HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Stanley Cup Winners & Finalists : Their HHOF'ers

Old
11-06-2010, 01:34 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Outsider View Post
Would be interesting to see the other side - last place teams and their HOF'ers.
Absolutely!
But... Not now

On top of my head, past WHA/NHL merger, I can name at least two of them

- Peter Forsberg with the Flyers in 06-07 (he isn't in the Hall yet, but we can safely say he's a lock to make it)
- Steve Yzerman with the Neale/Park coached team.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I hope this doesn't derail the thread, but does anyone know which Stanley Cup winning team has the least amount of HHOFer's on it? Obviously recent teams are exempt...let's say pre-1990.
Hard to believe I am saying this because these teams were truly great teams but the Flyers only have three HHOFers. Barber, Clarke and Parent. Leach unfortunately drank too much and MacLeish is in without his injuries.

Other than that, the 1989 Flames come to mind. Only McDonald and MacInnis are in right now. Gilmour should be in there and Vernon has as good of a case as any non HHOF goalie. That leaves Fleury and the odd homer likes Nieuwendyk. But as it stands now, just two.

Other than that you have some great dynasty teams who were always chalk full with HHOFers.

This isn't an official count, but I have only 2 HHOFers on the 1943 Red Wings.

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 01:42 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Outsider View Post
Would be interesting to see the other side - last place teams and their HOF'ers.
Only going since expansion (obviously), the winner would have to be the 1989/90 Nordiques. 12-61-7, 31 points. Roster includes Guy Lafleur, Michel Goulet, Peter Stastny, and Joe Sakic.

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Hard to believe I am saying this because these teams were truly great teams but the Flyers only have three HHOFers. Barber, Clarke and Parent. Leach unfortunately drank too much and MacLeish is in without his injuries.

Other than that, the 1989 Flames come to mind. Only McDonald and MacInnis are in right now. Gilmour should be in there and Vernon has as good of a case as any non HHOF goalie. That leaves Fleury and the odd homer likes Nieuwendyk. But as it stands now, just two.

Other than that you have some great dynasty teams who were always chalk full with HHOFers.

don't forget joe mullen. it's three, but three with a good number of legitimate maybes (gilmour, vernon, nieuwendyk, fleury). i mean "legitimate" here in the sense that there is an excellent chance that, if they don't get in, we will hear a lot about how each of these four guys should be in the HHOF for years and years, rightly or wrongly.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kyle McMahon

Quote:

Abel, Syd Howe, and Stewart are in for them 1943 Wings, giving them three. Goodfellow and Quackenbush played a few regular season games, but none in the playoffs.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 01:43 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahovlich View Post
Only going since expansion (obviously), the winner would have to be the 1989/90 Nordiques. 12-61-7, 31 points. Roster includes Guy Lafleur, Michel Goulet, Peter Stastny, and Joe Sakic.
Damn, with my Forsberg post, that was pretty much missing the forest because of the trees...

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 01:45 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Absolutely!
But... Not now

- Peter Forsberg with the Flyers in 06-07 (he isn't in the Hall yet, but we can safely say he's a lock to make it)
1988-'91 nords: sakic, stastny, goulet, lafleur, and possibly/probably sundin.

Old
11-06-2010, 01:46 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Absolutely!
But... Not now

Francis and Brind'Amour with the 02-03 Hurricanes.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 01:49 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
While Barasso is certainly amongst the best goalies not in, the guy had some major consistency problems (from one season to another), and was not a very likeable person. He isn't a guy that "screams" HHOF -- I'm sure the commitee sees Curtis Joseph as a better candidate than Barasso (and let's not get there...).

I'm gonna consider him a shot in the dark - but he's a guy that has been retired for a while, and there WERE weak classes since then. Would be nice to see the "voting results"...

I'm probably gonna add both as shots in the dark. Beezer probably has the best "case" between the three guys. I think Richter is seriously overrated, but he has a resume, so...
barrasso is one of those cases where i think when enough time passes, the people he pissed off will either stop caring, forget, or cease to be relevant. plus, with enough distance (rightly or wrongly), people will probably gloss over his season-to-season consistency and his very impressive resume will become a bigger factor.

vernon and nieuwendyk are two other guys who will look a lot better as time passes and we forget the abysmal playoff years and the lack of elite regular seasons.

Old
11-06-2010, 02:07 PM
reckoning

Interesting research. It prompts the question of whether having many HHOFers ensures playoff success, or if winning Cups ensures HHOF induction.

Should there be a distinction made between how many HHOFers a team had compared to how many HHOFers in the prime of their career that a team had?

For example, the '96 Blues had 7 (Hull, MacInnis, Gretzky, Pronger, Fuhr, Hawerchuk, Anderson), but nobody would suggest that they were anything close to a legendary team.

reckoning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
don't forget joe mullen. it's three, but three with a good number of legitimate maybes (gilmour, vernon, nieuwendyk, fleury). i mean "legitimate" here in the sense that there is an excellent chance that, if they don't get in, we will hear a lot about how each of these four guys should be in the HHOF for years and years, rightly or wrongly.
right, forgot about him

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 05:23 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
right, forgot about him
Joe Mullen is easy to forget.

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote