HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is NYC more Rangers or Knicks?

Old
11-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Marc Staal

vCash: 500
Is NYC more Rangers or Knicks?

Who do you think is more talk of the town? I wish when I turned on WFAN I would hear them talking some NYR hockey but never going to happen lol. Like when you think of MSG, do you think Knicks or Rangers first?

We all know it goes Yankees,Mets, Giants,Jets then Rangers/Knicks.

Just a random question lol.

Marc Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Nyrfan25

vCash: 707
Really ?
There is no comparison, the Rangers are so far below every other NY sports team it is not even comparable.

Nyrfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 05:39 PM
nyrmetros

When I think of MSG, I think of Hockey and boxing.
When PEOPLE think of MSG, they think of basketball, boxing, concerts, circus, expensive beer, and then hockey.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 05:59 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Neither one of these two teams are talked about and it annoys me.

I mean here are the Knicks finally playing great basketball and they're barely mention. All of FIVE minutes. I understand yesterday was "Football Friday" on all the talk shows but when you have 3 or 5 hours to fill there's no need to talk about the same thing for that long. Sorry don't want to hear about Derek Jeter's contract, who the next Mets manager is, Johnny Bench etc... all week.

I love baseball and football but come on. There are other sports in the town...

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 06:18 PM
17futurecap

Huge fan of both the Knicks and Rangers, and I would say the majority of people don't care at all about either. I mean all sports talk is Football and Hotstove baseball. I would go Knicks however because more people know the stars of the NBA then the NHL, and when someone like Kobe or Lebron comes into MSG it is a big night by the media, and I don't really get the sense it is the same when a Crosby or Ovechkin comes in to MSG.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 06:29 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

NYC's interest in the Rangers and Knicks have both wanned since 1994 when they were competing for titles. Knicks probably get the edge simply because there are like 1000x more basketball courts than ice rinks in NYC so people can relate to basketball more. You got more people saying stuff like "hey, you want to go the the Knicks game? Kobe Bryant and Lakers are in town." than "you want to go to the Rangers game? Ovechkin is in town." Ovec-who?

This is NOT how it usually goes down.

http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/mascots_guys_talking/

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 06:44 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

More recently it's been the Rangers because they've been competitive and generally pretty good since the lockout. They even got a few back covers like when they beat the Thrashers in Game 1 of their playoff series when Marcel Hossa had his Born Invinsible (http://www.amazon.com/Born-Invincibl.../dp/B00009IAX9) pose. When it has been the Knicks it was for all the wrong reasons.

It doesn't compare to the early 90s though; pretty much after Daryl left the Mets, Parcells left the Giants, and Steinbrenner got kicked out of baseball for a few years, it was ALL about the MSG teams.

It's a different era now but the way to generate interest is pretty easy; Win Championships.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 06:49 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I will say this, more attention is payed to both sports once the playoffs start. A lot of fans who aren't necessarily NBA and NHL fans, think the seasons are way too long. You get the 'these early games aren't all that important'. No one ever complains how long the baseball season is. Thankfully they're thinking about cutting the season down.

Old
11-06-2010, 06:49 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

It angers me seeing locals wearing Celtics, Bulls or Heat jerseys in this city, have they no self respect? Anywho, as of now it's pretty even, but when the Knicks eventually make the playoffs it will be a Knick town.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 06:52 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
It angers me seeing locals wearing Celtics, Bulls or Heat jerseys in this city, have they no self respect? Anywho, as of now it's pretty even, but when the Knicks eventually make the playoffs it will be a Knick town.
Bandwagon fans.

Throw the Cowgirls and Steelers in there too.

Old
11-06-2010, 06:53 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
I know, it's pretty crazy, but it's a fashion thing too and not just in hip hop culture. Plenty of guys wearing Lebron, Rondo, Garnett, throwback Jordans, etc.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 06:55 PM
morffin

I was talking to one of the ushers at the garden a few games ago and he told me knicks games are infested with tourist ...its a big attraction for euro tourist.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 06:58 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
a) How do you know they're locals?

b) How do you know what their formative sports influences were? Is there something so horrible about someone who is born here but whose parents are from Boston or Chicago and raise them to be fans of those teams?

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
Knicks. No question.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 07:12 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
a) How do you know they're locals?

b) How do you know what their formative sports influences were? Is there something so horrible about someone who is born here but whose parents are from Boston or Chicago and raise them to be fans of those teams?
a) Nobody getting on the (L) train in East New York is a tourist.

b) That may be the case for some of them, but in the city of Ewing and Frazier seeing such a disproportionate amount of out of town Jerseys is not an effect of that. I see one Knick jersey for every other 5 Celtic, Bull, Magic etc. jersey.

And yes there is something wrong with that, it's not about sports it's a testament to peoples attitudes. Moving on to the next best thing, instant gratification, no loyalty etc.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Marc Staal

I would say there is around a 99.9% of an NBA lockout after this season so you think NHL can get more talk if so?

Im a huge Knicks fan too but I just don't undertsnad how people get so hyped for the NBA. Unless your Lakers, Celtics, Magic, or Heat fan, your rooting for a team that is going no where or just bounced out the 1st round of playoffs.

Old
11-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Bandwagon fans.

Throw the Cowgirls and Steelers in there too.
Not anymore, lol.

Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 07:49 PM
ogie

This is a Knick town , and further more a basketball town in general. Can't speak for the current climate but when i was in school basketball was the be-all-end-all in this city.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 07:50 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan18nyr View Post
I would say there is around a 99.9% of an NBA lockout after this season so you think NHL can get more talk if so?

Im a huge Knicks fan too but I just don't undertsnad how people get so hyped for the NBA. Unless your Lakers, Celtics, Magic, or Heat fan, your rooting for a team that is going no where or just bounced out the 1st round of playoffs.
That's true. That's what sucks about the NBA imo. Something is seriously wrong when you can predict in October who's going to be in the finals.
Despite the cap there is zero parity. You got the Celtics and the Lakers winning half the leagues championships.
The sport is all about the star player. Forget having a good all around team game and cohesion.
There will be no San Francisco Giants of the NBA winning it all.

Old
11-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Marc Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
That's true. That's what sucks about the NBA imo. Something is seriously wrong when you can predict in October who's going to be in the finals.
Despite the cap there is zero parity. You got the Celtics and the Lakers winning half the leagues championships.
The sport is all about the star player. Forget having a good all around team game and cohesion.
There will be no San Francisco Giants of the NBA winning it all.
Exactly.

The only upset I can think of was GS beating Dallas that one year. This is why I just cant get so hyped up about the Knicks as a fan right now even though they are doing decent right now. I mean it would be awesome to get back in the playoffs but cmon, does anyone really think where a title contender without Melo and/or CP3?

Old
11-06-2010, 08:06 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
I dont care what anyone says, MSG is hockey to me. And plenty of people in NYC are concerned with the Rangers, when I walk around town after the game..people always ask me "Did they win?", or "Great game". I am so sick of people saying the Rangers are irrelevant in the NYC because its flat out NOT TRUE.

11-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
I was talking to one of the ushers at the garden a few games ago and he told me knicks games are infested with tourist ...its a big attraction for euro tourist.
Guess the guy doesn't work hockey games--lots of Europeans there too.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Marc Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I dont care what anyone says, MSG is hockey to me. And plenty of people in NYC are concerned with the Rangers, when I walk around town after the game..people always ask me "Did they win?", or "Great game". I am so sick of people saying the Rangers are irrelevant in the NYC because its flat out NOT TRUE.
Agreed 100%.

Even though I love the Knicks/NBA (nowhere near as much as the Rangers/NHL), im knid of hoping for a lockout just so maybe the NHL can get more publicity and people realize how great of a sport hockey is.

Old
11-06-2010, 08:46 PM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Guess the guy doesn't work hockey games--lots of Europeans there too.
yeah thats what got the conversation going..but he told me it wasnt even close....many more tourist at knicks games.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 08:48 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
a) Nobody getting on the (L) train in East New York is a tourist.
Perhaps not tourists, but transplanted (rather than native) New Yorkers.

Quote:
b) That may be the case for some of them, but in the city of Ewing and Frazier seeing such a disproportionate amount of out of town Jerseys is not an effect of that. I see one Knick jersey for every other 5 Celtic, Bull, Magic etc. jersey.
Transplants + Bandwagoners + a dreadful local team will get you that.

Quote:
And yes there is something wrong with that, it's not about sports it's a testament to peoples attitudes. Moving on to the next best thing, instant gratification, no loyalty etc.
Sorry, but you're way off base if you think there's something wrong with a kid growing up in NY and rooting for the Celtics because his dad is a big Celtics fan.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote