What do you WANT for a verdict on Bergeron

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2003, 02:51 PM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
What do you WANT for a verdict on Bergeron

I think he played well enough again to stay and play. I'm thinking different after watching the game than this morning and think, what the heck make him second line center and make Green the third center. The more I watch Rolston the more I realize he should focus on using his above average speed and shot off the wing; he's also good defensively. If Bergeron stays he can't be 4th line getting time with the Groseks, Stocks, McCarthys and Donatos. He needs atleast one guy who 25 or more goals is very possible. With Samsonov you'd get to much swirling around and the kid may become a spectator. Rolston and either Knuble or Lapointe give you up and down in your lane wing play. Since Green and Lapointe might work pretty good you could also put the solid Mike Knuble with the rook and Rolston. Not a bad line and gets Rolston off the second line center position which I'm liking less and less each day.

Old
10-04-2003, 03:13 PM
Bruinaholic

Send a message via AIM to Bruinaholic
If Bergeron has a gritty forward and a leader in Lapointe on the RW and a Superstar in Samsonov on the Left then i say Hell Yes.
But since they insist on using Rolston at Center, where would they put ROllie w/ Knuble on the top line, Sammy on the 2nd and PJ on the 3rd line?

Old
10-04-2003, 03:14 PM
don

I agree with you DKH. Especially about Rolston being the 2nd C. I don't like it at all. I'd like to see Rolston as the 2nd LW, Bergeron in the middle and either Lapointe or Knuble on the RW.......at least for the 10 games. If it doesn't work out, send Bergeron back to Jrs and adjust the lines, maybe pick up another C someplace. With Green on board I'd play him at 3rd C but maybe he could handle the 2C job. He really didn't get that much ice time before so who knows. Regardless, I'd like to Rolston as either the #2 or #1 LW.

Old
10-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Bergeron

Bergeron should be our #2 center. Playing 3rd LW today he was better than our vet #2 "center" Rolston, who is wearing out his welcome in my books. Rolston is like the Berard of the forwards: great talent, plays as a lone agent, rushes around and causes chaos for his own teammates. There's a big reason why Rollie was never made the #2 last year when Stumpel couldn't get things going: HE ISN'T A FREAKIN' CENTER!!!

Keep it honest:

Murray Thornton Lapointe
Knuble Bergeron Samsonov
Rolston Green Axelsson
Zamuner/Grosek Stock/Donato McCarthy

McCarthy did WAY more than Rolston today. Oh, actually that's not true: Rolston gave the SH goal up and didn't attempt to get back at all.

Old
10-04-2003, 06:51 PM
sarge88

I've said it before but I absoltuely love the fact that NO ONE ever mentions any of Bergeron's "tangible" skills. How hard he shoots, how fast he skates, how physical he is or isn't is never mentioned. People are simply impressed with how well he plays hockey. I think he should be signed and played extensively for the first 10 games, if he can make it he should stay. That much time will certainly give people enough info to decide if he should stay. If he stays beyond 10 games and things seem to be too much at some point and he can't go back to juniors and can't go to providence, then maybe he can be loaned to the Canadien National team. (If that is possible, does anyone know for sure?)

Old
10-04-2003, 07:36 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88
If he stays beyond 10 games and things seem to be too much at some point and he can't go back to juniors and can't go to providence, then maybe he can be loaned to the Canadien National team. (If that is possible, does anyone know for sure?)
Bergeron CAN be sent back to juniors after 10 games played in the NHL. It's just that once he plays Game 10, this season would count as Year 1 of his three-year, entry-level contract. Plus, he'd be a year closer to arbitration rights, free agency, etc.

But teams send guys back after 20-25-30-40-45 games all the time.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:59 PM
Gary

A player is only as good as his linemates. Answer me this...what would a line of rolston-lapointe-samsonov be lacking?? speed?-me thinks not, defense?-not a problem, creativity? cant possibly be lacking with samsonov in the mix. The question is'nt whether or not rolston is a great 2nd line center...the question is can the entire line be a effective 2nd line unit? damn straight...i think there is little question. samsonov will assume the "control the flow of the game, and be creative" part that rolston is lacking. ultimately the result would be the same. let me just say this...IF rolly is the appointed #2 and samsonov is NOT on his line-then there's cause for concern. I hope to hell our staff realizes how much (with speed AND creativity) that sammy is NEEDED with rollie. aside from faceoffs and taking the other teams center iceman in our zone-sammy would be a AWESOME center

Old
10-05-2003, 02:03 AM
HockeyGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27
Bergeron CAN be sent back to juniors after 10 games played in the NHL. It's just that once he plays Game 10, this season would count as Year 1 of his three-year, entry-level contract. Plus, he'd be a year closer to arbitration rights, free agency, etc.

But teams send guys back after 20-25-30-40-45 games all the time.
The Bruins did it with Jonathan Girard... kept him around for 23 games or somesuch, then sent him to Providence for two weeks, then he went back to juniors for the remainder of that season.

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!
Old
10-05-2003, 03:10 AM
Jeff from Maine

Send Him Back TODAY!

And no, THIS is not indictment of what I think of him.

Rather it IS a statement on what I feel is best for his development.

I personally do not think that he is very effective right now. Sure, the kid is gonna be tremendous is a couple years.

But last night was a great example....he was a total spectator! he was completely out of sync with his linemates. Sure, thats a UNIT thing, but he was non-existant.

I think getting 22 minutes a night for hs junior team will be better than the inevitable 8-12 he will get in Boston.

I think he will be a great one down the line.... But as for right now, I dont think he is ready.

That 1st goal was completely his fault yesterday. he couldnt find his man.

What can he be expected tp bring to this team offensively?

If the answer is less than 45-50 points, I say he has to go.

His lack of defensive recognition right now will offset much of his ofenisve production.

We, myself included, have jumped on the Bergeron bandwagon because of his offense.

But we fail to mention that WLL CAMP he has been subpar defensively! He has been losing his man and not showing that defensive zip in his own zone.

That will come in time.

But you dont waste an NHL season because you want ONE guy to be added to the mix. You have to look at the WHOLE picture.

Later

Old
10-05-2003, 11:36 AM
misterjaggers

Bergeron, Samsonov etcetera

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
I think he [Bergeron] played well enough again to stay and play. I'm thinking...make him second line center and make Green the third center. The more I watch Rolston the more I realize he should focus on using his above average speed and shot off the wing;... If Bergeron stays [and centers]...Samsonov you'd get to much swirling around and the kid may become a spectator.
I agree with much of what you say. It looks like Bergeron is staying since O'Connell says negotiations are close in this morning's Herald (http://bruins.bostonherald.com/bruin...eid=16&format=) and on the radio yesterday he indicated Bergeron stays if he signs.

Rolston is a natural winger, not a center; however he doesn't mesh well with Samsonov (probably because they're both puck-hogs.)

It would be exciting to have Murray-Thorton-Samsonov as our first line, but it (obviously) doesn't leave us with a balanced offense.

Also, I think you want to maximize Joe's puck possession time, which doesn't happen playing with Sammy. We know that Murray-Thorton-Knuble works. Sully has looked at few alternatives to Knuble with mixed results.

Who do you pair Sammy with on the second line? I think there are three criteria: They need to be heady players that play well without the puck (since Sammy will be showing-off his unique shinny skills) and possess a scoring touch so he can dish off to them. Also, I think at least one of them needs some size and grit as protection, to crash the net and dig in the corners. I immediately think of Axelsson and Green; they're both great without the puck and have some scoring touch. Green supplies the size.

That also alleviates pressure on the rookie Bergeron. Instead of centering the second line, he's the third line pivot between Rolston and Lapointe/Hilbert/Huml/Samuelsson.

Old
10-05-2003, 02:32 PM
sarge88

Personally I would want Bergeron out there with at least one guy who can finish and one guy who can play physical. I think the best thing to do would be to put Rolston Bergeron and Knuble together and have Joe center Sammy and Murray. The third line would be Green centering Axelsson and Samuelsson, the fourth Stock, Grosek and McCarthy.

Old
10-05-2003, 07:49 PM
hardbody77

this guy came outta nowhere and i think he should be rewarded by atleast playing with the big boys opening night ... or perhaps a few more games to give him something to look forward to and further encourage this kid to work hard and develop into the big time talent the bruins think he can be. sending him back to the minors would benefit him much more then simply playing a few mins with our 4th line..but i believe this kid should play a few games to digest the nhl game before being sent down.

Old
10-06-2003, 05:46 AM
Stock Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardbody77
this guy came outta nowhere and i think he should be rewarded by atleast playing with the big boys opening night ... or perhaps a few more games to give him something to look forward to and further encourage this kid to work hard and develop into the big time talent the bruins think he can be. sending him back to the minors would benefit him much more then simply playing a few mins with our 4th line..but i believe this kid should play a few games to digest the nhl game before being sent down.
Right on.

I find myself at odds with a lot of what you say, but think you are pretty much on the mark with this one.

Bergeron may not be ready for a regular role at the NHL level, but just a few games should do wonders for his confidence. Not bad for a guy nobody outside of Bathurst had even heard of when the Bruins called his name...

I know I was ripped off when the B's turn came and Evgeni Tunik's name wasn't called. Looks like the Bruins were onto something all along. Kudos again to Scott Bradley and his scouts.

Old
10-06-2003, 07:14 AM
BondoBruin

Send a message via AIM to BondoBruin Send a message via Yahoo to BondoBruin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary
A player is only as good as his linemates. Answer me this...what would a line of rolston-lapointe-samsonov be lacking?? speed?-me thinks not, defense?-not a problem, creativity? cant possibly be lacking with samsonov in the mix. The question is'nt whether or not rolston is a great 2nd line center...the question is can the entire line be a effective 2nd line unit? damn straight...i think there is little question. samsonov will assume the "control the flow of the game, and be creative" part that rolston is lacking. ultimately the result would be the same. let me just say this...IF rolly is the appointed #2 and samsonov is NOT on his line-then there's cause for concern. I hope to hell our staff realizes how much (with speed AND creativity) that sammy is NEEDED with rollie. aside from faceoffs and taking the other teams center iceman in our zone-sammy would be a AWESOME center

Very well said! That is my choice for the 2nd line as well for those very reasons. If Rolly does not play with Sammy then he stays with Axe on the 3rd unit. Knuble on the 1st lines works, we know this, leave it alone. Let Sammy reside on the 2nd unit to spread the attack, with Rolly you will have a shooter to utilize his playmaking and Lapointe to add toughness and work the boards. Axe can then work with Green on the 3rd unit and maybe a rookie learning the ropes. 4th would be Stoker, McCarthy and Grosek...TOUGH line.

Old
10-06-2003, 07:31 AM
Pielsman

Personally I would want Bergeron out there with at least one guy who can finish and one guy who can play physical. I think the best thing to do would be to put Rolston Bergeron and Knuble together and have Joe center Sammy and Murray. The third line would be Green centering Axelsson
__________________________________________________ __________

I'm with Sarge (and most of you guys) in that I'd like to see Rolston moved to wing, or possibly stay as third line center. He just doesnt have the puck distribution skills needed to feed/ set up possible linemates like Sammy, Knuble or Lapointe.

I also agree that the top line should be Thornton, Murray and Knuble. Having Sammy on that line just makes the B's a one line team for all purposes.

Give Bergeron a chance at center, and Zino is waiting in the wings (hopefully) if Bergeron doesnt stick. -Piels

Closed Thread