HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our new first line! We win 3-2

Old
11-06-2010, 10:02 AM
TroyM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
Cammalleri has 6 pts in 13 games, thats not great either. Our midgets are shocking when we need them?
Well he has 7 points in 12 games actually, which isn't great either but still looks a bit better. However no matter how you slice it the 3 big contracted fellas needa step it up. Gio and Gomez are on a whole other level from Cammy, he has more points than them combined... but he still looks quite ineffectual out there for huge stretches.

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:07 AM
zzoo

I firmly believe that if Eller was traded against Sergei or Moore or Metropolit (not Halak), then he is playing in AHL right now.

He has potential though. He reminds me of Pacioretty where a lot of people were in love with him while he was clearly not ready at all.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:08 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I would definitely consider putting Gionta with Plekanec and Cammalleri like someone else suggested earlier.

We have several candidates for the 6th forward position the only problem is that they either aren't skilled enough (Moen, Pyatt), or aren't ready (Eller, Pacioretty, Palushaj). If a trade opportunity arises I would pull the trigger if I was PG. Hopefully not another big, long-term contract comes our way though... My only criteria at this point.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post
Well he has 7 points in 12 games actually, which isn't great either but still looks a bit better. However no matter how you slice it the 3 big contracted fellas needa step it up. Gio and Gomez are on a whole other level from Cammy, he has more points than them combined... but he still looks quite ineffectual out there for huge stretches.
My bad lol...thought that they said yesterday that he had 6 in 13... But yeah, its still not enough for him and he has only 3 goals..he is on a 21 goal pace

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Carey Chant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Halak is not facing the quality of shots that Price gets on some nights where we give up 5-6 odd man rushes, it's happened in at least 5 games this year.

With Jackman and Polak on IR, Halak will start facing better shots in the next month or so.
Mr.Price, try watching an entire Blues game as many Habs fans have started doing because of Halak. I think it's even harder for a goalie not to face a shot for 5 minutes and then have to stop a break away, a two on one or back to back powerplays. It shows he's focused and into the game. Halak didn't skip a beat from last season, he's actually improved and looks like he's going to be in running for the Vezina.

Price is playing great but right now Halak has played better and has been key to the Blues early success this season. I just wish we got a little more of an impact from the talent we got in return for #41 but we all knew it was a long term trade on our end so will see.

Carey Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:54 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Halak is not facing the quality of shots that Price gets on some nights where we give up 5-6 odd man rushes, it's happened in at least 5 games this year.

With Jackman and Polak on IR, Halak will start facing better shots in the next month or so.
This and has always been the case when Halak does better than Price.

People who state that Halak is playing well, are usually just defending him rather than attacking Price (hence the poster above your last post). But always get the "the team tries harder for Halak", "Halak faces easier shots", "Halak faces easier teams". And the excuses are plentiful. I remember last year when people stated that Halak was a mediocre goalie when he didn't see a lot of action in a game and now it's that he's only good because he doesn't see a lot of action.

Anyway, Price is playing very well. And yes, he's not been as good as Halak overall, but he's played well enough that the trade doesn't sting at this moment. He's been a top goalie in the league to this point, and that's what we need him to be. He definitely needed to be better, and he bounced back huge last game. He's already over halfway to his wins total from last year. Amazing.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 12:04 PM
neofury*

I love both goalies, why can't people just stop being such crybabies. Halak has been amazing but his D has been playing better than our D has. I've seen games handed to the opposition by the likes of Spacek and even Gill. In Gills case I believe he'll be a playoff monster and all will be forgiven. Spacek better fix his game as soon as possible though or somethings going to happen.

Halak has been great though, been watching blues streams now and then just to see how he's been doing. He obviously makes spectacular saves like Price does too, he didn't just get that record on a silver platter. Their D looks much better than ours though defensively.

In the last couple games our D has been brutal.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

People who state that Halak is playing well, are usually just defending him rather than attacking Price (hence the poster above your last post). But always get the "the team tries harder for Halak", "Halak faces easier shots", "Halak faces easier teams". And the excuses are plentiful. I remember last year when people stated that Halak was a mediocre goalie when he didn't see a lot of action in a game and now it's that he's only good because he doesn't see a lot of action.

Anyway, Price is playing very well. And yes, he's not been as good as Halak overall, but he's played well enough that the trade doesn't sting at this moment. He's been a top goalie in the league to this point, and that's what we need him to be. He definitely needed to be better, and he bounced back huge last game. He's already over halfway to his wins total from last year. Amazing.

The idea that St. Louis has suddenly become a defensive powerhouse just at the exact moment they traded for Halak is pretty funny actually. Halak's been godlike so far this season, give him the credit he deserves, but I agree completely that Price has been more than good enough. They're both starting goalies with the potential to be elite in the NHL. We had to pick one, and live with the strong likelihood that whichever one we gave away would turn out to be a star. The important issue is what happens to the one we've kept and so far I have no complaints about Price whatsoever.

The context of the Halak trade for me is the fact that, with the singular exception of JFJ's Toronto reign of terror, NOBODY in the league has been able to get a big return for a goalie. Brian Burke couln't get anything for Bryzgalov. Luongo, even pretty much established as a future goalie for Team Canada, was traded for a broken-down, scandal-plagued Tod Bertuzzi. Huet was worth 5 million plus as a UFA but had only fetched a mid-low 2nd rounder a few months earlier. I hear Pierre McGuire boast about how he'd have gotten T.J. Oshie and wonder, where's the example of that trade happening in the NHL in the last decade? Even the Toskala fiasco in the end basically netted a mid-first-round pick, and it sticks out like a gleaming beacon of over-payment.

Goalies have extremely limited trade value in the NHL. I don't know why, but that seems to be an inarguable fact.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 12:15 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
The idea that St. Louis has suddenly become a defensive powerhouse just at the exact moment they traded for Halak is pretty funny actually. Halak's been godlike so far this season, give him the credit he deserves, but I agree completely that Price has been more than good enough. They're both starting goalies with the potential to be elite in the NHL. We had to pick one, and live with the strong likelihood that whichever one we gave away would turn out to be a star. The important issue is what happens to the one we've kept and so far I have no complaints about Price whatsoever.

The context of the Halak trade for me is the fact that, with the singular exception of JFJ's Toronto reign of terror, NOBODY in the league has been able to get a big return for a goalie. Brian Burke couln't get anything for Bryzgalov. Luongo, even pretty much established as a future goalie for Team Canada, was traded for a broken-down, scandal-plagued Tod Bertuzzi. Huet was worth 5 million plus as a UFA but had only fetched a mid-low 2nd rounder a few months earlier. I hear Pierre McGuire boast about how he'd have gotten T.J. Oshie and wonder, where's the example of that trade happening in the NHL in the last decade? Even the Toskala fiasco in the end basically netted a mid-first-round pick, and it sticks out like a gleaming beacon of over-payment.

Goalies have extremely limited trade value in the NHL. I don't know why, but that seems to be an inarguable fact.
To be fair, to get Luongo it also cost the Canucks a few other pieces. Alex Auld was looking like a solid enough young goalie with potential as well as Bryan Allen who would becoming a pretty damn decent defenseman. Hell, Bryan Allen is still a pretty good player for the Panthers. And Bertuzzi did have 70+ points in his season before the trade (and was a PPG player for the Panthers in his minimal playing time there).

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 12:22 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I firmly believe that if Eller was traded against Sergei or Moore or Metropolit (not Halak), then he is playing in AHL right now.

He has potential though. He reminds me of Pacioretty where a lot of people were in love with him while he was clearly not ready at all.
I agree, I think he looks lost a lot of the time and should be sent down. i know it's not popular opinion around here, but he is pretty useless to this point and it's not really his fault, he isn't ready.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

The Blues have been good defensively for a couple years now...they even had same goals against as us last season. Now that they have an actual good goalie instead of Chris Mason (who had only 2.41 and 2.53 GAA with the Blues in 2 seasons) and Pietrangelo playing like a stud, they'll be even better. To insinuate that Halak made the Blues defense is as bad as saying the Blues D made Halak. Clearly they compliment each other well.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
Quote:
The idea that St. Louis has suddenly become a defensive powerhouse just at the exact moment they traded for Halak is pretty funny actually.
They were in the top tier actually but wtv.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

People who state that Halak is playing well, are usually just defending him rather than attacking Price (hence the poster above your last post),
I think where people get annoyed, at least for me, is that pretty much one out of every two thread ends up being about Halak/Price. When people keep talking about Halak, it's kind of obvious that Price supporters will try to downgrade Halak and upgrade Price.

What annoys me is that we're still talking about Halak on a daily basis. It just never ends.

Btw, I couldn't care less who we kept. Both are #1s in the league, both are great. Halak proved he could step up in POs but he showed signs of fatigue and his God mode ended in Philly. How would he fair off from playing 60-70 Games in a tough NHL schedule and then PO?..That's still a question, but I would have had no problem sticking with him to find out.
Price was good, he's also been great, we've seen flashes of brilliance. The kid is still very young and had more to prove than Halak. But he would cost less and we were in a tight situation where every dollar counted. Not surprised we ended up with Price, it was actually pretty foreseeable.

Both are having great starts, Halak a better one. Still, it's very early.

Quote:
The idea that St. Louis has suddenly become a defensive powerhouse just at the exact moment they traded for Halak is pretty funny actually.
St-Louis actually allowed the same number of goals as we did, last year.
That being said, I don't think there's a question which D corps would prefer to have.
I love Markov and Subban, but when you look at Hammer-Spacek-Gill...Ouch.
They have a much better balanced Dcorps. Only Brewer is over 30 (31 actually), the rest is 20-22-24-27-29.
St-Louis this year also happens to be the team facing the less shots in the NHL. Halak is facing 5-6 shots less per game compared to last year. You can always look at the scoring chances, but there's little doubt in my mind that he's not facing as many either.

So it is true, Halak is better surrounded. I don't think he would be 7-1-1 with 1.53 and .940% if he were with us. But in no way am I taking anything away from him. He's been magnificent.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
St-Louis this year also happens to be the team facing the less shots in the NHL. Halak is facing 5-6 shots less per game compared to last year. You can always look at the scoring chances, but there's little doubt in my mind that he's not facing as many either.

So it is true, Halak is better surrounded. I don't think he would be 7-1-1 with 1.53 and .940% if he were with us. But in no way am I taking anything away from him. He's been magnificent.
Kriss, I agree with what you've said. I think Blues fans would agree as well...here are 4 seperate quotes from 4 different blues fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Legend View Post
Halak has been great. No surprise as everyone knew he's going to be a very good goalie. But he hasn't been carrying the Blues. Watch the Blues and you'll see they carry the play on most occasions against the competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
He hasn't faced many shots at all and most have been easy to control. He does make big saves when needed, but its not like he is getting a heavy workload. He, in my opinion, is not playing phenomenal yet, rather he his just making the saves he needs to. Its not like he is stealing many games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PietroOshieLo View Post
Halak of course has been an essential part of the Blues season so far and there is no doubt that trading for him was the right decision.

But people don't focus on the actual St. Louis Blues players that have also really contributed this year. Jackman and Brewer, for all they are given by some of the more judging fans, have played excellently, as have our shutdown line of Jay McClement, Alex Steen, and Matt D'Agostini. Alex Pietrangelo has been an absolutely pleasant surprise so far as has players like Patrik Berglund, who was mostly atrocious last year, is now a dominating force in the offensive zone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolousz21 View Post
To be fair the blues are number one in Shots against per game. and number two in shots for per game.

that is pretty sick. 5 on 5 no one outside of Nashville has played even with the blues..

while Halak has been steady and made some great saves the blues area one of the most solid teams top to bottom in the league.

even with Jackman out now we have another high end young guy in Ian Cole who played great in camp just more speed and offense on the blue line.

However Jax is the last top 6 dman we can afford to lose.

The blues are also number 2 in the 5-5 F/A stat this season right behind Boston.

If the blues stay anywhere near that for the season Halak will end up with huge numbers.
What irks me is that Price came into this season with more pressure than any player in the national hockey league. He was booed in his first pre-season game. People have been criticizing somtimes for stuff beyond his control. He's stepped up answered everyone thus far and you know what...Halak is still getting more credit than him despite player for a completely different but much better team. That's what pisses me off.

It's like everyone is just waiting for Price to falter so that they can come in and say I told you so. Like Earl does, he disappears every 5-6 games and then posts when either, Price loses or Halak gets a shutout. It's just extremely sad to see IMO.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I agree, I think he looks lost a lot of the time and should be sent down. i know it's not popular opinion around here, but he is pretty useless to this point and it's not really his fault, he isn't ready.
There are things I will just never understand.
Eller was supposed to take over Plekanec's spot yesterday. He ends up playing about 8min with no PP time. Is it really surprising that he looks lost?..He's young, it takes more time to learn a new system, get into his groove, build chemistry, etc..Even Stamkos had a rough start in TB early in his rookie year. He looked lost as well. Coach Melrose wasn't playing him much, he was averaging about 12-13min/Game and at times saw as little as 6min of ice time. Melrose gets fired on Nov 15th, the next game Stamkos plays the most he's played all season, from there on out he starts playing a lot more (still has some normal cold streaks where he plays less, but overall plays a lot more).

You can send down Eller, it's all good, but whoever gets called up won't look much better (after the excitement from being called up dies) if they play around 8min.

I also don't understand how a guy like Pouliot, who's playing great and is without a doubt one of our best 4 fowards so far (A.Ko-Plek and Halpern are the other 3 imo) is averaging only a little over a minute more of ice time than Boyd, our worst forward so far. In a game where he scores 2G, only Eller-Boyd played less.

Our best forward, A.Ko, still only plays about 16min. Why?..I don't care if he has 0sec of ice time on the PK, he should be playing more at ES.

I do agree, we should send Eller down, but not because he isn't ready, I think he is, more so because he simply isn't playing enough. Playing 9-10min with guys like Moen, Boyd and Lappy with about 10sec on the PP won't help him.

Last edited by Kriss E: 11-06-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old
11-06-2010, 01:34 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
And I'll suggest something here, send Eller to Hamilton.

He's useless on a 4th line and he seems to be regressing. I thought he looked better in his first few games than he does now...

I just think he needs ice time to develop. Don't think playing with grinders and sitting whole periods is any good for him.
Seeing him in a pre game interview last night made me think this as well. He's physically not as matured / developed as other players. Just looking at his face, he looks like a 16yr old still. Some players just naturally develop later than others. He has the skill, lets not waste it on the 4th line.

Let him development another year in the AHL.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 01:40 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You can send down Eller, it's all good, but whoever gets called up won't look much better (after the excitement from being called up dies) if they play around 8min.
This was the arguement from people wanting MaxPac to stay up last year. imo a players development sometimes is better for the team in the long run than the short term gain.

We are seeing a much more mature MaxPac this year, if he would have been sent down earlier, maybe he would have matured earlier.

I don't see what Eller can learn playing in the bottom 6.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
The Blues have been good defensively for a couple years now...they even had same goals against as us last season. Now that they have an actual good goalie instead of Chris Mason (who had only 2.41 and 2.53 GAA with the Blues in 2 seasons) and Pietrangelo playing like a stud, they'll be even better. To insinuate that Halak made the Blues defense is as bad as saying the Blues D made Halak. Clearly they compliment each other well.
Yeah and the non playoff team argument was a load of crap. They had 91 points in the hardest division in the NHL. People that ***** about people marginalizing halak do the same to the blues. Its a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
He hasn't faced many shots at all and most have been easy to control. He does make big saves when needed, but its not like he is getting a heavy workload. He, in my opinion, is not playing phenomenal yet, rather he his just making the saves he needs to. Its not like he is stealing many games. So, I find it hard to believe he can not keep this up.

Now, he might not keep it up with all the defensive injuries, but we shall see. The real test starts tonight.
Blues fan being reasonable although he prolly stole 2 games pitts and SJ.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 02:30 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Yeah and the non playoff team argument was a load of crap. They had 91 points in the hardest division in the NHL. People that ***** about people marginalizing halak do the same to the blues. Its a joke.

Blues fan being reasonable although he prolly stole 2 games pitts and SJ.
If you goto the Blues thread, you'll find threads calling him the best goalie in Blues history and many others. He's been god like again. St Louis is a good team, there's no disputing that. I actually had this argument with boodasmoka or whatever his name is before they went on a tear.

He was calling them a weak Blues team for the simple reason they hadn't made the playoffs, without taking into consideration they had more points in a tougher conference than we did.

Anyways, Jaro is at the top of the league no matter who he plays for imo. People say he couldn't post these numbers here, yet he posted 924 sv% just last year. It's funny tbh.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
If you goto the Blues thread, you'll find threads calling him the best goalie in Blues history and many others. He's been god like again. St Louis is a good team, there's no disputing that.

Anyways, Jaro is at the top of the league no matter who he plays for imo. People say he couldn't post these numbers here, yet he posted 924 sv% just last year. It's funny tbh.
Jesus christ god like really, in 2 games perhaps but holy **** the pedestal hes on for some people no wonder others want to knock him down.

Whats funny to me is the people the god like status he gets now after a few shutouts 9 games into the season and when his numbers and prices were equivalent they were nowheres to be seen. Im not going to say hes been just solid or anything but god like come on.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Jesus christ god like really, in 2 games perhaps but holy **** the pedestal hes on for some people no wonder others want to knock him down.

Whats funny to me is the people the god like status he gets now after a few shutouts 9 games into the season and when his numbers and prices were equivalent they were nowheres to be seen. Im not going to say hes been just solid or anything but god like come on.
I think he is easier to cheer for now because alot of people dont like seeing the habs do well.

Halak is an amazing goalie. His movements in the crease are so efficient, he's never out of control, and his consistency has been stellar. Not just this season or last season, I'm talking about the last 3 seasons whenever he's been given the chance.

I'm just glad that Price has been nothing short of stellar as well. I cannot say that the habs record would be any different with halak in net for any of the games price started, with the possible exception of game #1.

I've been a believer that its usually good to have two strong goalies in your lineup so they can push each other, but for Price, it seems that the Halak subtraction has worked as an addition because he looks much more confident knowing he's THE guy this year.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 01:35 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
This was the arguement from people wanting MaxPac to stay up last year. imo a players development sometimes is better for the team in the long run than the short term gain.

We are seeing a much more mature MaxPac this year, if he would have been sent down earlier, maybe he would have matured earlier.

I don't see what Eller can learn playing in the bottom 6.
I'm not arguing Eller should stay here. I didn't want MaxPac here last year either.

I think Eller has more offensive skills than MaxPac had last year. I think he could bring in a much better contribution. But I also said if Eller is to play about 10min per game, send him down.