.

All in all, that's a lot of hypotheticals, and I'm very glad that I am not Lomardi!

Old
11-05-2010, 04:35 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I like Matthew Barry's latest, and I agree with his last comment...Kings should send Schenn and Clifford back where they can play big minutes...the Kings can then recall Clune and play a 4th line of Lewis, Richardson, and rotate Westy or Clune.
Ive been thinking the same thing. I also think that Westy isn't being managed properly. Its been said that he (westy) has been told not to go out and instigate anything and to play a safe and smart game. The kid is said to be confused but working his tail off in practice trying to figure out how to fit in. He is a rookie but ya gotta feel for him.

I am not opposed to Cliffy staying up but also think that he will be available later in the season if needed so it wouldn't hurt us at all. Plus lewis is playing really well for his first stint.

Old
11-05-2010, 04:44 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

I'd rather have Richards than Iginla.

Old
11-05-2010, 04:51 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
I'd rather have Richards than Iginla.
I would rather have Iginla every day of the week over Richards.

Old
11-05-2010, 04:57 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
You realise since last season he has scored what 4 goals in his last 28 games ? Your talking Defense men slump right there. Magic fixes that not a trade to the Kings.
What I realize is that the player Iginla always has been overshadows a 28 game stretch.

Old
11-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
A change of scenery usually changes everything

Old
11-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Vanek, maybe. He is a true LW sniper with good hands and a solid skater. ...

There are a couple of other established sniper types that I think could work but, there are a couple of sniper high reward kids out there I would rather deal for and think that we could get one of them pretty cheap.
... high reward kids!

Like the sound of that. Who's on the radar screen?

Old
11-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Id be much happier if Iggy only had 1 year left on his contract, or if Smyth's expired this year, but having both at their cap hits next year is going to be brutal

Old
11-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Duc620

Iginla is the kind of player who would ignite on a team like the Kings - especially this King team. He would be re-energized by the attitudes and confidence. He'd only need a couple of bounces going his way playing with Kopitar and our D to cover his back. All this AND the prospect of getting back in the race for a Cup?

It would be like having two Captain Canada's.

But the priority is signing our current players and his $7mil would likely keep us from adding him. That said, it's prospects and picks only - if Calgary really wants to rebuild that's the kind of deal they'd make.

Old
11-05-2010, 05:25 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
... high reward kids!

Like the sound of that. Who's on the radar screen?
OK, so I am gonna talk a little out of school but some rumors have been rolling around about Filatov as a possibly movable piece. It isn't that they don't want him, its that they realize his value and where we are deeeeeeep on D they are deeeeeeeeep up front.

Some think that a package including Hickey plus a redundant but valuable roster character guy would net us Filatov plus something nice. Other have responded with things like Hickey plus landing us Filatov.

I heard that it was set aside so probably nothing but, if it was considered once then it could be considered again.

There is also someone out there who feels that Edm has one too many uber talented forwards and none tou many talented young D and that there had been talks between the two teams about remedying these situations. I have no idea who the players are or were or who they would be but as far as an observation goes both scenarios are true so who knows.

Old
11-05-2010, 05:54 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
I would rather have Iginla every day of the week over Richards.
I'd rather have Ovechkin over both of them every day of the week and twice on Sunday's

Old
11-05-2010, 06:10 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
I'd rather have Ovechkin over both of them every day of the week and twice on Sunday's
I'd rather have cold sores than the Sedins.

Old
11-05-2010, 08:15 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
It wasn't too long ago Iginla was called the best player in the world. He has slowed down but as many said I think he would be jump started playing with the youth in LA and someone like Kopitar. CAL has been a mess the past year and he has nothing and no one to play with. I wouldn't want to move Schenn for him either but if we could land him it would be huge. This reminds me a lot of when all the Smyth rumours came out and most everyone *****ed. We land him and he plays suddenly everyone loves him because they see all the intangibles he brings to the team. There is only one difference Iginla is twice the player Smyth is.

I don't even like Iginla but if playoffs or a big game started today give me Iginla > Kopitar meaning he would be our best forward (not sure how much longer but should remain top talent for a while).

Old
11-05-2010, 08:24 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

You gotta expect Calgary to ask for Williams in return or Iginla. It would be something along the lines of Williams, Loktionov/Hickey and a 1st. Iginla is one of my favorite players hands down but if Williams continues his current level of play, I don't know if I do that deal considering the cap consequences.

Old
11-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
This roster would need Williams to not get a raise, plus Doughty and Johnson would have to take a discount to stay and the Kings would be thin down the middle. Without Williams, this roster would be much worse than this year's team. Smyth and Iginla just don't work with the Kings current RFAs.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Jarome Iginla ($7.000m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Ryan Smyth ($6.250m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / Justin Williams ($3.500m)
Scott Parse ($0.900m) / Brad Richardson ($1.000m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.250m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Trevor Lewis ($0.803m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)
Richard Clune ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Willie Mitchell ($3.500m) / Drew Doughty ($5.500m)
Jack Johnson ($3.250m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.400m)
Jake Muzzin ($0.900m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Davis Drewiske ($0.616m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) /Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,389,917; BONUSES: $420,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $10,083 <--- Not a good place to be...

Bold contracts are guesses.

Old
11-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
You gotta expect Calgary to ask for Williams in return or Iginla. It would be something along the lines of Williams, Loktionov/Hickey and a 1st. Iginla is one of my favorite players hands down but if Williams continues his current level of play, I don't know if I do that deal considering the cap consequences.
I would rather re-sign Williams. No way does Williams get $7 million and probably would have the same goal output (if both players are healthy) and is younger.

Old
11-05-2010, 09:00 PM
redcard

I'm split on Iginla, I think he would be a great addition to this team...but the price to acquire him and the cap hit turns me off.

I think Dean needs to re-sign JJ, DD, and Simmonds before making any move, that'll make the options a little more clear and we'd be dealing with far fewer hypotheticals.

Old
11-05-2010, 09:03 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I think that Simmonds needs to pick up each aspect of his game and soon.

The trouble with relying on JW to me is that you have to continually hold your breath that he won't get hurt. When he is healthy he is no doubt a solid winger.

When he is healthy.

Old
11-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Committing over 13 million to Iginla and Smyth would be salary cap suicide.

If the Kings add a big salary it better be for a player in his prime.

Old
11-06-2010, 01:23 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Iginla would cost too much in assets and cap. If we are making a transaction like this, it needs to be with someone who fits the core and will develop with the team and not for someone that is fast approaching the 35 milestone.

As of this point, my eye is on Williams. If he keeps his play up to even remotely close to the level he is at now, I would rather consider re-signing him, and keeping him, Brown, and Simmonds on the right wing and search for a left wing sniper like Semin instead.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
11-06-2010, 01:27 AM
Orenji

I wouldn't want Iginla except if he was a one year rental who we didn't have to give up Schenn/Hickey to get.

Maybe if he could lead us to the Stanley Cup I would want him back, but I just don't want him that badly. Not saying Smyth is terrible (he's perfect on the 2nd line), but we could see the same things happen to Iginla in a year or two, but worse cap wise.

Closed Thread