HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Tortorella on Frolov

Old
11-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

vCash: 500
Tortorella on Frolov

Rangers' Frolov needs a spark: http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pr...s_a_spark.html

Quote:
However, Frolov, 28, has yet to regain his scoring touch despite starting the season on the top line with Marian Gaborik, though that lasted just three games. Frolov was given another opportunity in the Rangers’ 3-0 win over the Devils on Friday night at Prudential Center, with right wing Ryan Callahan missing the game due to a sore neck.

"I just want him not to look for something better when there’s a shot available," coach John Tortorella said. "I’m not upset with his effort at all. He has worked very hard. I just want him to get rewarded. I would like to see him score a goal from further away so he gets some confidence there."
Quote:
That’s been Frolov’s strength, holding and moving the puck deep in the opponent’s zone. He attempts plenty of wraparounds but his assist snapped a three-game scoreless streak and his last goal came in a 3-2 win at Boston on Oct. 23.

"He’s really strong underneath the hash marks and it’s really good in the way we’re trying to play," Tortorella said. "I just want him to take the opportunities. Like [Thursday], instead of throwing it on net, he goes in behind the net and [Mike] Richards is just licking his chops for him coming on the other side."

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 05:52 PM
OverTheCap

I agree with Torts.... I think the effort is there and he is snakebit much like Higgins was last year. I could see why some would think Frolov isn't trying because he is just so damn slow. Maybe he should take skating lessons with Barb Underhill like Boyle did.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 06:02 PM
hlundqvist30*

Yup. There's a difference between not producing and playing badly. Frolov hasn't scored, but he has played pretty well. It's not that he's been invisible. He just needs to start capitalizing. Shoot the damn puck, Frolov.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

I don't think Prust and EC are optimal linesmates for Frolov, anyways.

Cally will return to the lineup tommorow, so Fro will obviously be taken off AA's line... I'd possibly like to see him with Boyle and Avery for a couple of games to see if he can perform there, moving Feds down with Prust and EC.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 06:48 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
He attempts plenty wraparounds is the understatement of the century

z1co80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 06:50 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I think as Rangers fans we can agree that no one will ever be able to score on the wraparound like Mike Gartner.

Frolov is playing well. Not scoring and not shooting enough but working hard and they're winning. He has a lot of secondary assists which is fine and his backchecking has been impressive.

As long as he keeps doing that I'm more than happy with him.

No reason to pitchfork the guy, it's a one-year deal and he's not been dogging it. He might even win some Shootout games for the Rangers along the way.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I think as Rangers fans we can agree that no one will ever be able to score on the wraparound like Mike Gartner.
Stéphane Matteau says hi

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 07:55 PM
gotmonte

Gartner was the BEST EVER at Wrap arounds (no not REACH arounds lol) but Matteau wrap arounds were HUUGE for us

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 08:05 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post

Frolov is playing well. Not scoring and not shooting enough but working hard and they're winning. He has a lot of secondary assists which is fine and his backchecking has been impressive.

As long as he keeps doing that I'm more than happy with him.

No reason to pitchfork the guy, it's a one-year deal and he's not been dogging it. He might even win some Shootout games for the Rangers along the way.
Mike Gartner, favorite player to ever play the game. Idolized him as a kid, still sad that he was traded during the Cup run, but it wasnt meant to be.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 09:24 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutus Liber View Post
Mike Gartner, favorite player to ever play the game. Idolized him as a kid, still sad that he was traded during the Cup run, but it wasnt meant to be.
Same... Tried to wear #22 on every hockey team I ever played on.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 09:28 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
I don't think Prust and EC are optimal linesmates for Frolov, anyways.

Cally will return to the lineup tommorow, so Fro will obviously be taken off AA's line... I'd possibly like to see him with Boyle and Avery for a couple of games to see if he can perform there, moving Feds down with Prust and EC.
I like that idea

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:23 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

vCash: 873
Frolov's ideal linemate in the NHL would be Mike Knuble, someone to put away his wrap arounds.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:24 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Frolov-Boyle-Grachev should be a line. All big players who drive the net and work well down low.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:59 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Frolov is just plain SLOW

his skating is painful to watch

its not a fatal flaw as Luc Robitaille was also an average skater

his game isn't about skating so ideally he needs someone to carry the pill and feed him in the slot or to look for rebounds

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepanToGaborik View Post
Frolov-Boyle-Grachev should be a line. All big players who drive the net and work well down low.
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Frolov - Boyle - Grachev
Avery - Stepan - Fedotenko
Boogaard - Christensen - Prust

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:50 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
Frolov will score 2 tomorrow night against Halak and every1 will love him

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 01:34 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Yup. There's a difference between not producing and playing badly. Frolov hasn't scored, but he has played pretty well. It's not that he's been invisible. He just needs to start capitalizing. Shoot the damn puck, Frolov.
Same was said about Higgins.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 01:39 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Same was said about Higgins.
Higgins is "speshul". I've never seen a more snakebitten player.

Frolov is different. He has proven he's a goal scorer in this league. He has 5 20 goal seasons. Problem is, with the current lineup, he has absolutely no help. The guy is a complimentary player. Complimentary players don't score with Erik Christensen and Ruslan Fedotenko.

Old
11-07-2010, 01:53 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepanToGaborik View Post
Higgins is "speshul". I've never seen a more snakebitten player.

Frolov is different. He has proven he's a goal scorer in this league. He has 5 20 goal seasons. Problem is, with the current lineup, he has absolutely no help. The guy is a complimentary player. Complimentary players don't score with Erik Christensen and Ruslan Fedotenko.
Back in LA when he did tally those 30 goal seasons Frolov was not a complimentary player. He was more than that. However, today ; he may be a complimentary player and maybe even less then that. Time will tell.

Old
11-07-2010, 01:57 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
Back in LA when he did tally those 30 goal seasons Frolov was not a complimentary player. He was more than that. However, today ; he may be a complimentary player and maybe even less then that. Time will tell.
As I've said may times here, I'm not expecting Frolov to score with Prust and EC. When he's put on a line that is big, and is better at the forecheck, he will blossom. This guy is FAR from a sniper. He gets the dirty goals around the net, ala a Mike Knuble.

He hasn't been put in a position to do this. Putting him with players like Boyle, Avery, or Grachev could help, though. He also needs top PP unit time, with Dubi and AA. Put Callahan on the 2nd unit. Frolov will work wonders on a unit like that.

Old
11-07-2010, 02:02 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Even then he was complimentary....frolov was never considered elite....i think people on the EC just saw his numbers and thought differently...if you ask any kings fan though he was never considered up there with the big guns.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 02:15 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
Even then he was complimentary....frolov was never considered elite....i think people on the EC just saw his numbers and thought differently...if you ask any kings fan though he was never considered up there with the big guns.
You don't have to be elite to be a key part of the team. At one point for the kings Frolov was a important player for that team. Like Dubinsky is an important player for this team right now; he's not a complimentary piece.

Make no mistake about it. Frolov's game has declined over the last few seasons and if you don't want to believe that you're in denial. It's that simple.

The question still remains if he can find a spark w/ the Rangers. Nothing on that front just yet.

Old
11-07-2010, 05:42 AM
eco's bones

Frolov is very strong on the puck especially down low. The thing is he's not getting very many good scoring opportunities. Tortorella seems to think he needs to shoot more and that might be part of the problem. Anyway so far he reminds me more than anything of Marcel Hossa. Big wide body, great at holding and cycling the puck, very good skills but missing the killer instinct. Don't know if changing his linemates will help him but it's worth a try. Actually Stepan might be a good fit. He's struggling a bit as well. Putting him with Avery--one of them will have to shift to the right wing.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 07:11 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

alot of what fro does doesnt show up on the scorebaord. thats why i tend to agree with torts is saying. he hasnt played poorly- he just hasnt scored.

hes not, nor has he ever been really, a finisher. hes an opportunist scorer and hes very good on shootouts. at even strength, hes rarely in those prime scoring positions. you'll usually find him along the wall or behind the net making a good pass. hes a setup guy, always has been. as long as he isnt counted on to be a primary scorer, he will be a solid player doing his job with consistent effort.

dont forget, it isnt coincidence that fro's play has become less visible ever since gaby went out. hes the ying to gabys yang.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Vitto79

If Gaborik was healthy we would not be having this convo. Prospal would not hurt up the middle either

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote