HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Playing with Kids who don't care.

Old
11-06-2010, 02:24 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

vCash: 500
Playing with Kids who don't care.

Hello HF, well to start out, Im a Bantam. Now please don't treat me diffrent because im younger than you. I like to think im pretty mature for my age.

But anyway, I play house league () because of money issues. And another kid on my team also plays house for the same reason. Me and him are 2 of the 3 best kids in this league, but the rest of our team is TERRIBLE.

Me and this Kid are both D-men. And we have scored all of our teams goals this year, accept 2.

This is our teams record:

L 8-3
W 3-2
W- 2-1
L- 6-1
L 8-0

And none of it is our Goalies fault.

Part of the problem is that the kids on our team arn't the most skilled. But the bigger problem is they don't listen. Our Coach will tell them to do somthing and they do the opposite.

Our Coach stresses the forwards forchecking, But nobody does it. And when 2 D-men have to carry the Offense, thats pretty sad. Our forwards don't help us in our own zone either.

We cannot pass to them, because they either stand behind us, or arn't open. When we do get a open pass to them, they can't handle our passes and they bounce off their blade. They do not pass to us because their heads are down and they just skate it as far as they can before getting drilled.

Don't even get me started on practice.... Theres a few kids they just dick around and see how far they can glide on their stumachs.... Great.

Im just getting tired of me and another kid having to carry our team, and do 95% of the workload.

Anyone have any advice on what to do? or say? Any help is appriciated.

Thanks, have a good one.

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 02:27 PM
DarkReign

I do not play hockey, but this seems to me, to be a better conversation to have with your coach first.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3498
I'm not sure how things have changed since I was your age, but I don't think playing rep cost my parents any more than house league. It sounds to me like you need to be at a level that more suits your drive and skills and where your fellow players take the game as seriously as you do..

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 02:38 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
I do not play hockey, but this seems to me, to be a better conversation to have with your coach first.
Our Coach goes off on these kids after every ice slot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
I'm not sure how things have changed since I was your age, but I don't think playing rep cost my parents any more than house league. It sounds to me like you need to be at a level that more suits your drive and skills and where your fellow players take the game as seriously as you do..
Na, Travel costs (Plane Tix, Hotel Rooms, More Ice Time, Better training) are alot more than just ice time.

Thanks for your replys.

Old
11-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Briere Up There*

This might sound bad, but **** 'em. Skate end to end, dish only to your teammate who is good. If the kids don't care, then they probably won't care you ignore them on the ice.

And while I'm not from Canada, is House League really the only option you have other than traveling across the country? When I was in youth hockey we'd have like 2 out of state tournaments, and it wasn't uncommon for kids to skip them. Most of our games were within 20 miles of my house.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 05:30 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRogerRoeper View Post
This might sound bad, but **** 'em. Skate end to end, dish only to your teammate who is good. If the kids don't care, then they probably won't care you ignore them on the ice.

And while I'm not from Canada, is House League really the only option you have other than traveling across the country? When I was in youth hockey we'd have like 2 out of state tournaments, and it wasn't uncommon for kids to skip them. Most of our games were within 20 miles of my house.
The Travel team at my rink travels around the South-West region. Like LA, Dallas, Las Vegas. And maybe once every 6 months goes to Detroit or Boston.

Old
11-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I suppose down in Phoenix there aren't a ton of options.

Are you shooting to play for a high school team (or is there even one)? If you work your tail off and improve, talk to the coaches, just focus on your own development, that might be best. Then you'd have something to shoot for in terms of a goal (here in MN it's to try and make the varsity HS team).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Finnish your Czech
leafs are in the pla

vCash: 50
I guess I was lucky to have played rep hockey in toronto, and have every game played within 5 minutes from my house.

the only thing you can do is ignore them on the ice and become a 'one man show'.

is high school hockey an option in PHX?

Finnish your Czech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 01:28 AM
noobman

I don't think they're refusing to listen to the coach... I just think they either don't understand what they're doing wrong, or they don't understand what the coach is trying to tell them.

Practices are great for working on these little kinks.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 01:10 AM
greyraven8

Are there any other non travel bantam leagues in the Phoenix area or high school hockey?

It's probably to late for this season but for next season maybe you could find a part-time or summer job to help pay for any travel if you would like to and are able to join a non house league team .

Unfortunately you are many years too young for any "beer" league teams and probably a couple years to young to join any adult 'pickup' hockey groups (I think I starting playing with a group my dad was playing on at around age 15-16??).

If you are sticking with the team for the season maybe you could ask your coach to change your position to center and see if any of the forwards that want or that may show some ability at defense play that position - that may help your team a little. Getting on a line where at least the players want to try may make you a bit less frustrated.

I was a team rep for a beer league team and played on many beer leagues teams (and pickup groups) and played some other sports. Playing with players who had a lesser ability didn't frustrate me, but playing with players who didn't make an effort did.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:35 AM
JVR21
G

Hmm, it seems like hockey in your area goes straight from tier 3 to tier 1. In my area, rinks will hosts house leagues, then there will be 20 or so teams within a 2 hour range that play at the tier 2 level which seems to be what you want. At this level there are definitely no plane tickets or hotel rooms needed save maybe once for a tournament. Then there are the tier 1(AAA) teams that travel all around the northeast and beyond. It may be because your area isn't exactly a hockey hotbed, but I'd look into getting on a tier 2 team if there are any.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Badger36

Train hard, practice hard, do your best, talk to your coach about your teammates who are slackers and forget about the rest.
The only thing you can affect is you and your game and getting stressed about your teammates who dont play hard isnt going to do you any good.
Likely in a few years those slackers will fall by the wayside anyways and they wont matter anymore.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 11:22 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Might be a good time to become a leader. Instead of relying on your coach to tell them what to do why don't you tell them yourself? Some kids won't listen to authority and think people that are older than them know nothing-I know I was one of them. Leading by expample isn't working, learn how to talk to people, not all personalities are the same so yelling at one person will have the opposite effect as another. Try to rally the troops so you get the best out of each of them and learn what drives tese kids, if they like to play hockey or maybe they don't like you and your friend and think you guys are puck hogs or glory hounds who chew up ice time? The key is talk to them, find out what they're about and then choose a plan of attack after that. Sometimes all it takes is one sit down and people will be ready to either follow your lead or get the F out.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I'd try and move to rep. Or at least to another team that cares.

It reminds me of my last year, though. We had no coach, most of the skilled guys didn't care after awhile and our best player quit. No gameplan, no forwards or defense, we'd basically all just swarm the guy with the puck like 7 year olds. I was basically our best player in the second half of the season we went winless.

You need to play with guys that are willing to win, is what I'm trying to say. If no one steps up to be the leader, you have to be that guy. Try and inject some life into the room and lead by example is what I would do. Make the guys care or leave.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 07:12 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

To people asking about HS hockey:

Yes, there is High School hockey. But there is one team for Freshman-Seniors. Im 6' tall, but only 140 lbs and not looking too forward to being wrecked by a 210 pounder, but im going to do HS hockey next year.

Thanks for the help all. Ill give one last talk to my coach, then if that doesn't work, Just think of it as ice time and time for me to practice my skills.

Old
11-08-2010, 10:19 AM
frito

I'm not sure of the make up of your team, new players vs. kids who've been playing a while. I coach a bantam house team that is losing on aveerage 9-1. We got out shot yesterday 53-4. To give you an idea of the make up of my team, I have six kids that haven't even been through a checking. Are the kids doing things other than what I've told them, yes. They are just too new to get it and CONFIDENCE is a big issue.

i can't get my kids to go chase down the puck in the corner of the offensive zone. One guy will be gong in, think he's out of position and pull up instead of chasing it down. Other guys won't pressure the other team;s defense at their blue line. instead they'll wait closer to our blue line and give them all the time and space they want. none of this is because the kdis don't care, it's because they don't yet understand and don't have the confidence to attempt a play. I try to reassure them continuously but it is a process. i see little peaks of improvement each game.

Right now I'm taking it a zone at a time. The first thing we need to do is learn how to get it the heck out of our zone and cut down the shot counts. This may sound too "mite like" but I'm teaching them the basic concept of BOB (butts on boards) for a breakout. I will ell from the bench "Where's BOB?" if my wingers are all over the place. They are gradually getting it.

The next step is to convince them to apply preassure to the puck carier. I keep trying to reinforce that they may not walk away with the puck BUT they may force the opposition to make a bad pass which is just as good. Clearly i haven't gotten to much in the offensive zone other than reinforcing yesterday that if you're the first guy in, I don't care if you're left or right wing, I want you chasing down the puck. There was slight improvement on that by the end of the game.

So how does all this relate to your team? If they're a bunch of new players, try to keep it simple for them. Get them to understand BOB. Coach them from the ice - if you corrall the puck behind the net yell, "Where's BOB". It may take a while but they'll catch on. And don't get caught in the trap of "I know they're not going to catch the pass so why bother" mentality. They are going to miss a lot of passes, but they will never be able to catch passes if none are ever made to them - think back to your first year or two playing.

Once you get them undersand BOB get them comforatable attacking the puck carier. This is where you need to be supportive. They are going to make mistakes and get burned. But the first step to improving is to at least have the confidence to try. Once they finally force a turnover or a bad pass the lightbuilb will go on. Reinforce that with a "Good job" when they get to the bench.

I know this can be very challenging and frustrating to a higher level player. Look at it more as an opportunity to develop your leadership skills as was mentioned above and your first foray into coaching. Let the other kids know you're there to help, not to belittle them. They will begin to look up to you and try to take your advice.

Good luck.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sounds like you've got your goal: put on some weight, work on your skills, and think of this season as conditioning your ability to stay focused on the game rather than the distractions! If you can play hard with a good attitude through that mess, you'll be a great teammate when it counts.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 03:13 PM
PDX Coyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
..And when 2 D-men have to carry the Offense, thats pretty sad...
*checks who the Coyotes points leader is...*

wait a minute...

PDX Coyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:00 PM
StrykerB

See if you can get your teammates to play some street hockey. Maybe you can motivate them to get more involved with the sport. You and your teammates will have fun and they won't even realize that their hand skills will start to get better. The improvements they see will most likely migrate to ice.

Last edited by StrykerB: 11-11-2010 at 10:13 PM.
StrykerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Fleuryoutside29

Well, it's not just house league. I played travel hockey my whole life, AA mostly. As I got older, kids just got lazier. Peewee age was by far the most fun I had, because everyone cared. As all the kids transitioned into high school, they began getting lethargic, and they didn't care that they were wasting their parents money. It's not a problem that affects just house.

In addition to this, my final 3 years, I was captain of my team, and it got to a point where I couldn't take it anymore. I tried to institute team-building activities my last year. The camaraderie improved a bit, so did the effort. But you need your coaches help, you can't do it alone.

Fleuryoutside29 is offline   Reply With Quote