HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #10 - Florida Panthers vs. Atlanta Thrashers - 3.11.2010

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 500
Was at the game last night, had a lot of fun, thought the guys played well, but was disappointed with Vokoun. Murph and I had no idea Buff had scored until everyone skated over to him with their arms up, he just let in 3 weak goals. Not too convinced there was 55 actual shots, though.

Though they didn't score, I felt the PP was good. Lots of movement and pressure.

Went to practice this morning, the guys worked on everything. Mostly entering the zone with the puck and taking shots from the point. Defense worked on that a lot, I sat in the end where they were.

Kuli, Hordi, Dvo, and Frolik were the last ones off the ice. Kuli worked a lot on his slapper and Frolik and Dvorak worked a lot on around the net type stuff.

Hordi, though, was the last off and worked on stick handling, shooting, and just his skating. I met him off the ice and told him I was happy he was back, he had a big smile and shook my hand. Told him I loved the hard work he put in after practice, he said he is working hard and seemed glad I noticed it.

Also met Fialkov at practice, was a nice guy and very willing to talk. He seems to care whether they win or lose, unlike some other reporters that have covered the team. We talked about how they have to work so hard for every win, he mentioned they're not being an Ovechkin here, we both laughed and that's what started the hard work talk.

Had a much needed great couple of days, wish they would have won, but oh well.

11-04-2010, 03:15 PM
CatscratchFever
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Every team is more talented than our team. Even though Vokoun allowed some bad goals, the only way we can score is if a defenseman pulls a goal out of his rear or a forward gets a lucky rebound. You can have 100 shots, you're not going to win many games with a pathetic offense.
This post is 100% on the money. To disagree would be obvious homerism. The lack of offensive talent on a team that has finished so poorly for so long is staggering. Markstrom, Gudbranson, blah, blah blah, the point of this game is to outscore the opponent, no? I hope Tallon realizes this.

Old
11-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Haj
#CatsAreComing

Yeah.....Chris Mason in net....Rich Peverly...Dustin Byfgulien...... Evander Kane. Tobias Enstrom on D. An unbeatable ****ing juggernaut.

Old
11-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
Yeah.....Chris Mason in net....Rich Peverly...Dustin Byfgulien...... Evander Kane. Tobias Enstrom on D. An unbeatable ****ing juggernaut.
Yeah, the Dustin Byfuglien who's playing amazing right now, one of the best offensive D's in the league, Enstrom is a better offensive D than anybody we have, and their top 6 forwards are definitely better than ours. Antropov, Peverley, Bergfors, Kane, Ladd, and Little who didn't even play.

Old
11-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Panthers607
#CatsAreComing

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah, the Dustin Byfuglien who's playing amazing right now, one of the best offensive D's in the league, Enstrom is a better offensive D than anybody we have, and their top 6 forwards are definitely better than ours. Antropov, Peverley, Bergfors, Kane, Ladd, and Little who didn't even play.
LOL

Fail troll is fail

Old
11-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFLA View Post
LOL

Fail troll is fail
Um...alrighty then.

Old
11-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Panthers607
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Um...alrighty then.
That was meant towards Haj...

anyway, anyone know if Pavelec is 100% OK from the incident?

Old
11-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Sunshinehockey

Again, we are giving away a lead late in the third period... The 55 shots we put on net were lousy... No screens, NO ONE going for a rebound... Without any effort given, then the 55 shots from dead angles are just as good as one clear shot from the slot.

Old
11-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Gudbranson44

i managed to watch the game last night and i have to say, i thought we had a safe win after 3-2, but then atlanta showed us the hard way that hard work will only get you thus far, you need skilled guys who can put it in the net.
we have a modin in d-vo, but we lack a byfulingen (yeah oscar thats for u) and a bergfors.

i think rnh would be the best for us in the draft only due to his offensive talents. tallon drafted kane so he aint a stranger of small players. hopefully we will be able to add another 1st rounder and add a natural scorer like skinner. we need less grinders and more offense, and its so obvious it hurts

Old
11-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Panthers607
#CatsAreComing

Old
11-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:

Old
11-05-2010, 12:48 AM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
That was meant towards Haj...

anyway, anyone know if Pavelec is 100% OK from the incident?
he fainted. he's fine.

Old
11-05-2010, 01:03 AM
Panthers607
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I laughed at what WIONB did to Buff's name. Just some silly swedish stuff, never mind.

Old
11-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Haj
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
LOL

Fail troll is fail
Redundant poster is redundant

I'm not trolling. If Atlanta is so talented then why did the Panthers dominate the game ? Its a valid question. For the record, Booth abused Tobias Enstrom a few times.

Old
11-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Panthers607
#CatsAreComing

Quote:

I'm not trolling. If Atlanta is so talented then why did the Panthers dominate the game ? Its a valid question. For the record, Booth abused Tobias Enstrom a few times.
Redundant? Give me a break buddy

Old
11-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:

Atlanta didn't even try for most of the game and they still beat us. That's what you should be focusing on. We played our guts out and couldn't get more than 3 goals on 55 shots on a Chris Mason who didn't even play that well.

Old
11-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Atlanta didn't even try for most of the game and they still beat us. That's what you should be focusing on. We played our guts out and couldn't get more than 3 goals on 55 shots on a Chris Mason who didn't even play that well.
Pretty sure they tried, and were dominated.

If Vokoun plays like...Vokoun...everyone is happy about this one, and the fact that we got 55 shots on net.

I'll take my chances with the Panthers playing like this more often than not. If you keep outplaying teams, sooner or later the wins are going to come. Especially when you have one of the best goalies in the world on your team who will not play the way he played against Atlanta, more often than not.

Old
11-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Pretty sure they tried, and were dominated.

If Vokoun plays like...Vokoun...everyone is happy about this one, and the fact that we got 55 shots on net.

I'll take my chances with the Panthers playing like this more often than not. If you keep outplaying teams, sooner or later the wins are going to come. Especially when you have one of the best goalies in the world on your team who will not play the way he played against Atlanta, more often than not.
They tried? You've gotta be kidding. It looked like they forgot to show up.

Old
11-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Erick*

Quote:
They tried? You've gotta be kidding. It looked like they forgot to show up.
I guess Carolina isn't trying tonight either? Panthers have already put up 19 shots in the 1st period. (and 3 goals)

Maybe it's the Panthers who now have a more aggressive identity?

Old
11-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
I guess Carolina isn't trying tonight either? Panthers have already put up 19 shots in the 1st period. (and 3 goals)

Maybe it's the Panthers who now have a more aggressive identity?
What does Carolina have to do with Atlanta? The Canes are trying, and they are not getting outplayed at all. We have 19 shots, they have 12. They are dominating us on faceoffs. Looks like we forgot to come play defense tonight too. Both defenses look horrible. The Canes' defense without Pitkanen is just pathetic, that helps us.

Old
11-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Erick*

Quote:
What does Carolina have to do with Atlanta? The Canes are trying, and they are not getting outplayed at all. We have 19 shots, they have 12. They are dominating us on faceoffs. Looks like we forgot to come play defense tonight too. Both defenses look horrible. The Canes' defense without Pitkanen is just pathetic, that helps us.
Canes were outplayed, just like the Thrashers.
The Panthers have played evenly or outplayed most of their opponents this year.

Simple Question: If the team continues the consistent efforts, why can't they become a good team?

This 5-6 start could easily look a lot better. It's 11 games. People are making conclusions/wanting to tank way too early in the season.

The "we have no talented forwards" line is getting old, as well. It's BS. We might not have a legit first line, but there are plenty of guys on this team capable of scoring. 5-6 is not even a bad start, considering the best players on the team have been underachieving.

If the team continues the efforts, and the best players play like...the best players...I see no reason why THIS team can't be a good team.

A team with good goaltending that sticks to its system can be just as effective as some of the top-notch talented teams.

Just ridiculous to me that so many fans are rooting for the tank 11 games into the season when the team has played well, and has the 4th best goal differential in the Eastern Conference.

Old
11-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Canes were outplayed, just like the Thrashers.
The Panthers have played evenly or outplayed most of their opponents this year.

Simple Question: If the team continues the consistent efforts, why can't they become a good team?

This 5-6 start could easily look a lot better. It's 11 games. People are making conclusions/wanting to tank way too early in the season.

The "we have no talented forwards" line is getting old, as well. It's BS. We might not have a legit first line, but there are plenty of guys on this team capable of scoring. 5-6 is not even a bad start, considering the best players on the team have been underachieving.

If the team continues the efforts, and the best players play like...the best players...I see no reason why THIS team can't be a good team.

A team with good goaltending that sticks to its system can be just as effective as some of the top-notch talented teams.

Just ridiculous to me that so many fans are rooting for the tank 11 games into the season when the team has played well, and has the 4th best goal differential in the Eastern Conference.
Not at that point, but yes I admit, at the end of the game the Canes were dominated. But I don't think it will last. Atlanta didn't show up for most of the game, and the Canes defense is bad. Without Pitkanen, they're atrocious. You saw tons of rookie mistakes from McBain and Carson. Also very sloppy play by the Canes, bad line changes, lots of odd man breaks given up, poor coverage etc. I'm not saying the Panthers didn't play great, they deserve every bit of credit for their execution, but let's call a spade a spade. It's not like we just dominated L.A. When the Panthers can do this consistently against the better teams in the NHL, then I'll be impressed. And despite the Panthers' effort, they still almost blew it. Yes, the refs weren't that great, but still, they let Carolina hang around.

The Panthers have not outplayed most of their opponents this year. Played evenly? Yeah OK, but so what? And outwork should not necessarily be confused with outplay either. We will probably outwork a lot of teams this season, but that doesn't we will outplay them all.

"The 5-6 start could look a lot better". Yeah, it could. It could also look a lot worse. We've had some games so far where we pulled through by the skin of our teeth too. People get too hung up on games like Edmonton and Toronto. You are going to get some games like that over the course of a season. We will win a few games where we will get very lucky too. We are 5-6. That's what we are. Don't try to make us into anything better. After 20 games, we will have a better idea of where this team stands. I'm still not that impressed though at this point. Impressed with the effort? Hell yes. But this still looks like a lottery team to me. We have a great goal differential, but we have one of the lowest GF's in the league. Doesn't matter what you're differential is if you can't score, unless you only give up 1-2 goals a game most nights like Boston. We have our moments, but they are not the norm. We'll see.

It's not that we have NO talented forwards, but people are not wrong in saying that this team lacks talented forwards in comparison to other teams. We might have some decent depth, but depth only gets you so far, especially because guys will get injured over the course of the season. Every team's players have slumps at some point. You could say the same for NJ's players, for example. You think all those guys are going to continue to play this way the entire season? I don't think so. Besides, I don't think the rest of the NHL is worried about Weiss and Frolik coming alive. Now that those guys are playing better, someone else could just as easily go into a slump.

And let's not bicker amongst ourselves. It amazes me, all the people that are against the tank, how much they complain about some comments here. If you don't like it, just ignore it. It's not that hard. We're all Panthers fans here, and we're all entitled to our opinions. We all want this team to become winners, in one way or another. If you really want to namecall, and you want my opinion, I think you're as ridiculous as you think I am, because you think this team will actually make the playoffs. See how nice that was? This is a messageboard, for the purpose of typing out people's opinions. You're opinion is no better than mine. If you want to get nasty so be it, but I'd rather it not resort to that.

Old
11-06-2010, 01:01 AM
Erick*

Quote:
Not at that point, but yes I admit, at the end of the game the Canes were dominated. But I don't think it will last. Atlanta didn't show up for most of the game, and the Canes defense is bad. Without Pitkanen, they're atrocious. You saw tons of rookie mistakes from McBain and Carson. Also very sloppy play by the Canes, bad line changes, lots of odd man breaks given up, poor coverage etc. I'm not saying the Panthers didn't play great, they deserve every bit of credit for their execution, but let's call a spade a spade. It's not like we just dominated L.A. When the Panthers can do this consistently against the better teams in the NHL, then I'll be impressed. And despite the Panthers' effort, they still almost blew it. Yes, the refs weren't that great, but still, they let Carolina hang around.

The Panthers have not outplayed most of their opponents this year. Played evenly? Yeah OK, but so what? And outwork should not necessarily be confused with outplay either. We will probably outwork a lot of teams this season, but that doesn't we will outplay them all.

"The 5-6 start could look a lot better". Yeah, it could. It could also look a lot worse. We've had some games so far where we pulled through by the skin of our teeth too. People get too hung up on games like Edmonton and Toronto. You are going to get some games like that over the course of a season. We will win a few games where we will get very lucky too. We are 5-6. That's what we are. Don't try to make us into anything better. After 20 games, we will have a better idea of where this team stands. I'm still not that impressed though at this point. Impressed with the effort? Hell yes. But this still looks like a lottery team to me. We have a great goal differential, but we have one of the lowest GF's in the league. Doesn't matter what you're differential is if you can't score, unless you only give up 1-2 goals a game most nights like Boston. We have our moments, but they are not the norm. We'll see.

It's not that we have NO talented forwards, but people are not wrong in saying that this team lacks talented forwards in comparison to other teams. We might have some decent depth, but depth only gets you so far, especially because guys will get injured over the course of the season. Every team's players have slumps at some point. You could say the same for NJ's players, for example. You think all those guys are going to continue to play this way the entire season? I don't think so. Besides, I don't think the rest of the NHL is worried about Weiss and Frolik coming alive. Now that those guys are playing better, someone else could just as easily go into a slump.

And let's not bicker amongst ourselves. It amazes me, all the people that are against the tank, how much they complain about some comments here. If you don't like it, just ignore it. It's not that hard. We're all Panthers fans here, and we're all entitled to our opinions. We all want this team to become winners, in one way or another. If you really want to namecall, and you want my opinion, I think you're as ridiculous as you think I am, because you think this team will actually make the playoffs. See how nice that was? This is a messageboard, for the purpose of typing out people's opinions. You're opinion is no better than mine. If you want to get nasty so be it, but I'd rather it not resort to that.
1. Can you please explain the outwork/outplay difference, and tell me how it applies to this Panthers team? When you "outwork" teams by having more shots/scoring chances by a considerable margin, that (imo) means you outplayed the team. Losing on those nights becomes a case of the opposing goaltender just being better.

2. I disagree. Weiss had 3 points (1 goal) the first 9 games of the season. Frolik had 4 points (1 goal). That's 2 of our projected first liners at the beginning of the year. So, you can't really say that most teams had their top players struggling to that degree. I suppose you can expect regression from Reasoner, but for the most part, there were more underachievers than overachievers production-wise for the first 10 games.

3. The Devils are a bad comparison. The Panthers have a better team than the Devils. I've watched the Devils play, and they are a mess, defensively. A big reason why is because they have a no name defense. Their offense sucks, as well. They gave Kovalchuk that 17 year deal, and apparently forgot they needed depth/role players, as well. Now Parise (their actual best player) is out for the next 3 months. That's just a bad team. Their -23 goal differential tells the story. It's not a matter of ****** luck with them.

4. Goal differential for the Panthers through 11 games is a good sign any way you interpret it. Shots for/shots allowed are also a good sign, this year.

5. Care to tell me how our record could easily be worse than 5-6? The only questionable win was at Montreal. I don't really understand why you're saying it could easily be worse, as well.

6. I didn't mean to sound like an ******* when I said "ridiculous." Just used the wrong word I guess, in the middle of a hockey debate. Not really trying to offend anyone; especially not someone who I consider to be knowledgable (you).

Old
11-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

[QUOTE]
Quote:
1. Can you please explain the outwork/outplay difference, and tell me how it applies to this Panthers team? When you "outwork" teams by having more shots/scoring chances by a considerable margin, that (imo) means you outplayed the team. Losing on those nights becomes a case of the opposing goaltender just being better.
A good example I think is Vancouver. We outworked them, but they outplayed us. They were the better team and they showed it. IF you get more shots AND scoring chances by a considerable margin, then most of the time you have outplayed your opponent. But if you are just outshooting them but not getting a lot of quality chances, then that doesn't necessarily mean you've outplayed them. However, a team can also outplay you and get only 20 shots. The most telling stat should be possession time. A team could be in it's element and controlling the game, and they might only need 10 quality chances to finish you off.

Quote:
2. I disagree. Weiss had 3 points (1 goal) the first 9 games of the season. Frolik had 4 points (1 goal). That's 2 of our projected first liners at the beginning of the year. So, you can't really say that most teams had their top players struggling to that degree. I suppose you can expect regression from Reasoner, but for the most part, there were more underachievers than overachievers production-wise for the first 10 games.
Actually, they did. New Jersey, Buffalo, Calgary all had the same thing just to name a few. Matthias or Olesz could easily go into a slump soon. Those guys have been important in recent wins. Whether they are overachievers or underachievers, anybody who's a leading scorer for the Panthers so far has been critically involved in some wins.

Quote:
3. The Devils are a bad comparison. The Panthers have a better team than the Devils. I've watched the Devils play, and they are a mess, defensively. A big reason why is because they have a no name defense. Their offense sucks, as well. They gave Kovalchuk that 17 year deal, and apparently forgot they needed depth/role players, as well. Now Parise (their actual best player) is out for the next 3 months. That's just a bad team. Their -23 goal differential tells the story. It's not a matter of ****** luck with them.
The Panthers do not have a better team than the Devils. This is the same team that finished as one of the top teams in the East last season. All they did was basically swap out Martin for Volchenkov and Tallinder. The Devils are just underachieving and probably having a hard adjustment period to MacLean. Kovy only has like 6 pts. He sucks? The defense should get better now that Volchenkov recently returned, he's been injured all season. Even without Parise, they still have Elias, Zajac, Langenbrunner, Arnott, Kovy, Zubrus, and Clarkson. They have plenty of talent up front.

Quote:
4. Goal differential for the Panthers through 11 games is a good sign any way you interpret it. Shots for/shots allowed are also a good sign, this year.
Yeah, it's a good sign, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are going to be a playoff team.

Quote:
5. Care to tell me how our record could easily be worse than 5-6? The only questionable win was at Montreal. I don't really understand why you're saying it could easily be worse, as well.
The Islanders game could have gone either way as well.

Old
11-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Erick*

[QUOTE=Markstrom Rules;28770279]
Quote:

A good example I think is Vancouver. We outworked them, but they outplayed us. They were the better team and they showed it. IF you get more shots AND scoring chances by a considerable margin, then most of the time you have outplayed your opponent. But if you are just outshooting them but not getting a lot of quality chances, then that doesn't necessarily mean you've outplayed them. However, a team can also outplay you and get only 20 shots. The most telling stat should be possession time. A team could be in it's element and controlling the game, and they might only need 10 quality chances to finish you off.

Actually, they did. New Jersey, Buffalo, Calgary all had the same thing just to name a few. Matthias or Olesz could easily go into a slump soon. Those guys have been important in recent wins. Whether they are overachievers or underachievers, anybody who's a leading scorer for the Panthers so far has been critically involved in some wins.

The Panthers do not have a better team than the Devils. This is the same team that finished as one of the top teams in the East last season. All they did was basically swap out Martin for Volchenkov and Tallinder. The Devils are just underachieving and probably having a hard adjustment period to MacLean. Kovy only has like 6 pts. He sucks? The defense should get better now that Volchenkov recently returned, he's been injured all season. Even without Parise, they still have Elias, Zajac, Langenbrunner, Arnott, Kovy, Zubrus, and Clarkson. They have plenty of talent up front.

Yeah, it's a good sign, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are going to be a playoff team.

The Islanders game could have gone either way as well.

I see your point now on the outwork/outplay thing, I guess. Fair enough.

New Jersey and Buffalo are pretty much the worst teams in the league right now. Horrible starts. Horrible starts because their big players haven't played like big players. The case has been the same with the Panthers, and they've managed to go 5-6. I think that's a good sign. Sooner or later, Weiss is going to perform like Weiss, Frolik should perform like Frolik, etc.

I think the Devils are in trouble. You mentioned how the Panthers can't overcome big injuries (true). I don't think the Devils are in position to do that either, and we already know Parise is out 3 months. The Devils depth is horrible. Their checking line players are full of no-names right now, and I believe half of their D men are rookies. The names you mentioned after Kovalchuk and Zajac aren't that impressive, at this point of their careers. To be fair, they also have Brian Rolston, who you didn't mention. Still, my point stands on them. I expect them to end up being pretty bad this season.

Never said current goal differential would automatically make the Panthers a playoff team. However, if the team can manage to continue playing at this pace every 11 games, I like the team's chances.

The Islanders game could have gone either way; I thought you were going to come up with examples in which we were outplayed and were lucky to get 2 points (like Edmonton and Atlanta were with us).

Closed Thread