HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is NYC more Rangers or Knicks?

Old
11-06-2010, 11:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Neither...

From my personal experiences, i'm one of the only people who's relatively knowledgeable about hockey. In this, i'm counting one of my friends who thought Scott Gomez was still on the Rangers. All the basketball fans I know are Lakers or Celtics bandwagoners, with the occasional Knicks fan.

The problem with hockey is that hockey itself just isn't as popular, and the problem with basketball is that the Knicks have been pretty terrible so everybody jumped on the good team bandwagons.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:27 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monmouth View Post
No it's not. What are you talking about? NY a basketball town?
Are you kidding?
NY is a baseball town 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
4th and 5th a football town.
Then a big gap.
After which basketball and hockey interchange depending on who is doing good.

I don't care if this comes as PC or not PC, but the only reason people call NY a basketball town is because of the urban/ethnic enclaves which distort people's perception.
Hockey in NY is huge, we have a very rabid fanbase which is why NY has 3 NHL teams and only 2 NBA teams.
The NHL locals get better TV ratings than the NBA locals if you add them up together (and even moreso if you factor in some Ranger games are on MSG2, and more Ranger/Devil/Islander games compete head to head than Knicks and Nets).

Hockey in NY is no less popular than hockey is in Philly or in Boston.
Our other northeast rival cities are no more a hockey than basketball town than NY.
Ehhhhhhh, to be honest i'd say (obviously from my experiences again) there's more die-hard Jets (in the past, lots of bandwagoners now) and Giants fans then there are real Yankees fans. Alot of people just bandwagon them because they're good and don't know anything about them or their history. Know plenty of hardcore Mets fans though, but I wouldn't say its THAT much of a real baseball town.

Also i'd say the reason for 3 hockey teams and 2 NBA teams is also because of the disparity between ethnicity you mention- do you really think people up in the real regions of upstate NY care about basketball?

Old
11-06-2010, 11:35 PM
mucker*

Huh? There are MANY bandwagon baseball fans but there are MANY hardcore baseball fans who just get overshadowed. To even argue that NY isn't a baseball town is ludicrous.

I think what I'm saying is (and maybe you) that a larger % of Yankee fans are bandwagon whereas most if not all Ranger/Met fans are hardcore (because how can you bandwagon).

Quote:
Also i'd say the reason for 3 hockey teams and 2 NBA teams is also because of the disparity between ethnicity you mention- do you really think people up in the real regions of upstate NY care about basketball?
Huh?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:45 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Huh? There are MANY bandwagon baseball fans but there are MANY hardcore baseball fans who just get overshadowed. To even argue that NY isn't a baseball town is ludicrous.

I think what I'm saying is (and maybe you) that a larger % of Yankee fans are bandwagon whereas most if not all Ranger/Met fans are hardcore (because how can you bandwagon).

Huh?
I take it you saying the Devs, Rangers and Isles in that statement now...sorry, I put Buffalo in there subconsciously instead of the Devs, and said that there's not 3 NBA teams because upstate NY isn't exposed to the basketball craze we see in urban areas.

And yeah, that is what i'm saying- really i was just saying baseball isn't THAT dominant in the city if you consider dominant by the true fans- I know it still irks out, but you make it sound like NY barely cares about the Giants/Jets.

Old
11-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Marc Staal

like I said earlier...I think its Knicks for now but when the NBA goes into a lockout that can change def.

Marc Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:49 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I take it you saying the Devs, Rangers and Isles in that statement now...sorry, I put Buffalo in there subconsciously instead of the Devs, and said that there's not 3 NBA teams because upstate NY isn't exposed to the basketball craze we see in urban areas.

And yeah, that is what i'm saying- really i was just saying baseball isn't THAT dominant in the city if you consider dominant by the true fans- I know it still irks out, but you make it sound like NY barely cares about the Giants/Jets.
No, I meant that the Yanks rule this area, but the Giants, Mets, Jets, in that order all are big.
There is a noticable dropoff from there to the winter sports.
The Knicks aren't really that much popular over the Rangers.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 07:39 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Agreed. Bottom line, NY is NO LESS a hockey town than our two other Northeast cities, Philly or Boston.
(I do not consider Buffalo a northeast city, I consider Buffalo more the midwest/interior Northeast/ext of Canada).

Dude, the Isles and Devils both bring a lot of fans to MSG. Nothing like we do at their rink, but still, enough to be annoying.
The Nets at Knicks? Hahaha, you might get 5 Nets fans.
That's what annoys me about Knick fans, they have had it so easy in not having to deal with local competition.
And last Monday...it was obvious the Blackhawks fans were in full force.

Knicks have ZERO road presence, or at least not in the same ballpark as the Rangers.
Not even close.

We all know that us Ranger fans who go to MSG have to deal with:
-Isles, Devils, Flyers, Habs, Leafs, Wings, Sabres, Blackhawks, Pens, and maybe a few Caps and Bruins fans.

Who do Knicks fans have to deal with at MSG?
Just the Celtics and Lakers?
And even then, do Celtics and Lakers fans come out in full force like Habs or Wings or Red Sox fans do in NY?

NY tri-state area...NJ counts.

True, but basketball is more popular as a sport in Philly.
The big 5+Sixers.
The Knicks have lots of fans on the road. Miami, LA, Atlanta, Toronto New Jersey and Philly really stand out.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:22 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

NYC, in order of coverage and fan base:

1) Yankees
2) Giants
3) Jets
4) Mets
5) Knicks
6) Rangers
7) Nets
8) Devils
9) Isles

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
do you really think people up in the real regions of upstate NY care about basketball?
I'd tell you to stop being so damn judgmental if I didn't think the exact same thing LOL... before I went to college in upstate NY (SUNY Oneonta). Basketball in the Binghamton-Syracuse-Albany-Utica area is really big. I'd say youth and high school b-ball is just as prevalent as hockey, maybe even more. Not to mention you have one of the top college b-ball programs in the country ('Cuse) and one that is on the rise (Siena).

Back to the OP's question: NEITHER! This is a baseball and football town. Ever listen to 1050 or the FAN? They talk about baseball 365 days a year, even during football season. It bugs the **** out of me because even though I love the Yankees, I love the Giants and Rangers a whole lot more.

Sports radio excludes the Knicks just as much as the Rangers.
WFAN:
Beningo and Roberts: only talk about baseball and football.
Francesa: baseball and football (and retarded crap like boxing and horse-racing)
Boomer and Carton: I don't even think they talk about sports most of the time, but the one shining light is that Boomer is a huge NYR fan and he DOES talk about them sometimes.

1050 ESPN
Mac and Tierney: they actually talk about the Knicks! but mostly baseball and football
Michael Kay: he's the announcer for the Yankees... what does that tell you? and he doesn't know crap about football anyway

So out of a total of 5 or 6 shows, 1 mentions the Rangers sometimes and 1 mentions the Knicks sometimes..

Last edited by Stugots: 11-07-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:51 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Knickerbockers, not question, but I think the Rangers have a more loyal fanbase.

Even Francesa acknowledges the Rangers have a very loyal fanbase.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:19 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Back to the OP's question: NEITHER! This is a baseball and football town. Ever listen to 1050 or the FAN? They talk about baseball 365 days a year, even during football season. It bugs the **** out of me because even though I love the Yankees, I love the Giants and Rangers a whole lot more.

Sports radio excludes the Knicks just as much as the Rangers.
WFAN:
Beningo and Roberts: only talk about baseball and football.
Francesa: baseball and football (and retarded crap like boxing and horse-racing)
Boomer and Carton: I don't even think they talk about sports most of the time, but the one shining light is that Boomer is a huge NYR fan and he DOES talk about them sometimes.

1050 ESPN
Mac and Tierney: they actually talk about the Knicks! but mostly baseball and football
Michael Kay: he's the announcer for the Yankees... what does that tell you? and he doesn't know crap about football anyway

So out of a total of 5 or 6 shows, 1 mentions the Rangers sometimes and 1 mentions the Knicks sometimes..
Again though, the Knicks relegation here is due primarily to the fact that they've been terrible for about a decade. Knicks material on the radio was prevalent in the 90s when they were regular contenders, but I never heard much hockey talk.

Like most people on a hockey message board, I love the Rangers and the NHL a whole lot more than the Knicks and the NBA. Both are niche sports, but basketball is just more popular here.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:59 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Baseball is the biggest even if there are a lot of casual/bandwagon fans. It makes the most money and while the Yankees are the biggest local team, they're also global.

On the talk radios, the reason the Rangers don't get mention on WFAN anymore is because they aren't aired on that station. There was always plenty of hockey talk even in the dark years like when the Lindros/Bure/Kovalev deals went down and Sather took over as coach etc (ugghh...bad memories).

There are three guys who talk hockey in this city; Beningo and he doesn't really anymore because he's on a mainstream daytime show, Sommers who still does sometimes, and Don Lagreca.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 11:20 AM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
Knickerbockers, not question, but I think the Rangers have a more loyal fanbase.

Even Francesa acknowledges the Rangers have a very loyal fanbase.
I'm shocked, anyone have this audio? I wont believe it until I hear it

11-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Baseball is the biggest even if there are a lot of casual/bandwagon fans. It makes the most money and while the Yankees are the biggest local team, they're also global.

On the talk radios, the reason the Rangers don't get mention on WFAN anymore is because they aren't aired on that station. There was always plenty of hockey talk even in the dark years like when the Lindros/Bure/Kovalev deals went down and Sather took over as coach etc (ugghh...bad memories).

There are three guys who talk hockey in this city; Beningo and he doesn't really anymore because he's on a mainstream daytime show, Sommers who still does sometimes, and Don Lagreca.
Exactly why I like listening to those 2 guys, but they are usually on for only an hour or for spot duty if someone is on vacation.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I just want to clarify, the three NY hockey teams are NYR, NYI and BUF. I hate when some people consider the Devils a New York hockey team---they are not and never will be. I can't stand that state ....just the fact they own the statue of liberty makes me sick.
I'm absolutely with you, but I believe Lady Liberty is still New York's.

About the Devils being a New York team, again, it makes me sick and I hate Jersey (state) too, but they're considered a New York team because they're in the metro area.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

We can all agree the Yankees themselves own the City.

Old
11-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Hockey is more popular in New York than Philly or Boston, in my opinion. Like you said, we have three teams. There's obviously a demand for them.
NHL hockey is bigger in NY than in Boston, but hockey in general is not. There are two huge names in college hockey in Boston, plus 2 more very good programs. Ever been to a Beanpot? Granted, I've never been to a Rangers playoff game because they missed just about every year that I went some games at MSG, but nothing I've ever experienced in the Garden was like being in (what was then) the Fleet Center for a Beanpot. That includes regular season Rangers v Islanders and Rangers v Devils games.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 12:28 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I'm shocked, anyone have this audio? I wont believe it until I hear it
Trust me, I was shocked too.

He was talking about how loyal the Giants fanbase is, then out of nowhere was like "The Rangers are also one of the few teams in this town to have a real loyal fanbase."

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 12:30 PM
skroob**

Out on the streets, the subways, etc.

I see far more rangers gear than knicks gear. (hats, jackets, etc).

Then again, i don't travel into areas of the city where one can assume a large amount of basketball fans.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Huge fan of both the Knicks and Rangers, and I would say the majority of people don't care at all about either. I mean all sports talk is Football and Hotstove baseball. I would go Knicks however because more people know the stars of the NBA then the NHL, and when someone like Kobe or Lebron comes into MSG it is a big night by the media, and I don't really get the sense it is the same when a Crosby or Ovechkin comes in to MSG.
i never understood how basketball is more popular over hockey. i guess most fans like to see the rap stars in the crowd or some famous actor . basketball puts me to sleep. i like sports that are not boring.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
i never understood how basketball is more popular over hockey. i guess most fans like to see the rap stars in the crowd or some famous actor . basketball puts me to sleep. i like sports that are not boring.
Demographics and every park seems to have at least six courts......... When a park is built, there's always going to be courts. It's cheap and easy.

Old
11-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
NHL hockey is bigger in NY than in Boston, but hockey in general is not. There are two huge names in college hockey in Boston, plus 2 more very good programs. Ever been to a Beanpot? Granted, I've never been to a Rangers playoff game because they missed just about every year that I went some games at MSG, but nothing I've ever experienced in the Garden was like being in (what was then) the Fleet Center for a Beanpot. That includes regular season Rangers v Islanders and Rangers v Devils games.
Very true.

But it seems like New Yorkers could care less about college sports, so the edge is to Boston.

Old
11-07-2010, 01:44 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I miss Max Kellerman. Sure he was a homer but he talked Knicks all the time.

Popularity:

1.Yankees
2.Mets
3.Giants
4.Jets
5.Knicks
6.Rangers
7.Nets
8.Islanders
9.Devils

Old
11-07-2010, 01:47 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
It's not considered an American/U.S game by the masses. Most people did not grow up in the U.S playing it so they don't identify/connect with it. Ditto Soccer. Americans like THEIR own sports for the most part.

Old
11-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
It's not considered an American/U.S game by the masses. Most people did not grow up in the U.S playing it so they don't identify/connect with it. Ditto Soccer. Americans like THEIR own sports for the most part.
Isn't basketball Canadian? As in invented in Canada.