HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is NYC more Rangers or Knicks?

Old
11-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

vCash: 500
I'd say it's probably 50/50 in NYC because of demographics. Let's be real...

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 09:19 PM
NYRFAN218
Brass God

While a lot of people do care about Basketball, it seems like there are nowhere near the amount of diehard fans there are in Hockey. Anybody that I talked to that's liked Basketball always likes the big teams such as the Heat, Lakers, etc. It's just now that it seems like the Knicks are gaining steam again after the offseason. Meanwhile I talk to a decent amount of people that are Hockey fans and watch the Rangers though it's nowhere near the level that we follow the team.

While the media doesn't cover it much and it seems like in afterthought in the paper, Hockey and the Rangers are a lot more popular in the city than people give it credit for.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 09:25 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Perhaps not tourists, but transplanted (rather than native) New Yorkers.

Transplants + Bandwagoners + a dreadful local team will get you that.

Sorry, but you're way off base if you think there's something wrong with a kid growing up in NY and rooting for the Celtics because his dad is a big Celtics fan.
I think that you're in that category (of people whose parents were out of town fans) and you think this is some personal attack against you. You clearly seem to be offended by my comments, or have a bone to pick with the Knicks.

To make it clear if you grew up in a family whose parents were out of town fans, awesome I don't care, you have a legitimate reason to be a Lakers fan or whatever. I'm talking about everyone else. The majority of people in NYC don't grow up with their parents fans of out of town NBA teams; many do - most don't. So it says something about sports fans in this town when Knick merchandise is in the minority a big minority.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
While a lot of people do care about Basketball, it seems like there are nowhere near the amount of diehard fans there are in Hockey. Anybody that I talked to that's liked Basketball always likes the big teams such as the Heat, Lakers, etc. It's just now that it seems like the Knicks are gaining steam again after the offseason. Meanwhile I talk to a decent amount of people that are Hockey fans and watch the Rangers though it's nowhere near the level that we follow the team.

While the media doesn't cover it much and it seems like in afterthought in the paper, Hockey and the Rangers are a lot more popular in the city than people give it credit for.
Exactly. I live in Florida where it's 90 freaking degrees everyday, and not counting the Lightning, you see more support of hockey teams than basketball. Compared to seeing somebody wear a shirt of a team from the NHL compared to the NBA, it's basically 5 to 1. If not more than that. Again, not counting the Lightning.

Old
11-06-2010, 09:37 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
I think that you're in that category (of people whose parents were out of town fans) and you think this is some personal attack against you. You clearly seem to be offended by my comments, or have a bone to pick with the Knicks.
Nope. Whole family is from NY, and I root for nothing but NY teams (in case my username, avatar, and presence on this board didn't give it away).

Quote:
To make it clear if you grew up in a family whose parents were out of town fans, awesome I don't care, you have a legitimate reason to be a Lakers fan or whatever. I'm talking about everyone else. The majority of people in NYC don't grow up with their parents fans of out of town NBA teams; many do - most don't. So it says something about sports fans in this town when Knick merchandise is in the minority a big minority.
It says that the Knicks are terrible. Really, that's all it is.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 09:37 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Could just be who I associate myself with, but I don't know a damn person who cares about the Knicks.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Marc Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post

Agreed.

Also alot of people who like the NBA are of a fan of a player of a team. Of course you have your share of die-hard Knicks, Celtics, Lakers, etc but alot are just "Lebron or Kobe fans".

What do you guys like better NHL or NBA? For me its not even close, NHL.

Marc Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 09:50 PM
DutchShamrock

If the Knicks get hot and are at the top after 25 games, ESPN and every local sports show will be talking about the Knicks nonstop. For the Rangers to get a mention, they'd have to be the top team in the conference come March, have a top guy in stats, and be in serious contention for a title.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 09:55 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
If the Knicks get hot and are at the top after 25 games, ESPN and every local sports show will be talking about the Knicks nonstop. For the Rangers to get a mention, they'd have to be the top team in the conference come March, have a top guy in stats, and be in serious contention for a title.
I couldn't care less what ESPN does. They are a joke and disrespect the sport.

11-06-2010, 10:16 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
This is a Knick town , and further more a basketball town in general. Can't speak for the current climate but when i was in school basketball was the be-all-end-all in this city.
No it's not. What are you talking about? NY a basketball town?
Are you kidding?
NY is a baseball town 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
4th and 5th a football town.
Then a big gap.
After which basketball and hockey interchange depending on who is doing good.

I don't care if this comes as PC or not PC, but the only reason people call NY a basketball town is because of the urban/ethnic enclaves which distort people's perception.
Hockey in NY is huge, we have a very rabid fanbase which is why NY has 3 NHL teams and only 2 NBA teams.
The NHL locals get better TV ratings than the NBA locals if you add them up together (and even moreso if you factor in some Ranger games are on MSG2, and more Ranger/Devil/Islander games compete head to head than Knicks and Nets).

Hockey in NY is no less popular than hockey is in Philly or in Boston.
Our other northeast rival cities are no more a hockey than basketball town than NY.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:20 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
It angers me seeing locals wearing Celtics, Bulls or Heat jerseys in this city, have they no self respect? Anywho, as of now it's pretty even, but when the Knicks eventually make the playoffs it will be a Knick town.
Wait...what?
I don't follow the Knicks...but you're saying that NY has a lot of Celtics, Bulls, Lakers, and Heat fans?
One thing which annoys me about hockey at MSG is how have to deal with so many popular road teams like
Montreal/Toronto/Buffalo/the Devils/Islanders/Flyers/Red Wings/BlackHawks/Penguins, and to a lesser extent, much lesser, the Bruins and Caps.

I always felt Knicks fans had it MUCH easier in that when they played at MSG, they didn't have to deal with road fans as we do.
I mean, the Knicks don't have to deal with a local rival like the Devils or Islanders (the Nets have absolutely NO fans, not even at MSG).
The Knicks also don't have a popular team in Philly to deal with, nor do they have the Candians following their national pastime.
I always have been jealous that in terms of home crowds, the Knicks have it MUCH easier than us because Buffalo/Tornonto/Montreal are non-existant in basktball, Philly always stinks, NJ has no fans.

You're telling me that Knicks fans DO have to deal with road fans at MSG like we do?
Who besides the Celtics and Lakers would bother coming to MSG?
I mean, even then, are the Celtics or Lakers really THAT popular in NYC in that they bring hordes here?

Old
11-06-2010, 10:27 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monmouth View Post
Wait...what?
I don't follow the Knicks...but you're saying that NY has a lot of Celtics, Bulls, Lakers, and Heat fans?
One thing which annoys me about hockey at MSG is how have to deal with so many popular road teams like
Montreal/Toronto/Buffalo/the Devils/Islanders/Flyers/Red Wings/BlackHawks/Penguins, and to a lesser extent, much lesser, the Bruins and Caps.

I always felt Knicks fans had it MUCH easier in that when they played at MSG, they didn't have to deal with road fans as we do.
I mean, the Knicks don't have to deal with a local rival like the Devils or Islanders (the Nets have absolutely NO fans, not even at MSG).
The Knicks also don't have a popular team in Philly to deal with, nor do they have the Candians following their national pastime.
I always have been jealous that in terms of home crowds, the Knicks have it MUCH easier than us because Buffalo/Tornonto/Montreal are non-existant in basktball, Philly always stinks, NJ has no fans.

You're telling me that Knicks fans DO have to deal with road fans at MSG like we do?
I mean, even then, are the Celtics or Lakers really THAT popular in NYC in that they bring hordes here?
Hard to complain about this part since we bring a ton of road fans anywhere we go also.

BlueShirts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

I'll have to say Knicks, I still find it hard to belive the Knicks only won 29 games and was still the 3rd best in attendance.

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:29 PM
mucker*

Yea I know...but it's not fair that WE have to deal with TWO obnoxious local rivals (Isles and Devils)+obnoxious Philly fans+obnoxious Canadian fans and the Knicks don't have to with any local NY teams, Philly fans, or upstate NY/Candian fans.
They don't have it half as hard as we do.

Old
11-06-2010, 10:30 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik Scores View Post
I'll have to say Knicks, I still find it hard to belive the Knicks only won 29 games and was still the 3rd best in attendance.
98-04 we missed the playoffs and drew almost 18,200 nightly.
Dolan sell-outs

Old
11-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
No it's not. What are you talking about? NY a basketball town?
Are you kidding?
NY is a baseball town 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
4th and 5th a football town.
Then a big gap.
After which basketball and hockey interchange depending on who is doing good.

I don't care if this comes as PC or not PC, but the only reason people call NY a basketball town is because of the urban/ethnic enclaves which distort people's perception.
Hockey in NY is huge, we have a very rabid fanbase which is why NY has 3 NHL teams and only 2 NBA teams.
The NHL locals get better TV ratings than the NBA locals if you add them up together (and even moreso if you factor in some Ranger games are on MSG2, and more Ranger/Devil/Islander games compete head to head than Knicks and Nets).

Hockey in NY is no less popular than hockey is in Philly or in Boston.
Our other northeast rival cities are no more a hockey than basketball town than NY.
Hockey is more popular in New York than Philly or Boston, in my opinion. Like you said, we have three teams. There's obviously a demand for them.

Old
11-06-2010, 10:35 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
Yea I know...but it's not fair that WE have to deal with TWO obnoxious local rivals (Isles and Devils)+obnoxious Philly fans+obnoxious Canadian fans and the Knicks don't have to with any local NY teams, Philly fans, or upstate NY/Candian fans.
They don't have it half as hard as we do.
Wait a second, the Islanders and Devils hardly bring anyone to MSG first of all...nothing compared to what we draw at their places. The only obnoxious fans that come are Philly (the whole city is trash btw) and Montreal (rude canadians, disrespect us and our country--very sad, actually). Other than that, there are very few road fans at MSG. Pittsburgh over the past year has brought nothing, and the blackhawks fans that were here last game were as quiet as a mouse.

Old
11-06-2010, 10:43 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Quote:
Wait...what?

The Knicks have a lot of fans on the road too. Good road following. Even in LA.

Lots of Laker fans in NY. Lebron fans and to some extent Celtic fans at MSG. Outside of them no NBA team fans travel well... throw the Knicks in with those teams that travel well.

I can't believe Knick fans got accused of rooting for the Lakers and chanting "MVP" to Kobe a couple of years ago. It was pretty obvious to me those were LAKER fans not Knick fans.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:44 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Hockey is more popular in New York than Philly or Boston, in my opinion. Like you said, we have three teams. There's obviously a demand for them.
I just want to clarify, the three NY hockey teams are NYR, NYI and BUF. I hate when some people consider the Devils a New York hockey team---they are not and never will be. I can't stand that state ....just the fact they own the statue of liberty makes me sick.

Old
11-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Marc Staal

Quote:
Flyers are prob. more popular then the Sixers in Philly.

Marc Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:55 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

NY is a hoops town

how many ice surfaces are there in the city ?

3 ?

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:00 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Agreed. Bottom line, NY is NO LESS a hockey town than our two other Northeast cities, Philly or Boston.
(I do not consider Buffalo a northeast city, I consider Buffalo more the midwest/interior Northeast/ext of Canada).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Wait a second, the Islanders and Devils hardly bring anyone to MSG first of all...nothing compared to what we draw at their places. The only obnoxious fans that come are Philly (the whole city is trash btw) and Montreal (rude canadians, disrespect us and our country--very sad, actually). Other than that, there are very few road fans at MSG. Pittsburgh over the past year has brought nothing, and the blackhawks fans that were here last game were as quiet as a mouse.
Dude, the Isles and Devils both bring a lot of fans to MSG. Nothing like we do at their rink, but still, enough to be annoying.
The Nets at Knicks? Hahaha, you might get 5 Nets fans.
That's what annoys me about Knick fans, they have had it so easy in not having to deal with local competition.
And last Monday...it was obvious the Blackhawks fans were in full force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
The Knicks have a lot of fans on the road too. Good road following. Even in LA.

Lots of Laker fans in NY. Lebron fans and to some extent Celtic fans at MSG. Outside of them no NBA team fans travel well... throw the Knicks in with those teams that travel well.

I can't believe Knick fans got accused of rooting for the Lakers and chanting "MVP" to Kobe a couple of years ago. It was pretty obvious to me those were LAKER fans not Knick fans.
Knicks have ZERO road presence, or at least not in the same ballpark as the Rangers.
Not even close.

We all know that us Ranger fans who go to MSG have to deal with:
-Isles, Devils, Flyers, Habs, Leafs, Wings, Sabres, Blackhawks, Pens, and maybe a few Caps and Bruins fans.

Who do Knicks fans have to deal with at MSG?
Just the Celtics and Lakers?
And even then, do Celtics and Lakers fans come out in full force like Habs or Wings or Red Sox fans do in NY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I just want to clarify, the three NY hockey teams are NYR, NYI and BUF. I hate when some people consider the Devils a New York hockey team---they are not and never will be. I can't stand that state ....just the fact they own the statue of liberty makes me sick.
NY tri-state area...NJ counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan18nyr View Post
Flyers are prob. more popular then the Sixers in Philly.
True, but basketball is more popular as a sport in Philly.
The big 5+Sixers.

Old
11-06-2010, 11:01 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
NY is a hoops town

how many ice surfaces are there in the city ?

3 ?
By your logic, NY and Westchester are also more of a soccer than football town.

Old
11-06-2010, 11:05 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
And last Monday...it was obvious the Blackhawks fans were in full force.

NY tri-state area...NJ counts.

Disagree on both counts. NJ is not NY, I don't care if its tri-state area, its a different state. And I'm not sure which game you were at saying they were in "full force", yes they were a few red jerseys in the stands but they were awfully quiet ... most of them didn't even stand for a goal. Montreal has the fans that bother me, I often get very verbal in defending my team and my country when they are in town. I've never met any people as rude, obnoxious, and inconsiderate as Hab fans--I almost knocked a guys teeth in when he was booing the National Anthem next to me.

Last edited by BlueShirts88: 11-06-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old
11-06-2010, 11:11 PM
mucker*

Yea...why don't the Knicks have to deal with annoying Habs or Leaf fan equivilants?
Though the one Leaf game I saw at MSG, they had maybe 500 fans (2-22-2009).